FEATURE REQUEST: Export Frozen Tracks

For users of legacy Steinberg Cubase software
AndyThommen

FEATURE REQUEST: Export Frozen Tracks

Post by AndyThommen »

Hello.

As we do a lot of collaboration with geographically distant people, we use a lot the track import/export feature (track archive).

I send you the new vocal track, you send me the new guitar solo...

This works only with audio tracks and midi tracks, but not with frozen VSTi tracks.

Have a nice day.

Andy
SW: Cubase 8.0.20, OSX 10.13.1, MacMookPro (mid 2014), 15", 2.2GHz i7, 16GB, 256GBSSD, UAD Apollo8 TB Quad + Satellite Quad

Shinta215

Re: FEATURE REQUEST: Export Frozen Tracks

Post by Shinta215 »

Couldn't you just unfreeze the track and export the MIDI and/or audio?

Or even send the audio file created when freezing occurs?

Cubase would have to load everything back in anyway (I think).

AndyThommen

Post by AndyThommen »

Shinta215 wrote:Couldn't you just unfreeze the track and export the MIDI and/or audio?

Or even send the audio file created when freezing occurs?

Thanks for your reply.

If I unfreeze the track and I don't have the VSTi installed on that machine, I loose all sound.

I've never messed up with the Freeze Files Folder, but I think that if I have a (e.g.) piano part at the beginning, another in the middle and another at the end, I would have to send 3 audio files without any timing reference, so importing would be a nightmare.

It would be nice if frozen tracks would just be handled as any other track, so when I have to export e.g.12 tracks, I don't have to render individual frozen VSTis before the export.

Andy
SW: Cubase 8.0.20, OSX 10.13.1, MacMookPro (mid 2014), 15", 2.2GHz i7, 16GB, 256GBSSD, UAD Apollo8 TB Quad + Satellite Quad

Shinta215

Post by Shinta215 »

AndyThommen wrote:If I unfreeze the track and I don't have the VSTi installed on that machine, I loose all sound.
I was assuming VST mirroring on the machines.
AndyThommen wrote:I would have to send 3 audio files without any timing reference, so importing would be a nightmare.
I think it's one audio file per track. It's basically an export then import of that track.

I would think that the audio files from freezing would be the best way.
In reality, a frozen instrument track is just an audio file (in-place render).
I just don't know about how their named.

Split
Grand Senior Member

Post by Split »

The trouble with frozen tracks is it strips out the silent bits and sticks it all together!
??????Split
Cubase 10|MOTU 16A
Still at it... just!

AndyThommen

Post by AndyThommen »

...so you are saying that I can go to the freeze folder, take the file and insert it at bar 1.0.0 and I have the rendered track?

I never tried this.

Great if that works, but it still looks like a workaround, but great idea.

Thanks.

Andy

Shinta215

Post by Shinta215 »

AndyThommen wrote:...so you are saying that I can go to the freeze folder, take the file and insert it at bar 1.0.0 and I have the rendered track?
I'm not sure of that.

Try before committing.

Cubase may just keep track of the location of the start of the VST playing and insert the freeze file there.

Shinta215

Post by Shinta215 »

Split wrote:The trouble with frozen tracks is it strips out the silent bits and sticks it all together!
What do you mean by that Split?

Strophoid
Grand Senior Member

Post by Strophoid »

That means that wherever the frozen track is silent, that information is not stored in the frozen wave file to reduce filesize. You have all the information in that wave, but the timing will be wrong unless the frozen instrument was playing in the song from the beginning all the way till the end.
Software: Steinberg Cubase Pro 8 64-bit.
Hardware: Intel i5 6600, 16Gb DDR3, Win7 64-bit
Mackie Onyx 1620i - Steinberg Midex 8 - Steinberg CC121.

My humble contributions to what could be considered music.

Shinta215

Post by Shinta215 »

Ah...

So @AndyThommen, I guess it won't work.

AndyThommen

Post by AndyThommen »

Thanks to all.

No worries, I'll continue to manually bounce the frozen tracks (via internal bus) to audio and then export them, until this feature (or a simple one-button bounce) will be implemented.

Have a nice day.

Andy

artisan

Post by artisan »

Freeze as a function is on a permanent *backburner*

Conman

Post by Conman »

As you're using an i7 machine you should not need to freeze any tracks IF you use a reasonable number of tracks/parts.
There is a limit. If you need freeze then the amount of work you have in a Project would be very close to unmanageable brainwise anyway.
Maybe have a good think about the way you work and if you could do anything more economically so as not to overload your components. Taking a little time now could save you loads in future.

Freeze is a stop-gap for older machines to enable users to carry on working when they need a bit extra to finish off a Project. I don't think it was meant as a main feature for very long and If I needed to use it I'd use it as sparingly as possible and not plaster it all over the Project. I'd expect some real funny trouble if I had to. It'd be more realistic to convert it to audio and mute the midi track. Job done. Overload eased and exportable.
Asus P6T deluxe; Core i7 920 2.67gHz; 12gig ram; Win7 Pro SP1; Roland Octa-Capture usb inteface; Cubase 6; and no 3rd party additions couple of hard drives PSU 750watt; NVidia GE Force 9600.
"An entrepreneur accepts that the world is the way that it is and goes about changing it rather than waiting for someone to make it easy for them."

Audiocave

Post by Audiocave »

I have to politely disagree with Conman.

I have an i7 with 64-bit Win 7 w/ 8gb. Windows itself takes about 1gb and large sample sets can quickly eat the rest. Freezing these days is about freeing memory, not cpu, at least for me. I use Mach 5 and Kontakt mosty and the best sounding large sample sets can eat 6-7 gb in no time at all... so I freeze to free up ram.

artisan

Post by artisan »

It doesn't really matter what it's for, the fact is it is a relatively cr@p feature that has been neglected since its' inception.

AndyThommen

Post by AndyThommen »

Conman wrote:As you're using an i7 machine you should not need to freeze any tracks IF you use a reasonable number of tracks/parts.
There is a limit. If you need freeze then the amount of work you have in a Project would be very close to unmanageable brainwise anyway.
Maybe have a good think about the way you work and if you could do anything more economically so as not to overload your components. Taking a little time now could save you loads in future.

Freeze is a stop-gap for older machines to enable users to carry on working when they need a bit extra to finish off a Project. I don't think it was meant as a main feature for very long and If I needed to use it I'd use it as sparingly as possible and not plaster it all over the Project. I'd expect some real funny trouble if I had to. It'd be more realistic to convert it to audio and mute the midi track. Job done. Overload eased and exportable.
Sorry, you didn't read the post.

During the creative/writing phase, the keyboarder (in city "A") creates keyboard tracks in a project with VSTis that will be frozen and then sent to the recording studio in city "B" where those VSTis are not installed.

We use freeze for compatibility reasons, not to reduce CPU usage.

Again: the workaround is a bounce via internal buss and then export, but it would be easier to have a feature to simply export the track.

Andy

artisan

Post by artisan »

To my way of thinking freeze should be fully integrated with the pool.

Conman

Post by Conman »

During the creative/writing phase, the keyboarder (in city "A") creates keyboard tracks in a project with VSTis that will be frozen and then sent to the recording studio in city "B" where those VSTis are not installed.

We use freeze for compatibility reasons, not to reduce CPU usage.
Point me to the page in the MANUAL that says that frozen tracks can be exported and I will believe that you have read it. :mrgreen:
Compatibility with WHAT? Are you exporting to a mortuary? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

What's wrong with exporting as OMF ?

Freezing to save RAM? (Audiocave) I'd just buy more ram. It's be cheaper in the long run.
Last edited by Conman on Thu May 10, 2012 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Asus P6T deluxe; Core i7 920 2.67gHz; 12gig ram; Win7 Pro SP1; Roland Octa-Capture usb inteface; Cubase 6; and no 3rd party additions couple of hard drives PSU 750watt; NVidia GE Force 9600.
"An entrepreneur accepts that the world is the way that it is and goes about changing it rather than waiting for someone to make it easy for them."

Split
Grand Senior Member

Post by Split »

Actually freezing the odd track to quickly stop a high latency plugin getting in the way of a quick overdub is very handy on occasion.
??????Split
Cubase 10|MOTU 16A
Still at it... just!

Conman

Post by Conman »

Split wrote:Actually freezing to odd track to quickly stop the odd high latency plugin getting in the way of a quick overdub is very handy on occasion.

I'd agree with that. Nice trick with it. Creative, and you didn't have to ask Cubase to add it as a feature. :mrgreen:

AndyThommen

Post by AndyThommen »

Conman wrote:[...]Point me to the page in the MANUAL that says that frozen tracks can be exported and I will believe that you have read it. :mrgreen:

Compatibility with WHAT? Are you exporting to a mortuary? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

What's wrong with exporting as OMF ?

[...]
I cannot show you the manual page as this is the feature I am requesting. As far as I know Steinberg does not document in their manual features that will be requested in the future...

Exporting via OMF from Cubase 6 to Cubase 6 looks rather strange to me...

Andy

Quadrod

Post by Quadrod »

will a frozen track open and play properly with fx in someone else's cubase if they don't have the same vst plugin in the originating cubase pc? I'm imaging that it does.
Cubase 11| Intel Core i7-5820K | ASUS X99 Deluxe | 64 Gig Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 DRAM 2666MHz | Win 10 64bit | UAD APollo Quad | And trust me, I did a Search on the Forum and I DID RTFM, so if your answer is RTFM or SEARCH, don't bother replying.

AndyThommen

Post by AndyThommen »

Hi Artisan.

Thanks for the intresting link.
We use a lot OMF when recording drums in another studio on Logic or PT, and then we come back to Cubase 6. I think it would be an overhead to export a track from Cubase 6 in OMF and then re-import it on another Cubase 6 machine.
The Track Archive function is absolutely genius for replacing individual tracks recorded elswhere (on Cubase 6), just like replacing a single track on a multitrack tape recorder... my request to Steinberg is to have the same genius function to work on frozen tracks.

Looks like we are the only ones using this feature since nobody understands my request... :(

Have a nice day.

Andy

AndyThommen

Post by AndyThommen »

Quadrod wrote:will a frozen track open and play properly with fx in someone else's cubase if they don't have the same vst plugin in the originating cubase pc? I'm imaging that it does.
YES, that's what we do, BUT you have to transfer the whole project (.cpr with all subfolders), you cannot export the individual track and transfer it to another machine (that is my feature request).

Andy

Return to “Older Cubase versions”