Duplicate scores for solo instruments?

Discussions about our next-generation scoring application, Dorico.
aef110

Duplicate scores for solo instruments?

Post by aef110 »

May I ask why scores for a single instrument contain both a full score and a solo instrument score? These are one and the same, so as far as I can tell the solo part is merely a duplicate of the full score. It does get confusing and, to me, makes for unnecessary clicks. Shouldn't scores for a single instrument only have a single score? Is there any way to make this happen in setup? If not, can the duplicate score simply be hidden from the interface in an update? Or am I missing something?

benwiggy

Re: Duplicate scores for solo instruments?

Post by benwiggy »

It's just a product of the fact that all instruments have a Part created for them, and they also appear in the full score. It shouldn't be too much of a problem: just delete the part layout.

The part layout will of course use separate Layout Options (and Notation Options) from the score layout, so they could be different, which might be useful.
MacMini 2018, 3GHz i5, 32Gb RAM | MacBook Pro 2014, 2.2 GHz i7 | Garritan Personal Orchestra 5
Ancient Groove Music

gills

Post by gills »

Is there any reason to utilize one or the other in a solo instrument project? eg. Are there differences in the default settings for "Full score" and "Part" layouts for various instruments (in my case, solo piano)?

Rob Tuley
Grand Senior Member

Post by Rob Tuley »

Yes, they are different. For example the default parts layout has the instrument name at the top left of the first page.

You probably don't want that for a solo piano piece, of course.

gills

Post by gills »

I noticed the part name thing, but are there more notation-specific differences that might take place in the solo Piano layout vs. the Full Score layout?

If Dorico makes better visual choices for a piano part (or any solo instrument) in the solo part layout, I imagine you could just edit the part to not include the instrument name in the corner and reap the other benefits of using the solo part.

pianoleo
Grand Senior Member

Post by pianoleo »

All layouts depend on the options that are set in Layout Options. It’s easy enough to make a score layout look like a part, or a part layout look like a score; they just have different factory defaults.
Pianist/accompanist/engraver/arranger
2019 Macbook Pro 16" 2.3gGHz 8-core i9, 32GB RAM,
2015 Macbook Pro 13" Retina 3.1GHz dual-core i7, 8GB RAM; running Sibelius Ultimate, Logic Pro X, Dorico Pro 3.5 etc.
& 2017 HP ZBook Studio G3 15.6” UHD quad-i7, 16GB RAM, Windows 10 Pro
Sibelius user since Sibelius 7 (Acorn, 1997), Ex-Sibelius user since Dorico 1.0

Return to “Dorico”