Dedicated keyboard for macros?

Find topics on computers, studios and music-related hardware.
hodisis

Dedicated keyboard for macros?

Post by hodisis »

Hi guys, I could use your help on this one^^
I posted this on cubase 9 forum which is what I'm using but I guess it's works the same in cubase 10

I recently discovered the power of macros, I haven't made any yet, I'm still learning the essential key commands.
But I have 2 questions.

1. It's more of a "will I be able to do it?" question...
I want to be able to:
* Select multiple tracks.
* Type Macro X:
* Send all tracks selected to a new fx channel.
* Add a specific reverb plug-in.
* Automaticlly call it reverb 1/2/3/4 and so on (i'll change the name manually later).
* Load a specific preset.

* Can I do that with the range tool too?
I mean - (bounce/render??) all that is selected by the range tool to a new stereo audio track,
Automaticlly name it, and load a preset.

*I want to be able to make a macro that adds a new mono track, assign it to a specific input, automaticlly call it the name of the input, record and monitor should be toggled on. is it possible?

2. The amount of ideas are eventually, limitless, for all I know... I need to memorize 100ish key commands full of shift and alt and what not.

Can I plug an old usb keyboard and map it so every key would trigger a macro?
For example - the second I push 'E' on my second keyboard, what actually be happening is ctrl+alt+d
Which is macro x in cubase

And of course, I need my midi keyboard(lx88+) and my main keyboard to stay untouched.

Thanks!

-steve-
External Moderator

Re: Dedicated keyboard for macros?

Post by -steve- »

hodisis wrote: ↑
Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:47 pm
I posted this on cubase 9 forum which is what I'm using but I guess it's works the same in cubase 10
indeed.
I want to be able to:
* Type Macro X:
* Automaticlly call it reverb 1/2/3/4 and so on (i'll change the name manually later).
Look at it this way- if you can do it manually with commands listed in the Key Commands dialog you can do it. If the function you want to use isn't in there, then you cannot. End of story, as in Cubase Key Command Macros is just a simple way of sending these commands one after the other without pauses, or any other fancy stuff like boolean variables, etc.
2. The amount of ideas are eventually, limitless, for all I know... I need to memorize 100ish key commands full of shift and alt and what not.

For example - the second I push 'E' on my second keyboard, what actually be happening is ctrl+alt+d
Cubase does not distinguish between alpha keyboards, so no, unless that keyboard itself can be programmed- like the X-Keys keyboards.

Note that many of the assigned keystrokes appear in the corresponding menus, and if you open the key commands dialog immediately after invoking some command via a menu, that command will be selected in the KC dialog when you open it.

The main thing is to set your expectations correctly (like by posting this question! :) )
independent manufacturer rep (not a Steinberg employee)
[safe mode] [cubase manual] [score editor manual]

hodisis

Post by hodisis »

Yea I was aware of the 'two-week-marathone' of finding the right commands
and then printing stickers of what the macros are doing to paste on each command on the second keyboardπŸ˜‚πŸ€¦πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ

-steve- wrote: ↑
Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:36 pm
Cubase does not distinguish between alpha keyboards, so no
I know...windows cant tell the diffrence between which keyboard am I pressing...
Maybe there are other ways? My old smaller midi keyboard(24 keys and 4 pads)?
Maybe xbox-style joystick?...

Maybe I wasn't clear...
Is it that hard to connect a piece of plastic with buttons to a computer,
'empty' that device's buttons functions and map it in a way that each button you press, is actually pressing few things?
(Like alt+shift+f12 for example, I'm sure there's nothing on there🀣)

What I want to do is to make a macro in cubase. then set a shurtcut to that macro (what ever is available), then make 1 button from my second keyboard as that shurtcut, without changing any other device(not the main keyboard, not the 88 midi keyboard, nor anything else)

-steve-
External Moderator

Post by -steve- »

The midi keyboard would work best for this, using the Generic Remote. Once you have hooked it up and seen how it works, post with whatever question you have.

Note that the Generic Remote must be exported after you make modifications in order for those changes to be present over a quit-restart of Cubase.

raino
Grand Senior Member

Post by raino »

If you happen to own an iPad (not available on Android) you might want to take a look at Metagrid. It lets you create as many buttons as you like, which can be assigned to Key Commands, Macros, Logical Editor presets, etc. Initial learning curve might be a bit steep if you are just getting your bearings on using macros, but very powerful.
rodger

Cubase Pro 10.5, Win10 Home, Halion6, Groove Agent 5, WaveLab Pro 10, BFD3, GPO, Komplete Ultimate 9, Waves Gold, Misc. other

i7 4771 Haswell Processor 3.5GHz, ADK LGA1150, 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX970, RME Fireface 400, 2x UAD-2

Latest: Bawdy Politik https://rodgerraino.bandcamp.com/releases

hodisis

Post by hodisis »

Steve thank you so much! I'll check the generic remote

Raino - yea before the idea of a midi keyboard/ keyboard
I thought of making an android app that will transmit the signal via wifi. But it sounds too easy, as if there's already something like this out there...

hodisis

Post by hodisis »

Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:43 pm

Note that the Generic Remote must be exported after you make modifications in order for those changes to be present over a quit-restart of Cubase.
I see that it's a well known problem.

I'll only need to export the setting right?
I dont need to import it each time, even without "save as template" for example?

Just export the setting and it will re-calibrate for every project that i'll open?

Anyways, thanks for everything,
keep up the good work!

Rommelaar

Post by Rommelaar »

You could think about using a gaming keyboard with extra macro keys which are fully programable and dedicated lightning. That's how I use it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DQ5RGOY
Rig: AMD Ryzen 3900X, Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master, Corsair LPX DDR4 128 GB RAM, Samsung 34" C34F791, Asus ROG AMD RX 5700XT, Windows 10 Pro
Audio hardware:KRK Rokit 6, Steinberg UR44 / CMC: AI, 4xFD, CH, QC, TP, PD, Waldorf Blofeld & Pulse 2, ZOOM H6, Akai MAX49, Akai MPD226
Software: Cubase Pro 10.5, Nuendo 10.3, Wavelab Pro 10 , Dorico 3.5, Spectralayers, RapidComposer v3.84
Favourite plugin developers: Fabfilter, Image Line, Spectrasonics, Steinberg, Synapse audio, Vengeance sound, Waldorf, Zynaptiq

hodisis

Post by hodisis »

Rommelaar wrote: ↑
Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:58 am
You could think about using a gaming keyboard with extra macro keys which are fully programable and dedicated lightning. That's how I use it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DQ5RGOY

if only I had the money to spend^^
If I understood correctly, I can connect my second midi keyboard and assign everything manually?(not only notes but the transpose buttons as well?)

About the macro itself.
I cant find a command that suits my needs...

I want to press a button to:
1. Add a new mono audio track
2. Assign the track with a specific input(i'll make 8 dedicated macros for each track)
3. Name the track by the name of the input.

I cant find a proper command to help me with that...
Is there any thing like this?
Or mabye I need to work around it?(like...tab ,tab , arrow down, tab enter. as a sequence of key commands inside the 2 step)

Rhino

Post by Rhino »

Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:23 pm
Maybe I wasn't clear...
Is it that hard to connect a piece of plastic with buttons to a computer,
'empty' that device's buttons functions and map it in a way that each button you press, is actually pressing few things?
(Like alt+shift+f12 for example, I'm sure there's nothing on there🀣)

What I want to do is to make a macro in cubase. then set a shurtcut to that macro (what ever is available), then make 1 button from my second keyboard as that shurtcut, without changing any other device(not the main keyboard, not the 88 midi keyboard, nor anything else)
adding to Raino's Metagrid suggestion, and -steve-'s MIDI KB one, there are several ASCII based KBs that are made specifically for this task.
You can define your own multi-key combinations in the driver "per key" (Like your alt+shift+f12 for example), which have to correspond to the KCs you assigned in Cubase for your actions & macros - it's dead easy and 100% reliable.
I use several of these in combination :
- Logitech G13 - 3 layers of G-keys + a handy joystick (e.g. for zooming)
- Logitech G11 - regular ASCII KB, with 3x 18 G-keys on the left
both share the same driver, stupidly named "Gaming Software", which has the additional advantage of application-specific profiles, so your custom keys will only work in Cubase, but for Wavelab you can have a different set.
Profile switching is automatic depending on focus.
both are discontinued, but easily available used (and built to last half a lifetime).
- in the middle you see a Cherry POS KB (no, not what you think :P , Point Of Sale) with 144 freely assignable keys.
the coloured keycaps were donated by two old editor's keyboards, but stock it comes with removable transparent caps to print out your own key labels, and there's a wide selection of compatible coloured key caps available in the usual places.
- In addition / combination with these I use AutoHotKey (AHK) to overcome Cubase's key focus problems.
- finally, the mouse has extra buttons I use for modifier keys (e.g. alt, very handy for tool switching)

a general piece of advice :
you'll soon notice that the real challenge is "brain to KB" mapping, not the "KB to Cubase" interface.
I rely heavily on colours and shapes (both physical key- and colour patterns) for memorizing, works really great for me.
If you have to check out written key labels before pressing your KC, you're doing something wrong, even the mouse might be faster then.
so my seemingly wild mix of devices actually makes perfect sense from the memorizing standpoint.

hope that gives you some ideas,
all Windows, ime, ymmv,
Rhino

(I see, Rommelaar typed faster ;) )
When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say.
(George R.R. Martin)

hodisis

Post by hodisis »

Rhino wrote: ↑
Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:44 pm

adding to Raino's Metagrid suggestion, and -steve-'s MIDI KB one, there are several ASCII based KBs that are made specifically for this task.
You can define your own multi-key combinations in the driver "per key" (Like your alt+shift+f12 for example), which have to correspond to the KCs you assigned in Cubase for your actions & macros - it's dead easy and 100% reliable.

Well first of all, thank you for all the information!
ASCII based KB then are what I'm looking for, but for now I'll use my old midi KB.

I'm going to dig into ASCII KBs when I'll have the chance.
But firstly... I have to ask,
I'll have to buy a keyboard that has a dedicated app?

There's has to be an open source driver, fit-to-all-usb-KB-solution (like asio4all for instance)
That can detect a singular KB out of many, and assign it how ever I'd like it to be. :geek:

Steve Helstrip

Post by Steve Helstrip »

Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:36 pm
Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:47 pm
indeed.
I want to be able to:
* Type Macro X:
Look at it this way- if you can do it manually with commands listed in the Key Commands dialog you can do it. If the function you want to use isn't in there, then you cannot. End of story, as in Cubase Key Command Macros is just a simple way of sending these commands one after the other without pauses, or any other fancy stuff like boolean variables, etc.

Cubase does not distinguish between alpha keyboards, so no, unless that keyboard itself can be programmed- like the X-Keys keyboards.

Note that many of the assigned keystrokes appear in the corresponding menus, and if you open the key commands dialog immediately after invoking some command via a menu, that command will be selected in the KC dialog when you open it.

The main thing is to set your expectations correctly (like by posting this question! :) )
Go check out Soundflow. It enables you to track mouse movements, clicks and other selection methods for deeper control. It also enables Macros to be set up outside of Cubase's limited set of Key Commands,
Hackintosh, 8700K / 4.8GHz, 16Gb, OSX10.14.4
MacBook Pro Retina (2015), i5, 8Gb, OSX10.14.4
Cubase Pro 10
Vienna Ensemble Pro 6
UAD-2 Octo, Focusrite Clarett Thunderbolt
Cubase user since 1989!

http://www.thethrillseekers.co.uk
http://www.twitter.com/stevehelstrip
http://www.facebook.com/thrillseekersofficial

Rhino

Post by Rhino »

Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:52 pm
I'll have to buy a keyboard that has a dedicated app?

There's has to be an open source driver, fit-to-all-usb-KB-solution (like asio4all for instance)
That can detect a singular KB out of many, and assign it how ever I'd like it to be. :geek:
nope, sorry, not that I know of.
these programmable keys are "something else" which requires a dedicated driver.
You see it best with the G11, the full set of ASCII keys works with stock windows right out of the box, the 3x18 additional keys require the driver.
but hey, mine was €12 locally, so what ?
there are dozens available in the classifieds ...
ymmv,
Rhino
When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say.
(George R.R. Martin)

-steve-
External Moderator

Post by -steve- »

Steve Helstrip wrote: ↑
Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:49 pm
Go check out Soundflow. It enables you to track mouse movements, clicks and other selection methods for deeper control. It also enables Macros to be set up outside of Cubase's limited set of Key Commands,
That looked interesting, but upon checking it out, It's Mac only, and pretty expensive, a 60 USD per year subscription at the lowest tier.

peakae
Grand Senior Member

Post by peakae »

You might want to watch this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZEoss4XIgc
Lot's of different links in the show notes.
Cubase Pro 10, Wavelab Elements 9, I7 3770K , win10x64, 16Gb Ram, RME Raydat, Steinberg MR816x, Motu 828mkII, Behringer ADA8200, Yamaha moXF6, Steinberg UR242, Yamaha THR 10, Grace Design m900, CMC TP, CMC CH.

Rhino

Post by Rhino »

peakae wrote: ↑
Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:55 pm
You might want to watch this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZEoss4XIgc
Lot's of different links in the show notes.
sorry, but are you serious ?
I honestly couldn't stand watching that poor ADHS child any longer than about half of the clip, sales pitch after sales pitch, and complexity up the wazoo - he finally lost me after about 120 credits for KB + a totally unknown converter gizmo (without any proven track record), when he quickly mentioned installing Linux and began hacking humongous ini files ...
this might be fine if you're bored to death and desperately looking for some quest to spend the next 6 months on :ugeek: , but most of us already have their hands full with Cubase and recording in general.
in comparison, that Cherry POS keyboard I mentioned costs about the same ($ 111 new), is as reliable as it gets (built for use as cash register KB, and Cherry, I mean ... come on !), and there are lots of smaller, cheaper versions.
it works straight out of the box, after install of a lightweight, unobtrusive driver.
the Logitechs can be had for a few burgers used, super solid as well ...
that is a solid foundation to base your KCs and AHK scripting on.
hopefully, one day Steinberg will eliminate the need for AHK again by repairing keyboard focus and the clunky windowing system.
and then there are the pad based software solutions for those who already have the hardware, Metagrid looks mighty cool afaics.
after a really close look I could possibly see me adding Metagrid for special tasks in the future, but (at least for me) I still think mechanical keys are faster.

all that is open for debate of course, and certainly no offense meant @ peakae,
Rhino

I'm sure there are other brands than Cherry and Logitech as well, but these are two goodies I can recommend from personal experience.
(George R.R. Martin)

raino
Grand Senior Member

Post by raino »

Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:46 am
and then there are the pad based software solutions for those who already have the hardware, Metagrid looks mighty cool afaics.
after a really close look I could possibly see me adding Metagrid for special tasks in the future, but (at least for me) I still think mechanical keys are faster.
I've been using Metagrid for about a year and there are some commands (start/stop playback, toggle cycle, go to Left locator, etc.) that are so ingrained in muscle memory that I almost always reach for the physical Keyboard for them even though there is a perfectly good Metagrid button closer. Also at first I had to force myself to use it because there is a kind of barrier to adoption - for any single task it was always easier to use known Key Commands rather than taking a moment to locate the Metagrid button for the task. Eventually it is quicker with Metagrid, but there is an initial hit.
rodger

Cubase Pro 10.5, Win10 Home, Halion6, Groove Agent 5, WaveLab Pro 10, BFD3, GPO, Komplete Ultimate 9, Waves Gold, Misc. other

i7 4771 Haswell Processor 3.5GHz, ADK LGA1150, 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX970, RME Fireface 400, 2x UAD-2

Rhino

Post by Rhino »

raino wrote: ↑
Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:47 pm
I've been using Metagrid for about a year and there are some commands (start/stop playback, toggle cycle, go to Left locator, etc.) that are so ingrained in muscle memory that I almost always reach for the physical Keyboard for them even though there is a perfectly good Metagrid button closer. Also at first I had to force myself to use it because there is a kind of barrier to adoption - for any single task it was always easier to use known Key Commands rather than taking a moment to locate the Metagrid button for the task. Eventually it is quicker with Metagrid, but there is an initial hit.
interesting !
time to watch / evaluate my personal workflow I guess, how much I rely on isolated, random commands as opposed to staying within certain "groups of commands", which could be put on a single Metagrid page.

too bad you basically have to dive in blind ...
€ 350 can be justified if it's exactly what the doctor ordered, but it's a bit much for an experiment.
especially as I would never use the iPad for anything else, I'm not into the brave new world of mobile data theft.
No internet in the studio, after initial installation it would just be a dedicated hardware controller ...

thanks, your reply was very helpful,
Rhino
(George R.R. Martin)

peakae
Grand Senior Member

Post by peakae »

Personally I am happy using a generic remote.
I have metagrid but don't use it, I find it clunky to work with.
The video link I posted was mostly for the links in the show notes of the video.
Some other possibilities are Steinberg's own remote app. And the free Bomes midi translator classic.
https://www.bome.com/products/mtclassic
Cubase Pro 10, Wavelab Elements 9, I7 3770K , win10x64, 16Gb Ram, RME Raydat, Steinberg MR816x, Motu 828mkII, Behringer ADA8200, Yamaha moXF6, Steinberg UR242, Yamaha THR 10, Grace Design m900, CMC TP, CMC CH.

Rhino

Post by Rhino »

peakae wrote: ↑
Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:56 pm
Personally I am happy using a generic remote.
I have metagrid but don't use it, I find it clunky to work with.
The video link I posted was mostly for the links in the show notes of the video.
Some other possibilities are Steinberg's own remote app. And the free Bomes midi translator classic.
https://www.bome.com/products/mtclassic
fair enough about the video link.
Google / YT scripting is banned here, if I want to watch a linked clip, I download it via 3rd party app.
so I don't usually see the description, I second the AHK links there, that is essential stuff.
I'm using AHK in a different way though, not to roll my own DIY controller KB, but to repair Cubase's key focus.

so here's a vote against Metagrid, may I ask what aspects don't work so well for you ?
is it the iPad, the inevitable organization in pages (vs always accessible physical keys), the lack of tactile feedback or something else ?
thanks,
Rhino
(George R.R. Martin)

Home Studio 87

Post by Home Studio 87 »

Or this with DTouch Multitouch software ;) :
DTouch Main Space.PNG
(747.13 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Gigabyte GA-X99P-SLI / Intel Corei7 6800k / 32 Go DDR4 / 4x SSD / Win 10 Pro x64 / UAD Apollo Twin USB / UAD2 Satellite Octo USB / UAD2 Octo PCIe / Cubase Pro 10 / VEP6 / D-Touch Cubase / Console 1 / 24 Ch X-Touch / CMC Controllers / iPad 2&3 Lemur / Komplete Kontrol S61 MK2 /

James K

Post by James K »

+1 for Metagrid. Just bought it last week and it's fantastic!
27 in - iMac 2011 , 16 Gigs RAM ,
Sierra Cubase Pro 10.5.12
98% of Steinberg Instruments
UR28M
CC121

greggybud

Post by greggybud »

Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:51 pm
No internet in the studio, after initial installation it would just be a dedicated hardware controller ...
I don't think you are forced to use wifi. There are 2 ways, either wifi or hard wire from iPad to PC via usb. I use wifi, but since I'm paranoid about loosing all my metagrid configurations that have evolved over the past year, I back up regularly from iPad to PC, and that requires hard wire...not possible via wifi.
The latest Cubase version, Wavelab 10, Intel Core i9 7920X @ 2.90GHz Windows 10 64bit, 64 gig all SSD drives (Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050ti, 2 34" LG ultra wides and 1 28" all @2560x1080) iCon QconPro, Metagrid, 4 MidiTimePiece's = 32in/outs, UAD-2, SoundToys, NI, Waves, Arturia, and lots of hardware synthesizers most of them controlled by MidiQuest 11.

Rhino

Post by Rhino »

greggybud wrote: ↑
Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:18 pm
Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:51 pm
I don't think you are forced to use wifi. There are 2 ways, either wifi or hard wire from iPad to PC via usb. I use wifi, but since I'm paranoid about loosing all my metagrid configurations that have evolved over the past year, I back up regularly from iPad to PC, and that requires hard wire...not possible via wifi.
thanks, Greg !
a friend offered me to borrow his iPad (including USB breakout cable) during summer holidays, so I'll have 3 weeks to try out Metagrid in my own ecosystem.
well worth "wasting" a license @ $15 to find out exactly how we get along ...
it's entirely possible I'll cave in then, but I want to make sure before spending € 350.
cheers,
Rhino
(George R.R. Martin)

raino
Grand Senior Member

Post by raino »

Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:45 am
thanks, Greg !
a friend offered me to borrow his iPad (including USB breakout cable) during summer holidays, so I'll have 3 weeks to try out Metagrid in my own ecosystem.
well worth "wasting" a license @ $15 to find out exactly how we get along ...
it's entirely possible I'll cave in then, but I want to make sure before spending € 350.
cheers,
Rhino
I got a used instead of new iPad which saved some money and it works great.
rodger

Return to β€œComputer/Studio Hardware & Setup”