PC Issues after memory upgrade

Find topics on computers, studios and music-related hardware.
X-treme

PC Issues after memory upgrade

Post by X-treme »

Hey guys, i have some issues with my pc and hope that someone can help me.
Last weekend my PC suddenly just went out during studio work. It would turn on again but only 5 beeps appeared and it would not boot. With the help of google i managed to pinpoint the issue being a ram memory bar defective. My pc had 8 gb of ram divided in 4 x 2 gb bars. all 4 bars where different manufacture and i had 3x 10600 and 1 12800 mixed :? But actually my pc ran perfectly and i never had any problems with cubase. So after this issue i decided to upgrade to 16gb ram. I now have 2 bars of 8gb 1600 mhz 12800. Since the upgrade cubase has some serious performance issues. With the 8 gb setup i only had minor dropouts when using multiple serum's in my project. But now even without serum the performance meter sometimes hits the max. I provided a short youtube vid with the issue presenting. I don't have the exact specs of the pc by hand now but it is a HP with a i7 processor. i could check all specs tomorrow :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfGhSnvAi0o

NathanBros

Re: PC Issues after memory upgrade

Post by NathanBros »

Start checking if the RAM is correctly configured at BIOS, then do a memory diagnostic to see if the new chips are okay.

https://www.howtogeek.com/260813/how-to ... -problems/
"Interested in time travel? Meet here last Thursday, 7 pm."
Checkout my instruments/effects blog: Free VST Plugins Download.

Mauri

Re: PC Issues after memory upgrade

Post by Mauri »

For reliable performance it is best practice to install a pre-matched kit of RAM sticks, and of course the type of RAM has to be supported by your motherboard.

Maybe you should contact HP support people to find out what RAM your machine needs, or perhaps google it?

Cheers.
Cubase Pro 10.5 x64 with jBridge | WaveLab Elements 10 | i7 5930K @ 4.6GHz (stable) | ASUS X99 Pro | 32GB RAM | | W10 x64 Dual Boot on 2 SSDs plus 3 SSDs for samples and project/audio files | Fractal Design Define R5 case | Noctua NH-D15 | AMD Radeon RX 580 | Vox ToneLab SE | Mackie HR624 MKII | 2 x UAD2 Solo PCIe | RME HDSPe AIO | 2 x 24" LED monitors...

Return to “Computer/Studio Hardware & Setup”