'Minus' minor chord symbol formatting bug?

Discussions about our next-generation scoring application, Dorico.
spacebass

'Minus' minor chord symbol formatting bug?

Post by spacebass »

Hello everyone, new Dorico user here.

I noticed that the chord quality '-' symbol shows some weird behaviour.

On 'Baseline' vertical position, the minus symbol is very small and looks subscripted, see Example-1:
minus-baseline.png
Example-1
(81.36 KiB) Not downloaded yet
When setting the vertical position to 'Subscript', the symbol appears in the same height as with
'Baseline', but actually larger, see Example-2:
minus-subscript.png
Example-2
(80.28 KiB) Not downloaded yet
In the 'Appearance of minor triads' settings category, the shown preview looks how I
would normally expect it, see Example-3:
minus-symbol-preview.png
Example-3
(11.07 KiB) Not downloaded yet
The examples were created on a new empty project where I only changed the mentioned settings, everything else
left on default. I'm sure this can be corrected manually, but it does not appear as intended default behaviour.
Last edited by spacebass on Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Daniel at Steinberg

Re: 'Minus' minor chord symbol formatting bug?

Post by Daniel at Steinberg »

Welcome to the forum, spacebass. I'll have to dig into the specifics to see which characters it's pulling out when these options are changed. Please give me a bit of time to look into it – it's a very busy time for me just now so I might not be able to come back to you right away.

spacebass

Post by spacebass »

Daniel at Steinberg wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:24 pm
Welcome to the forum, spacebass. I'll have to dig into the specifics to see which characters it's pulling out when these options are changed. Please give me a bit of time to look into it – it's a very busy time for me just now so I might not be able to come back to you right away.
I can understand that, thank you for looking into it. I have some additional information that might be helpful, I tried it out with Dorico's Petaluma Music Font as well.

In the 'Baseline' setting it looks small, thin and subscripted as well, see Example-4:
petaluma-minus-baseline.png
Example-4
(72.62 KiB) Not downloaded yet
In the 'Subscript' setting it looks much bigger and thicker, and much like what I would 'Baseline' expect to look like, see Example-5:
petaluma-minus-subscript.png
Example-5
(69.08 KiB) Not downloaded yet
In the 'Superscript' setting it looks the same as with 'Subscript' (bigger than 'Baseline', that is), but superscripted, see Example-6:
petaluma-minus-superscript.png
Example-6
(70.75 KiB) Not downloaded yet

spacebass

Post by spacebass »

Update since Dorico 3 has been released in the meantime: The described behaviour persists in Dorico 3

Return to “Dorico”