HALion 4 wish list

All topics on HALion 4, HALion 5 and Steinberg's VST workstations HALion Sonic 1 and HALion Sonic 2
Bacizone

HALion 4 wish list

Post by Bacizone »

Hi,

I am using HALion 4.5 as my workhorse instrument in Cubase 6 and it all I can say it rocks! I think it was worth to wait some years for the new HALion, as we are facing a very mature and future-proof concept that delivers a whole new level in sound design. So, well done Steinberg, after some "hopeless" years your products are getting better and better again...

I hope HALion 5 will arrive soon, so here is my feature wish list list to to include in the next generation.
Feel free to add yours in this thread to inspire the developers (but I assume they have a roadmap for some years ahead...)

HALion 5 wish list:

- please add the Quick Control assignments to modulation destinations

- Quick Control changes should provide a visual feedback in the assigned knobs

- automation may display the original HALion parameter values

- An "automatic preview load" mode for MediaBay that allows to A / B listen to programs / layers (even soloed when the "Show Program Structure" is turned on) before adding it eg. to a new layer of a program already existing in a slot. This is a invisible temporary slot, that essentially allows A/B comparison. This would completely eliminate the guessing "How it sounds?" and would save us lots of unnecessary "load-delete program" cycles.

- the ability to browse and load patches just by moving the up/down arrow (without pressing Enter)

- please add the ability to load external impulse files into Reverence

- Loop modulation: current Sample Start modulation based on note-on trigger is ok, but kind of old-fashioned. Real-time modulation of sample start, sample end, and start-end loop linked by an asssignable MIDI controller (like in Ableton's Sampler) would be awesome.

- FlexPhraser
export : drag-and-drop a FlexPhraser sequence to a Cubase track / Merge MIDI In Loops / just record to a MIDI track, whichever
import: any MIDI sequence

- Several functions are still not assignable to keycommands, eg. please add the "Solo Follow Selection" and "Auto Visibility" to the keycommand editor

- Crossfade editor in the MIDI Editor: Keyrange and velocity crossfades over the keyboard range should be included in the MIDI Editor as well (like in Omnisphere) as crossfading at slot-level is not possible yet.

- MIDI Module: Monophonic Step Modulator

- New synthesis models to even expand the current superb sound design abilities of HALion, eg. granular synthesis of Padshop, additive, wavetable, FM > see your NEW competition for inspiraton :)

- The slice integration with Cubase 6 is awesome, so maybe you should NOT focus resource to create a built-in slicing engine.... yeah I know.. what about the other DAW users, they are a very small minority I suppose.
Last edited by Bacizone on Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

No1DaBeats

Re: HALion 5 wish list

Post by No1DaBeats »

It'd be nice to group-edit samples with the Sample Editor (such things as adjusting the sample-start and -end).
But I don't know if it is already possible and I haven't found the function yet.
I'd also like to see the root key of the current selected sample on the piano roll and adjust it with drag&drop like in Kontakt.
But again: maybe it already exists and I was just too busy too find out.

Edit: Found it. Press the alt-key and click on a key of the Mapping Editor Keyboard to assign the Root Key.
I'm reading through the whole manual right now and damn... I didn't know a thing!
Last edited by No1DaBeats on Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Surface Book 2 (i7 16GB), Steinberg UR28M, Yamaha KX 49, Steinberg CMC CH, PD, TP & QC, Cubase Pro 9, WaveLab 8.0.2, Halion 6, Groove Agent 4

------

Life is too short for realtime-bouncing..

tonka134

Post by tonka134 »

+1 for importing Impulses responses.

Impulse responses processors are fantastic sound design tools that are more than just Cathedral emulators. Galaxy X and Speakerphone are great examples. It would expand Halion into a sound designers dream.

electronix

Post by electronix »

Make it more open sounding.. Compared to Mach Five 3, H4 sounds really plain and low fi compared to the nice open sound of mach five 3, or even Kontakt for the matter, but in this case Mach Five trumps even Kontakt.. Halion is last place.. This is while monitoring on hi end converters, it clearly tells the difference between each sampler..
Mac Pro 8 Core|4ghz|1600mhz|12GB Ram|10.7.2 OSX Lion|Rme Fireface|Lavry AD10/Lavry DA10|Novation Impulse 61|Novation Sl MK2 Zero|Alesis QS7|.N.I.Maschine.|Grace 101|Focusrite Pre|Presonus Monitor Station|HP4|Faderport|DynAudio Bm5a MK2|22 GIK Traps
Software: Cubase 6.5|Studio One Pro 2|Logic 9

No1DaBeats

Post by No1DaBeats »

True. But isn't that also a matter of the content?
I only know Kontakt and most of the NI Multisamples
sound a lot better. But I guess that depends on stuff
like Noise-Samples that are triggered with the note off
message, roundrobin and that there are more samples for each key- and
velocity-zone. Plus the saturator in Kontakt makes almost every
sample sound great.
Surface Book 2 (i7 16GB), Steinberg UR28M, Yamaha KX 49, Steinberg CMC CH, PD, TP & QC, Cubase Pro 9, WaveLab 8.0.2, Halion 6, Groove Agent 4

------

Bacizone

Post by Bacizone »

electronix wrote:Make it more open sounding.. Compared to Mach Five 3, H4 sounds really plain and low fi compared to the nice open sound of mach five 3, or even Kontakt for the matter, but in this case Mach Five trumps even Kontakt.. Halion is last place.. This is while monitoring on hi end converters, it clearly tells the difference between each sampler..
I do not have the Mach5, so can not comment that, but I think the H4 is better than Kontakt in terms of sound quality of presets. Not mentioning the GUI, the synth engine, etc. But it is also a matter of personal taste…

But I do not think that H4 sounds "lo-fi" at all...

Did you try exact tests, like loading and playing the very same sample set without filters, envelopes, etc. both in HALion and M5, then rendering to a wav file and phase invert and null them?

Bacizone

Post by Bacizone »

+1 feature: Parallel Legato Sample Triggering

A special thing, it is implemented and called as "Legato Clip Launching" in Ableton Live 8.

This is from Live manual: "Suppose you have gathered, in one track, a number of looping clips, and you now want to toggle among them without losing the sync. When a clip in Legato Mode is launched, it takes over the play position from whatever clip was played in that track before. Hence, you can toggle clips at any moment and rate without ever losing the sync."

Would be an awesome addition to HALion 5, using MIDI keyboard to trigger notes in this legato fashion.

Bacizone

Post by Bacizone »

+1 lossless compression of *.vstsound container files (similar to Kontakt's ncw format)

peter ripa

Post by peter ripa »

pingpong looping of samples
win10. halion6. cubase9.5. wavelab 9. rme ff800. motu midi express128. etc

MrSoundman

Post by MrSoundman »

... that HALion 5 will be known instead as HALion 4.6 :-)
Windows 10 • Cubase 11.0.0 • WaveLab 10.0.50 • SpectraLayers 7.0.20 • HALion 6.4.10 • Groove Agent 5.0.30 • Midex

Cantankerous

Post by Cantankerous »

MrSoundman wrote:... that HALion 5 will be known instead as HALion 4.6 :-)
I doubt it, Steinberg never release anything past x.5.x.
Asus P8P67
8GB G.Skill DDR3-1600 7-8-7-24
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Echo Audiofire8
Virus Ti Desktop
Novation 49SL MKII
UAD-2 Quad x 2
CUBASE 7.5
HALion 5

Bane

Post by Bane »

Let's just hope it's not as long from version 4 to 5 as it was from 3 to 4!
Asus R500A-RS52, Windows 8, 2.6gHz i5 -3230M, 6GB RAM,

Cubase Artist 7.0.6, Wavelab Elements 7, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6, The Grand 3, Melodyne Essential, Superior Drummer, EZDrummer and Pop! EZX, Samson CO1, Yamaha P-35, Mackie MR5mk2 monitors, and more....

My tunes on: Soundcloud

Cantankerous

Post by Cantankerous »

haha, ain't that the truth! To be honest, I am expecting something soon, perhaps later this month or next. It will probably drop unexpected. Things have been quite quiet at Steinberg and as great as Halion 4.5 is, it is still coming up short in a few key areas that I hope to see addressed.
Asus P8P67
Echo Audiofire8
Virus Ti Desktop
Novation 49SL MKII
UAD-2 Quad x 2
CUBASE 7.5
HALion 5

No1DaBeats

Post by No1DaBeats »

An input-bus-section to route signals from the DAW directly through
the same filters and other components of a certain program. Could be realized like the external
keying of the cubase dynamics (cubase-side; f.e. sending the signal of a track with the sends to
"Halion 4 Input Bus 1") and with a module in the program tree (halion-side; rightclick > New > Input Bus 1).

Why? Why not!

------

Cantankerous

Post by Cantankerous »

No1DaBeats wrote:An input-bus-section to route signals from the DAW directly through
the same filters and other components of a certain program. Could be realized like the external
keying of the cubase dynamics (cubase-side; f.e. sending the signal of a track with the sends to
"Halion 4 Input Bus 1") and with a module in the program tree (halion-side; rightclick > New > Input Bus 1).

Why? Why not!
Oh now that does sound sick! Imagine creating a layer in this input bus where you could layer a sample, create a synth patch etc and have it all adjustable by envelopes, modulation, pitch, filters, FX etc. Brilliant!
Asus P8P67
Echo Audiofire8
Virus Ti Desktop
Novation 49SL MKII
UAD-2 Quad x 2
CUBASE 7.5
HALion 5

zootsuitk9

Post by zootsuitk9 »

Cantankerous wrote:
No1DaBeats wrote:An input-bus-section to route signals from the DAW directly through

Why? Why not!
Oh now that does sound sick! Imagine creating a layer in this input bus where you could layer a sample, create a synth patch etc and have it all adjustable by envelopes, modulation, pitch, filters, FX etc. Brilliant!
+1
...and an audio recorder to record the input for further manipulation in Halion, i.e. a sampler that actually records samples.
Microsoft Vista Home; Athlon 1.66Ghz, 2.5 GB Ram; Echo Gina 24; Cubase VST5, SX1, SX3; Reason 3; FL Studio; Hypersonic; Komplete 3; Various Guitars and Basses; Various other VSTi and effects.

Cantankerous

Post by Cantankerous »

peter ripa wrote:pingpong looping of samples
I put in a feature request for this very thing awhile back.

http://www.steinberg.net/forum/viewtopi ... ng#p117346
Asus P8P67
Echo Audiofire8
Virus Ti Desktop
Novation 49SL MKII
UAD-2 Quad x 2
CUBASE 7.5
HALion 5

No1DaBeats

Post by No1DaBeats »

It's way faster too make a good sounding sustain loop
with ping pong loop than searching for a fitting start and end
for a usual sustain loop. So I also hope that they'll implement this
feature.

------

Bacizone

Post by Bacizone »

Batch Saving of selected programs from the Program Tree and /or Slots.
Last edited by Bacizone on Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bacizone

Post by Bacizone »

A bit more intelligent MIDI Channel assignment of the Slots:

Current behaviour:
1. Load 3 programs.
2. All set to Ch 1 to layer them.
3. When I load the 4th program it is set to Ch4 default.

Should work like this:
1. Load 3 programs.
2. All set to Ch 1 to layer them.
3. When I load the 4th program it should set the next lowest empty / not used MIDI Channel, which is actually Ch 2 now.

It is not a big problem at a 3 layers Program, I set them manually, but may be more convenient at Programs building more layers, and maybe in any situation, as all MIDI slots would be used for sure.

Bacizone

Post by Bacizone »

Parameters Lock

Locking an impressive parameter set (e.g. a special delay or oscillator settings) of a current Program and keep the locked one when a new one is loaded to the same slot.

E.g. I like a delay setting or an oscillator and or a filter in a song... I lock them, then keep changing Programs in the same slot. All new Programs will still sound different, except the delay, or the oscillator, or the filter.. depending on what was locked for the first time. This is an idea from a famous synthesizer you certainly know, and it works.
Last edited by Bacizone on Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bacizone

Post by Bacizone »

Slot-level editing

The "unlimited layer / absolute-relative / selected-all" concept of editing is fantastic to use!
However, sometime I'd need to edit several Programs in the Program Slots simultaneously.

Two possible method to implement it into next HALion:

1. Program of the selected slots all gets the same absoute / relative parameter changes. I think this is hard to implement, as the basic concept of HALion already follows the "Always one program is displayed in the Program Tree". However, it is also true that user does not have visual feedback here (except the field with different values are getting red) when making any setting to multiple layers of a Program either.

2. Maybe a better one: implement a simple "right click > copy" then "right click > paste" (or simple icons for these) where all module settings (e.g. all envelope and / or filter settings, depending on the selected modules) could be copy / pasted between Programs.
Sure, I do know that module presets can be saved, however this would be
- much faster to select and copy/paste multiple module settings in one go
- and user not necessarily want to save each parameter set as a preset.
Last edited by Bacizone on Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Cantankerous

Post by Cantankerous »

Bacizone wrote:Parameters Lock

Locking an impressive parameter set (e.g. a special delay or oscillator settings) of a current Program and keep the locked one when a new one is loaded to the same slot.

E.g. I like a delay setting or an oscillator and or a filter in a song... I lock them, then keep changing Programs in the same slot. All new Programs will still sound different, except the delay, or the oscillator, or the filter.. depending on what was locked for the first time. This is an idea from a famous synthesizer you certainly know, and it works.
I am liking the way you think. This has crossed my mind too, just haven't got around to posting it here. I was thinking along the lines of envelopes, modulation etc, where you can lock a particular section you have sounding just the way you want and then load different samples to see how they sound with those parameters still left the way they were from a previous patch. This sure saves a lot of time and guess in work in having to reprogram all settings from scratch. My Virus Ti does this and it really is a neat and handy feature.
Asus P8P67
Echo Audiofire8
Virus Ti Desktop
Novation 49SL MKII
UAD-2 Quad x 2
CUBASE 7.5
HALion 5

Bacizone

Post by Bacizone »

Thanks. Yes, this idea is inspired by the TI. :)

Bacizone

Post by Bacizone »

For sample library developers:

1. "Copy/password protected and licence/trial time scheme with expiration" kind-of authoring. A password should release the content after the trial period has expired. Should be able to generate a list of activation codes as well.

2. Skinnable gui for developers releasing their own sample-sets... similar to those of current Macro pages of HALion...not mentioning Kontakt.

Kontakt is way ahead of HALion in this regard, HALion is nowhere near to popularity of Kontakt, so opening to 3rd party developers with attractive conditions should necessary to kick HALion into the frontline again. And SB, please not be so greedy as NI regarding the licensing fees. You certainly deserve the cash, but please make HALion licencing fees more friendly to smaller companies as well... in case you want to spread the new HALion fast.

Return to “Halion 5 | Halion 4 | Halion Sonic | Halion Sonic 2”