Removing Hi Frequency Hiss- White noise

For users of legacy Steinberg Cubase software
MaMartin

Removing Hi Frequency Hiss- White noise

Post by MaMartin » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:11 am

Unfortunately I had a mic routed into the same track I was recording a guitar. What is the best way to remove the hiss either using a band-stop or notch filter in Cubase 7. I need some hand holding on this one as to where I access the tool for this. Is it through the mixing console or in the main window of Cubase? Is this accessed through the EQ section of the mixing console? I'm new to Cubase 7. Thanks in advance.

curteye
External Moderator

Re: Removing Hi Frequency Hiss- White noise

Post by curteye » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:35 am

Aloha M,

As more users chime in on this you will see that there
are multiple approaches to this type of prob.

1-I personally would use a parametric EQ to 'notch out'
as much of the offending frequencies as possible
while still maintaining the hi end of the guitar.

2-If phasing is not too noticeable, a graphic EQ might also do the trick.

3-But with C7
I am now wondering if there is a way to use the new
Voxengo CurveEQ plug as a sort of 'dynamic EQ' to kinda 'define' and then
'ride the noise wave'?

I have not tried using that plug much. Anybody?

HTH (hope this helps)
{'-'}
If yer gear ain't breakin down, you aint workin' much.

iMac i7 2.8Gz 16GB-10.10x...../C5.5/6.5/7.5/CP8
MBP 3.0Gz......16GB-10.10x.../CP8

On the side of a volcano in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.

Majic

Post by Majic » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:52 pm

i sometimes loop a small section of the background noise, layer it and bounce it to a single file if necessary.

route the background noise channel and the guitar channel to a group.

invert the noise channel you've created and ride the fader until the noise reduction is sufficient, it doesnt work for every application but i did this morning on some foley parts, automated it and it worked really well.

aside from that...just keep the grunge in there... makes it sound 'authentic' lol

hope this helps...

:D

kzarider

Post by kzarider » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:41 pm

I've had to use X noise by waves to do this in past. I think you can get a demo of it to try. Used this in conjunction with parametric to filter out frequencies. I've also used the X-Hum plugin for unwanted hum from noisy tube pre amp.

It is a pain if I could have done track over I would have, good luck and there are a bunch of sources available on how to if you google for them
PC i7-8770K Gigabyte 370 Win10 64bit -32gb ram; i7 2015 MackBook Pro; Cubase 9.5, Wavelab 8.5, Presonus 3, Digital Performer, Access Virus TI2, Vienna Instruments Cube-MIR-Pro 5, Imperial Grand, EastWest PlayComposer, UAD Quad, Baldwin L3, Hammond B3-Sk2, Rhodes, Wurlitzer 200, Hohner Clav, Waldorf, NI Komplete 10, Gretch Brooklyn, Omnisphere, Keyscape, Trillian, RMX, Superior Drums, BFD, etc. Antelope Orion 32HD, Antelope Goliath HD
http://zkeysmusic.com/
https://soundcloud.com/search?q=zkeysmusic
https://www.facebook.com/ZKeys-Studio-1608666072789495/

MaMartin

Post by MaMartin » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:15 pm

If I have a section of track prior to the guitar playing copy that to a new track then phase invert it and duplicate on the new track would that work? I was thinking as long as the guitar is not playing on the part I duplicate would it cancel the noise but not the guitar?

Eddie Stealth Studio

Post by Eddie Stealth Studio » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:47 pm

fingerprint noise reduction would be best. I use isotope rx. but, for a quick fix on steady state noise, I still use my old psp mixtreble. it's really good for getting rid of guitar amp noise while keeping the sound nice. don't know if it is still sold though. ed
Stealth Recording Studios, Glasgow UK
0141 554 9244

Crotchety

Post by Crotchety » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:30 pm

Audacity is a free wave editor with NR included that gives good results. The invert noise trick works too but it's a bit 'constant' so has its limitations. As they all do.
Instruments: Piano/keys, Guitar, Mandolin, Vocal
Current Sounds: Cactus Juice (@Soundcloud) - Former Sounds: Ask Murt (@MySpace)

Every day's a skool day...

MaMartin

Post by MaMartin » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:24 pm

Strangely enough when I doubled the track and phase inverted one I still had sound on stereo out. I thought there would be total noise cancelation with both tracks, especially when one is inverted. Wonder what I'm doing wrong with that. Is Audacity a free plug-in for Cubase 7 is it included or need to download it from the internet? The same question for Isotope RX is it standalone or a plug-in for Cubase. Thanks everyone for all of the input and responses.

Crotchety

Post by Crotchety » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:37 pm

MaMartin wrote:Is Audacity a free plug-in for Cubase 7
No, it's a standalone (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/). I do NR on my files in Audacity then export (not save! that creates an Audacity Project) them with an NR added to the filename, then import them into Cubase and carry on from there (I like to keep my originals in case I need to do better later).

I don't use it much, Cubase does the job for me most of the time, but I find it very useful to have on hand.

A couple of points:

Processing is not realtime and the preview only last a few seconds so select a test area where there's sound (because there often isn't at the start of the file).

Audacity can export several wave formats but at first glance it appears that signed 16-bit bit is the only WAV option available. To get to the others you need to select "Other uncompressed files" in the Save as Type drop-down and then click Options.

It also does mp3. You have to download the LAME codec (see the website). For my ears it's as good as Fraunhofer and much better at 128k than I've heard elsewhere, including on earlier LAME versions.

Can't resist mentioning that they incorporated PaulStretch recently. This does stupidly long timestretch like you can't get anywhere else.

Also very good at splitting stereo files.

I have nothing to do with Audacity whatsoever, not sleeping with any of them, just really like it.
Instruments: Piano/keys, Guitar, Mandolin, Vocal
Current Sounds: Cactus Juice (@Soundcloud) - Former Sounds: Ask Murt (@MySpace)

Every day's a skool day...

Return to “Older Cubase versions”