CPU OVERLOAD IN SMALL PROJECTS SINCE UPDATING TO 10.5

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 10, Cubase Artist 10 and Cubase Elements 10 here.
nikhollis

CPU OVERLOAD IN SMALL PROJECTS SINCE UPDATING TO 10.5

Post by nikhollis »

Sorry if this has been covered, but is anyone having CPU crashes/issues on projects in 10.5 that are considerably smaller than ones you have used in previous versions? I have a pretty damn good system, Windows 10, 32gb RAM, i7 processor, never had problems before unless using LOADS of plug-ins....and now a fairly basic project keeps stopping and starting, with the performance meter hitting peak...at random times.......I've read that doing a clean install of a new version can illiminate these kind of problems, but does that mean uninstalling everything, downloading agin and setting-up again? And will that lose my presets/preferences?? Help appreciated.
Cubase 11 Pro on Windows 10. Focusrite Clarett 4pre, i7-6700, Asus-Z170A, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD (OS), 2TB SSD (Samples), 256GB SSD (Projects), 1TB HD (Back-Ups etc.), Slate Everything Bundle, Waves HORIZON Bundle + extra Waves plug-ins (Abbey Road/API/SSL/PUIG.......) Steinberg Absolute 3 collection, Komplete Ultimate Collectors 11, IK Multimedia Studio max 2, Spitfire Solo Strings, Soundtoys Bundle, SuperiorDrummer 3..........Neumann TLM-49, SE Electronics Z3300a mics. 3 helpful cats.

R0bw3ll

Re: CPU OVERLOAD IN SMALL PROJECTS SINCE UPDATING TO 10.5

Post by R0bw3ll »

Lot's of people including me are having weird CPU/ASIO spikes with 10.5. I went back to 10.0.50.
10.5 would spike without any obvious reason in a simple project with five tracks and only two stock cubase plugins... (Intel I9 OC 9900K...)

I was also experiencing weird audio buffer glitches (remains of reverbs lingering from previous playback in the beginning of the track when pressing play again, duplicates of Roomworks presets and crashes when dragging wav to Padshop 2.

Stay away from 10.5. It's buggy as hell.
Last edited by R0bw3ll on Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (x64) Build 18363.592, Intel 9900K @ 4.8 GHz, ASUS TUF Z390-PLUS GAMING (WI-FI), 32 GB @ 3200 MHz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 2 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB, Cubase Pro v10.5

Mauri

Post by Mauri »

I thought I had it sorted by changing from 32bit Processing Precision to 64 but noooo, getting YUUGE(!) ASIO spikes even when Cubase is just 'idling', no audio running.
Cubase Pro 10.5 x64 with jBridge | WaveLab Elements 10 | i7 5930K @ 4.6GHz (stable) | ASUS X99 Pro | 32GB RAM | | W10 x64 Dual Boot on 2 SSDs plus 3 SSDs for samples and project/audio files | Fractal Design Define R5 case | Noctua NH-D15 | AMD Radeon RX 580 | Vox ToneLab SE | Mackie HR624 MKII | 2 x UAD2 Solo PCIe | RME HDSPe AIO | 2 x 24" LED monitors...

nikhollis

Post by nikhollis »

R0bw3ll wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:46 am

Stay way from 10.5. It's buggy as hell.
Well I guess I'm glad it's not just me or my system. Do you/we/Steinberg think 10.5.1 is likely to sort this? This cost me money, and all.......
Cubase 11 Pro on Windows 10. Focusrite Clarett 4pre, i7-6700, Asus-Z170A, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD (OS), 2TB SSD (Samples), 256GB SSD (Projects), 1TB HD (Back-Ups etc.), Slate Everything Bundle, Waves HORIZON Bundle + extra Waves plug-ins (Abbey Road/API/SSL/PUIG.......) Steinberg Absolute 3 collection, Komplete Ultimate Collectors 11, IK Multimedia Studio max 2, Spitfire Solo Strings, Soundtoys Bundle, SuperiorDrummer 3..........Neumann TLM-49, SE Electronics Z3300a mics. 3 helpful cats.

rgneilson

Post by rgneilson »

Sadly I'm running into the same issue on a Macbook Pro with 2.6 GHz Intel Core i5 & 8GB of RAM.

Same project of roughly 20 tracks unusable in 10.5 and runs cleanly in 10.

nikhollis

Post by nikhollis »

rgneilson wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:06 pm
Sadly I'm running into the same issue on a Macbook Pro with 2.6 GHz Intel Core i5 & 8GB of RAM.

Like I say, glad it isn't just me. But, pretty poor show....should I expect this to be sorted?

Should I revert back to using 10 even though I paid out for 10.5?

Anyone have ideas for a solution?? Or any reason why this problem might be occuring??

x-pander

Post by x-pander »

Just wait for the bug fixes. I thought most people learned last year to not buy a new update right away. 10 was unusable for about 4 months here.

nikhollis

Post by nikhollis »

x-pander wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:48 pm
Just wait for the bug fixes. I thought most people learned last year to not buy a new update right away. 10 was unusable for about 4 months here.
Had no problems updating to 10. Nor 9.5, nor 9........... Is CPU overusage a bug? Just seems a bit lame to release something not tried and tested. No word from Steinberg either.....

Diego72

Post by Diego72 »

Unfortunately I have to admit to have the same issue... small project (or even only the template) and spikes and glitches here and there... please Steinberg do your job since we have paid for this upgrade and I don’t want go back. Thanks

mart

Post by mart »

Diego72 wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:10 pm
Unfortunately I have to admit to have the same issue... small project (or even only the template) and spikes and glitches here and there... please Steinberg do your job since we have paid for this upgrade and I don’t want go back. Thanks
Same problem. I attributed a partial fix to removing Slate VMR plugins from their inserts and reinstantiating them
Windows 10 Build 1909 , Gigabyte x58 Soc FORCE, 16gb Ddr4 RAM, Intel 5930x, Cubase 11, Dorico 3.5 UAD-2 PCIe (1 x OCTO & 2 x Quad ), Protools 12.7, Vienna Ensemble Pro 7 with 32gb Slave PC.

Diego72

Post by Diego72 »

I only use UAD and waves plugins but even if I remove the Waves I don’t get any improvement...

nikhollis

Post by nikhollis »

Bump... Opened the same project in 10, no problems at all. Very strange.

DeCube21

Post by DeCube21 »

I upgraded yesterday and found the exact same problem. I seem to have fixed it, though. I think the problem on my end was the older Slate VMR I was running. I had issues upgrading VMR a while back so rolled back to 1.662 and all had been fine in Cubase 10 Pro.

I completely uninstalled the old version (per Slate Digitals instructions) and installed the latest VMR 2.443. Not only does the new version work fine in Cubase 10.5, but it seems to have eliminated the spikes. I was getting a few every minute and I just worked for about 20 minutes with no spikes. The Audio Performance meter was also running overall lower, as well.

I also updated Slate VTM and VBC which had a small incremental update without release notes even so there is a small possibility that that helped, as well.

Bottom line is that this problem is most likely some sort of third party plugin issue so make sure all your plug-ins are current.

Would have bought 10.5 for the video export feature alone. That will save me a lot of time now that I don't have to separately run a laptop with Adobe Premiere to make demos of film cues.

Hope this helps some of you!

Cubase 10.5 Pro
64GB Ram
i7 6700
RME Fireface UFX

In_Stereo

Post by In_Stereo »

I'm not getting spikes per se, but when I solo things sometimes CPU goes through the roof inexplicably, on both small and very large projects. As soon an I un-solo everything is fine.

Also, sometimes the CPU will go through the roof on its own, then calms down after 10 seconds or so. I'm back 10.0.4 as well, but I badly want to use the features of 10.5 and need a fix for this.

I tried the Slate thing suggested here, which didn't help with the above problems I'm having.
Latest Cubase 10.5, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, i9 10920x 12-core 4.8gHz, 128 gigs RAM, AMD RX-550 , plugins galore, some hardware, a bunch of real instruments and synths, Apollo 8 TB, etc., etc., and two cats

xphen0m

Post by xphen0m »

I came here to report this very same problem. Asio spikes happening when stopping, starting playback, and also when moving midi notes when the track is record armed. For every semitone a note is moved, it'll spike each and every time. I think I'm going to go back to 10.0.5 for now which sucks because this project is using the new Multitap, which is fantastic.

This is on top of random Asio spikes.

lordadb

Post by lordadb »

Spikes here, too. There's no way to keep the system rock solid.
Cubase Pro 11 (italian) - Win 10 Pro x64 (20H2) - CPU AMD FX-8350 @ 4.42 GHz - RAM 16 GB - TC Electronic StudioKonnekt 48 (x2) - ATI Sapphire R7 250 Ultimate - Controller: Steinberg CMC-CH, Icon Qcon Pro X+XS, Novation Remote ZERO SL
My studio gears: http://lipstickstudio.maurolamanna.it/a ... -list-ita/

Grada

Post by Grada »

CPU performs significantly worse in 10.5 than in 10.
Cubase 10.5.12(Refusing to update) - Windows 10 1909 - intel i7-4790k - Asus Maximus VII Hero - RAM: 32GB - EVGA GTX 950 SC, RME HDSPe AIO

Nice Trick To Browse & Change Samples Via MediaBay viewtopic.php?f=250&t=128461 [Broken in 10.5.20]
Null Test Bug viewtopic.php?f=250&t=117331
Noise Floor Issue viewtopic.php?f=250&t=134316&p=728526#p728526

rgneilson

Post by rgneilson »

rgneilson wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:06 pm

So I thought I'd persevere. The things that cause spikes are really odd, I Only worked with a project with 4tracks of audio but essentially only 1 at a time contained audio. Simply pressing the volume key on my mac makes the processor spike but using my DAW controller was problem free...

Tony H

Post by Tony H »

+1
same here
I think I may have fixed it ...time will tell
scenario...
open a new project with a selected template I created in Cubase 10.0... cpu goes to 100%
three or four mouse clicks Cubase crashes
open a new project using a selected template native to Cubase 10.5.00
eg 16 mono + 8 stereo+ 16 mide+fx sends...
no cpu overload no crash..
my fix...
I deleted all the self made templates I created and copied from the previous Cubase I removed them complety from the HDD and renamed them all befor zipping and storing for later use should I need (hope not )
then
restart my pc
then trash all my settings ,also rename the file rampresets .(I may delete this later) for egsample" xxxxxrampresetsxxxx-trash"
remake a default song or default nix template …
working so far so good
what I will test next is
using the import tracks feature to recreate projects made in Cubase 10.
this must work because its all native Cubase 10.5 and only the audio will be imported
hope this was of help to some...
my line of thinking is there may be a new code line in the Cubase projects that might cause an incompatability with older versions … this has happened in the past therefore I think it may be the case here ..
I am not certain of this and I am in no way a programmer or expert in this field however like all of us who mix and record we are problem solvers we have to be
if any one knows why or what this is please share ..
cheers guys
T
cubasepro-10..Bfd 3. ,slate everything bundle, T-rax. etc
windows 10
core i5 4x320.
16gb ram.
Focusrite Scarlet 18i20

rgneilson

Post by rgneilson »

I tried a reinstall of 10.5 after clearing out 10 and 10.5 (perhaps not as thorough as above) and this didn't change anything.

Interesting Suggestion on compatibility. I just built a simple project from empty in 10.5 and it doesn't look to have the same challenges. A version compatibility issue would be a huge issue for me as I regularly need to work on projects that were native in 8.

WillBthr

Post by WillBthr »

The problem and cause probably varies for some updaters but for me the CPU overload was related to the VST3 option to - turn off the plug-in when no audio was present - . Unchecking this stopped the CPU overload. In my system / project, one VST3 plug-in had issues with CBase 10.5 and this VST3 option when ON: The excellent DMG Equilibrium EQ.

Within hours I received a response from DMG:
Indeed, there is an issue with that 'suspend' setting and EQuilibrium. If enabled, Cubase continually sends a call to setProcessing when playback is stopped or in silence. This call means it's about to start processing audio and we usually expect it just once before the processing starts. We use it as an opportunity to setup the EQ. Recalculating the EQ can be costly on CPU and in this case it's happening constantly, hence the high CPU usage you are seeing.

I have added a workaround fix for this for the next update. There is a public beta release with this fix that you are welcome to use until the official update is out:

I tried the beta version and it works correctly with the VST3 option ON.
MS Windows 10 64. Nuendo 1 - 3 / Cubase 4 - 10.5, HP I7-6700k, RME UFX, Lenovo Thinkpad Workstation W540, RME UCX, Halion 6, RND 5033 & 5043, WaveLab 4-10, DMG EQ & Compression, Limitless, TAB 76m x2, Calrec PQ1061 x2, Ampex ATR-100 w/ LNP-2, Houston.

kb420

Post by kb420 »

I hate to say it, but I have now joined the club. I bought 10.5 as soon as it was released, but I didn't notice the cpu spikes until yesterday. The only way that I could get them to stop was to change the following settings:

{Studio/Studio Setup/ VST Audio System} on that page I changed the ASIO-Guard Level to "high", and changed the "Audio Priority" to "Boost". I also changed the "Disc Preload" from "2 Seconds" to "4 Seconds". My cpu reader is still abnormally high, but my Windows 10 "Task Manager" CPU %Utilization never goes above 40%. It does sort of feel as if Cubase is working abnormally hard to do some of the simplest features, and I don't know why.

nikhollis

Post by nikhollis »

After going back to 10 for a few weeks so as to finish a couple of projects I had a time limit on, I today went back to try 10.5, same problems, crashes, CPU mega-high....I read that some people thought the first update would sort it, still no sign...anyone hazard a guess as to when we should expect one? Pretty much unusable.

Mauri

Post by Mauri »

I 'm pretty sure Ed Doll (from Steinberg) said in a previous topic, regarding this issue, that they haven't been able to reproduce this problem. If that's the case I don't hold much hope for a fix, which means all those who have this issue are stuck on v.10.
What's next?
Cubase Pro 10.5 x64 with jBridge | WaveLab Elements 10 | i7 5930K @ 4.6GHz (stable) | ASUS X99 Pro | 32GB RAM | | W10 x64 Dual Boot on 2 SSDs plus 3 SSDs for samples and project/audio files | Fractal Design Define R5 case | Noctua NH-D15 | AMD Radeon RX 580 | Vox ToneLab SE | Mackie HR624 MKII | 2 x UAD2 Solo PCIe | RME HDSPe AIO | 2 x 24" LED monitors...

Steve Helstrip

Post by Steve Helstrip »

nikhollis wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:16 pm
After going back to 10 for a few weeks so as to finish a couple of projects I had a time limit on, I today went back to try 10.5, same problems, crashes, CPU mega-high....I read that some people thought the first update would sort it, still no sign...anyone hazard a guess as to when we should expect one? Pretty much unusable.
10.5.10 expected end of January. Hopefully it will fix the current disaster of a release.
Hackintosh, 8700K / 4.8GHz, 16Gb, OSX10.14.4
MacBook Pro Retina (2015), i5, 8Gb, OSX10.14.4
Cubase Pro 10
Vienna Ensemble Pro 6
UAD-2 Octo, Focusrite Clarett Thunderbolt
Cubase user since 1989!

http://www.thethrillseekers.co.uk
http://www.twitter.com/stevehelstrip
http://www.facebook.com/thrillseekersofficial

Return to “General”