Support Blues-Rock in Sample Editor

All feature requests and suggestions for upcoming releases of Cubase Pro 10, Cubase Artist 10 and Cubase Elements 10 can be posted here.
superuser

Support Blues-Rock in Sample Editor

Post by superuser »

Blues-Rock is in 4/4 and every quarter has 3 subdivisions. This cannot be displayed in sample editor. There is no way to see whether a signal (e.g. guitar chord or drum hit) is in-time, because the sample editor raster always displays 4 subdivisions per quarter note.

Workaround: If you want to edit blues-rock, don't use Cubase 10, use something more professional :P

superuser

Re: Support Blues-Rock in Sample Editor

Post by superuser »

Sorry for sarcasm, is there any other workaround?

Don-Brock

Post by Don-Brock »

Hello superuser

I'm not sure if I understand what you are missing , but is it possible to set a 6/8 signature and then work in half - 3/4 to achieve what you request ?
Screenshot 2020-06-04 at 21.01.13.png
(109.77 KiB) Not downloaded yet
All the best, Brock
◊ Mac mini (Late 2014) ◊ 2,6 GHz Intel Core i5 ◊ 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 ◊ Intel Iris 1536 MB ◊

ggmanestraki

Post by ggmanestraki »

1) The Sample editor needs triplet grids.

2) The Tempo ttack needs note values.

1) So that when you are @Quarter=100, you can click triplet grid and edit accordingly.

OR

2) Decide to switch from 4/4 @quarter=100 to 12/8 @dotted quarter=100 and achieve the same thing with normal subdivisions.

Both are needed.

superuser

Post by superuser »

There are many very popular rhythms like Blues, Blues-Rock, Swing (Jazz), Bembe (Afro) which are triplet based. I cannot understand how Cubase can maintain its "professional" marketing-image without support for these basic ryhthms. Any serious test in a magazin shoud point out "Cubase cannot handle triplet grooves". I was really shocked when I discovered this *after* I bought the PRO license. Not talking about advanced stuff like 7/8 etc.

superuser

Post by superuser »

ggmanestraki wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:39 am
1) The Sample editor needs triplet grids.

2) The Tempo ttack needs note values.

1) So that when you are @Quarter=100, you can click triplet grid and edit accordingly.

OR

2) Decide to switch from 4/4 @quarter=100 to 12/8 @dotted quarter=100 and achieve the same thing with normal subdivisions.

Both are needed.
Totally aggree, this is very basic stuff and its hard to understand why Cubase (which claims to be "professional") does not support this.

superuser

Post by superuser »

superuser wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:35 pm
There are many very popular rhythms like Blues, Blues-Rock, Swing (Jazz), Bembe (Afro) which are triplet based. I cannot understand how Cubase can maintain its "professional" marketing-image without support for these basic ryhthms. Any serious test in a magazin shoud point out "Cubase cannot handle triplet grooves". I was really shocked when I discovered this *after* I bought the PRO license. Not talking about advanced stuff like 7/8 etc.
Maybe some Steinberg people can tell me why they think triplet support is not necessary for a "professional" audio production system?

superuser

Post by superuser »

e.g. "All Blues" from Miles Davis, very popular, played on almost every Jam Session. Cannot be produced with Cubase PRO :( See example https://youtu.be/4X0W_Jb592g?t=31

superuser

Post by superuser »

e.g. songs like this cannot be produced with Cubase because it lacks triplet support (one of my favorite German bands): https://youtu.be/III8XBJUh9I

Return to “Feature Requests and Suggestions”