Difficulties Upgrading Elements 9.5 to Artist 9.5

Interested in Cubase Pro 9, Cubase Artist 9 or Cubase Elements 9? Having questions regarding the update or upgrade to the latest version? Please post here!
Fin Corrigan

Difficulties Upgrading Elements 9.5 to Artist 9.5

Post by Fin Corrigan » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:17 pm

Hi All,

I have recently purchased an upgrade package from Thomann.De to get me from Elements 9.5 to Artist 9.5. The Thomann advertised pack info stated you must have AI. So I check my computer to see which version I have and the software installed is Cubase LE AI Elements 9.5 (I had upgraded the first version supplied with a Zoom R8 interface/controller/recorder in February to Elements) - Pretty comprehensive eh? I then place an order for the package and I received it on Saturday last. Well and good. On Monday I buy a new Laptop with 8G Ram, AMD 9 3.2Ghz processor and a 1TB drive (I did not believe the old one had the capability to handle Artist). All good so far. I then input the download codes to MySteinberg and download the full package. I am also sent an activation code to get it going. I then transfer my Cubase licence to the USB from the old computer - fine. I enter the activation codes and the response is that there is no upgradeable licence. But now I find that the new licence I purchased does not cover Elements but the cheaper AI version despite having taken reasonable steps to 1) take an official upgrade path and 2) use the product named Cubase Elements LE AI as the basis for my upgrade.
Today I tried to download a free copy of AI but Steinberg wont let me do it - it's message is that I already have Elements thanks very much.

I have a feeling of intense frustration at the moment that I cannot now upgrade or even can I revert back to my original Elements on my old computer because it will not work with the USB stick.

I have now spent €189 (50 for the upgrade to Elements and 139 to Artist) attempting to a product which I cannot utilise properly.
If anyone can help I'd be very grateful.

Martin.Jirsak
Forum Elder

Re: Difficulties Upgrading Elements 9.5 to Artist 9.5

Post by Martin.Jirsak » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:37 pm

Hi and welcome,

1) What license you have, you will find in the eLicenser Control Center application.
2) My guess (almost 100% sure) is, you are owner of Cubase LE. Cubase LE is bundled with Zoom hardware.

So you have to buy an update from Cubase LE.

Then you have to transfer your Soft-license to the USB-eLicenser. Then the USB-eLicenser must be plugged in, when you activate the upgrade. Then select the license from the USB-eLicenser.
Martin Jirsak
How to show notes of the chord/scale only
Cubase Training

Cubase Pro (last officially supported version all the time)
macOS (last update)

Fin Corrigan

Post by Fin Corrigan » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:36 am

Thanks Martin, I worked it out earlier thanks to Chiara at the Support Desk.
You're close but not quite there.I did get LE from Zoom but I upgraded from LE to Elements by paying the upgrade fee in February this year.
I had it working earlier and did some recordings but now the Midi Device Manager is stuck in initialising mode and it's 5:39AM and I want to cry. I've been trying to get this system to work properly but at every corner I turn there is an issue.
I'm setting up a new topic on a workaround for fixing this other bug on Midi Device Manager. I'll go through the history there.

Martin.Jirsak
Forum Elder

Post by Martin.Jirsak » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:30 am

Hi,

So do I understand you right, Cubase Artist is already activated on your system?

With the MIDI Device Manager, I would probably recommend to trash Cubase (Artist) preferences (Cubase Safe Start Mode) and start with the factory settings.
Martin Jirsak
How to show notes of the chord/scale only
Cubase Training

Cubase Pro (last officially supported version all the time)
macOS (last update)

Return to “Presales”