Cubase 10.5 Still Has A Memory Leak

Use this forum for an overview of issues and to report new ones.
Ted Perlman

Cubase 10.5 Still Has A Memory Leak

Post by Ted Perlman »

Every month I take time away from Nuendo and try to work in Cubase 10.5. There are so many great features, and I especially like that the clip of any audio or midi I am currently editing gets highlighted in black, instead of circled in gold or red like in Nuendo, which I cannot see (being partially colorblind)

Anyway, my latest foray yesterday resulted in the same bugs that I have found from the first release of 10.5, in my opinion the most buggy version of any Steinberg software ever. I worked on my arrangement for many hours without any issues, but all of a sudden the CPU spiked so high that the song wouldn't play, it kept stopping. I started turning off VSTi's, plugins, etc. Nothing helped. I disabled instruments, muted folders, etc. Nope, CPU still spiking to the edge. I even turned the latency for my Scarlett Interface up to 2048. Nope. I closed Cubase and opened the exact same song in Nuendo 10.2.20. With the latency set to 256, the song played fine. CPU was down where I expected it, around 40%.

And so ended my yet again monthly visit to Cubase 10.5. Oh yeah, the song played fine in Cubase 10.0. Of course, that's the last Cubase version that was reliable and stable for me. I've said it before and I will repeat myself ad infinitum - something is inherently wrong with Cubase 10.5 and it never gets really fixed with the updates, just smoothed over for a bit like a bandage on a broken arm. The arm is still broken, just like this version.
Regards,

Ted "Theo" Perlman
Producer-Guitarist-Arranger-Theologian
Nuendo 10.3 / Cubase 10.0.60 / Wavelab 9.5
Macbook Pro i7 2017 Quadcore 2.7 16gb ram, OSX Catalina 10.15.6
misterperlman@gmail.com
http://www.facebook.com/ted.perlman

Trist

Re: Cubase 10.5 Still Has A Memory Leak

Post by Trist »

Yes I agree with you. I even get more spikes when soloing an instrument which stops the song, than when playing the whole song. Turning off “suspend Vst3” is not a solution. I am very disappointed with this program in its current form. Even Cubase “tool tips/options” within their preference windows etc are written in yellow on a white background, which is unreadable.In effect I feel I have wasted the last 6 months or so messing around trying to fix problems.
MacBook Pro late 2013, Mojave 10.14.6 ,Cubase 10.5.20, Wavelab 10.030 UAD Thunderbolt Apollo 16, 8 & Octo satellite
CC121, Houston 6 other sequencers..

cubace

Post by cubace »

Partly apple is part of the problem. They have removed stable interfaces for applications, and they also have stated that they prioritize stability over performance. It effects audio and graphics and mostly USB and they are enforcing vendors to comply.

Ted Perlman

Post by Ted Perlman »

Trist wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 1:32 pm
Yes I agree with you...Even Cubase “tool tips/options” within their preference windows etc are written in yellow on a white background, which is unreadable.
Ahh, you’ve touched on another problem I’ve encountered in Cubase 10.5 that nobody seems to mention- you can’t read certain dialogue text. In the notepad view, the cursor is invisible if you are using the “dark” mode in the OS. If I switch back to “light” mode, other text becomes invisible. Really?? Like I mentioned, I go back to Nuendo 10 or Cubase 10 and none of these problems occur.
Regards,

Ted "Theo" Perlman
misterperlman@gmail.com

eightyeightkeys

Post by eightyeightkeys »

Yep..just had the spike today. Cubase 10.5.12 going along fine and dandy and then out of nowhere sputters/stutters/chokes and will not play with a corresponding CPU overload. Then, just as strangely, it will "release" from the CPU choke hold, but, then again into overload.
eightyeightkeys
Asus G752 VW-DH71, i76700HQ, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 2 SSD's, Windows 10 Home

Ted Perlman

Post by Ted Perlman »

Yes. Exactly. That’s what happens here too. I am serious, there is something inherently wrong with 10.5, and it’s been there from the initial release. All the updates do is make it a little better for a little while, but the disease never really goes away. Throw this version out and make 11 a straight successor to 10.0, with nothing of 10.5 included. I am terrified that Nuendo 10.5 will have all the bugs of Cubase 10.5. I am running Nuendo 10.2.20 now, and like Cubase 10.0 it runs great. No leaks.
Regards,

Ted "Theo" Perlman
misterperlman@gmail.com

ulesto

Post by ulesto »

eightyeightkeys wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 11:31 pm
Yep..just had the spike today. Cubase 10.5.12 going along fine and dandy and then out of nowhere sputters/stutters/chokes and will not play with a corresponding CPU overload..
+1

Been doing some tutorials. One synth, one track, no midi. Performance meters at around 25%. After a while Cubase starts spiking away even while I'm in Safari watching a video.

Edit: To be clearer, it's not constant overload. It's just one shot spikes that trip the red indicator light and sometimes trigger the warning dialog. When I look, the performance meters are still at around 25%.
Last edited by ulesto on Wed May 06, 2020 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mac Pro, OSX 10.14.6, MR816CSX, Cubase Pro 10.5, Wavelab Pro 10, Halion 6, Halion Sonic, HSO, Waves, UAD...

Ted Perlman

Post by Ted Perlman »

🙁🙁🙁🙁
Regards,

Ted "Theo" Perlman
misterperlman@gmail.com

MartinT

Post by MartinT »

I have to agree with you that this is one on my biggest issues with Cubase. The memory leak is a constant headache for me when working on multiple tracks. After about 5 project opens (and closes) the memory is full. The only way to claim it back is to restart Cubase. Then I’m good to go for another hour of glitch free

Please please find a solution steinberg.

Ted Perlman

Post by Ted Perlman »

The program “Clean my Mac” helps too. (We have to buy a program in order to successfully run a program!!)

Going back to Cubase 10.0.60 solves the problem too.
Regards,

Ted "Theo" Perlman
misterperlman@gmail.com

Milkman76

Post by Milkman76 »

I would wager this isnt a memory leak unless you confirm with 3rd party tools. What you describe sounds exactly like the hyperthreading issue that plagues so many people/platforms, Mac and Win.

I may have mentioned this in front of some of you before, but my threads always get derailed by several arrogant users who mock the issue and try to obfuscate it -- have you tried disabling all virtual cores on your CPU via your BIOS? Turn them all off and make sure everything is stock (voltages, freqs, latency values, etc), and then try cubase again using the same projects that are giving you spikes eventually. What you describe sounds *EXACTLY* like what I dealt with for a couple months until figuring it out. Steinberg is not being forthcoming or helpful about this at all.
Pinned post:
Steinberg wants you to know that hyperthreading(virtual cores) in cubase does not work on a variety of hardware platforms, but also does not want to lose any revenue, so is hiding and obfuscating the issue on their forums and allowing pro-brand accounts to create arguments and fighting between angry customers and themselves. TURN OFF hyperthreading, and your ASIO realtime spikes usually go away.

KHS

Post by KHS »

Agree with Milkman76, this isn't a memory leak but more likely the cpu spike issue on Mac.
Cubase Pro 10.0.60 - Audient ID22 - Adam A7X - Adam Sub 7 - Windows 10 Latest build - I7-7700K@4,5GHz - Gigabyte GTX1070 Xtreme Gaming - 16GB RAM - Gigabyte Gaming 5 Z270 mobo - Corsair MP510 960 GB - Corsair MP510 1920 GB - Samsung 840 EVO 240 GB - Crucial MX300 525 GB.

thebabegrand

Post by thebabegrand »

Cubase 10.5 update should have been free 🤷‍♂️
Cubase 10.5, Focusrite 18i20 (3rd Gen)
Windows 10 Home, i7-8700K, 32GB RAM, EVO 860, nVidia 1080ti

Ted Perlman

Post by Ted Perlman »

Milkman76 wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:25 pm
What you describe sounds exactly like the hyperthreading issue that plagues so many people/platforms, Mac and Win

I didn't know we could adjust anything to do with hyper threading on a Mac. I knew how to disable that in the bios on a PC - how do you disable it on a Mac? Do I want to disable it? Will it affect my other programs? What does hyper threading do?

Soooo many questions. Thanks for helping.
Regards,

Ted "Theo" Perlman
misterperlman@gmail.com

Milkman76

Post by Milkman76 »

Ted Perlman wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:45 pm
Milkman76 wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:25 pm
What you describe sounds exactly like the hyperthreading issue that plagues so many people/platforms, Mac and Win

I didn't know we could adjust anything to do with hyper threading on a Mac. I knew how to disable that in the bios on a PC - how do you disable it on a Mac? Do I want to disable it? Will it affect my other programs? What does hyper threading do?

Soooo many questions. Thanks for helping.
Sadly I do not have a mac in my possession right now to test along with you, and am all windows and linux at home. I have actually never needed to turn off/on virtual cores on a mac, even when I supported them in a mixed environment at the office, so I genuinely do not know how to disable HT on Mac.

This article is related to another issue, but contains instructions on how to turn off HT from the OS. I am not 100% sure this disables them physically...

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/appl ... zombieload

This feels like its related to Intel SGX and etc, which was turned on a few years ago to protect 4k/HDR media and make it exceedingly difficult to perform enclave computing.... but who knows.
Pinned post:
Steinberg wants you to know that hyperthreading(virtual cores) in cubase does not work on a variety of hardware platforms, but also does not want to lose any revenue, so is hiding and obfuscating the issue on their forums and allowing pro-brand accounts to create arguments and fighting between angry customers and themselves. TURN OFF hyperthreading, and your ASIO realtime spikes usually go away.

thebeesknees22

Post by thebeesknees22 »

Well...this thread is disappointing. I just bought 10.5 and boom... spikes like crazy. Too bad I didn't see this sooner. I'm new to Cubase so I didn't come from an upgrade. I don't think I can go down to 10 so I'm stuck. Looks like I just have to get used to recording 8 bars at a time. /sadface

Bratwurst1969

Post by Bratwurst1969 »

Spikes all over here after upgrading my I7 to an I9 and updating Cubase 5 to 10.5. Thought I would gain something with that but instead it's gotten worse...
Already did everything I could think of: turn off the suspend vst3 plugin processing, disabed hyperthreading in BIOS, activated/deactivated ASIO guard, different buffer setting etc etc.

Older projects, made with C5, seem to do better but I haven't really messed around with effects in it so it's really hard to tell. However, a project which was made with C5 but which I have adjusted a lot in 10.5 and saved with 10,5 is almost unworkable, can't even repeat a few bars with just a kick and a bass without audio dropping every few seconds....

This is really ridiculous and should be fixed by Steinberg. Already thinking about re-installing Cubase 5 or going Sonar :x
Windows 10 Pro
PC Intel I9 9900KF 3.6 GHz - 32GB (H370 Pro4 P4.10)
Cubase 10.5
RME HDSPe AIO

Ted Perlman

Post by Ted Perlman »

Sonar is not better than anything. Nothing.
Regards,

Ted "Theo" Perlman
misterperlman@gmail.com

KHS

Post by KHS »

I have found in Cubase 10.0.60 that sometimes when i open a project, i get crazy spikes. I have also found that this is caused by a midi track being record armed and as soon as i disarm the midi track, the spikes stops.
Cubase Pro 10.0.60 - Audient ID22 - Adam A7X - Adam Sub 7 - Windows 10 Latest build - I7-7700K@4,5GHz - Gigabyte GTX1070 Xtreme Gaming - 16GB RAM - Gigabyte Gaming 5 Z270 mobo - Corsair MP510 960 GB - Corsair MP510 1920 GB - Samsung 840 EVO 240 GB - Crucial MX300 525 GB.

cubace

Post by cubace »

Why do you think this issue is a memory leak?

Bratwurst1969

Post by Bratwurst1969 »

What seems to have worked for me is changing 32 bit floating to 64 bit floating; haven't had any reel spikes anymore in the last hour or so, even with multithreading and suspend vst 3 all enabled.
Windows 10 Pro
PC Intel I9 9900KF 3.6 GHz - 32GB (H370 Pro4 P4.10)
Cubase 10.5
RME HDSPe AIO

thebeesknees22

Post by thebeesknees22 »

ah i also switched to 64bit, but I saw no change. I was still spiking with just 1 vst and 1 audio track with helix native active. The issue seems fairly random for me. I can have one project that works ok-ish from start to finish. Then if I start a new project I can get spikes immediately.

Since it is so random Steinberg may not know what's causing the issue. If they can't recreate the problem on their end then it'll be hard for them to debug.

Return to “Issues”