Telling the difference between Vst 2 and Vst3

For users of legacy Steinberg Cubase software
dlish

Telling the difference between Vst 2 and Vst3

Post by dlish »

How can you tell the difference between VST2 and VST3 plugins in cubase 7?

dlish

Re: Telling the difference between Vst 2 and Vst3

Post by dlish »

Wow:

I'm sorry but that is not a feature in Cubase 7 currently. If it a feature you would like to see, I would suggest posting in the forum on www.steinberg.net/forum as that is where our developers watch for user suggestions.

In the future if you have a new technical problem, please visit www.steinberg.net/en/mysteinberg Login and then submit a "Support Request Form" and a member of our team will help. Thank you.

Chris Dobbs
Steinberg US Support

Elektrobolt
Location: A wet blue oblate spheroid spinning around a fiery bright yellow dwarf at 107,000 km/h.

Post by Elektrobolt »

dlish wrote:How can you tell the difference between VST2 and VST3 plugins in cubase 7?
Add Instrument Track, and the select instrument list will show // or /// for VST2 and VST3 resp.

Also, if you look in the Plug-in Information dialog you can see the version of the SDK that was used to build the plugins that you have on your system.
"Remember that we live only in the present, in this fleeting instant; all the rest of our life is either past and gone, or not yet revealed."

vic_france
Grand Senior Member

Post by vic_france »

Elektrobolt wrote: Add Instrument Track, and the select instrument list will show // or /// for VST2 and VST3 resp.
That's precisely the problem!.. in Cubase 7, it no longer shows those.
Mac Pro Quad-Core (2009) 2.66 GHz | 16GB RAM | MOTU PCI-424/2408mk3|MOTU Midi Timepiece AV | Mac OS X 10.9.5 | Cubase 9.5.0| Logic Pro X 10.2.2| ProTools 11.3.1| Ableton Live 9.7.5| Reaper 562 | Studio One Pro 3.5.1

dlish

Post by dlish »

Elektrobolt wrote:
dlish wrote:How can you tell the difference between VST2 and VST3 plugins in cubase 7?
Add Instrument Track, and the select instrument list will show // or /// for VST2 and VST3 resp.

Also, if you look in the Plug-in Information dialog you can see the version of the SDK that was used to build the plugins that you have on your system.

That's incorrect. You're missing the point. This is a specific cubase 7 issue. The VST type is no longer shown in C7 plug list.

Elektrobolt
Location: A wet blue oblate spheroid spinning around a fiery bright yellow dwarf at 107,000 km/h.

Post by Elektrobolt »

vic_france wrote:
Elektrobolt wrote: Add Instrument Track, and the select instrument list will show // or /// for VST2 and VST3 resp.
In this dialog, it shows /// for all VST3 plugins and either nothing or // for all VST2, in the Add Instrument Track.
(Right click empty area in track list and choose Add Instrument Track.)

As for everyone else, in the new instrument tree view it does *not* show any indicators of the VST versions.
Attachments
C7AddIT.png
Add Instrument Track ...
(39.44 KiB) Not downloaded yet
"Remember that we live only in the present, in this fleeting instant; all the rest of our life is either past and gone, or not yet revealed."

dlish

Post by dlish »

I think they actually ran out of time to implement the new Search Tree for the instrument tracks...

billcarroll

Post by billcarroll »

Elektrobolt wrote:
vic_france wrote:
In this dialog, it shows /// for all VST3 plugins and either nothing or // for all VST2, in the Add Instrument Track.
(Right click empty area in track list and choose Add Instrument Track.)

As for everyone else, in the new instrument tree view it does *not* show any indicators of the VST versions.
Thanks for posting the screenshot. I notice you are using Windows. I don't see the list show up with VST 2 or 3 indication on the Mac. :?:
Cubase 8.5.20 on a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)
2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2048 MB
Mac OS 10.11.6

Stealth

Post by Stealth »

Just curious, why do you need an indicator of what is vst2 and what is vst3?
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014), 16GB RAM, Steinberg UR22, OSX Mojave 10.14.3, Cubase 9.0.4

vic_france
Grand Senior Member

Post by vic_france »

billcarroll wrote: Thanks for posting the screenshot. I notice you are using Windows. I don't see the list show up with VST 2 or 3 indication on the Mac. :?:
In fact, that's not a PC vs Mac thing.. That dialog for loading Instrument Tracks is still using the "old" dialog, for some reason (and is the same for me here on Mac too ;) ). It has changed everywhere else (loading plugin FX into the Mixer, loading VSTis into the VSTi rack), so I am pretty sure it will change for loading Instrument Tracks too eventually. Hopefully, by that time, the "new look" list will have those icons back again :).
Stealth wrote:Just curious, why do you need an indicator of what is vst2 and what is vst3?
One reason that springs to mind, is that some 3rd-party plugins are installed both as VST2 and VST3, and it would be handy to see which one is which.
Mac Pro Quad-Core (2009) 2.66 GHz | 16GB RAM | MOTU PCI-424/2408mk3|MOTU Midi Timepiece AV | Mac OS X 10.9.5 | Cubase 9.5.0| Logic Pro X 10.2.2| ProTools 11.3.1| Ableton Live 9.7.5| Reaper 562 | Studio One Pro 3.5.1

billcarroll

Post by billcarroll »

vic_france wrote:
vic_france wrote:
billcarroll wrote: Thanks for posting the screenshot. I notice you are using Windows. I don't see the list show up with VST 2 or 3 indication on the Mac. :?:
In fact, that's not a PC vs Mac thing.. That dialog for loading Instrument Tracks is still using the "old" dialog, for some reason (and is the same for me here on Mac too ;) ). It has changed everywhere else (loading plugin FX into the Mixer, loading VSTis into the VSTi rack), so I am pretty sure it will change for loading Instrument Tracks too eventually. Hopefully, by that time, the "new look" list will have those icons back again :).
Got it. I was seeing the new dialog without the indicators because I was clicking on an instrument slot for an existing instrument track. I see the indicators and old window when I add a new instrument track.
Cubase 8.5.20 on a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)
2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2048 MB
Mac OS 10.11.6

IFM

Post by IFM »

If you use the VST instrument list you don't get the // or /// anymore...only if you are loading an instrument track. This makes for a huge PITA when setting up VEP.
Chris
http://www.christophercaouette.com
Mac Pro 6,1 12 Core, 64GB RAM, Mojave, Cubase 10.5

emotive

Post by emotive »

In Plugin Information, you will see a column "SDK" which will tell you the version.

Also, there is "ASIO Guard" with which not all plugins are compatible.

dlish

Post by dlish »

IFM wrote:If you use the VST instrument list you don't get the // or /// anymore...only if you are loading an instrument track. This makes for a huge PITA when setting up VEP.
Chris
Thank you!! That's exactly It. I have no idea why some people constantly refer to the plug info in window or devices.

dlish

Post by dlish »

Thanks Steinberg for putting that back into 7.0.2! Very much appreciated!

Return to “Older Cubase versions”