Had an accident, how to go back to previous save?

For users of legacy Steinberg Cubase software
KBJRock

Had an accident, how to go back to previous save?

Post by KBJRock »

Is there a way to open the project to a previous save? I had an accident and saved the project stupidly in panic during the accident thinking it was going to crash.

I accidentally pushed the global R button and all my automation went OFF. When pushing it again it activates automation in ALL tracks, not just the ones that had automation. I absolutely need to have the automation ON only in the tracks that I´ve written automation.

I have literally hundreds of tracks in the project and I can´t remember which tracks had automation, it will take me forever to find all the tracks with automation and activate them again manually. All this trouble with one push of a button! :evil:

Shinta215

Re: Had an accident, how to go back to previous save?

Post by Shinta215 »

If you have autosave on, there should be backup files of earlier versions of the project.

To open them, use the open dialog and set "files of type" to "Backup File (.bak)".

I think that they'll be contained in the project folder.

KBJRock

Post by KBJRock »

Shinta215 wrote:If you have autosave on, there should be backup files of earlier versions of the project.

To open them, use the open dialog and set "files of type" to "Backup File (.bak)".

I think that they'll be contained in the project folder.
I don´t use autosave. I always save manually. Can I still find the previous saves?

What´s the open dialog?

Shinta215

Post by Shinta215 »

KBJRock wrote:What´s the open dialog?
File -> Open
KBJRock wrote:I don´t use autosave. I always save manually. Can I still find the previous saves?
Unless you saved them as a different filename (save as), you saved over the previous version(s).

KBJRock

Post by KBJRock »

Shinta215 wrote:
KBJRock wrote:What´s the open dialog?
File -> Open
KBJRock wrote:I don´t use autosave. I always save manually. Can I still find the previous saves?
Unless you saved them as a different filename (save as), you saved over the previous version(s).
No I didn´t. So that´s it then? I´m doomed?

Is there a way to activate just only all the tracks that have automation (not ALL)?

Shinta215

Post by Shinta215 »

KBJRock wrote:Is there a way to activate just only all the tracks that have automation (not ALL)?
I don't believe so.

However, if you didn't write any automation to those tracks, then there isn't any automation to read.

It may not mess up your project.

KBJRock

Post by KBJRock »

Shinta215 wrote:
KBJRock wrote:Is there a way to activate just only all the tracks that have automation (not ALL)?
I don't believe so.

However, if you didn't write any automation to those tracks, then there isn't any automation to read.

It may not mess up your project.
Yes, but I need to be able to identify all the tracks that have automation and tracks that don´t have automation, it´s crucial. Also I need to be able to use the faders on the tracks that don´t have automation.

Shinta215

Post by Shinta215 »

KBJRock wrote:Yes, but I need to be able to identify all the tracks that have automation and tracks that don´t have automation, it´s crucial.
Ah...can't help you there.
KBJRock wrote:Also I need to be able to use the faders on the tracks that don´t have automation.
If read is enabled on a track without automation, the faders are still functional.

chase

Post by chase »

"Show All Used Automation" might help -- C6 manual P234.

Arjan P

Post by Arjan P »

And with hundreds of tracks in a project, switching auto save on might help too. Sorry, couldn't resist.
--- "If anyone owes it all to Bach, it's God" - Emil Cioran ---
SOFT: (All 64 bit) | WaveLab Pro 10.0.50 | Cubase Pro 11.0.0 | HALion 6.0 | Win10 Pro - SoundCloud
HARD: i7-950 | Asus P6TD | 30GB | Tascam DM-3200 | DigiMax48 | Midisport 8x8 - SoundByte Studio

KBJRock

Post by KBJRock »

Arjan P wrote:And with hundreds of tracks in a project, switching auto save on might help too. Sorry, couldn't resist.
Undo (all moves, not just some) would help even more... Or "Enable All Tracks With Used Automation" command.
chase wrote:"Show All Used Automation" might help -- C6 manual P234.
That actually opens tracks also with no automation at all, confusing. A bug?

Shinta215

Post by Shinta215 »

KBJRock wrote:That actually opens tracks also with no automation at all, confusing. A bug?
Odd.

Doesn't happen here.

Post by Guest »

KBJRock wrote:accidentally pushed the global R button and all my automation went OFF. When pushing it again it activates automation in ALL tracks, not just the ones that had automation. I absolutely need to have the automation ON only in the tracks that I´ve written automation.
You can fix it with the "Project Logical Editor".

Just enable the global automation read, then set up these rules in the "Project Logical Editor" and hit apply:

Filter target:
Media Type - Equal - Automation
and
Property - Property is set - Event is empty
Action target:
Track operation - Read - Disable

or with global read automation disabled, set up these rules and hit apply:

Filter target:
and
Property - Property is not set - Event is empty
Action target:
Track operation - Read - Enable

Both ways "Read" on all non automated tracks will be disabled. The first from on state to off, the second from off state to on.

CTRL + ALT + S ;)

KBJRock

Post by KBJRock »

niles wrote:
KBJRock wrote:accidentally pushed the global R button and all my automation went OFF. When pushing it again it activates automation in ALL tracks, not just the ones that had automation. I absolutely need to have the automation ON only in the tracks that I´ve written automation.
You can fix it with the "Project Logical Editor".

Just enable the global automation read, then set up these rules in the "Project Logical Editor" and hit apply:

Filter target:
and
Property - Property is set - Event is empty
Action target:
Track operation - Read - Disable

or with global read automation disabled, set up these rules and hit apply:

Filter target:
and
Property - Property is not set - Event is empty
Action target:
Track operation - Read - Enable

Both ways "Read" on all non automated tracks will be disabled. The first from on state to off, the second from off state to on.

CTRL + ALT + S ;)
The first option disabled the tracks that had automation written, which is the opposite it was suppose to do.

The second option enabled some of the tracks that have automation written (not all) and it also enabled all the group tracks, even those that had no automation written. Not good.

Also in some of my tracks the automation line OFF position could have been different than the ACTIVE fader position, so when clicking R on a track like that I will lose my fader position forever, unless I have a really really good memory, which I don´t.

For example I turn ON automation on a track. I move the volume automation line to let´s say -6dB. Then I turn OFF the automation and just decide to use the fader. I move the fader let´s say -1,02dB, but the automation line will stay in -6dB in OFF state. So when I accidentally click R or the global R the fader will move back to -6dB and I´ll lose all my fader positions in the mix in tracks like that. :cry:

Post by Guest »

KBJRock wrote:The first option disabled the tracks that had automation written, which is the opposite it was suppose to do.

The second option enabled some of the tracks that have automation written (not all) and it also enabled all the group tracks, even those that had no automation written. Not good.
That is not normal behaviour.
The first option can fail with group tracks. The second option should work on all " truly empty" automation tracks. Altough, all the automation must be off before you apply the rule, because It won't disable the read function.
KBJRock wrote: For example I turn ON automation on a track. I move the volume automation line to let´s say -6dB. Then I turn OFF the automation and just decide to use the fader. I move the fader let´s say -1,02dB, but the automation line will stay in -6dB in OFF state. So when I accidentally click R or the global R the fader will move back to -6dB and I´ll lose all my fader positions in the mix in tracks like that. :cry:
Unfortunately this is normal behaviour. The track isn't empty so the Project Logical Editor rules will enable the read.
So I'm afraid you have to manually scroll over all your automation as you don't have earlier versions present.

KBJRock

Post by KBJRock »

niles wrote:
KBJRock wrote:The first option disabled the tracks that had automation written, which is the opposite it was suppose to do.

That is not normal behaviour.
The first option can fail with group tracks. The second option should work on all " truly empty" automation tracks. Altough, all the automation must be off before you apply the rule, because It won't disable the read function.
KBJRock wrote: For example I turn ON automation on a track. I move the volume automation line to let´s say -6dB. Then I turn OFF the automation and just decide to use the fader. I move the fader let´s say -1,02dB, but the automation line will stay in -6dB in OFF state. So when I accidentally click R or the global R the fader will move back to -6dB and I´ll lose all my fader positions in the mix in tracks like that. :cry:
Unfortunately this is normal behaviour. The track isn't empty so the Project Logical Editor rules will enable the read.
So I'm afraid you have to manually scroll over all your automation as you don't have earlier versions present.
Yep, so my mix is ruined.

UNDO would sure had been handy. One accidental click of a wrong button, no undo, no going back to previous save, mix ruined! :cry:

Why can´t Steinberg make UNDO for ALL moves?

Post by Guest »

KBJRock wrote:UNDO would sure had been handy. One accidental click of a wrong button, no undo, no going back to previous save, mix ruined! :cry:

I hear what you say! But in projects this size it's always good to "Save New Version" (CTRL + ALT + S) so you can roll back to previous versions at any time.
What if you experienced a power failure in the middel of a save? All your hard work would be gone, while it could be prevented by pushing two extra buttons when saving!

KBJRock

Post by KBJRock »

niles wrote:
KBJRock wrote:UNDO would sure had been handy. One accidental click of a wrong button, no undo, no going back to previous save, mix ruined! :cry:

I hear what you say! But in projects this size it's always good to "Save New Version" (CTRL + ALT + S) so you can roll back to previous versions at any time.
What if you experienced a power failure in the middel of a save? All your hard work would be gone, while it could be prevented by pushing two extra buttons when saving!
I do use "Save New Version", but the previous save is from a bit far away, I can´t remember what I´ve done since then.

But why can´t there be a save log anyways? Even with manual save. Or that freaking UNDO! Seriously, I need UNDO all moves, not "undo some moves"!

Yeah, I know I know, user error, never Steinberg´s fault. :roll:

Arjan P

Post by Arjan P »

KBJRock wrote:Yeah, I know I know, user error, never Steinberg´s fault.
How do you ever want to blame Steinberg?
- You don't use Auto Save.
- You don't make regular backups.
- You don't make enough saves 'as new'.
--- "If anyone owes it all to Bach, it's God" - Emil Cioran ---
SOFT: (All 64 bit) | WaveLab Pro 10.0.50 | Cubase Pro 11.0.0 | HALion 6.0 | Win10 Pro - SoundCloud
HARD: i7-950 | Asus P6TD | 30GB | Tascam DM-3200 | DigiMax48 | Midisport 8x8 - SoundByte Studio

Grim
Grand Senior Member

Post by Grim »

You say your mix is ruined, but surely it's still possible for you to reset the automation status manually for each track you want it on??
....it may take a while but at least you have that option.

If not then I find the best thing in these circumstances is to convince myself that it's a golden opportunity to improve on my previous mix!

At the end of the day, regardless of missing features in the software, it's your choice how much value you place on your work.
Use all the options you already have available to protect it as best you can!
i7 5820k @3.7Ghz, 16Gb, W10Pro, Cubase 9.0x, Cubase 8.5.x, Audient iD22, Zoom UAC-2, Wavelab Elements 9.x, Nektar Impact GX61

KBJRock

Post by KBJRock »

Arjan P wrote:
KBJRock wrote:Yeah, I know I know, user error, never Steinberg´s fault.
How do you ever want to blame Steinberg?
- You don't use Auto Save.
- You don't make regular backups.
- You don't make enough saves 'as new'.
I don´t use Auto Save for various reason. Auto Save is bad. There´s been lot of discussion about it before in various forums.

I do make regular backups.

I guess I have to do more "Save As New", so guilty there.

Grim wrote:You say your mix is ruined, but surely it's still possible for you to reset the automation status manually for each track you want it on??
....it may take a while but at least you have that option.

If not then I find the best thing in these circumstances is to convince myself that it's a golden opportunity to improve on my previous mix!

At the end of the day, regardless of missing features in the software, it's your choice how much value you place on your work.
Use all the options you already have available to protect it as best you can!
Yes, my mix is ruined for sure now, but I will probably get it back together manually, but it will require few days of extra work. But I´ll never get it identical with the latest mix I had, before I stepped into that damn booby trap.

I wonder what else booby traps there are?

But seriously, Steinberg should do UNDO all moves, then there´s no danger ever.

Rev2010

Post by Rev2010 »

KBJRock wrote:I don´t use Auto Save for various reason. Auto Save is bad. There´s been lot of discussion about it before in various forums.
How on Earth is autosave bad if it doesn't overwrite your current project?? It creates .bak files. If you mess up you close the currently open file and open the .bak file, which I usually rename first but is not necessary. I have Cubase set to autosave every 5 minutes. Plus, I save as a new version with every major update or change - like I just wrote the chorus -> save as a new name. Just finished the bridge -> save as a new name, etc

Rev.

KBJRock

Post by KBJRock »

Rev2010 wrote:
KBJRock wrote:I don´t use Auto Save for various reason. Auto Save is bad. There´s been lot of discussion about it before in various forums.
How on Earth is autosave bad if it doesn't overwrite your current project?? It creates .bak files. If you mess up you close the currently open file and open the .bak file, which I usually rename first but is not necessary. I have Cubase set to autosave every 5 minutes. Plus, I save as a new version with every major update or change - like I just wrote the chorus -> save as a new name. Just finished the bridge -> save as a new name, etc

Rev.
I´ve used the autosave before and it was very unreliable. Very often crashed my project and many have reported the same. Everytime when I save the project locks for 10-20 seconds (beachball rolling on my screen) and this is the crash danger zone, if I am clicking fast anything else. So I want to be in control when I´ll take that little save break and not be doing something important when the computer decides to save.

I´m just wondering can´t there be those .bak files with manual save? What´s the difference?

Rev2010

Post by Rev2010 »

Interesting, I've used autosave set to every 5 or 10 minutes (can't recall the exact time I have set) in Cubase SX3 for years and now Cubase 6. I've never once had an issue with it crashing, nor even slowing down or hanging in the slightest due to autosaves. I just checked the sizes of the backup files for a few of my completed songs and they are only about 2-3 megabytes on average. Can't really see how a save of that size would hang a project.

Can anyone else lend their experience on this?

Rev.

Grim
Grand Senior Member

Post by Grim »

Actually Autosave used to hang the program for long enough to be annoying when I had a slower PC. But still only 3 or 4 seconds at most.

On my current machine I occasionally notice it hang as it saves while I'm trying to do something else but it's only a second or so....not a problem at all.

I've never had a crash caused by it as far as I'm aware.

Maybe the problems mentioned are more common among Mac users.
i7 5820k @3.7Ghz, 16Gb, W10Pro, Cubase 9.0x, Cubase 8.5.x, Audient iD22, Zoom UAC-2, Wavelab Elements 9.x, Nektar Impact GX61

Return to “Older Cubase versions”