What I Love About Cubase

For users of legacy Steinberg Cubase software
dagmarpiano

What I Love About Cubase

Post by dagmarpiano »

...is how it crashes so often!

I've been using it since the Atari ST in 1991 and it's never stopped randomly crashing, like Ol' faithful, thar she blows, 4 times a day during autosave, changing latency or just for the fun of it.

7.0.4 hasn't let me down at all!

Hooray!
MacOS Catalina | Cubase Pro 10.5.2 | 2018 iMac Pro (18-core 64GB, 4TB SSD)

Owner,
Gothic Storm Music http://www.gothic-storm.com

Re: What I Love About Cubase

Post by Guest »

your so lucky I wish I could say the same but ive being let down by Steinberg , non of that functionality you are talking about happens here , im gutted , no crashes :( no hiccups :o and the most annoying thing is when I actually get round to making a tune .......it bloody works , how dare you Steinberg how dare you !!!!!!!!

Pete

Post by Pete »

filterfreak wrote:your so lucky I wish I could say the same but ive being let down by Steinberg , non of that functionality you are talking about happens here , im gutted , no crashes :( no hiccups :o and the most annoying thing is when I actually get round to making a tune .......it bloody works , how dare you Steinberg how dare you !!!!!!!!
It's almost scary that such a complex program can be so stable...
Sweden
MacPro 2.8. 10 gig Ram. OS 10.9.2, MacBookPro, 2x MH ULN-2 2D +DSP, Focusrite OctoPre, MOTU midi express XT, Roland keyboard, JV1080, Cubase7, LogicProX, DSP-Quattro, Sibelius 7, NI Komplete, FabFilter, PSP, OhmForce, Aether, AltiVerb, AutoTune, Melodyne. Cubase IC Pro

dagmarpiano

Post by dagmarpiano »

ah you lucky mortals with your small requirements. unfortunately as a god-like 'power user' with far more orchestral plugins stuffed into my projects than my 16GB retina mac book pro can handle, I'm doomed to endlessly freeze tracks and reboot as it all collapses around me several times a day.

"there is a backup newer than this version", or words to that effect, is the constant refrain.

yes cubase, I'll load that and rename it "xxx-01.cpr", it's the least I could do for you my frail old servant

Owner,

Post by Guest »

Are you finding cubase crashing during autosave? check you dont have write automation enabled. cubase crashes when you have write automation enabled on an older VST 2.2 plugins... and you try to save the file whilst it is playing... has happened since 6.5

Post by Guest »

Xtigma. wrote:Are you finding cubase crashing during autosave? check you dont have write automation enabled. cubase crashes when you have write automation enabled on an older VST 2.2 plugins... and you try to save the file whilst it is playing... has happened since 6.5
oh and did i mention that it corrupts the file also. that's ALWAYS fun.. thankfully i have my autosaves set to 30 seconds..

dagmarpiano

Post by dagmarpiano »

no i don't have write automation enabled. this is just the regular business as usual healthy 4-crashes a day I know and love

Owner,

HarrySound

Post by HarrySound »

Maybe you should try switching to the PC or Mac, I mean your Atari ST must be getting slow by now.
I believe GODS is available on PC and Mac too so it'll play all your games!

curteye
External Moderator

Post by curteye »

Pete wrote:such a complex program can be so stable...
+1
{'-'}
If yer gear ain't breakin down, you aint workin' much.

iMac 5K 4.2Gz 16GB
MBP 3.0Gz......16GB

On the side of a volcano in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.

Teo

Post by Teo »

dagmarpiano wrote:ah you lucky mortals with your small requirements. unfortunately as a god-like 'power user' with far more orchestral plugins stuffed into my projects than my 16GB retina mac book pro can handle, I'm doomed to endlessly freeze tracks and reboot as it all collapses around me several times a day.

"there is a backup newer than this version", or words to that effect, is the constant refrain.

yes cubase, I'll load that and rename it "xxx-01.cpr", it's the least I could do for you my frail old servant

It is possible for immortals like yourself to buy a real processing tower, like the Mac Pro or PC, whatever which....hahaha. There's RAM, too! :D

But at least you've got something stable. Good on ya.

dagmarpiano

Post by dagmarpiano »

Mac Pro indeed. The MacBook Pro retina is faster than any current Mac Pro model. 16GB RAM is a bit on the small side though I admit. I could definitely use 32GB.

As for windows... I just can't bear to look at those big red crosses and stoopid ugly graphics, error messages, inexplicable faults. I was stuck on windows for years until I could finally afford macs and I don't intend to go back to the dark place.

Owner,

Post by Guest »

dagmarpiano wrote:As for windows... I just can't bear to look at those big red crosses and stoopid ugly graphics, error messages, inexplicable faults. I was stuck on windows for years until I could finally afford macs and I don't intend to go back to the dark place.
says the man that's complaining about crashes :lol: :lol: carry on happy crashing then dude :D :D

dagmarpiano

Post by dagmarpiano »

So, you think macs crash more than pcs? That certainly isn't my experience. But then again, I was trying to run 4 pcs with giant orchestral templates strung together with fxteleport. Bad old days.

Owner,

Post by Guest »

who's the one complaining about random crashes ?

dagmarpiano

Post by dagmarpiano »

filterfreak - I wasn't really complaining. If anything I was extolling the warm familiarity of seeing the usual low level of mysterious freezes. I'm sure it's occasional bugs and nothing to do with my sometimes-demanding projects.

It only crashed once yesterday, when I was printing a score as a PDF and wanted to overwrite a previous file. Random freeze. Was it the end of the world? No, I just restarted as usual. WIll I bother reporting it? Nope, unless it keeps happening. Was a repeatable bug? I don't know, I don't really feel like I've got time to test it.

I haven't got time to write this either, but what can I say? I waste time. I'm a composer, it's in the blood.

Anyway, stable or not, surely almost everyone who uses Cubase for over 8 hours every day is going to get some crashes and freezes, you could probably say that about most software I imagine.

Don't you?

Owner,

dr4kan

Post by dr4kan »

dagmarpiano wrote:The MacBook Pro retina is faster than any current Mac Pro model.
nice joke...
Cubase 7.5, Mac i7 16 GB ram (512 + 512 Samsung 840 pro), OSX 10.9.0
MR816X, Motu Ultralite, UAD 2, MCU Pro, CC121, Adam A7x, Axiom 49...

cmaffia

Post by cmaffia »

HarrySound wrote:Maybe you should try switching to the PC or Mac, I mean your Atari ST must be getting slow by now.
I believe GODS is available on PC and Mac too so it'll play all your games!
"Into.... the wonderful.... Into...the wonderful"
2 Cascaded Tascam DM3200's - IF-FW/DMMKII - IF-AN/DM - Tascam DA-3000 Mastering Recorder - Apogee Rosetta 200 - Cubase 9.0.30 - Sweetwater Creation Station 400 - i7-3770, 3.4GHz Quad Core - 8GB RAM - Windows 7 & 10 Home - UAD-2 Solo - UAD-2 Duo - Steinberg CC121 - 2 x Frontier Tranzport - Wavelab 9 32/64-Bit

Bandcamp: The Sweats
Check out The Bastudio

dagmarpiano

Post by dagmarpiano »

dr4kan wrote:
dagmarpiano wrote:The MacBook Pro retina is faster than any current Mac Pro model.
nice joke...
hmm that was almost entirely true mid 2012 but I guess I've been left behind already :)

Owner,

greggybud

Post by greggybud »

dagmarpiano wrote:surely almost everyone who uses Cubase for over 8 hours every day is going to get some crashes and freezes,
Which makes me wonder about those who say it never crashes. :mrgreen: Then I wonder what kind of load they run Cubase under? How much processing, how many VSTI's, how many tracks etc.

I have an i7 16 gig Windows 64 Cubase 64 and I get an occasional crash. But I still believe Cubase is the best for what I do.
The latest Cubase version, Wavelab 10, Intel Core i9 7920X @ 2.90GHz Windows 10 64bit, 64 gig all SSD drives (Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050ti, 2 34" LG ultra wides and 1 28" all @2560x1080) iCon QconPro, Metagrid, 4 MidiTimePiece's = 32in/outs, UAD-2, SoundToys, NI, Waves, Arturia, and lots of hardware synthesizers most of them controlled by MidiQuest 11.

bigboi

Post by bigboi »

Pro studio...current project 36 track (30 of which are vst). 6 ms of latency at 48k. Using Lynx Aurora converters via pcie card. Performance meter in Cubase solid at around 40%. No crashes. Feel free to ask questions if I can help.

hikarateboy

Post by hikarateboy »

When I read things like this I usually just shake my head. Why would anyone just accept things like this as how it works?

This scenario is far from normal and with absolutely certainty it has to be link with your personal environment.

Understand you are running many orchestral samples but don't think you mentioned how much ram you had installed. Are you maxed?

For what you are trying to do you should be. A car fresh out of the showroom may make it around the track but it will never win the Indy 500.

I believe the macbook pros also use mobile series processors (I have one as well) which while they share the same names just don't have the same performance that as their desktop counterparts. Faster = more voltage which in laptops = poor battery life so your processor is not the same as that in a similar pro.

Since its a laptop and likely its your every day machine do you have other programs open like mail when you do this or scheduled processes you don't realize such as updates or dropbox that might run in background conflicting and stealing resources? I'd definitely look that. Its also why its a best practice to run a dedicated machines for your DAW to minimize the variables that lead to situations like this.
Running the latest version of Cubase on Win 10, AMD Ryzen 7, 40 gigs Ram, 3 displays, RME 5296, 24 ch of A/D - I/O, CC121, Numerous plugins from UAD, Slate, Soundtoys, Waves, etc. Bunches of outboard analog pres and compressors.

The Basshole

Post by The Basshole »

dagmarpiano wrote:As for windows... I just can't bear to look at those big red crosses and stoopid ugly graphics, error messages, inexplicable faults. I was stuck on windows for years until I could finally afford macs and I don't intend to go back to the dark place.
Clearly you suffer from something which cannot be fixed. Fanboiism.
Ben Dover at the Bässhole tonight and every night this week!!

stingray

Post by stingray »

dagmarpiano wrote:Anyway, stable or not, surely almost everyone who uses Cubase for over 8 hours every day is going to get some crashes and freezes
No crashes here.
dagmarpiano wrote:...you could probably say that about most software I imagine.
Not really. I use a lot of music software here. None of it crashes.
I think software may occasionally crash under certain circumstances but it is certainly a gross exaggeration and generalisation to suggest that anyone who uses any software for 8 hours a day is going to get crashes. This is simply not true.
P.S. I use a PC.

dagmarpiano

Post by dagmarpiano »

hikarateboy wrote: This scenario is far from normal and with absolutely certainty it has to be link with your personal environment.

Understand you are running many orchestral samples but don't think you mentioned how much ram you had installed. Are you maxed?
Maybe it's a tradeoff. My setup (16GB RAM, 768G internal SSD, 2x 8TB external RAID thunderbolt drives, 2012 MacBook Pro 15inch Retina, RME Babyface USB) works very very well as long as I freeze some of the most demanding plugins, but it crashes every so often. I never lose data because I have auto backups. It never happens during recordings because I always bounce all tracks down to stereo to cut down on VST CPU load.

Very occasional crashes that lose no work are really no big deal. Assuming it's the 'limitations' of my laptop, in return for this minor inconvenience I get a super-portable, very powerful studio that can rest on my MIDI keyboard, using my iPad as a second monitor. Using a retina display is very easy on the eyes (apart from the fact that Cubase still isn't retina-ready). And call me a fanboy, but the very neat GUI design of OSX just makes you feel better while you're working and I should know I used windows (XP, Vista and 7) for 10 years. It's like the difference between having natural light and trees outside your window and a car park full of broken bottles. It's just decoration, but surround yourself with calm and beauty and you relax and become more productive.

So, I'm not about to go out and get a PC tower and giant monitor and spend all day looking at badly designed icons just to avoid very occasional crashes that lose no data.

I've always used powerful desktops in the past, it's not like I have no experience of this.

IMHO

:)

Owner,

Plasuma

Post by Plasuma »

All my DAWs crash under a stressful workload, so I've passed the blame onto plugin manufacturers. So far, Cubase has been doing just peachy with tons of audio tracks and VEP plug-ins, and the constant crashing I used to experience without a remote host is gone.

My first rule of project survival: make your workstation platform as stable as possible by whatever means and handle all the heavy lifting elsewhere.
Workstation Specifications
Box A: Intel 3770K, 32GB RAM, Win 7 Pro x64, Cubase 7.5.0, VEPro 5
Box B: Intel 4930K, 64GB RAM, Win 7 Pro x64, VEPro 5

Return to “Older Cubase versions”