VST 3 plugin folder structure

For users of legacy Steinberg Cubase software
djaychela

VST 3 plugin folder structure

Post by djaychela » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:28 pm

In an attempt to make a nice new start, I've been trying to rearrange my plugins; most of them are VST2 ones, which obviously I can put the dll files in folders and make them all neat and lovely.

I've never really wanted to do this with any of the included VST3 plugins (as they are fairly neatly stored by default), but now that I have loads of modulation-based effects, I want to put them in sub-folders (Chorus, Flanger, etc) - and the problem is that if I do that with the VST2 ones, it leaves the VST3 ones in the folder above (i.e. in Modulation) - is there any way to change the menu structure, or are we stuck with it as it is? I know it's not the end of the world, but having sub-menus makes sense when you have 20+ effects in a folder, and not being able to do this is surely not missing from the VST3 spec, is it?
Last edited by djaychela on Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

andreasm
Steinberg Employee

Re: VST 3 plugin folder structure

Post by andreasm » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:02 am

Hi djaychela,
unfortunately there is no way for the user to change the folder structure of VST3 plug-ins.
When it's registered the plug-in tells the host which category it belongs to.
Andreas Mazurkiewicz, Technical Lead Plug-in Set
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany
Check out Steinberg on YouTube, Twitter and Facebook!

djaychela

Post by djaychela » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:57 am

Well, that's hardly a step forward, is it?

NoTrac3

Post by NoTrac3 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:41 pm

I really don't understand why we still haven't got a plugin manager....
With VST3 things got even worse. I had a folder structure for my VST2 plugins which is now messed up by the plugin categories introduced by VST3.
Most of the times get lost in my plugin list because I don't remember the right folder for the plug I need.
That's a shame!
NoTrac3 system: Cubase 9, Halion Sonic 2 , Wavelab 9, Virtual Guitarist 2, Groove Agent 4, The Grand. PC intel i7 4790K, 16GB, Radeon RX460 +4K TV, 4x4TB HD, Alesis IO 26 Firewire.

Lasso

Post by Lasso » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:06 pm

I find it quite silly that VST3 doesn't allow for organizing the plugins as you wish. It took me forever to find my Brainworx mastering plugin hidden under the defualt "EQ" folder. Another example is the CLA bundle that hid under the default "dynamics" folder. Perhaps I want to make a folder with all my favorite compressors - no, can't be done. Only if they're VST2
2015 MBP Retina @ 2,8 gHz, High Sierra, Cubase Pro 10, WaveLab Pro 9, UAD Apollo Twin, UAD Apollo Satellite Quad TB

sinewavz

Post by sinewavz » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:33 pm

Yes, a plugin manager would be great !! I'm so fed up by the introduced mess of coexisting VST2 & 3 that I decided to sort them by manufacturers (in the preferences) but this isn't perfect either....

sonicstate

Post by sonicstate » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:54 pm

Yes, at least some basic plugin management is a must. I don't mean folder based, like it is now with VST2 - i hate moving stuff arround on HD. But real nice internal management, with definable groups, favourites, .... I hope Steinberg includes this in next C6 update.

It would be nice to have access to plugin presets through media bay, like it is for instruments, with instant preview. Importing settings from another project (without opening it and saving presets) would be most helpful. Drag'n'drop! And ability for track presets to "add to existing", instead of overwriting what is already there. Anyway, I'm not holding my breath, but much could be done regarding plugin management. For me current VST list it is probably the weakest point in Cubase.
Cubase Pro 8.5, Win 64bit, i7-4770K @4.3GHz, ASUS Z87-K, 16Gb, RME HDSP 9652, BCF 2000, BCR 2000, Novation Launchpad Mini, M-Audio TriggerFinger, M-Audio Axiom AIR Mini 32, Korg NanoKey, plenty outboard synths and fx, 24ch Studiomaster mixer, Yamaha NS10s, Dynaudio BM5, Samson Rubicon R8a Ribbon, etc...

djaychela

Post by djaychela » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:59 pm

Well, glad to see I'm not the only one. It's not been a huge issue for me until recently, but a number of people I work with and for have mentioned it in the past, and as I've decided to try to tidy things up it does seem a glaring issue that there is no provision to rearrange them when they are VST3; surely it would be fairly simple thing to engineer this? It's the kind of thing people used to program for fun.... but does the VST3 standard make it impossible to change a plugin's category?

As said above, moving files about isn't really the option - I'm happy doing all that stuff, but it's a PITA having to do it that way, having a simple plugin management interface in the program would be a great solution and a simple one too.

amt

Post by amt » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:34 pm

This comes round with every release and it has never even been acknowledged by any of the Steinberg team - as far as I remember.

Similar to an earlier post: I suggested before that some sort of media bay window be implemented that listed plugins using a similar filtering system that the user could customise using attributes (tags). I'm sure this could be developed further. Imagine, you could create you own categories: mastering, mixing, guitar, vocal etc. ie. listing your go to plugs for that particular task. This along with the usual categories EQ, Dynamics, Reverb and so on... This window would replace the current plugin dialogue and yes this could further list presets associated with a particular plug with the ability to audition there and then.
Andrew Townsend
:: Intel Xeon W3690 SLBW2 3.46Ghz Six-Core | Intel Desktop Board DX58OG | 24 GIG DDR3 RAM | 2 X Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 2.5inch SSD (1 for OS & 1 for LIBRARY) | 1 X Seagate 1TB for Projects | nVidia GeForce GT 730 2GB DDR3 | 2 x Acer 24" LCD Monitor |

:: Windows 10 Pro 64bit :: Cubase Pro 10 64bit :: Wavelab Pro 9.5 64bit :: HALion 6 64bit / Halion Sonic 3 64bit :: Toontrack Superior Drummer 2 ::

:: Universal Audio Apollo Twin USB
:: Universal Audio Satellite Octo USB
:: Focusrite OctoPre MkII 8 channel ADAT

HowlingUlf

Post by HowlingUlf » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:25 pm

Gothenburg, Sweden
Steinberg Cubase Pro 10.5 | Steinberg WaveLab 10 | Steinberg Absolute 4 | Steinberg SpectralLayers 6
Win10 63.5 Pro | ASUS ATX Z170-P | Intel Core i7-6700K Skylake | 32GB RAM |
Nektar Panorama P6 | | Steinberg Midex8 | Steinberg UR824 |

chase

Post by chase » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:21 pm

sonicstate wrote:It would be nice to have access to plugin presets through media bay, like it is for instruments
:shock:
Oh I hope not.

After my initial experience with Media Bay in C4, I never want to go near the damn thing again. Anyway, last time I looked, it seemed filled to the brim with stuff I'd never want - and I don't fancy taking the handful of things I might like stored and burying them under all that.

And bXgger spending time tagging.

But I suppose I could be in a minority. :?

CinStudios

Post by CinStudios » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:30 pm

Not trying to be a naysayer, but you'd think that the INVENTOR of the VST technology would make it a little more organizable for the studio/user who has a good long list of plug ins.

I for one HATE having them "wherever" the software deems fit.

raino
Grand Senior Member

Post by raino » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:30 pm

+1
rodger

Cubase Pro 10.5, Win10 Home, Halion6, BFD3, GPO, Komplete Ultimate 9, Waves Gold, Misc. other

i7 4771 Haswell Processor 3.5GHz, ADK LGA1150, 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX970, RME Fireface 400, 2x UAD-2

mcp

Post by mcp » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:57 pm

chase wrote:
sonicstate wrote:It would be nice to have access to plugin presets through media bay, like it is for instruments
:shock:
Oh I hope not.

After my initial experience with Media Bay in C4, I never want to go near the damn thing again. Anyway, last time I looked, it seemed filled to the brim with stuff I'd never want - and I don't fancy taking the handful of things I might like stored and burying them under all that.

And bXgger spending time tagging.

But I suppose I could be in a minority. :?
At least you're not alone. I feel exactly the same.

And another +1 to the original feature request.
Studio: i7 3770k. Asus P8Z77-Pro. 16GB RAM Corsair. Intel HD4000. Samsung 830 128GB. Crucial M4 512GB. WD VelociRaptor 1TB. Seagate Barracuda 3TB. SSL MX4. UAD2 Quad. M-Audio Axiom 49. Win 7 Pro 64 SP1. Cubase 6 64.
Home: Core2Quad Q9550. Asus P5K Deluxe. 8GB RAM Kingston. GeForce 9500GT. Samsung 830 128GB. Samsung HD 1.5TB. Mindprint Trio USB. UAD2 Single. Korg Micro Key. Win 7 Pro 64 SP1. Sam Pro X 64. Cubase 6 64.

djaychela

Post by djaychela » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:58 pm

Yeah, I certainly wouldn't want them in the media bay, or any of the "preset-tastic" things. Just being able to sort the plugins into a simple hierarchical structure will be fine, thanks.

michael

Post by michael » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:57 am

I vote for letting us users actually make folders the same way we can with VST2 plugins.
this should be the easiest way to do things, and I dont think it would mean alot of time to make this really happen as its way overdue time to have some decent sort of VST3 handling.
as you all say, its been asked for since the very introduction of VST3.

and no, I do NOT want to see it get incorporated into mediabay, that biattch is a monster to get thru as it is.
I personally never use it, and if I could choose I would delete it so feckin fast...

atleast give us the ability/option to sort the plugins for ourselves, both VST2 and VST3.

steinberg, is there any good viable reason for not letting us sort the VST3 plugins into folders, the same way we can with VST2 ?

samicide

Post by samicide » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:49 am

+1 for our own folders or a plugin manager.
Last edited by samicide on Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cubase 9.5

Grim
Grand Senior Member

Post by Grim » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:02 am

This (They must know how stupid it is having 2 different organisational methods for one programs plug-ins!) & the window resizing behaviour are my last 2 great Cubase annoyances.....if they could fix these & add multitrack warping in vs 6.1 I could go to my happy place for a long vacation.
i7 5820k @3.7Ghz, 16Gb, W10Pro, Cubase 9.0x, Cubase 8.5.x, Audient iD22, Zoom UAC-2, Wavelab Elements 9.x, Nektar Impact GX61

michael

Post by michael » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:45 pm

if I had the powers, I would make this thread sticky...
I will try and bump this thread as often as I can, as this plugin sorting is clearly a problem that steinberg could easily fix.

steinberg, is there any good viable reason for not letting us sort the VST3 plugins into folders, the same way we can with VST2 ?
anyone from steiny HQ care to answer ?

Grim
Grand Senior Member

Post by Grim » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:54 pm

I don't think there is much point in bumping as Steinberg's Chris Beuermann said in this post regarding people pushing for changes. (http://www.steinberg.net/forum/viewtopi ... t=campaign)
but it doesn't work this way. Please remeber that the forums is not the only way we get our feedback. So please stop with this. "Campains" like in the old forums we will not tollerate here in the new forums
Some word from them would be nice though...even if just to confirm it's been noted! (Not that I believe for a moment that they don't know exactly how frustrating many if not most users find this.)
i7 5820k @3.7Ghz, 16Gb, W10Pro, Cubase 9.0x, Cubase 8.5.x, Audient iD22, Zoom UAC-2, Wavelab Elements 9.x, Nektar Impact GX61

chase

Post by chase » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:04 pm

Grim wrote:(They must know how stupid it is having 2 different organisational methods for one programs plug-ins!)
Be careful what you wish for ... Otherwise ... "Your wish is my command. Now there's a single method." And VST2's method of organisation has been changed to match VST3's. :lol:

Grim
Grand Senior Member

Post by Grim » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:13 pm

chase wrote:
Grim wrote:(They must know how stupid it is having 2 different organisational methods for one programs plug-ins!)
Be careful what you wish for ... Otherwise ... "Your wish is my command. Now there's a single method." And VST2's method of organisation has been changed to match VST3's. :lol:
:o The horror....the horror.

CinStudios

Post by CinStudios » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:44 pm

Where's our Mod man Christian when we need him? :)

michael

Post by michael » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:17 am

Grim wrote:I don't think there is much point in bumping as Steinberg's Chris Beuermann said in this post regarding people pushing for changes. (http://www.steinberg.net/forum/viewtopi ... t=campaign)
but it doesn't work this way. Please remeber that the forums is not the only way we get our feedback. So please stop with this. "Campains" like in the old forums we will not tollerate here in the new forums
Some word from them would be nice though...even if just to confirm it's been noted! (Not that I believe for a moment that they don't know exactly how frustrating many if not most users find this.)

well, I am actually not pushing for a change in that particular post, Im merely asking for the reason why not giving us this feature so many users are asking been asking for so many years...

since Chris says in that other topic, steinberg are more involved in the forums these days, so I would think that this also means more involved in the discussions ? becuase I would really really like to know the reason behind making the decision to not allow users to make a folder structure that makes sense to the users.

also when Im on the subject of letting users know things, what was the reason to abandon "VSTi" and replacing it with "Synth" in the structure ? I was so happy with VSTi, as all of my VSTis could go in there, synths, drums, samplers, you name it. and if there was one I would like to see elsewhere, all I had to do was make another folder. sooo easy.
now it cant be done, not even GA One is in the Synth category, as ofc it is not a synth, its a drum machine/sampleplayer.

so pretty please, I really want to know why steinberg decided that we cant make our own ways of sorting VST plugins ?

GIRO

Post by GIRO » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:23 am

Lasso wrote:I find it quite silly that VST3 doesn't allow for organizing the plugins as you wish. It took me forever to find my Brainworx mastering plugin hidden under the defualt "EQ" folder. Another example is the CLA bundle that hid under the default "dynamics" folder. Perhaps I want to make a folder with all my favorite compressors - no, can't be done. Only if they're VST2

LOL DUDE!! what? All you had to do was - go to preference and under VST-plug-ins, set the plug-ins menu by vendor - done 8-) So your BW EQ would be in its own folder..... All steinberg plugs aswell.

Can't believe we are on C6 and people missed this...
Salvador Peláez
http://www.durotronik.com http://www.pristinestudio.com
System: ION - AMD 6 Core Phenom II 3.21ghz 16GB Ram
DAW: Nuendo 7 - Cubase Pro 9 - WL Pro 9 - HALion 6 - HALion Sonic 3 -
HW: MR816CSX - UR28M - UR824 - CC121 -

Return to “Older Cubase versions”