Vsti's audio stops working

For users of legacy Steinberg Nuendo software
davidgamson

Vsti's audio stops working

Post by davidgamson » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:27 pm

I am having an issue with Vsti's in larger sessions where the audio just stops working. No sound. I originally thought it was an issue with diva because it happens often with that plugin, but I've had it happen with a few different plugins from a few different companies, so it seems like its a nuendo issue. Has anyone else run into this? Same thing happens whether the vsti is loaded in the instrument panel or as an instrument track. Only way I can get it back is to delete the instrument track and make a new one.

Martin.Jirsak
Forum Elder

Re: Vsti's audio stops working

Post by Martin.Jirsak » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:31 pm

Hello,

Did you try to set your Buffer Size larger?
Martin Jirsak
How to show notes of the chord/scale only
Cubase Training

Cubase Pro (last officially supported version all the time)
macOS (last update)

davidgamson

Post by davidgamson » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:43 pm

Buffer is at 1024 samples. It happens at all buffer sizes.

Martin.Jirsak
Forum Elder

Post by Martin.Jirsak » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:55 pm

What audio interface do you use?

What about ASIO and disc overload? How does it look?
Martin Jirsak
Cubase Training

macOS (last update)

davidgamson

Post by davidgamson » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:01 pm

Rme fireface 800. It doesn't seem to be a disc access or Asio issue. This problem accurs with only a few vsti's Notably diva, corona, and cyclop. Everything else is fine....and continues to work fine in the same session.

Thanks for the help.

Martin.Jirsak
Forum Elder

Post by Martin.Jirsak » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:54 pm

This is fantastic sound card with great drivers!

Are your VSTi's up-to-date?

Are you using 32-bit or 64-bit Cubase? Can you switch it to the second (non-used) version?

What about some demo versions of software or cracks (sorry for this, I'm from the country, where are lots of cracks...)? Is there any?

Sorry, I have no more idea, now.
Martin Jirsak
Cubase Training

macOS (last update)

maxhowarth

Post by maxhowarth » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:43 am

hi david

could it be as simple as the vsti running out of ram headroom? stick your system specs in your signature. it makes it far easier to suggest a fx.
best wishes
max

http://www.redfacilities.com

2 x 3.3 6core mac pro | 12gb ram | mac os 10.7.3| n5.5 | rme multiset/audiolink96 | 3 x 19" flat panels | decklink xt | waves8 | altiverb7 | mc mix

Glenn

Post by Glenn » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:19 pm

I have the same issues with Diva on occasion. much less now with v1.1 then with 1.0. A restart of Nuendo always sorts it out, I think Max might be right about the Ram suggestion
Cubase 10.0.40 PRO, Windows 10 PRO 64bit build 1903, RME Hammerfall 96/52, Asus X-470 Mainboard 32GB ram, Samsung NVME M.2 PRO, Ryzen 2700x OC 4.2 ghz, 2x UAD-2 Quad, Benchmark DAC-1, Apogee AD16, Millenia 4 HV3D, SSL XLogic Alpha, Universal Audio LA 610, Focusrite ISA428, Avalon AD2022, Brauner Phantom, Peluso, Shure, Sennheiser EVO, AKG C414, Electro Voice RE-20 and JZ Blackhole then some

davidgamson

Post by davidgamson » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:40 pm

thanks guys. my system is an 980x i7 with 12 gbs of ram. running windows 64 bit and nuendo 64 bit. 2 uad 2 quad cards as well. nuendo 5.5.3. definitely running the latest version of diva as well.

the ram theory seems plausible, but i just opened up a session where diva is mute. looking in task manager the total ram usage is about 4.5 gb. and nuendo is using just over 2gb of ram. seems like i have plenty of available ram.

davidgamson

Post by davidgamson » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:41 pm

btw... restarting nuendo unfortunately doesn't solve the problem for me. i have one session that i can open which always exhiits this behavior.

maxhowarth

Post by maxhowarth » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:29 am

there are a couple of threads on the kvr forums which describe precisely this issue:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4917896
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=350131
silhouette wrote:
Often on first selecting Diva as a VST instrument there is no sound. If I delete from the VST rack and then reselect Diva, cancel the create new track then insert into the track I have previously loaded Diva then has sound.
However, if I load a new VST track Diva has no sound.
If I save a project close down, then re-open Diva has no sound. I have to remember the preset and reload Diva and reinsert into the track.

Would you send me an email to clemens AT u-he com ? We might have a new build for you that fixes this
i'd drop clemens an email and see if he can help.
best wishes
max

http://www.redfacilities.com

2 x 3.3 6core mac pro | 12gb ram | mac os 10.7.3| n5.5 | rme multiset/audiolink96 | 3 x 19" flat panels | decklink xt | waves8 | altiverb7 | mc mix

davidgamson

Post by davidgamson » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:22 pm

Thanks...I've read that quote a number of times and can't exactly figure out his workaround. Anyway...I contacted u-he support weeks ago, they have sent the latest build but it (at least for me) doesn't resolve the issue. The other thing is I am getting the same disappearing audio on a few different vsti's which is making me think it might be a nuendo/cubase issue.

twelvetwelve

Post by twelvetwelve » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:45 pm

davidgamson wrote:thanks guys. my system is an 980x i7 with 12 gbs of ram. running windows 64 bit and nuendo 64 bit. 2 uad 2 quad cards as well. nuendo 5.5.3. definitely running the latest version of diva as well.

the ram theory seems plausible, but i just opened up a session where diva is mute. looking in task manager the total ram usage is about 4.5 gb. and nuendo is using just over 2gb of ram. seems like i have plenty of available ram.
Task Manager doesn't tell you the full story. You need Process Explorer and view "Virtual Size" http://steinberg.net/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 74#p147196

davidgamson

Post by davidgamson » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:13 am

ok... i downloaded process explorer. virtual memory of that nuendo session is 3 gb. does that tell me anything? says i have about 7 gigs of available ram when that session is open.

twelvetwelve

Post by twelvetwelve » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:37 am

Apologies - I didn't see you were running Nuendo 64bit so this should not be an issue at all.

Return to “Older Nuendo versions”