Adding midi drums to music

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 8, Cubase Artist 8 and Cubase Elements 8 here.
stacey7890

Adding midi drums to music

Post by stacey7890 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:36 pm

Hello Folks, I'm new to recording and having fun putting my guitar and vocal tracks together with great results!
Here are some examples: https://soundcloud.com/trap-light-422409181

I would now like to add some simple drum beats using some kind of program or midi device. I own a midi keyboard.
Is there something built into Cubase 8 or a program to buy that is easy to use to add drums - especially for a noob/non-drummer. I've looked over the manual/forums/youtube and cannot understand what function of the drum map.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Martin.Jirsak
Forum Elder

Re: Adding midi drums to music

Post by Martin.Jirsak » Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:01 pm

Hi and welcome,

You can use built-in drummer Groove Agent SE. This contains sounds, and loops. See some videos from here, please. This is the full version of Groove Agent 4. In Cubase, there is limited Groove Agent SE version included. But the basis is the same.
Martin Jirsak
How to show notes of the chord/scale only
Cubase Training

Cubase Pro (last officially supported version all the time)
macOS (last update)

stacey7890

Post by stacey7890 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:44 pm

Thanks Martin - the demonstrations all start with the groove agent already open - If groove agent is in my Cubase, how would I go about finding it and putting it to use? Trust me, I'm not looking for hand holding - I've read, watched and tried everything I can think of.

Martin.Jirsak
Forum Elder

Post by Martin.Jirsak » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:46 pm

Hi,

in the Project menu, select Add Track > Instrument. Add Instrument Track window appears. Click to the No VST Instrument, and select Groove Agent SE, here. Now, the VSTi Groove Agent appears.

Maybe, you should have a look on these videos.
Martin Jirsak
Cubase Training

macOS (last update)

stacey7890

Post by stacey7890 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:22 am

I see now what the issue is - Groove Agent is simply not there - only something called Halion synth. Thanks for all your help though Martin - I'll either buy Groove Agent or something like it.

Martin.Jirsak
Forum Elder

Post by Martin.Jirsak » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:02 am

What version of Cubase do you exactly have? The Groove Agen SE should be part even of Cubase Elements (but I'm not sure with Cubase AI/LE).
Martin Jirsak
Cubase Training

macOS (last update)

Sundayforsammy

Post by Sundayforsammy » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:05 pm

stacey7890 wrote:I see now what the issue is - Groove Agent is simply not there - only something called Halion synth. Thanks for all your help though Martin - I'll either buy Groove Agent or something like it.
I like Addictive drums which has some really nice drum sounds, a demo version is available from the Addictive drums website to try free.
Cubase Pro 9 i7 3630QM Clevo P170EM Laptop PC - 16gb ram - 128 SSD OS hard drive - 1Tb Data Hard Drive - Windows 10 home - Motu 828mk3 Audio Interface - Roland SC880 Midi module - KRK Rockit 3 monitors, Alesis DM6 drum kit and a few guitars and a broken keyboard.

stacey7890

Post by stacey7890 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:16 pm

Martin.Jirsak wrote:What version of Cubase do you exactly have? The Groove Agen SE should be part even of Cubase Elements (but I'm not sure with Cubase AI/LE).
I have a version that I was able to download with my purchase of the UR242 - it has Cubase elements, LE and AI. Do you think I should have access to a basic level of Groove Agent? Maybe I have to reinstall or contact support?

stacey7890

Post by stacey7890 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:23 pm

Sundayforsammy wrote:
stacey7890 wrote:I see now what the issue is - Groove Agent is simply not there - only something called Halion synth. Thanks for all your help though Martin - I'll either buy Groove Agent or something like it.
I like Addictive drums which has some really nice drum sounds, a demo version is available from the Addictive drums website to try free.
Thanks for the advice. I've tried the EZ drummer trial already - it caused some kind of corruption - popping/clicks - to the song I was working with (other than the lousy input I was doing) - luckily I was able to back out without saving and the song wasn't ruined.

stacey7890

Post by stacey7890 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:10 pm

stacey7890 wrote:
Martin.Jirsak wrote:What version of Cubase do you exactly have? The Groove Agen SE should be part even of Cubase Elements (but I'm not sure with Cubase AI/LE).
I have a version that I was able to download with my purchase of the UR242 - it has Cubase elements, LE and AI. Do you think I should have access to a basic level of Groove Agent? Maybe I have to reinstall or contact support?
I see the files are installed and I tried a few things from the knowledge base to try to bring it over to Cubase. Still no luck so I've contacted support.

Solved - ok, so I contacted support and it turns out I only have Cubase AI (no groove agent) - so I ordered the Elements 8 upgrade - I should have the groove agent up and running soon. Cheers everyone.
Last edited by stacey7890 on Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paterrob

Post by paterrob » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:10 pm

stacey7890 wrote:
Sundayforsammy wrote:
Thanks for the advice. I've tried the EZ drummer trial already - it caused some kind of corruption - popping/clicks - to the song I was working with (other than the lousy input I was doing) - luckily I was able to back out without saving and the song wasn't ruined.
The pops and clicks you hear are most probably caused by your ASIO buffer latency and not corruption.
iMac 3.4GHz, i7, 32GB, OSX 10.8.2
Cubase Pro 8.0.10 (64bit)
Apogee Duet, Axiom Pro 49, Maschine Studio 2.4 (64 bit)

stacey7890

Post by stacey7890 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:39 pm

Hi paterrob, I think you may be right, I was using the computer card at the time vs. the Steinberg product.

Martin.Jirsak
Forum Elder

Post by Martin.Jirsak » Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:12 pm

Hi,

The internal soundcard doesn't have an ASIO driver. So there is alway issue with the real-time audio. Select your UR242 as a soundcard in the Devices > Device Setup > VST Audio System. Then on the left side of the window, select the Yamaha/Steinberg ASIO driver. Click to Control Panel. Here find a Buffer Size (or latency), and increase it.

I hope, you like all possibilities of Groove Agent 4 SE, which is included in Cubase Elements.
Martin Jirsak
Cubase Training

macOS (last update)

Return to “General”