Nektar Panorma Control Surface (Any Users) ?

Alles zum Thema Songwriting, Mixing, Musik-Business und anderen verwandten Themen.
Dieses Forum ersetzt alle anderen Foyers und "Made with..." Unterforen.
Muziksculp

Nektar Panorma Control Surface (Any Users) ?

Post by Muziksculp » Wed May 08, 2013 8:32 pm

Hi,

Anyone using the Nektar Panorama Control Surface with Cubase 7 ?

I'm interested in the Nektar Panorama P-1 Desktop version http://www.nektartech.com/PRODUCTS/Panorama-P1
The Panorama It is compatible with Cubase 7, and Reason 7. So I would guess it is a great Control Surface if you use either Cubase 7 or Reason 7 or both.

Any feedback on this would be helpful.

Thanks,
Muziksculp
Cubase Pro 9 , Groove Agent 4, Halion 6, Halion Sonic 3, Padshop Pro, RND Portico EQ & Compressor, Wavelab Pro 9, The Grand 3, Antelope Audio Goliath, Antelope Audio Pure2., Windows 8.1 Pro

Re: Nektar Panorma Control Surface (Any Users) ?

Post by Guest » Wed May 08, 2013 11:05 pm

I have to say that is a nice looking controller.

bigboi

Post by bigboi » Thu May 09, 2013 2:03 am

I have the p6 and use it with Cubase. I have been beta testing for neils (their product manager) since they announced it. It has really been awesome. It has tight integration, amd the motorized fader is icing on the cake. He is taking requests right now from us beta testers on what 3rd party plugs to control. The list is looking great.

Mr M

Post by Mr M » Thu May 09, 2013 2:12 am

I truly must not understand modern e commerce. The first thing I'd like to know is a price ,even approx. Nice site however after 4 clicks and still no info, thats all for me.

I know, its just me .I don't get it. Price should be om front page AFAIC
i7-3930k @3.20Ghz 16gb Win7 64x Cubase 7 Komplete8 Maschine Axon50 and 11 hardware synths

dr4kan

Post by dr4kan » Thu May 09, 2013 7:08 am

Mr M wrote:I truly must not understand modern e commerce. The first thing I'd like to know is a price ,even approx. Nice site however after 4 clicks and still no info, thats all for me.

I know, its just me .I don't get it. Price should be om front page AFAIC
Panorama price is 299$.

It looks nice but those 45mm not motorized faders are useless for me.
Cubase 7.5, Mac i7 16 GB ram (512 + 512 Samsung 840 pro), OSX 10.9.0
MR816X, Motu Ultralite, UAD 2, MCU Pro, CC121, Adam A7x, Axiom 49...

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp » Thu May 09, 2013 8:06 am

So, the P4 and P6 have motorized faders, but not the P1 ?

How important are motorized faders, and are the motorized faders in the P4 & P6 quiet, smooth, and very responsive ?

I would rather have a desktop unit, since I don't need another keyboard controller, and space is always an important factor. I wonder why the P1 doesn't offer motorized faders (if it doesn't) ?

What about support for other DAWs in the future ? i.e. Studio One Pro, Samplitude Pro X , Live, ...etc.

Honestly, I wish Steinberg would offer a new Control Surface, with 8 faders, that looks professional, and is solid built. Something like the next step up from the C-121. I'm not a fan of the CMC series.

Thanks,
Muziksculp
Cubase Pro 9 , Groove Agent 4, Halion 6, Halion Sonic 3, Padshop Pro, RND Portico EQ & Compressor, Wavelab Pro 9, The Grand 3, Antelope Audio Goliath, Antelope Audio Pure2., Windows 8.1 Pro

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp » Thu May 09, 2013 8:27 am

Bredo wrote: As an owner of the CC-121, I really would like a CC-828 with 8 faders (but Steinberg hardware support....hmmm).
+1000

Come on Steinberg... You can do it, let's see the new CC-828 :)

dr4kan

Post by dr4kan » Thu May 09, 2013 8:41 am

Bredo wrote:Only one motorized fader, as of my understanding. Not on P1.
Isn't it a desktop unit? EDIT: Sorry, I was mixing up the versions.

As an owner of the CC-121, I really would like a CC-828 with 8 faders (but Steinberg hardware support....hmmm).
Yes I also have a CC-121 and I am not very happy with it to be honest: the only fader is not very precise and it does not look very solid, the "intelligent" knob just works with SB plugins (which I don't use, having better 3rd party plugins), only 4 assignable buttons...at the end of the day I use it for the eq section and things like start/stop/next marker/...

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp » Thu May 09, 2013 11:50 am

dr4kan wrote:
Bredo wrote:Only one motorized fader, as of my understanding. Not on P1.
Isn't it a desktop unit? EDIT: Sorry, I was mixing up the versions.

As an owner of the CC-121, I really would like a CC-828 with 8 faders (but Steinberg hardware support....hmmm).
Yes I also have a CC-121 and I am not very happy with it to be honest: the only fader is not very precise and it does not look very solid, the "intelligent" knob just works with SB plugins (which I don't use, having better 3rd party plugins), only 4 assignable buttons...at the end of the day I use it for the eq section and things like start/stop/next marker/...
That's not very good.

Looks like Steinberg needs to shape up quite a bit, and offer a solid-built, high-quality and responsive multi-fader control surface for Cubase/Nuendo, their plug-ins, and third party plug-ins as well, plus offer support for other DAWs if possible. i.e. Reason 7 would be a good start. But so far they have not delivered this.

Well... You can always consider the Nektar Panorama line, or their CMC controllers.

Are the CMC controllers popular these days, I rarely see them in studio pics, or being praised in forums ?

Anyway, I'm not interested in these toylike CMC controllers. They might be good, but they just didn't click with my taste, and I'm guessing they are only good for controlling Cubase.

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp » Thu May 09, 2013 1:00 pm

Bredo wrote:
Muziksculp wrote:[Looks like Steinberg needs to shape up quite a bit, and offer a solid-built, high-quality and responsive multi-fader control surface for Cubase/Nuendo, their plug-ins, and third party plug-ins as well, plus offer support for other DAWs if possible. i.e. Reason 7 would be a good start. But so far they have not delivered this.
You can always look into Nuage, which start at 20K Euros ;-). Well out of my budget :( .
But we can hope for a baby brother. Can't we?
20K Euros for a control surface ? I could setup a complete studio for that amount :roll:

The Nuage is more suited for large scale post-production firms, that can afford it. Not a project studio person, who just needs a good quality control surface to get his/her production workflow speeded up, and tweak stuff via knobs and faders.

Surely, a control surface within 2K Euros/$ might be more realistic, provided it is solid-built, flexible, responsive, and works like a charm ! But sadly... it doesn't exist, if it did, I wouldn't bother considering something like the Panorama, or other so/so options.

Maybe Steinberg is already working on something, and will surprise us in the near future. (just being a bit optimistic).

dr4kan

Post by dr4kan » Thu May 09, 2013 1:08 pm

Muziksculp wrote:Surely, a control surface within 2K Euros/$ might be more realistic, provided it is solid-built, flexible, responsive, and works like a charm ! But sadly... it doesn't exist, if it did, I wouldn't bother considering something like the Panorama, or other so/so options.
wait, wait, wait, look at this

http://www.thomann.de/be/mackie_control ... al_pro.htm

TChandler

Post by TChandler » Thu May 09, 2013 1:49 pm

Hi all,

This is Tim Chandler the Product Manager with Nektar Technology. Niels is the CEO by the way (we are a small company, and all product guys in truth!).

It's great to see interest in the Panorama series on here! I just wanted to answer a few questions in this thread, feel free to ask more...

MAP Pricing (US$):
P1: $299
P4: $499
P6: $599

RRP Pricing (EUR):
P1: 269€
P4: 399€
P6: 479€

Feature-wise, the P1 has the same navigation capabilities as the P4/P6, but you ofcourse lose the keyboard, pads and motorized-fader section. Although not motorized, the bank of 9 faders respond to feedback from Cubase. Should the faders be out of position, the graphic display shows the Cubase value graphically, and output from the fader is muted until you pass through the Cubase value. So you don't get any parameter jumps.

dr4kan

Post by dr4kan » Thu May 09, 2013 2:38 pm

TChandler wrote:Hi all,

This is Tim Chandler the Product Manager with Nektar Technology. Niels is the CEO by the way (we are a small company, and all product guys in truth!).

It's great to see interest in the Panorama series on here! I just wanted to answer a few questions in this thread, feel free to ask more...

MAP Pricing (US$):
P1: $299
P4: $499
P6: $599

RRP Pricing (EUR):
P1: 269€
P4: 399€
P6: 479€

Feature-wise, the P1 has the same navigation capabilities as the P4/P6, but you ofcourse lose the keyboard, pads and motorized-fader section. Although not motorized, the bank of 9 faders respond to feedback from Cubase. Should the faders be out of position, the graphic display shows the Cubase value graphically, and output from the fader is muted until you pass through the Cubase value. So you don't get any parameter jumps.
Hi Tim,

any chance to have something like the P1 but with motorized faders (possibly 100mm)?

Thanks!

TChandler

Post by TChandler » Thu May 09, 2013 3:19 pm

dr4kan wrote:
Hi Tim,

any chance to have something like the P1 but with motorized faders (possibly 100mm)?

Thanks!
I knew that would be the first question! ;)

Well the motorized fader part on the P4/P6 is 100mm ALPS and high quality. It offers high-resolution control over the selected tracks volume in Cubase. We spent a good deal of time sourcing this part as poor quality motorized faders are noisy and distracting.

Can we put 8 of these ALPs faders into a product? Possibly, but it would be a very different product to the P1 as these ALPs faders require a lot of power and significantly more cost. The P1 is designed to give you a simple, portable, cost effective solution to navigation and detailed DAW/plugin control - ultimately speeding up workflow.

I can't talk too much about product plans on a public forum ofcourse, but we do take feature requests like this into consideration when we come to discuss future products.

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp » Thu May 09, 2013 3:28 pm

Hello Tim,

Thanks for dropping by the Steinberg Forum, and for your helpful feedback.

Q. Will the Panorama line support additional popular DAWs in the future ? i.e. Studio One Pro, Live, Samplitude, Logic Pro, ..etc. ?

Thanks,
Muziksculp

Jarno

Post by Jarno » Thu May 09, 2013 3:58 pm

Muziksculp wrote:How important are motorized faders
How important it is to have Cubase's mixing console's faders to follow automation? That's how important motorized faders are.

If you are looking something around the same price as Panorama, I would rather recommend Icon iControls Pro, instead. You may even be happy with Behringer BCF2000, but it doesn't have touch-sensitive faders, which some people consider to be a show stopper.
Cubase 8 Pro/7/4/SX1/VST3.7 | Waves Gold | Melodyne | PC i7-4770/8G/2xSSD/Win7 64 | MacMini | Frontier Tranzport
Tascam DM-4800 | Soundcraft Spirit Studio 16 | dbx231 | Genelec 1032A | KEF C15 | Auratone 5S | Samson S-phone
Yamaha REV500/SPX990 | Alesis Midiverb4 | Roland SDE-330 | Pearl Echo Orbit | Aphex 109 x2 | TL-Audio C5021
Alesis 3630 | AudioLogic MT66 | Joemeek VC1Q | dbx386 | Focusrite VoiceMaster | Line6 PodXt/BassPodXt | Boss GT-3
Roland TD8/TD5/JV2080/SC55 | UseAudio Plugiator | E-mu ProteusXR | Akai S-900/AX73 | M-Audio Keystation
Martin/Taylor/Ortega/ESP/Fender/Line6 guitars/basses | Pearl/Olympic by Premier drumkits | Custom Roland V-drum kit
AKG D112/CK77 | Calrec CM1050C | Earthworks QTC30 | EV RE20/Spherex920 | Neumann M147 | Pearl CR57
Peavey PVM45 | RØDE NT2/NT55 | Sennheiser MD441/MD421/e606 | Shure SM7/SM57/SM58/BETA57/BETA58 ...
... Saeco Odea Giro Espresso machine | BMW Z3 roadster | American Pit Bull Terrier

TChandler

Post by TChandler » Thu May 09, 2013 4:19 pm

Muziksculp wrote:Hello Tim,

Thanks for dropping by the Steinberg Forum, and for your helpful feedback.

Q. Will the Panorama line support additional popular DAWs in the future ? i.e. Studio One Pro, Live, Samplitude, Logic Pro, ..etc. ?

Thanks,
Muziksculp
Another good question we get asked frequently!

The answer is yes, ofcourse! We are looking at several others currently and we want to support as many DAWs as we can to the same level of integration we currently provide for Cubase and Reason users. If we can do it we will. However, it's a big task to support a DAW as deep as we have.

For example, we released the Panorama line with deep integration for Reason and everyone thought of it as a dedicated Reason controller. When we came to support Cubase we added new graphics to the display, new firmware, driver updates some additional protocol stuff... Specifically focused on Cubase. Each DAW is effectively a new product development cycle because you have to consider each DAW and workflow individually.

That being said, we have provided some powerful MIDI and QWERTY tools and 90+ assignable controls so you can easily customize integration to your own particular workflow in any DAW using the internal memories of Panorama.

There are also presets for Live, Pro Tools, MainStage and Logic currently on our website plus FL Studio has some support built in. This support is good and gives you some out of the box control, but not to the the level of detail as we have developed for Cubase and Reason. So we don't really shout about it!

dr4kan

Post by dr4kan » Thu May 09, 2013 5:57 pm

Jarno wrote:
How important it is to have Cubase's mixing console's faders to follow automation? That's how important motorized faders are.
absolutely right! I don't really understand how it is possible to use control surfaces without motorized faders, it's my limit...

bigboi

Post by bigboi » Thu May 09, 2013 9:35 pm

I am really digging it....I can tell you that. Also, the support has been outstanding. The guys have been responsive with plug requests as well. I asked for Dune and Nexus....next beta release BAM...there they are. I wish all the companies I dealt with were as fast. Cudos Nektar.

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp » Thu May 09, 2013 10:07 pm

bigboi wrote:I am really digging it....I can tell you that. Also, the support has been outstanding. The guys have been responsive with plug requests as well. I asked for Dune and Nexus....next beta release BAM...there they are. I wish all the companies I dealt with were as fast. Cudos Nektar.
That's Great !

Which Panorama model are you using ? P1 or P4/P6 ?

Thanks,
Muziksculp

apessino

Post by apessino » Thu May 09, 2013 10:21 pm

This thread is WORKING!

Ordered a P6 from Sweetwater yesterday... :D

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp » Thu May 09, 2013 10:38 pm

apessino wrote:This thread is WORKING!

Sweet :)

I'm still undecided if I should get the P1 or P4/P6 ? Not the easiest decision for me, since I have some space restrictions, and don't need more keyboard in the studio. It would have been nice if the P1 had the exact specs of the keyboard versions, just no keyboard.

What made you decide on the P6 keyboard version instead of P1 (desktop) ? which features were key to your decision ?

Thanks,
Muziksculp

Post by Guest » Thu May 09, 2013 11:07 pm

dr4kan wrote:
Jarno wrote:
absolutely right! I don't really understand how it is possible to use control surfaces without motorized faders, it's my limit...
I still use my baby hui just for the 8 penny and giles 100mm long throw motorized faders , id be lost without it , using normal faders and not being able to visually see the setting of the faders while moving f through the banks must be a bloody nightmare ,ive tried with the sl 61mk2 and the faders never used so I think in my case if I had the P1 it would be a waste or can you assign the faders to different controls than just volume ???

apessino

Post by apessino » Thu May 09, 2013 11:15 pm

Muziksculp wrote:
apessino wrote:This thread is WORKING!

Sweet :)

I'm still undecided if I should get the P1 or P4/P6 ? Not the easiest decision for me, since I have some space restrictions, and don't need more keyboard in the studio. It would have been nice if the P1 had the exact specs of the keyboard versions, just no keyboard.

What made you decide on the P6 keyboard version instead of P1 (desktop) ? which features were key to your decision ?

Thanks,
Muziksculp
I wanted to replace my Impulse 61 - like the keys but not the faders much, and Automap has not being auto-ing or mapping much, just crashing a lot.

I didn't know these existed until I read this thread, then I went and looked aroudn for reviews, etc. So to conclude:

motorized fader (!) + deep Cubase integration + easy UI + TFT display + quality keys = sale! :D

bigboi

Post by bigboi » Fri May 10, 2013 12:08 am

I really use the motorized fader a lot. That is the biggest difference between the p1 and the p4 and p6. I have a p6. I constantly also use the transport control, but all the units have those. For the record, I also have mackie control universal with an extender.

Return to “Steinberg Lounge”