Change Tempo Without Altering Audio

For users of legacy Steinberg Cubase software
sournote

Change Tempo Without Altering Audio

Post by sournote »

I recorded several tracks into a song from ADAT with the wrong tempo so now I need to change it. However, every option I tried for altering the tempo seems to throw the audio tracks off. Is there a way to just simply change the tempo of the song without screwing up the synchronization of all my tracks?

Suprawill1

Re: Change Tempo Without Altering Audio

Post by Suprawill1 »

Your probable best bet is to re-record the tracks at the right tempo. Otherwise, you're probably destined for a Cubase timestretch process or another app that will automatically timestretch with the tempo adjustment. I use Melodyne Editor for this process and it works quite well as long as the tempo change isn't too extreme. Of course, that will be the case with any app.
Home built Cooler Master tower - ASUS Prime Z270 MB - Intel Core i7 6700K@4.2G - 32G G.Skill Ripjaw V - Dual 24" Monitors - Cubase Pro 10 - Windows 10 & 7 Pro 64 - Samsung 970 EVO NVMe - Samsung 960 EVO NVMe - 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs - Roland Studio Capture Interface - X Touch Controller - Halion 6 - Addictive Drums 1&2 - Melodyne 4 - Serato

vic_france
Grand Senior Member

Post by vic_france »

2 things to do..
1) In the Audio Pool, make sure that "Musical Mode" is unchecked for each audio file.
2) In the Project window, switch all audio tracks from Musical Timebase to Linear Timebase (change each track's "quarter-note" icon into a "clock" icon).
You can now change Cubase's tempo without affecting the audio.
Mac Pro Quad-Core (2009) 2.66 GHz | 16GB RAM | MOTU PCI-424/2408mk3|MOTU Midi Timepiece AV | Mac OS X 10.9.5 | Cubase 9.5.0| Logic Pro X 10.2.2| ProTools 11.3.1| Ableton Live 9.7.5| Reaper 562 | Studio One Pro 3.5.1

matjones

Post by matjones »

It's worth trying musical mode but prepare to be highly disappointed!
Re-recording it would most likely be your best option here.
Cubase 10.5.12 Asus Z390-Plus, i9 9900 @ (3.7) 5GHz, 64GB DDR4 3000Mhz RAM, RME Multiface II PCIe, SSL Alpha Channel/Fusion, UAD2 Octo/Solo/Quad, UA6176, Neve 8801/8803, Loads of plugs, WL10, Melodyne Studio 5, Arturia VC7, iZotope MPS, Eventide XI, Various toys, Telefunken, Neumann, AKG, Austrian Audio, Sontronics, Shure Mics, Adam A7X and Avantone monitors, AKG K702, ATH-M70x, Nektar P6, Warwick, Spector Basses, Gibson Les Paul Studio & loads of other junk.

Minds are like parachutes, they work best when they're open.

sournote

Post by sournote »

vic_france wrote:2 things to do..
1) In the Audio Pool, make sure that "Musical Mode" is unchecked for each audio file.
2) In the Project window, switch all audio tracks from Musical Timebase to Linear Timebase (change each track's "quarter-note" icon into a "clock" icon).
You can now change Cubase's tempo without affecting the audio.
Linear Timebase worked perfectly!! Thanks for the replies everyone...

hoteleden

Post by hoteleden »

Excellent tips. In my case, by 'changing tempo without altering audio,' I wanted Cubase to actually change it so as to keep everything lined up and sounding exactly the same, except faster (I recorded a song with vocals but wanted to increase the bpm). Sort of the inverse of what vic_france is offering. So to do *this* instead:

1) In the Audio Pool, make sure Musical Mode is turned *on*.
2) leave all audio tracks in Musical Timebase, and
3) change the song's Tempo in the transport as usual.

This keeps all audio events in their place and stretches/compresses them to sound right. My change was only a few bpm (85 to 87 bpm) so it works, but yes, I would recommend re-recording to prevent artifacting, especially with dramatic changes (>5 bpm).

Jouleskeys

Post by Jouleskeys »

What about all the midi? Was this covered?
Cubase 10.5 Pro & Jbridge for old 32bit plugs
Motherboard: Asrock 570X Extreme
RAM: 16GB x2 Ryzen Vengeance DDR4 3600 RAM
CPU: Ryzen9 3950X
HDs: Intel M.2 SSD OS, Corsair Performance Pro, Samsung Evo, Audio running on a 2TB SATA moving HD @ 7200RPM
PCIe: 2 Port Lycom PE-107 PCI-E FireWire 800 (1394b)
Audio: RME Fireface 800 + Midiman 8x8s Midisport
Graphics: Radeon MSI 580 Armor 8GB

Suprawill1

Post by Suprawill1 »

Jouleskeys wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:57 pm
What about all the midi? Was this covered?
If you have previously quantized midi, it will all be on a grid and will move to your tempo changes accordingly. If your midi is in free form, (not played along with a tempo time clock) that may be a problem.
Home built Cooler Master tower - ASUS Prime Z270 MB - Intel Core i7 6700K@4.2G - 32G G.Skill Ripjaw V - Dual 24" Monitors - Cubase Pro 10 - Windows 10 & 7 Pro 64 - Samsung 970 EVO NVMe - Samsung 960 EVO NVMe - 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs - Roland Studio Capture Interface - X Touch Controller - Halion 6 - Addictive Drums 1&2 - Melodyne 4 - Serato

Return to “Older Cubase versions”