HSO Sound Instruments Set in Halion 6

Post general topics related to HALion 6 and HALion Sonic 3 here.
claudiotomasoni

HSO Sound Instruments Set in Halion 6

Post by claudiotomasoni » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:41 am

Hi all.
I have made a clean install on a new hard drive of apps and instruments, Halion 6 and HSO among other stuff.
HSO instruments are not available in Halion 6 (nor they are in SE or LE):
- when I open Halion 6, I switch from Category to Plugin Name in the Media Bay,
- for a small time I can see that HSO is listed,
- when the list is populated HSO suddenly disappears from the list (Halion 6 does not find any instruments and hides the plugin name);
- if I go to Browser, I can see HSO,
- but when I explore the Program folder, all the sounds have a no-entry symbol;
- in the Library Manager HSO is properly installed and registered.
Can anyone please help?

Not actually sure whether it's an HSO or a Halion 6 issue, but I think it's more related to Halion.

Thanks in advance!
Claudio

claudiotomasoni

Re: HSO Sound Instruments Set in Halion 6

Post by claudiotomasoni » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:59 pm

Hi all, I'd like to share the solution: the issue was related to the filesystem type.
When I reinstalled MacOS on a brand new drive, I chose case-sensitive APFS (but it could have been case-sensitive HFS+ as well). The default choice is actually a case-insensitive file system.

Switching back to a case-insensitive APFS solved the issue, but it's a quite tricky operation.
- First you have to find conflicts in file names: you can use the python tools from here https://github.com/cr/MacCaseSensitiveConversion; chances are that you have to copy-paste the content, make the file executable with a "chmod a+x casecheck.py", and correct the "python2" first string to "python".
- Naming conflicts can't be automatically solved; manual intervention is required, so hope not to find too many conflicts and, in case, consider reinstalling MacOS from scratch.
- Then backup your disk with Carbon Copy Cloner to a case-insensitive APFS or HFS+ partition on an external drive; do not use Time Machine, or it will bring back the case-sensitive APFS.
- Reboot your Mac in the external back-up disk (either setting the startup disk from the Preferences, or by pressing the option key at the startup).
- Use Disk Utility to format the Mac internal drive as case-insensitive APFS or HFS+, do not encrypt the filesystem or FileVault won't work anymore.
- Restore the backup with Carbon Copy Cloner, and when everything's done, change the startup disk back to the internal drive.
- Reboot MacOS and restore FileVault (if you were using it before).

Hope it will help anyone with the same issue.
Thanks and Best Regards.
Claudio

Return to “General”