Cubase not use all CPU

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 9, Cubase Artist 9 and Cubase Elements 9 here.
djrossko

Cubase not use all CPU

Post by djrossko »

PIC CUBASE SET.JPG
(56.38 KiB) Not downloaded yet
PIC TASK.JPG
(110.47 KiB) Not downloaded yet
PIC Cubase.JPG
(44.81 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Hi I'm working on a project that, according to the performance meter, uses 90% of my CPUs. At the same time, my task manager shows that only 21 percent of the available resources are used. is there any reason why this is happening? is it possible to set the program to use the entire resource?

Grim
Grand Senior Member

Re: Cubase not use all CPU

Post by Grim »

The meter shows ASIO processing time, not cpu use.

To get more cpu without overloading ASIO time...Increase your buffers, use a better interface and driver, optimise the computer for audio and structure projects to avoid single core loading.

NB: You edited more info into your post while I was replying so I see your buffers are pretty high already and which interface you have.

Which Windows do you have?....maybe you're affected by the too many cores on W10 issue? Or maybe you're not spreading the load across cores very well?
i7 5820k @3.7Ghz, 16Gb, W10Pro, Cubase 9.0x, Cubase 8.5.x, Audient iD22, Zoom UAC-2, Wavelab Elements 9.x, Nektar Impact GX61

Grim
Grand Senior Member

Post by Grim »

Oh....and as you're on f/w have you installed the legacy f/w driver?
i7 5820k @3.7Ghz, 16Gb, W10Pro, Cubase 9.0x, Cubase 8.5.x, Audient iD22, Zoom UAC-2, Wavelab Elements 9.x, Nektar Impact GX61

djrossko

Post by djrossko »

i use Win 10 Cubase 9.5.30 & UAD Apollo Silver

Grim
Grand Senior Member

Post by Grim »

So you might try this:

https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-u ... CPU-setups

And you should install and activate windows legacy f/w driver.

And you can check your individual core loading in resource monitor while running your project.

MarcoE

Post by MarcoE »

Hey Grim,
I have question to your statement above:
“structure projects to avoid single core loading.”
What do you mean with this and what strategy is behind that?
Cubase Pro 10.5.20 @ Windows 10 Home v2004 @ i9-9900K 32GB @ Gigabyte Z370 HD3P

djrossko

Post by djrossko »

Thank you for your help. I tried to load different plugins and synthesizers Except Eventide Elevator. In this test, I reach a load of 65% of CPU and performance meter shows me 80% When I load only three instances of Elevate Performance meter shows me 100% and win task maneger
shows 10% Used. I really do not understand why this is happening. Is the plugin not working well? very strange. I find it hard to find information on how to install and activate windows legacy f/w driver.

-steve-
External Moderator

Post by -steve- »

independent manufacturer rep (not a Steinberg employee)
[safe mode] [cubase manual] [score editor manual]

Grim
Grand Senior Member

Post by Grim »

MarcoE wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:38 pm
Hey Grim,
Basically, a single tracks processing will use one core (or certainly seems to load one core far more than others)....so try to avoid multiple heavy cpu use plugs all on the same track (or group or the stereo out). You can always check your WIndows resource monitor to see if your load is spread evenly.

Grim
Grand Senior Member

Post by Grim »

djrossko wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:43 pm
Thank you for your help. I tried to load different plugins and synthesizers Except Eventide Elevator. In this test, I reach a load of 65% of CPU and performance meter shows me 80% When I load only three instances of Elevate Performance meter shows me 100% and win task maneger
shows 10% Used. I really do not understand why this is happening. Is the plugin not working well? very strange. I find it hard to find information on how to install and activate windows legacy f/w driver.
Elevate is a mastering limiter and is known to have very high cpu use. It's not really optimised to use multiple instances in a mix.

This is a quote from the designer
Regarding CPU, it does use a ton of CPU, just because it's a lot of processing. The best ways to reduce CPU usage are reducing the number of bands, and turning off any features you're not using.
If everything else is working OK (65% cpu to 80% ASIO is not so bad is it?) then I wouldn't worry about legacy fw driver.

vinark

Post by vinark »

Some VST's require a huge buffer setting before the asio load drops to something equal as the cpu load. So increase buffer size with your eventide loaded and see at what buffer the asio load drops (or if it does at all).

KHS

Post by KHS »

Grim wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:29 pm
You can always check your WIndows resource monitor to see if your load is spread evenly.
Actually you can't really do that. Windows will automatically rotate which core is used and it will thus seems you are using all cores. For example if a program only using 1 core and using it 100%, Windows will likely show that all cores are used at around 25% because it is rotating the load between the cores.
Cubase Pro 10.0.60 - Steinberg UR242 - Windows 10 Latest build - I7-7700K@4,5GHz - Gigabyte GTX1070 Xtreme Gaming - 16GB RAM - Gigabyte Gaming 5 Z270 mobo - Corsair MP510 960 GB - Corsair MP510 1920 GB - Samsung 840 EVO 240 GB - Crucial MX300 525 GB.

vinark

Post by vinark »

KHS wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:03 pm
Grim wrote:
You can always check your WIndows resource monitor to see if your load is spread evenly.
Actually you can't really do that. Windows will automatically rotate which core is used and it will thus seems you are using all cores. For example if a program only using 1 core and using it 100%, Windows will likely show that all cores are used at around 25% because it is rotating the load between the cores.
Not true, it will show one loaded core. Yes that core might change after a while for example after stopping and starting, but I have definitively seen one core usage!

KHS

Post by KHS »

vinark wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:25 am
KHS wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:03 pm
Grim wrote:
Not true, it will show one loaded core. Yes that core might change after a while for example after stopping and starting, but I have definitively seen one core usage!
Yes, it is true. Try using any benchmark that can bench single core performance and see for your self.
It's a pretty common knowledge that Windows does this. Not sure if this is only Windows 10 though.
Cubase Pro 10.0.60 - Steinberg UR242 - Windows 10 Latest build - I7-7700K@4,5GHz - Gigabyte GTX1070 Xtreme Gaming - 16GB RAM - Gigabyte Gaming 5 Z270 mobo - Corsair MP510 960 GB - Corsair MP510 1920 GB - Samsung 840 EVO 240 GB - Crucial MX300 525 GB.

vinark

Post by vinark »

You are right! you can force it to a core with affinity but that is not what this is about. How frustrating you can not see this in taskmngr.
Oh and it is on Win7 too

bender-offender

Post by bender-offender »

Grim wrote:
MarcoE wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:38 pm
Hey Grim,
Basically, a single tracks processing will use one core (or certainly seems to load one core far more than others)....so try to avoid multiple heavy cpu use plugs all on the same track (or group or the stereo out). You can always check your WIndows resource monitor to see if your load is spread evenly.
Would you happen to know if this is true on Macs as well? I know Logic Pro has this issue—where it will cause single core spikes if you have too many plugins (or cpu intensive plugins) on a single track. But, man, if Cubase was the same, then that would help me a lot :)
iMac Pro | Cubase 10.5 | Nuendo 10.0.20 | Mac OS Mojave | RME UFX+ | A couple PC slaves | VE Pro 7 | Purple Cape

KHS

Post by KHS »

vinark wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:09 pm
You are right! you can force it to a core with affinity but that is not what this is about. How frustrating you can not see this in taskmngr.
Oh and it is on Win7 too
To make it even worse, you also cannot really see it in others as well.
For example running Prime95 small FFT and set it to only use 1 thread. This should load only 1 core by 100% but Windows Task Manager just shows around 15-17% on all cores (In my case a 4 core/8 thread CPU)
Using something like HWmonitor will actually show a bit more precise, here you will see it switches around but it is doing so fast enough that it will never reach to show 100% on a single core before Windows has rotated to next core.

Grim
Grand Senior Member

Post by Grim »

If you actually try a real world test in a project with a good spread of plugs and load a single channel or bus with your heaviest plugs until you get crackling audio you will likely see in resource monitor just as I do, some obvious spiking on a single core.

Take off those plugs and the load is more even...add the same plugs spread among other channels and the load stays more even .
So seems to me that you can get some useful info from checking this way. No?

KHS

Post by KHS »

Grim wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:31 pm
Take off those plugs and the load is more even...add the same plugs spread among other channels and the load stays more even .
So seems to me that you can get some useful info from checking this way. No?
No, just did as you suggested and as you can see there are no 100% spike on any core.
ASIO-overload.png
(316.19 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Grim
Grand Senior Member

Post by Grim »

Well here's mine. You can see it's clearly loading one core with spiking dangerously close to 100% and unsurprisingly the audio is breaking down under this load.I remove the plugs I loaded and bingo....the load look much more even and the project plays fine. I load those same plugs somewhere else and the load still stays reasonably even.

KHS

Post by KHS »

Well I'm not really sure why yours does that because what you see on my computer is how it is supposed to do and how it will do on most computers.

Grim
Grand Senior Member

Post by Grim »

KHS wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:17 am
Well I'm not really sure why yours does that because what you see on my computer is how it is supposed to do and how it will do on most computers.
I guess I've just been lucky with my last 3 or 4 computers that all did that then :lol:

Could it be that I always have core parking disabled? That's about all I can think of. :?:

KHS

Post by KHS »

Grim wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:08 am
KHS wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:17 am
I guess I've just been lucky with my last 3 or 4 computers that all did that then :lol:

Could it be that I always have core parking disabled? That's about all I can think of. :?:
Shouldn't have anything to do with core parking. Core parking is also known as the C6 sleep state and allows the system to automatically disable any core completely when not used to save power.

This discussion is quite interesting btw. and I hope we can figure out what's going on and what causes your specific Windows to not do core load roating thing.

Edit: Did some investigation and while I'm not sure exactly what settings you have changed in Windows or in the BIOS to prevent the core shifting to happen here is a few reasons to why the core shifting is actually a good thing.

Spreading one thread across all cores allows for a lower power consumption. Most processors lower their frequencies and, more importantly, voltage according to load, so a quad core, for example, will consume a lot less power and produce less heat by spreading one thread across all 4 cores rather than using one core (which would lead to the voltage increasing across ALL cores, since there's only one voltage regulator* - that's pretty ineffective).

It ensures that the thread always runs at maximum/constant speed. If the thread suddenly requests more processing power, one core could become overloaded and there will be a delay in the execution. By spreading it across cores, any sudden spike will be handled smoothly without lags and delays.

peakae
Grand Senior Member

Post by peakae »

Ehh what Grim is showing is what I see, and what I always have seen
Running a single thread Super PI benchmark should also only show One core with Full load. That core will shift, but only One core will be Maxed out.
It would not make sense that Win10 now somehow would show a average of a single thread load between cores.
I just tested to be sure that there wasn't a bug introduced that would show these wrong figures, but everything is normal here.
Spreading the load in Cubase using more tracks and therefore more threads is still a valid way of getting the most out of your computer.
Reaper is the only Daw that to my knowledge can use more threads pr. track.
Cubase Pro 10, Wavelab Elements 9, I7 3770K , win10x64, 16Gb Ram, RME Raydat, Steinberg MR816x, Motu 828mkII, Behringer ADA8200, Yamaha moXF6, Steinberg UR242, Yamaha THR 10, Grace Design m900, CMC TP, CMC CH.

KHS

Post by KHS »

peakae wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:38 pm
Ehh what Grim is showing is what I see, and what I always have seen
Running a single thread Super PI benchmark should also only show One core with Full load. That core will shift, but only One core will be Maxed out.
It would not make sense that Win10 now somehow would show a average of a single thread load between cores.
I just tested to be sure that there wasn't a bug introduced that would show these wrong figures, but everything is normal here.
Spreading the load in Cubase using more tracks and therefore more threads is still a valid way of getting the most out of your computer.
Reaper is the only Daw that to my knowledge can use more threads pr. track.
The core shift happens several times per second, so it makes sense that Task Manager only showing the average as it is not updating fast enough. Sure if you could have it to update many times a second you would see 100% core load that shifts between the cores but as it is updating too slow it is just showing an average of the load happened since last graph update. HWmonitor are actually faster than Task Manager and are showing this somewhat better, but still not quite fast enough to actually show 100% on a single core before it is shifted to next core.

I don't think any DAW including Reaper will use more than 1 thread per track. Reason being that on same track the workload is sequential and cannot be in parallel. For example the second plugin on a track needs to wait for the first plugin to finish processing before it can begin and thus there is no benefit in using another thread as it would still have to wait for the 1st plugin and cannot be processed at the same time anyway.

Return to “General”