VST Enabled track plays other VST tracks as well

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 10, Cubase Artist 10 and Cubase Elements 10 here.
chambermusic

VST Enabled track plays other VST tracks as well

Post by chambermusic »

I tried posting this earlier, so i'll try again. When I have one record enabled vst track, my midi keyboard is playing that track and all other vst tracks as well, rather than just playing the one thats enabled. Any help?

Nickeldome

Re: VST Enabled track plays other VST tracks as well

Post by Nickeldome »

Could be caused by several things? Maybe add a few screenshots of your Project and mixer windows.
Cubase Pro - Wavelab Pro (always latest version) Windows 10 Pro 64bit / Asus TUF Mark 1 X299 / i9-7900X (at 4.3 GHZ) / 64GB RAM / Geforce GTX 1060 6G / System drive Samsung M.2 1TB 960Pro / Kontakt drives 3 x 1TB Samsung Evo / Project/Audio/Archive drive 10TB Seagate Ironwolf - Audio interface: Roland UA-1610 / External gear: Kawai MP11 / Kurzweil PC88 / Sequential Circuits Prophet 5 / Roland JV1080 / Roland D50 / Korg 01/W / Elka EK22 – Midi controllers: Roli Seabord Rise 49, SoundQuest 8port-SE / Nektar Panorama P1 / Roland Octopad II / Akai MPD18 - Main VST's: Kontakt 6 / Padshop Pro / Spectrasonics Omnisphere 2.6, Trillian & Keyscape / Arturia V-collection / FXpansion BFD 3 / Toontrack Superior Drummer 3
All time user of Cubase since Atari V2 (around 1990)

Martin.Jirsak
Forum Elder

Post by Martin.Jirsak »

Hi,

Do you mean an Instrument track?

Make sure the other tracks don't have the Monitor enabled, please.
Martin Jirsak
How to show notes of the chord/scale only
Cubase Training

Cubase Pro (last officially supported version all the time)
macOS (last update)

chambermusic

Post by chambermusic »

Martin.Jirsak wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:50 pm
Hi,

Do you mean an Instrument track?

Make sure the other tracks don't have the Monitor enabled, please.
Yes i mean instrument track. And yes the other track is monitor enabled because i want to hear the other instrument while recording a new one.

Idk how to embedd an image but here is the link to the screen shot
https://imgur.com/KmP5m5L

chambermusic

Post by chambermusic »

Nickeldome wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:47 pm
Could be caused by several things? Maybe add a few screenshots of your Project and mixer windows.
Here is the link to the screen shot, dont know how to embed here though.
You see one track is record enable so you would assume that you can only here that instrument while playing the keyboard, but im also hearing the track above whenever i heat a note on the keyboard as well which i dont want. I just want to hear the other track while recording on the new one

KHS

Post by KHS »

Turn off monitor on your other track as already suggested.

Monitor on = You hear what you are recording.
Monitor off = You hear what has already been recorded.
Cubase Pro 10.0.60 - Steinberg UR242 - Windows 10 Latest build - I7-7700K@4,5GHz - Gigabyte GTX1070 Xtreme Gaming - 16GB RAM - Gigabyte Gaming 5 Z270 mobo - Corsair MP510 960 GB - Corsair MP510 1920 GB - Samsung 840 EVO 240 GB - Crucial MX300 525 GB.

chambermusic

Post by chambermusic »

KHS wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:47 pm
Turn off monitor on your other track as already suggested.

Monitor on = You hear what you are recording.
Monitor off = You hear what has already been recorded.
I cant hear nothing when monitor is off

KHS

Post by KHS »

Can you please post a screenshot and paint an arrow pointing to the monitor button you are using?

Basically turn off monitor on already recorded tracks to hear the normal playback and enable monitor and record on the new track you are about to record.
Cubase Pro 10.0.60 - Steinberg UR242 - Windows 10 Latest build - I7-7700K@4,5GHz - Gigabyte GTX1070 Xtreme Gaming - 16GB RAM - Gigabyte Gaming 5 Z270 mobo - Corsair MP510 960 GB - Corsair MP510 1920 GB - Samsung 840 EVO 240 GB - Crucial MX300 525 GB.

chambermusic

Post by chambermusic »

KHS wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:11 pm
Can you please post a screenshot and paint an arrow pointing to the monitor button you are using?

Basically turn off monitor on already recorded tracks to hear the normal playback and enable monitor and record on the new track you are about to record.

So when i have the track where the aarow is pointed to. I can hear it during recording on the enabled track. BUT the issue is that instead of hearing the enabled track on my keyboard, im hearing both the enabled track and the track with input monitor when ever i hit the keys. Instead of just hear tubular bells on my midi keyboard, Im hearing both tubular bells and the piano. Now if disable monitor on the piano track, I cant hear that all while recording on tubular bells

KHS

Post by KHS »

It's hard to see because your screenshot resolution is too low.
You have monitor enabled on the wrong track. Enable monitor on the track that are also record enabled and disable it on the track where the arrow is.
Again, the monitor button is to monitor a live input. Disable it to hear the normal playback of a track.

chambermusic

Post by chambermusic »

If i disable it on the track that Im not recording on, Im not able to hear that track at all. And i want to hear that track while im recording on the enabled track. What you're explaining does not solve the problem of hearing both instrument tracks playing sounds while playing the keyboard, while only one instrument track is record enabled

KHS

Post by KHS »

Okay just realized that these are midi tracks and not audio tracks. With audio tracks it works like I described above.
Could you try go to Edit --> Preferences --> Midi and tell me if "Midi Thru Active" Is enabled or disabled?

chambermusic

Post by chambermusic »

Midi Thru is Active is Enabled

KHS

Post by KHS »

I also see that these are instrument tracks, not sure how they are working exactly as im always using midi tracks with rack instruments and with those the monitor button doesn't need to be enabled to hear playback.
However, and there may be a better way that i don't know about, you could just select the already recorded track and in the track inspector to the left just change the input to not connected.
I think this is the only way when using Track instruments instead of rack instruments with midi tracks.

chambermusic

Post by chambermusic »

KHS wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:35 pm
I also see that these are instrument tracks, not sure how they are working exactly as im always using midi tracks with rack instruments and with those the monitor button doesn't need to be enabled to hear playback.
However, and there may be a better way that i don't know about, you could just select the already recorded track and in the track inspector to the left just change the input to not connected.
I think this is the only way when using Track instruments instead of rack instruments with midi tracks.
Yea that seems to be the only way. Kinda an inconvenient workflow, but i guess i'll have to make it work somehow

planarchist

Post by planarchist »

chambermusic wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:13 pm

Yea that seems to be the only way. Kinda an inconvenient workflow, but i guess i'll have to make it work somehow
This inconvenient workflow shouldn't be necessary.
Something is very wrong if you can't hear a track playing back when monitor is disabled. Really hard to tell without a decent sized screen grab of your settings though.
Nic

Cubase Pro 10.5, Abs.Collec.3, i7 4770K 3.5GHz, 32 Gig RAM, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, RME Digiface, Behringer ADA8200, S'berg Midex 8.
Cubase Pro 10.5. Abs.Collec.3, i7 920 2.67Ghz , 24Gig RAM, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit , Steinberg CI2+.

Cubase Elements 9.40 on Windows 10 Laptop, i7-2760QM 8Gig RAM, Sonic Port VX.
Cubasis 2.5 iPad Mini 4 64GB

My Cubase recorded songs here (also on most other streaming services).... https://open.spotify.com/artist/6rHmZY1IPskvtYL1Zzw6Vy

KHS

Post by KHS »

planarchist wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:38 pm

This inconvenient workflow shouldn't be necessary.
Something is very wrong if you can't hear a track playing back when monitor is disabled. Really hard to tell without a decent sized screen grab of your settings though.
You are right actually, just tested and instrument track plays back just fine with monitor disabled.

And also for OP, could please upload screenshots with 1920x1080 resolution or higher so we can actually see what's going on.

chambermusic

Post by chambermusic »

Idk how to get the screen shot bigger in this forum but here is another link to the screen shot https://chamberphotography.smugmug.com/ ... -L2pLths/A

Martin.Jirsak
Forum Elder

Post by Martin.Jirsak »

Hi,

In this project, the GM 003 track doesn't need to have Monitor switched On to be able to play it back.
Martin Jirsak
Cubase Training

macOS (last update)

chambermusic

Post by chambermusic »

Martin.Jirsak wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:47 pm
Hi,

In this project, the GM 003 track doesn't need to have Monitor switched On to be able to play it back.
Well I cant hear anything when its switched off

KHS

Post by KHS »

Could you try to thrash your preferences.

chambermusic

Post by chambermusic »

I recent my preferences. Still the same. Even when i open up the template projects..still the same. I think Im just going to give it cause nothing seems to work. I could try to uninstall and reinstall cubase but idk if that will work

Nickeldome

Post by Nickeldome »

chambermusic wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:52 pm
Nickeldome wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:47 pm
Here is the link to the screen shot, dont know how to embed here though.
You see one track is record enable so you would assume that you can only here that instrument while playing the keyboard, but im also hearing the track above whenever i heat a note on the keyboard as well which i dont want. I just want to hear the other track while recording on the new one
Monitor should be off for instrument and midi tracks. It's basically only useful for monitoring real time signals coming into your DAW from external sources like a microphone or external synths. 'Record enabled' does the same for instrument and midi tracks within Cubase.

So, I can see you are using 2 separate instrument tracks using Halion SE? Maybe you're routing the midi output of the record enabled (GM015) track to the (GM01) instance?

If is still doesn't work I would suggest to create a new project to just to rule out any actions you might have done already? But first do this:

a. Go to Preferences > VST > Auto Monitoring and set it to 'Manual".
b. Go to Preferences > Project & MixConsole and set 'Enable Record on Selected MIDI Track'.

Save settings and follow these steps one by one as I describe below:

1. Create a new project
2. Create a new instruments track using Halion SE (HSE).
3. Open HSE on this track and select a sound on channel 1.
4. Make sure that 'record enabled' is active (should automatically be enabled once you select the track?) and play the sound. If everything went well you should hear the sound you selected?

Let's create another instrument track:

5. Repeat steps 2~4 for another new track and make sure "record enabled' is active.
6. When playing your midi keyboard you should now only hear this track with the sound you selected?
7. Record something and press stop after you're done.
8. Play it back and make sure you hear what you've recorded.

9. Select the first track you created during 2~4. You should only see 'record enabled' activated on this track!
10. Play your midi keyboard. You should only hear the sound you selected on this track?
11. Start playback.You should hear the sound you recorded on track 2 and be able to play along using the sound of track 1?
12. Record something on track 1 an press stop.
13. Now play back from the beginning and you should hear both tracks play back?

That should be it and you should be able to create as many tracks as you want?

I you still run into problems just let me know.
Cubase Pro - Wavelab Pro (always latest version) Windows 10 Pro 64bit / Asus TUF Mark 1 X299 / i9-7900X (at 4.3 GHZ) / 64GB RAM / Geforce GTX 1060 6G / System drive Samsung M.2 1TB 960Pro / Kontakt drives 3 x 1TB Samsung Evo / Project/Audio/Archive drive 10TB Seagate Ironwolf - Audio interface: Roland UA-1610 / External gear: Kawai MP11 / Kurzweil PC88 / Sequential Circuits Prophet 5 / Roland JV1080 / Roland D50 / Korg 01/W / Elka EK22 – Midi controllers: Roli Seabord Rise 49, SoundQuest 8port-SE / Nektar Panorama P1 / Roland Octopad II / Akai MPD18 - Main VST's: Kontakt 6 / Padshop Pro / Spectrasonics Omnisphere 2.6, Trillian & Keyscape / Arturia V-collection / FXpansion BFD 3 / Toontrack Superior Drummer 3

Martin.Jirsak
Forum Elder

Post by Martin.Jirsak »

Hi,
Nickeldome wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:49 am
Maybe you're routing the midi output of the record enabled (GM015) track to the (GM01) instance?
How would you do this? There are no MIDI Sends on the Instrument track.
Martin Jirsak
Cubase Training

macOS (last update)

Nickeldome

Post by Nickeldome »

Martin.Jirsak wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:52 am
Hi,
Nickeldome wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:49 am
Maybe you're routing the midi output of the record enabled (GM015) track to the (GM01) instance?
How would you do this? There are no MIDI Sends on the Instrument track.
I'm not talking about 'midi sends'? I'm talking about 'midi outputs'! As you should clearly be able to see in your own quote? If you have two separate instances of Halion SE and are troubleshooting one might get lost and confused and end up sending both instrument tracks to the same instance of Halion SE using the same midi channel? IMO this may well be be the issue at hand?

That's why I proposed to start fresh and create a completely new project and create instrument tracks from scratch.
Last edited by Nickeldome on Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:51 am, edited 6 times in total.

Return to “General”