Tutorials For People Coming From Another Host

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 10, Cubase Artist 10 and Cubase Elements 10 here.
wrbones

Tutorials For People Coming From Another Host

Post by wrbones »

Hi, I just bought Cubase Pro 10 to replace Synapse Audio's Orion, which was discontinued several years ago and is struggling to keep up today. I have been using it for around 20 years, after 16 or 17 years of working with hardware before that. The problem for me is that Cubase is so completely different to Orion that I can't really get started and all the video tutorials I can find on YouTube are aimed at beginners. I really don't have time to be sitting through explanations of what ASIO or MIDI are, I need a quick, concise guide as to where everything is and how to use it. e.g. I cannot for the life of me work out a simple way to restart playback from the first bar. Also, the piano roll seems incredibly basic and I can't see how to do simple things I take for granted in Orion, like adding notes with my mouse that are the same length as the last note (which is what you'd want 95% of the time, isn't it?) or a simple way to cut notes in half. Even deleting notes seems a chore. I assume these features are there, I just need to know how to get at them.

So I am wondering if there are any good videos/tutorials that assume you know everything about music production but nothing about Cubase? Something that can get me up and running in 10 or 15 minutes, preferably, and that doesn't cost me anything (but my time). I would have thought Cubase would ship with a few sample projects but it doesn't seem to, unless they are well hidden.
NOVAkILL 4.0 : Dell G7 (Core i7, 8GB RAM, Win10) . Cubase Pro 10 . Steinberg UR44C . Roli Seaboard Block+Lightpad Block M . KeyStep
SOFT: DUNE . Hive . Thorn . TRK-01 . Aparillo . ArcSyn . Battery . Substance . Equator . Factory . Cyclop . RePro 1/5 . Synthmaster One
HARD: Elektron Analog Keys . Ultranova . MicroMonsta . Uno . Skulpt . Craft 2.0

Andre

Re: Tutorials For People Coming From Another Host

Post by Andre »

Hi, I was in the same situation coming from Logic. These videos helped me a lot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbluesCJP3Y
Gothenburg, Sweden.
iMac 3 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB ram, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
Cubase X 10.9.40, Dorico 3 with NotePerformer 3.2.0
Logic Pro X. EWQLSO Gold, Kirk Hunter Diamond Orchestra/Concert Strings 2/Concert Brass 2, etc etc...
Dutch is my native language. English 2nd, Swedish 3rd, Spanish 4th (but don't ask me to use it...)
My music and tutorials on http://www.andrevanharen.com

wrbones

Post by wrbones »

Great! That looks like it might be just the ticket. Thanks for the fast response (it took Steinberg three days to approve the post).
NOVAkILL 4.0 : Dell G7 (Core i7, 8GB RAM, Win10) . Cubase Pro 10 . Steinberg UR44C . Roli Seaboard Block+Lightpad Block M . KeyStep
SOFT: DUNE . Hive . Thorn . TRK-01 . Aparillo . ArcSyn . Battery . Substance . Equator . Factory . Cyclop . RePro 1/5 . Synthmaster One

wrbones

Post by wrbones »

His videos were very helpful but still quite excruciatingly slow for newbies. Definitely worth persevering with, though, they have given me a lot of confidence to get stuck into Cubase.

raino
Grand Senior Member

Post by raino »

wrbones wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 5:15 am
His videos were very helpful but still quite excruciatingly slow for newbies. Definitely worth persevering with, though, they have given me a lot of confidence to get stuck into Cubase.
I'm a big fan of playing instructional videos back at 1.25X or 1.5X the speed to save time. ;)
rodger

Cubase Pro 11, Win10 Home, Halion6, Groove Agent 5, WaveLab Pro 10, BFD3, GPO, Komplete Ultimate 9, Waves Gold, Misc. other

i7 4771 Haswell Processor 3.5GHz, ADK LGA1150, 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX970, RME Fireface 400, 2x UAD-2

Latest: Bawdy Politik https://rodgerraino.bandcamp.com/releases

wrbones

Post by wrbones »

Yeah, I do that but I still think it would be even faster if there wasn't so much dross. I'd much rather have a printed manual to flick through than watch a video but those days are long gone.

raino
Grand Senior Member

Post by raino »

wrbones wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 7:50 am
Yeah, I do that but I still think it would be even faster if there wasn't so much dross. I'd much rather have a printed manual to flick through than watch a video but those days are long gone.
Yeah, for most things a good manual will get you there much faster imho
rodger

Cubase Pro 11, Win10 Home, Halion6, Groove Agent 5, WaveLab Pro 10, BFD3, GPO, Komplete Ultimate 9, Waves Gold, Misc. other

i7 4771 Haswell Processor 3.5GHz, ADK LGA1150, 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX970, RME Fireface 400, 2x UAD-2

Latest: Bawdy Politik https://rodgerraino.bandcamp.com/releases

David W

Post by David W »

There is a PDF manual for Cubase 10 - though you don't get a printed copy any more.

greggybud

Post by greggybud »

For Key/Drum editing I always link Greg Ondos post about using key modifiers to get anyone up to speed.
Skip to 2:00 if you are only interested in key editing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1Gg6TA3X_Q
The latest Cubase version, Wavelab 10, Intel Core i9 7920X @ 2.90GHz Windows 10 64bit, 64 gig all SSD drives (Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050ti, 2 34" LG ultra wides and 1 28" all @2560x1080) iCon QconPro, Metagrid, 4 MidiTimePiece's = 32in/outs, UAD-2, SoundToys, NI, Waves, Arturia, and lots of hardware synthesizers most of them controlled by MidiQuest 11.

Return to “General”