Pasting can result in horizontally linked slurs/dynamics

Discussions about our next-generation scoring application, Dorico.
JesterMusician

Pasting can result in horizontally linked slurs/dynamics

Post by JesterMusician »

If I take a measure of music with slurs and dynamics, and I paste it over multiple successive measures, the resulting dynamics and slurs are horizontally linked together (not grouped), even when "Link dynamics and slurs to existing items when pasting" is disabled.

Is horizontal linking known or expected behaviour? The documentation actually states that the start positions must be the same, but even manual horizontal linking seems to be possible. I suppose it could be useful, but I worry about a situation where I'm editing slurs or dynamics in one measure and unwittingly editing another in a different measure. Therefore, I'd like it to respect the option when pasting.

lucas_r_r

Re: Pasting can result in horizontally linked slurs/dynamics

Post by lucas_r_r »

“Linking horizontally” is called grouping in Dorico, so that setting does not affect the behaviour you are describing.
Lucas Rei Ramos
Composer, Jazz piano player
macOS 10.14.6 Mojave, Dorico Pro 3.5
Macbook Pro unibody mid-2012, Intel i7 16GB RAM.
www.lucasreiramos.com

JesterMusician

Post by JesterMusician »

If they were grouped, I would have used the word grouped, but they are not. Please see below:

lucas_r_r

Post by lucas_r_r »

Sorry for the assumption, these terms cause confusion sometimes amongst users. The behaviour you show seems abnormal, and I’ve ended up sometimes with situations like these. I recall having this problem (with an XML import) and Daniel told me that Dorico doesn’t actually have a technical restriction to link items in different positions, but it actively prevents so. However, sometimes this doesn’t work quite exactly like that.
viewtopic.php?f=246&t=168634&p=902030&h ... ed#p901869
Lucas Rei Ramos
Composer, Jazz piano player
macOS 10.14.6 Mojave, Dorico Pro 3.5
Macbook Pro unibody mid-2012, Intel i7 16GB RAM.
www.lucasreiramos.com

JesterMusician

Post by JesterMusician »

I wouldn't say it actively prevents so. You can get dynamics and slurs in this state by simply right clicking on them and selecting "Dynamics > Link" or "Slurs > Link", even if they are at different start positions.

JesterMusician

Post by JesterMusician »

Related: The "Explode" operation also always results in linked slurs and dynamics, even if the "Link dynamics and slurs to existing items when pasting" option is disabled. (However, "Reduce" follows this option.)

This isn't as bad since the result should always be at the same rhythmic position, but it still results in potentially undesirable linking. I'd prefer it if Dorico could respect this option, or better yet, include linking options in the Paste Special settings of Note Input Options.

Daniel at Steinberg

Post by Daniel at Steinberg »

Thanks for reporting this. We can reproduce the problem and will try to fix it in a future update.

Return to “Dorico”