Cubase Elements 6 - THE BIG QUESTION...

For users of legacy Steinberg Cubase software
Fitz

Cubase Elements 6 - THE BIG QUESTION...

Post by Fitz » Tue May 24, 2011 4:07 pm

CE6 looks very interesting for me to put on my laptop and carry around.

Now for the important question which will basically decide if I buy it or not:

Does it need a stupid dongle?
macOS 10.11.x / C9.5 Pro

Fitz

Re: Cubase Elements 6 - THE BIG QUESTION...

Post by Fitz » Tue May 24, 2011 6:34 pm

Well after digging a bit I found this:

http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/cu ... loads.html

Which apparently lists a ****ing dongle requirement.
Be aware Steinberg that I would have bought this if it didn't need a stupid ****ing dongle.

Seriously - get with the times. This is 2011 and people use LAPTOPS and don't want to 1) lose 50% of the USB ports, or 2) have to keep a laptop with a fragile piece of plastic sticking out of the side.

I mean - your own eLicenser technology supports a soft-license type DRM. WHY CAN'T WE HAVE NICE THINGS!?!?!?!?!

*EDIT - turns out it uses the soft eLicenser! Laptop users rejoice! I am downloading now. (Thanks to crohde for the info)
Last edited by Fitz on Wed May 25, 2011 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
macOS 10.11.x / C9.5 Pro

alexis
Grand Senior Member

Post by alexis » Tue May 24, 2011 6:42 pm

Fitz - this was EXACTLY what I was wondering about. I probably would buy it in an instant as well if it didn't need a dongle - for laptop use while airplane travelling, etc. But since it does ... that's an extra $99 that Steinberg isn't getting.

Oh well!
Alexis

-Cubase "Safe Start Mode" (CTRL-ALT-SHIFT)
-Get variable-tempo audio to follow a grid here,
-Replacing freely-timed section into a variable tempo project

Cubase 9.0.20; i5-4570 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM; W10 Pro 64-bit on Samsung SSD 840 Pro 256GB; Seagate 1TB SATA 600 Audio; UR28M; Motif8; UAD-2 Solo; Jamstix 3.6; RevoicePro3.3; EZDrummer 2

Centralmusic
Grand Senior Member

Post by Centralmusic » Tue May 24, 2011 7:19 pm

I would like to compare this with Magix´s Samplitude: the smallest (!) version of SAM does not (!) require a dongle. Very nice, indeed.
I have no problem with the cubase dongle in the studio, easy to use.
But why is this user-friendly strategy of Magix not possible for the cubase series?
!!! NOTE: This is a user forum. It's from users to users. This is not a technical support forum. Therefore sometime some Steinberg employees appear here and help the users. !!!
"Do you already know the manual?"
Kennst du schon das Handbuch?"

Fitz

Post by Fitz » Tue May 24, 2011 8:29 pm

Centralmusic wrote:I would like to compare this with Magix´s Samplitude: the smallest (!) version of SAM does not (!) require a dongle. Very nice, indeed.
But why is this user-friendly strategy of Magix not possible for the cubase series?
It is possible - the eLicenser software supports a 'Soft-eLicenser' (SeL). You can actually transfer your dongle license into the SeL on a machine and back again. Steinberg just don't enable the functionality which is quite frankly, boneheaded IMO. Their excuse? Because it's apparently 'easier' for their users to limit them to a stupid ****ing physical dongle.

It's sh1t like this that drives people to competitors.
macOS 10.11.x / C9.5 Pro

Centralmusic
Grand Senior Member

Post by Centralmusic » Tue May 24, 2011 9:04 pm

Fitz wrote:CE6 looks very interesting for me to put on my laptop and carry around.
+ 1.

Fitz wrote:Their excuse? Because it's apparently 'easier' for their users to limit them to a stupid ****ing physical dongle.
+ 1000000000.
!!! NOTE: This is a user forum. It's from users to users. This is not a technical support forum. Therefore sometime some Steinberg employees appear here and help the users. !!!

Paul Bryce

Post by Paul Bryce » Tue May 24, 2011 10:03 pm

Centralmusic wrote:I would like to compare this with Magix´s Samplitude: the smallest (!) version of SAM does not (!) require a dongle. Very nice, indeed.
I use Samplitude 11 Producer for my laptop, no dongle required !

Like you, I have no problem with the Cubase/WL dongles in the Studio, they are never removed but am not prepared for all the hassles that could occur using dongles in the laptop.
Near the Rockies, Alberta

bern

Post by bern » Tue May 24, 2011 11:10 pm

This is no big deal. Get a short USB extensiion cable and you will not have to worry about a hard thing sticking out of your laptop. If you want Cubase, go with the program. Or, not! Too much whining. :cry:
PC, Intel Core2 Quad, ASUS, 4Gigs, Windows 7 32Bit, RME FF800, Soundcraft Spirit, studio site -
STUDIO

S4410

Post by S4410 » Tue May 24, 2011 11:17 pm

I really can't understand why anyone from Steinberg doesn't bother to answer to some simple questions.
After all,we are willing to BUY. I already asked twice about compatibility and dongle and received a big silence instead :?
http://www.steinberg.net/forum/viewtopi ... =19&t=8789

Anyway,according to this thead in kvraudio
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... ts#4508887
Carlos M. Rohde ,Cubase product marketing coordinator ,says that
''This Cubase version doesn't need a USB-eLicenser (dongle), it works with a software based copy protection (Soft-eLicenser)

Now,if anyone could confirm...
Windows 10 Home | i7 3770k | Intel DZ77BH-55K | 32GB | Asus AMD 6450 | RME HDSPe AiO | Cubase Pro 10 | Wavelab Pro 9.5 | Dorico Pro 2| iC| NI Komplete 11 | VSL Special Editions | Ableton Live Intro (rewired) | UAD-2 Quad

Macbook 2.4 | Mac OS X 10.7.5 | Cubase Elements 8

Post by Guest » Wed May 25, 2011 12:15 am

S4410 wrote:I really can't understand why anyone from Steinberg doesn't bother to answer to some simple questions.
Maybe you should check this for the answer about the Soft-eLicenser on Elements.

It states: "To run Cubase Elements 6 you have to activate the product license on your Soft-eLicenser by using the activation code. "

Fitz

Post by Fitz » Wed May 25, 2011 12:55 am

niles wrote: Maybe you should check this for the answer about the Soft-eLicenser on Elements.

It states: "To run Cubase Elements 6 you have to activate the product license on your Soft-eLicenser by using the activation code. "
Now that's interesting and directly contradicts the system requirements that clearly state a USB requirement.

Hmm.. there may be hope yet.

Can anyone confirm if the download version works with the soft-eLicenser for sure?
Last edited by Fitz on Wed May 25, 2011 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
macOS 10.11.x / C9.5 Pro

Fitz

Post by Fitz » Wed May 25, 2011 1:04 am

Paul Bryce wrote:I use Samplitude 11 Producer for my laptop, no dongle required !
While I'm sure Samplitude is great, it would mean learning to work with another package and if I was going to do that I might as well switch to Logic or Ableton (both of which I am licensed for, I just prefer Cubase).

Paul Bryce wrote:Like you, I have no problem with the Cubase/WL dongles in the Studio, they are never removed but am not prepared for all the hassles that could occur using dongles in the laptop.
Absolutely. There is simply no way I would ever risk a dongle on the road knowing that if it breaks, lost or stolen then I'm basically ****ed and potentially looking at damaged USB ports on a very expensive laptop.
macOS 10.11.x / C9.5 Pro

Fitz

Post by Fitz » Wed May 25, 2011 1:09 am

bern wrote:This is no big deal.
For you perhaps. Guess what? Other people have different requirements.
bern wrote: Get a short USB extensiion cable and you will not have to worry about a hard thing sticking out of your laptop. If you want Cubase, go with the program. Or, not! Too much whining. :cry:
Then I have a short USB cable sticking out of my laptop... with a stupid dongle on the end. This is not a solution.
macOS 10.11.x / C9.5 Pro

S4410

Post by S4410 » Wed May 25, 2011 1:17 am

niles wrote:
Maybe you should check this for the answer about the Soft-eLicenser on Elements.

Well that's a Steinberg.net page alright ! But it's so well hidden that no one could find it!
It's not in the Elements 6 product page and it's the opposite from what is stated in the specs and downloads>minimum requirements page...

But it's a sign...And it's also a disrespect from Steinberg people that we are not getting a clear answer....maybe they don't know themselves.
Windows 10 Home | i7 3770k | Intel DZ77BH-55K | 32GB | Asus AMD 6450 | RME HDSPe AiO | Cubase Pro 10 | Wavelab Pro 9.5 | Dorico Pro 2| iC| NI Komplete 11 | VSL Special Editions | Ableton Live Intro (rewired) | UAD-2 Quad

thinkingcap
Grand Senior Member

Post by thinkingcap » Wed May 25, 2011 2:28 am

S4410 wrote:And it's also a disrespect from Steinberg people that we are not getting a clear answer....maybe they don't know themselves.
I´m almost sure, it´s because the "real" day to day job of the "Steinberg people" is not (in the first place) answering questions of people who need their (of course more-important-than-anything-) questions answered only by "Steinberg people", even if the info can be found on their page...
S4410 wrote:-...and it's the opposite from what is stated in the specs and downloads>minimum requirements page...
If you´re talking about this page
Then you will see, that all the links refer to Cubase 6 and Cubase Artist 6, and therefore probably don´t apply to Cubase Essential 6.
Cubase 5.1.1 (32bit) | Win 7 Pro x64 SP1 | RME Fireface UFX | RME Fireface 800 | Cubase Essential 5 | Win 7 Home Premium x64
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just took off my thinkingcap, it got filled up with too much crap...

Split
Grand Senior Member

Post by Split » Wed May 25, 2011 8:31 am

thinkingcap wrote:
S4410 wrote: If you´re talking about this page
Then you will see, that all the links refer to Cubase 6 and Cubase Artist 6, and therefore probably don´t apply to Cubase Essential 6.
Thats what I think too, It just mentions C6
??????Split
Cubase 10|MOTU 16A
Still at it... just!

Fitz

Post by Fitz » Wed May 25, 2011 8:40 am

thinkingcap wrote: even if the info can be found on their page....
And which page would that be? The one niles linked to? I have no idea where niles found that but it is certainly not easy to find.

Steinberg.net -> Now available, Cubase Elements 6 - *click*

Nothing about licensing.

Ok lets click at the top - Products - Cubase / Versions

Some info but nothing about licensing. Detailed comparison?

Nothing about licensing.

Link at the top of the page - Specs & Downloads

Aha - licensing, nothing mentioning any specific version of Cubase, only a reference to 'the software'. Clearly says: "USB port for USB-eLicenser (license management)"

I don't know where niles found that link that mentions the SeL, but it is certainly anything other than 'easy to find'.
macOS 10.11.x / C9.5 Pro

Fitz

Post by Fitz » Wed May 25, 2011 8:49 am

Bredo wrote:Niles gave you the answer. So don't make such a big deal about it.

But where did he find that link? It's certainly not in any obvious place, and in fact in the 'obvious' place (namely the big links at the top of the page) it clearly states that USB is needed.
Bredo wrote:There are only one advantage with the Soft-eLicenser. No dongle needed :-)
The downside is that the product is locked to that one computer/laptop, whereas with a dongle you can...... you guessed it :-)
The 'only one advantage' is kind of the point.
Bredo wrote:I installed for a friend another Steinberg software with the Soft-eLicenser on his laptop, but he felt restricted. He ended up buying an empty e-License dongle and transfering his Soft-eLicense to that, so as he could move the dongle between his laptop and home computer.
Classic straw man argument if ever I heard one. Never mind guys - bredo's friend said he preferred the physical dongle - I guess that means we only imagined thinking it would be great if we didn't have to use one.
Bredo wrote:Another advantage with the dongle is that its much easier if you have to rebuild/reinstall your computer/software - just install and you are already authorized (its a hazzle to go through all that online/pr computer authorization again and again). Just attach your ...... (fill in the blanks). Nice and smooth.
I don't know about you, but I have never had to rebuild any of my Macs. And you know what? If I did? That's not your problem.
Bredo wrote:Me myself uses the two bigger brothers Cubase and Nuendo and live happily with the dongle.
I use Cubase 6 on the main studio Mac Pro, and as it's a fixed machine that never moves, the dongle isn't a problem. For my laptop however with only two USB ports and when travelling, it IS a problem for me and a number of other people. You are happy with the dongle? I have no problem with this, but do not tell me what is best for my situation.

The eLicenser technology permits the transfer of licenses to and from a USB dongle and a machine. You want to use a dongle, that's great, use a dongle. How does allowing other people to transfer it into their laptop affect you in any way whatsoever?
macOS 10.11.x / C9.5 Pro

Post by Guest » Wed May 25, 2011 1:03 pm

Fitz wrote:I don't know where niles found that link that mentions the SeL, but it is certainly anything other than 'easy to find'.
True, the lack of a search engine on Steinberg's site is a PITA when you need this kind of info.
But we have Google 8-)
Although, that isn't easy either because of the excessive use of heading tags in the code of the Steinberg site. But it does the job.

Also check this Getting started video @ 0.58, nothing about an USB port.

Elements can also be bought as download, again, nothing about an USB licenser.
When an USB-eLicenser is required, you get notified in the Steinberg shop by this phrase: "USB-eLicenser required What is this?" .

When I check out Elements at my favorite musicstore, one of the requirements is:
"Internet Connection for Licenc activation required", again, nothing about an USB licenser.

Elements is officially released may 23rd so it could be not all the info is up to date yet on the Steinberg site.

Edit: Don't want to be a smartass, but a little side note for if you want a chance to get an answer from a Steinberg representative in the future. Use a clear subject title for your question like: "Cubase Elements 6, USB- or Soft-ELicenser?" instead of an abstract subject line like: "Cubase Elements 6 - THE BIG QUESTION..."

Centralmusic
Grand Senior Member

Post by Centralmusic » Wed May 25, 2011 2:08 pm

What??
I was often traveling all the years with my laptop and Cubase on it.
Every day I´ve lost my dongle, so every time I bought a new one and a new complete license. (only for safety these days, you newer know..)
I've got so used to it - and now??
suddenly everything will be different??
no more dongle for Cubase (Elements)?
I do not feel well.
I'm close to tears.
No kiddin´.
:mrgreen:
(But let's wait first, I expect a concrete statement from Steinberg, then you can reach me handkerchiefs)

alexis
Grand Senior Member

Post by alexis » Wed May 25, 2011 2:10 pm

niles wrote:...
Edit: Don't want to be a smartass, but a little side note for if you want a chance to get an answer from a Steinberg representative in the future. Use a clear subject title for your question ...
In most cases I'd agree 100% with you, but here ...?
Alexis

-Cubase "Safe Start Mode" (CTRL-ALT-SHIFT)
-Get variable-tempo audio to follow a grid here,
-Replacing freely-timed section into a variable tempo project

Cubase 9.0.20; i5-4570 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM; W10 Pro 64-bit on Samsung SSD 840 Pro 256GB; Seagate 1TB SATA 600 Audio; UR28M; Motif8; UAD-2 Solo; Jamstix 3.6; RevoicePro3.3; EZDrummer 2

S4410

Post by S4410 » Wed May 25, 2011 2:23 pm

niles wrote:
Also check this Getting started video @ 0.58, nothing about an USB port.
Thank you niles for this link,the videos will answer many of our questions,i guess

I guess,these ''landing pages'' in the url are not ready to land on the official website yet
Nevertheless a quick response from the mods would not hurt and would have stopped us speculating and googling .
And would increase sales very quickly :|

Post by Guest » Wed May 25, 2011 2:45 pm

alexis wrote:
niles wrote:...
Edit: Don't want to be a smartass, but a little side note for if you want a chance to get an answer from a Steinberg representative in the future. Use a clear subject title for your question ...
In most cases I'd agree 100% with you, but here ...?
I afraid I'm not sure what you mean by that?
I know Steinberg representatives and moderators are hardly answering any questions here, but at least one has chance by using a recognisable subject topic.
Next to that it's a lot easier for other users with related answers or questions or search query's to filter the results.

Especially in this thread where people demand clarification, I though this was very ON-topic when you look at what Steinberg's information stew and the vagueness does with its users. ;)

But like I said, I don't want to be priggish 8-)
Fitz wrote:Then I have a short USB cable sticking out of my laptop... with a stupid dongle on the end. This is not a solution.
Most likely not the solution you want either (no dongle), but I did a successful test a year ago by using the dongle across my network (Cubase 5).
I was planning to test its behaviour and timing through a VPN tunnel to reach it from the outside (WAN), but I didn't had the time and possibility to do it then.

I'm not sure if it still works with Cubase 6 and the new eLicenser software but it's an option for those people who don't want a dongle in their laptop but still want to use their Cubase.

For anyone who would like to experiment with this, the topic is on the old forum here

crohde

Post by crohde » Wed May 25, 2011 3:39 pm

Hello guys,

Cubase Elements 6 does not require a USB-eLicenser! (i.e. USB-dongle)

It uses a software based copy protection system called Soft-eLicenser.
So basically it's the biggest Cubase version you can get without the need of a USB-port for the dongle.
Best regards,

Carlos Rohde - Product Marketing Manager Cubase & Apps
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany
Check out Steinberg on YouTube, Twitter and Facebook

Post by Guest » Wed May 25, 2011 3:57 pm

Hi Carlos

Is it to be inferred that this particular version is only available online?

Return to “Older Cubase versions”