Support does NOT Respond - Bad Intro for Sonar User

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 9, Cubase Artist 9 and Cubase Elements 9 here.
crackershaun

Support does NOT Respond - Bad Intro for Sonar User

Post by crackershaun »

I have just joined the Cubase family from Cakewalk Sonar and have been shocked how Steinberg Support does NOT respond appropriately.

I submitted a Request (#80427) 2 Months ago, which took over a Month to get incorrectly Closed with a 'wrong' answer.

I 'Re-Requested (#90569) over 2 Weeks ago, stating situation, and still have NOT had a Response. :oops:

This is really a 'bad introduction' to Cubase Support. :cry:

As a Cakewalk Sonar longtime owner, I did NOT expect this. Is this 'normal'?

Can someone from Steinberg look at my latest Request and get back to me? Please, Pleeze, PLEASE.

Martin.Jirsak
Forum Elder

Re: Support does NOT Respond - Bad Intro for Sonar User

Post by Martin.Jirsak »

Hi,

Could we help you here on the forum?
Martin Jirsak
How to show notes of the chord/scale only
Cubase Training

Cubase Pro (last officially supported version all the time)
macOS (last update)

planarchist

Post by planarchist »

As Martin has suggested, we may be able to help you here on the Forum if you tell us what the issue is. There are a lot of very experienced users of Cubase here, many who use Cubase more than anyone one on support.
Nic

Cubase Pro 10.5, Abs.Collec.3, i7 4770K 3.5GHz, 32 Gig RAM, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, RME Digiface, Behringer ADA8200, S'berg Midex 8.
Cubase Pro 10.5. Abs.Collec.3, i7 920 2.67Ghz , 24Gig RAM, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit , Steinberg CI2+.

Cubase Elements 9.40 on Windows 10 Laptop, i7-2760QM 8Gig RAM, Sonic Port VX.
Cubasis 2.5 iPad Mini 4 64GB

My Cubase recorded songs here (also on most other streaming services).... https://open.spotify.com/artist/6rHmZY1IPskvtYL1Zzw6Vy

cmbsa

Post by cmbsa »

yeah, I’m afraid thats normal support behavior. But as Martin and planachrist said, there’s lots of good people here who are glad to help! I’ve learned most things here on this forum
main: Cubase Pro 10 / win10 64 / i7-6900K / 32gb / geforce 1060, 6 GB / System on m.2 ssd 512 GB / 2TB Raid-0 HDD for Projects / several ssd for sample-lib / RME AIO PCIe /
slave: VE Pro 6 / win10 64 / i7-4790K / 32gb / several ssd

crackershaun

Post by crackershaun »

I got a 'Nothing can be Done Reply' following a PM.

My question was...

I have been trying to find out how to get a Second Licence Key for NON-Concurrent use of Cubase, so that I can have a Dongle in my Main PC and another Dongle to take to other PCs. The Licence would be for Indivual Use where ONLY 1 Licence would ever be used at any one time.

I have a massive amount of software, and 2 or 3 or more 'activations' are very much the norm in this fashion, where only 1 'activation' can be used at any time.

Effectively the Steinberg Keyb is an 'activation'.

There is a massive different between Volume Licencing of Multiple PCs and Individual Licensing a Single Individual who may use 2 or 3 PCs, but only ever 1 at a time!

crackershaun

Post by crackershaun »

I feel 'Nothing can be Done' is NOT a good reply - as virtually all vendors allow multiple activations!

Simple solution is to provide discount to a 2nd Code with a Licence Agreement that links them together as ONLY 1 can be used at any one time.

As an Ex-IT Developer I know it is possible to enhance Compter Systems - so a full solution should be easy enough too!!! :roll:

KHS

Post by KHS »

Support is correct about that. There is nothing you can do unless you buy a second license and put it on a second dongle. They will not respond to your ticket again as you already got the answer and what you are asking is not possible with the current protection scheme they are using.

You are right about your simple solution, however the way it is now is the reason that Cubase is the one and only DAW not being cracked for very long time (Since Cubase 5)
Cubase Pro 10.0.60 - Steinberg UR242 - Windows 10 Latest build - I7-7700K@4,5GHz - Gigabyte GTX1070 Xtreme Gaming - 16GB RAM - Gigabyte Gaming 5 Z270 mobo - Corsair MP510 960 GB - Corsair MP510 1920 GB - Samsung 840 EVO 240 GB - Crucial MX300 525 GB.

crackershaun

Post by crackershaun »

Having a Second Serial Code would NOT affect Cubase being cracked.

I have many eLicencer and iLok products that allow 2 or more activations, which is 'customer friendly', so having moved from Cakewalk winder why Steinberg cannot be more 'customer friendly' in the same or similar fashion.

KHS

Post by KHS »

But it will allow you to give away or sell that license. It's not a requirement to be connected to the internet when running Cubase, so there is no way to tell if both licenses are used at the same time if the computers are offline.

I'm kind of with you here about this, but this is just how it is and how Steinberg have chosen to do about their licensing policy, nothing we can do about it. There are rumors going about an alternative licensing method but no one knows how and if it will make the above possible as well as no one knows when.
Cubase Pro 10.0.60 - Steinberg UR242 - Windows 10 Latest build - I7-7700K@4,5GHz - Gigabyte GTX1070 Xtreme Gaming - 16GB RAM - Gigabyte Gaming 5 Z270 mobo - Corsair MP510 960 GB - Corsair MP510 1920 GB - Samsung 840 EVO 240 GB - Crucial MX300 525 GB.

husker

Post by husker »

As a former Sonar user as well, the lack of support should be nothing new. Sonar support was non-existent - Steinberg at least responds.

I find the Steinberg licensing and USB keys off putting as well, but I did my research prior to buying Cubase, so I knew what I was getting into. I ended up purchasing a copy of Cubase Elements (which does not require a key) to put on my second computer.

Overall, coming from Sonar, I am enjoying Cubase. There is so much information online about Cubase, such a change from Sonar.
Cubase Pro 9.5

Homebuilt PC - Gigabyte GA-170 HD3, Intel Core i7 6700k OC 4.5 GHz, Corsair Hydro H50 Cooling, 16 MB GSkills Ripjaw DDR4-2133, SanDisk Ultra II 960 Gb, NZXT-S340 Case, ASUS VE-278Q

Interfaces - Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 2nd Gen / MOTU Midi Express XT USB

Hardware - Roland FA08 / Moog Slim Phatty / Nord A1R / Maschine Mikro / Integra 7 / Prophet Rev2

svennilenni
Grand Senior Member

Post by svennilenni »

The thread-title alone is a piece of impudence IMHO

crackershaun

Post by crackershaun »

I originally asked my question on January 2nd as a Support Request - hence original title of thread.

I was dismayed at the lack of response. :oops:

Would it be a good idea if I start a new thread about a 2nd Licence?... as to me at least it is worth discusssing more, since there are avaiable solutions that could give a bit more income to Steinberg and make life easier for their Customers.

svennilenni
Grand Senior Member

Post by svennilenni »

crackershaun wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:59 pm
Would it be a good idea if I start a new thread about a 2nd Licence?...
No. There are plenty of them already.

KHS

Post by KHS »

You could start a new thread if you like, but there are already plenty of threads about this already and until Steinberg eventually decide to find a different way to license their products nothing will change.

Like I said above, it's not viable for them to do what you suggest. If for example a friend of mine wanted Cubase i could just buy the second license at a discounted price and have him pay it. Result = He got a cheap Cubase license. Only way for Steinberg to encounter that is to force always online while running Cubase, which would *quiz* of a whole bunch of users who prefer to run their DAW computer offline.

Romantique Tp
External Moderator

Post by Romantique Tp »

They're already developing alternative licensing solutions, but you'll have to wait a long time before they're finished.
Every time someone says "it must be easy to add/fix", a programmer dies.

Cubase Pro and Wavelab Pro (latest), Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, MSI Z87-G45 GAMING, i5 4690k, GeForce GTX 760, almost every Steinberg plugin and expansion, Trilian, Komplete 10, etc etc etc etc

fuzzydude

Post by fuzzydude »

The current rules on license use are clear. Shame about the length of time for support to respond.
Comps+OS: PC's (Win 10 1903) - Mac Pro (Catalina) - MacBook Pro (Moave) I Nuendo 10 | Cubase Pro 10 I Wavelab 9.5 Pro

-steve-
External Moderator

Post by -steve- »

crackershaun wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:42 pm
I have just joined the Cubase family from Cakewalk Sonar and have been shocked how Steinberg Support does NOT respond appropriately.
They get many, many requests whose answers are on the product website, or easily find-able with web search. Can you really blame them if they give priority to those what are not?

The irony of this complaint is that the previous DAW had less support, and now that they have ceased support completely, the license went from having some value to none, yet the OP is shocked by their experience here.
independent manufacturer rep (not a Steinberg employee)
[safe mode] [cubase manual] [score editor manual]

keyzs

Post by keyzs »

crackershaun wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:59 pm
... as to me at least it is worth discusssing more, since there are avaiable solutions that could give a bit more income to Steinberg and make life easier for their Customers.
Its been a really long time since coming back in here. However after reading this thread, i had to get my word in.

Instead of fooling around with the dongle and stuff, wouldnt it be more productive to get on working with and learning the ins and outs of the system instead of trying to circumvent something as critical as its legal licensing system; while at it trying all ways to "expertly" tell others how to go about doing things... guess old community habits die hard ha...

I too was a Sonar convert (CWPA to X3), was also an active member of the forum there; including technical discussions with N and R on Windows WASAPI as some others and I discovered an issue; unfortunately the usual "experts" came in and shot the whole thing to high heaven... lets leave it as that.

This forum and her members have been an invaluable help during my transition for which I am sincerely grateful. Today even with my limited knowledge, i am always happy to pay it forward; yet still being surprised by CB8 once in a while.

EDIT: Steinberg please DO NOT go the way of having to be online all the time. For many of us, our workstations are offline as we depend on them for stability in our daily works. We will not know who or when stuff is being updated suddenly and no amount of "good" updates is worth the disruption of a finely tuned system. For me at least, the dongle or a physical device is still the best proof of licencing and ownership. Thank you all.
intel i7-3770, Gigabyte Z77, AMD HD6970, Kingstons 32GB, Win7 x64, UR-44, CC-121, Cubase Pro 8.0.40 (Build 623) x64

http://illuminesymphony.ddns.net/

beerbong

Post by beerbong »

They've responded to my requests when i have submitted them.. I think only 2 maybe. Although I also heard they have laid off some workers in that department...
Win some lose some... Maybe now with extra customers FROM Sonar they can afford to hire them back?
hehe
BB - Intel Quad/RME/Nvidia Video, RME Raydat, Win10 Home
Cubase 8.5 64 bit / Cubase 9.5 / Wavelab Elements / Halion 6 / Padshop Pro

SuperG

Post by SuperG »

I agree, mentioning Sonar in the thread was a bad idea, because instead of implying that Sonar support was 'superior', (it wasn't), it paints Sonar users as heedless fools. (We aren't).
Win 10 i7-6700K, Cubase 10.5, Sonar Platinum, Absolute 4, Halion 6, Kontakt 6, Motu 896 MKIII Hybrid, Motu Ultralite MKIII Hybrid, X-Touch

crackershaun

Post by crackershaun »

If possible, I'd like to try and point this thread towards what I (maybe clumsily) originally intended. :(

That is, could Steinberg provide an optional discounted second Licence Key for those Users who were happy to purchase it because it helped their workflow when switching between computers?

This is NOT to get around Copy Protection, NOT to do with Cakewalk vs Steinberg Support, NOT to do with Sonar vs Cubase, etc etc.

Many people may have good reasons to say it does NOT apply to their needs. Fine.

What I am trying to find out is whether there are people that, like myself, would want the option.

Diversity is good. I am asking for additional choice. Where Steinberg get Some extra Profit and Customers get Extra Flexibility. :)

peakae
Grand Senior Member

Post by peakae »

What would happen, the discounted licenses would turn up on eBay a little cheaper than the regular full price.
Not that I would not mind some sort of deal that took into account the number of Steinberg products we own.
Cubase Pro 10, Wavelab Elements 9, I7 3770K , win10x64, 16Gb Ram, RME Raydat, Steinberg MR816x, Motu 828mkII, Behringer ADA8200, Yamaha moXF6, Steinberg UR242, Yamaha THR 10, Grace Design m900, CMC TP, CMC CH.

crackershaun

Post by crackershaun »

My understanding is that the Key is linked to the Account (Email Addreess and Individual) so is traceable. I understand your point, but given it would be an extra Licence for typically a serious Musician (Cubase is NOT really an impulse buy), I hope this would NOT be typical. :shock:

KHS

Post by KHS »

crackershaun wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:11 pm
My understanding is that the Key is linked to the Account (Email Addreess and Individual) so is traceable. I understand your point, but given it would be an extra Licence for typically a serious Musician (Cubase is NOT really an impulse buy), I hope this would NOT be typical. :shock:
There are always people trying to take advantage of things and try to make some extra cash. Like already said, it's no requirement to stay online so no way for Steinberg to check if the license are being used by another person.
While it is recommended to link the license to your account it is not really a requirement afaik.
As also already told in this thread, the license policy is pretty clear and easy to find BEFORE you buy a product, so it shouldn't be a surprise to you that what you are asking is not possible. Just live with it and move on to making some music instead.

greggybud

Post by greggybud »

crackershaun wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:30 am
That is, could Steinberg provide an optional discounted second Licence Key for those Users who were happy to purchase it because it helped their workflow when switching between computers?
Unlike Sonar or any other DAW, an added personal benefit of Cubase is, it hasn't been pirated in a long time. I don't like to subsidize illegal users. It's the same reason I also like UAD and their hardware. And I think it's a reason Waves is being forced to go $29. With that said, if you could figure out a fool-proof protection scheme that didn't add much to the overall cost of Cubase, I 'm sure there would be interest. So far, I haven't read of many alternatives that would continue the non-pirating streak. Can you offer any that are 100% secure on and off-line?
crackershaun wrote:
Many people may have good reasons to say it does NOT apply to their needs. Fine.
What I am trying to find out is whether there are people that, like myself, would want the option.
This could be said about most feature requests too. And considering Cubase is the most feature-rich production environment, with so many users working so many different ways, everyone wants different things. I suppose the key is to figure out the most common issues. Apparently this may be one, but based on yesterdays Steinberg on-line survey, subscription won't be for myself unless it's financially advantageous to their current annual pseudo-subscription plan which I like.

I would guess there are users who desire what you wish. I doubt anyone is objecting to your desires, but it can't infringe with existing methods, needs to be 100% fool-proof, and should not add to the overall cost of the product.
crackershaun wrote:
Diversity is good. I am asking for additional choice. Where Steinberg get Some extra Profit and Customers get Extra Flexibility. :)
Diversity with a DAW can be a double edged sword. More added features, more bugs or issues. Personally I wish more resources go toward fixing the bugs and issues that have been added in features for the last several versions. It's happening, but at a very slow pace, and some seem to be ignored permanently. So with your copy protection request, just figure out a better way while keeping what exists intact and pirate-free.
The latest Cubase version, Wavelab 10, Intel Core i9 7920X @ 2.90GHz Windows 10 64bit, 64 gig all SSD drives (Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050ti, 2 34" LG ultra wides and 1 28" all @2560x1080) iCon QconPro, Metagrid, 4 MidiTimePiece's = 32in/outs, UAD-2, SoundToys, NI, Waves, Arturia, and lots of hardware synthesizers most of them controlled by MidiQuest 11.

Return to “General”