Key-Command for simple triplets?

Discussions about our next-generation scoring application, Dorico.
AndreasB

Key-Command for simple triplets?

Post by AndreasB »

Maybe I've not seen the obvious, sorry - but - is there a shortcut which does exactly the same as a mouse-click on the triplet-symbol? (Starting a simple triplet without asking for the ratio)
The "create-tuplet-key command" always "forces" me to enter the ratio first and then confirm it with enter before I cam enter notes...
Best - Andreas
Dorico Pro 3.5 running on Macbook Pro 15' Mid 2015 with 16 GB RAM running OS X 10.14.6
German is my native language.

mipi

Re: Key-Command for simple triplets?

Post by mipi »

I guess there is not. I wish I would have one as well:)

LSalgueiro

Post by LSalgueiro »

There isn't, but since a triplet can be called upon in the popover without specifying the ratio, I feel the process is very much the same as in other software's shortcuts, personally.

AndreasB

Post by AndreasB »

LSalgueiro,

but I have to press 3 keys before I can start entering notes of a simple triplet:
After the pop-up has opened I have to enter "3" and press enter. Or do you have another, quicker way?
Would be more convenient to have to press just one key to start a simple triplet, in my opinion.
Dorico Pro 3.5 running on Macbook Pro 15' Mid 2015 with 16 GB RAM running OS X 10.14.6

gerrie

Post by gerrie »

LAE

Post by LAE »

...or you can program a macro script externally to start/stop triplet entry.
Dorico 3.5
Windows 10

pianoleo
Grand Master

Post by pianoleo »

Follow gerrie’s link - I’ve used that method myself (editing the JSON file) and it works absolutely perfectly.
Pianist/accompanist/engraver/arranger
2019 Macbook Pro 16" 2.3gGHz 8-core i9, 32GB RAM,
2015 Macbook Pro 13" Retina 3.1GHz dual-core i7, 8GB RAM; running Sibelius Ultimate, Logic Pro X, Dorico Pro 3.5 etc.
& 2017 HP ZBook Studio G3 15.6” UHD quad-i7, 16GB RAM, Windows 10 Pro
Sibelius user since Sibelius 7 (Acorn, 1997), Ex-Sibelius user since Dorico 1.0

AndreasB

Post by AndreasB »

Thank you - perfect.
Additional advice for mac users:
Don't use "Textedit" for editing the .json file because it probably messes up the code and in a worst case scenario your key commands won't work at all afterwards. (Happened to me first ;-) )
I found an app called "sublime text" that did the job and is free of charge for occasional use.

musicmaven

Post by musicmaven »

Andreas, thanks for this "heads up"! I appreciate the chance for a smooth ride during this process! Thanks for sharing.
Dorico Pro 3.5.10.1045, NotePerformer 3.3.1, Notation Express XL, Finale 1.0 through Finale 97, Sibelius 2-7.5, Notion 5.2, Composer's Mosaic, MuseScore 2, Digital Performer 5, iMac, MacBook Air, Oxygen 61, OS X High Sierra 10.13.6

k_b

Post by k_b »

AndreasB wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:34 am
Thank you - perfect.
Additional advice for mac users:
Don't use "Textedit" for editing the .json file because it probably messes up the code and in a worst case scenario your key commands won't work at all afterwards. (Happened to me first ;-) )
I found an app called "sublime text" that did the job and is free of charge for occasional use.
Andreas, I think TextEdit will be fine if you have it configured to open new files as .txt files (unformatted).
Dorico Elements 3.5.10, Dorico Pro 3.5.10.1045
PhotoScore Ultimate 2020.1.14

semibreve [whole note] - minim [half note]
crotchet [quarter note] - quaver [eighth note]
semiquaver [sixteenth note]

PaulWalmsley
Steinberg Employee

Post by PaulWalmsley »

If you are editing json files then I would strongly recommend not using a basic text editor like textedit because it's very easy to mess up the file structure, especially if you are unfamiliar with the requirements of json syntax. I'd suggest a decent editor with json modes, such as Sublime text or Visual Studio Code (available on mac too)
Architect & Developer - Steinberg London

Stefaan

Post by Stefaan »

I guess it's wise to make a copy of the .json file first, as a back-up in case something goes wrong.

I added two lines: "NoteInput.StartTupletRun?Definition=3:2" : [ "Y" ] and "NoteInput.StartTupletRun?Definition=4:3" : [ "Shift+Y" ], and both commands function perfectly. I'm happy to have found this suggestion ;-)
Stefaan Debevere
saxophonist/arranger/composer/educator
Windows 10 Pro, Sibelius Ultimate 2020.9, Dorico Pro 3.5.10

SeeWhat

Post by SeeWhat »

Coming back to this old thread....
Is this hack still valid in V2
tried to insert the magical line in the Json file to no avail
"NoteInput.StartTupletRun?Definition=3:2" : [ "y" ]
any Idea ??

EDIT: It didnt work because the "Y" was already used by drum input I guess. All is well now
Win10 pro 64; Elitebook 1050; 32gb; DoricoPro 3.5; NotePerformer 3 ;Cubase Pro 9.5. ; Cubase Elements 9.5.; 2x Stream Decks 1x SD XL; Melodyne; Amazing Slow Downer; Adam S2-A; Sibelius 2020.6 end of subscription;
My native language is french, my english SoSo...
My guitar lessons https://www.guitare-nyon.ch (french)

Bollen

Post by Bollen »

Reviving this instead of a new request: could we have a shortcut for a simple triplet or better yet have a shortcut for the triplet button? At the moment it's a nightmare of clicks to input triplet heavy music...

Rob Tuley
Grand Senior Member

Post by Rob Tuley »

Bollen wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:04 pm
At the moment it's a nightmare of clicks to input triplet heavy music...
You can input a string of tuplets after using the popover once. Just keep entering notes, and press ":" after the last tuplet.

Bollen

Post by Bollen »

Rob Tuley wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:51 pm
Bollen wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:04 pm
At the moment it's a nightmare of clicks to input triplet heavy music...
You can input a string of tuplets after using the popover once. Just keep entering notes, and press ":" after the last tuplet.
Thank you Rob, that is how I do it now. I realise that there will never be a quicker way (until we have voice command :lol: ) to input complex tuplets (and I do love how they implemented that), but I was asking for a shortcut for the already existing tuplet button i.e. for quicker input of common triplet.

Thank you anyway!

pianoleo
Grand Master

Post by pianoleo »

Bollen, as you should be able to see from this thread, it IS possible to have a simple triplet shortcut that replicated the button - I use Alt-3. You just have to hack the shortcut definitions file...
2015 Macbook Pro 13" Retina 3.1GHz dual-core i7, 8GB RAM; running Sibelius Ultimate, Logic Pro X, Dorico Pro 3.5 etc.

billscores

Post by billscores »

Thanks. I'm struggling with the same workflow issue. I've been using the Dorico trial for a couple weeks and so far, to enter a basic triplet I'm doing this: 1.) press enter 2.) move the cursor with the arrow keys to where I want to place the triplet, 3.) select the duration value of the triplet (and let me just say, so far it seems that even if a quarter note is pre-selected at this point, I still must press "6" at this point for it to 'register' as a triplet duration 4.) press semicolon 5.) type in 3:2 6.) press enter 7.) play the notes. That's a lot of keystrokes for a basic triplet and worse, the triplet function doesn't always stay sticky for the subsequent triplet (a bug?), so I have to delete the non-triplet and go through the process again. I'm not getting any faster at this and the occasional non-sticky issue isn't helping matters. I don't want reach across the screen with my mouse and click a triplet button each time I need a triplet, when everything else I need to do is under my fingers. Why can't the semi-colon popover appear with 3:2 already entered? This way the key combination "semicolon+enter" would give simple triplets. The pre-entered text of "3:2" could be instantly replaced with any new text. I'm liking everything about Dorico except for this. Seems like an easy fix to a big workflow problem for me.
billscores:
Mac mini 2018,3.2GHz core i7, 32 gigs ram - Mac OS 10.14.6
Apollo x8 thunderbolt 3 interface

pianoleo
Grand Master

Post by pianoleo »

You don’t need 3:2. Just type 3.

Stephen Taylor

Post by Stephen Taylor »

As Leo says, for triplets (and triplets only), you don't need to enter the ratio into the popover; you can simply type 3. And then triplets keep getting entered until you type shift-semicolon to cancel tuplet entry. FWIW I haven't experienced the triplets not staying sticky, as you describe.

You can also click on existing notes and convert them into tuplets; or delete a tuplet, then the notes will be converted into regular rhythms (in Sibelius, either of these operations would delete the notes).
Dorico Pro, Sibelius 7.5, Logic Pro, Max, Kyma; 2019 MacBook Pro 16"
www.stephenandrewtaylor.net

dankreider
Grand Senior Member

Post by dankreider »

The triplets don’t stay sticky if you exit note input mode, or if you use the arrow keys to navigate to a different location. Otherwise, they will be sticky.

Also, if you had selected 6 beforehand, you don’t need to press it again. The only reason you might enter a different numerical value is if you want to subdivide the tuplet that you had just created.

And lastly, not to be nitpicky, but I would just point out that your first three steps that you list are inevitable, and not a problem with the user interface. After all, you have to specify the note and the location anyways!
Dan Kreider
hymnworks.com
Dorico training: dankreider.com/dorico
Dorico 3.5.11, Windows 10

eboats

Post by eboats »

What I'd like to see is the ability to create a custom key command (in preferences) for basic triplet, so I can assign one key to it for ease. Using the popover is too many clicks, and editing json files is simply a hack.

Rob Tuley
Grand Senior Member

Post by Rob Tuley »

Billscores, presumably you are entering a lot of triplets, because just one wouldn't be a big deal however inefficient it is.

Unless the rhythm of your music is very "random", it might be a lot quicker to copy-and-paste the rhythm (or repeat it, by pressing R)and then repitch the notes, which doesn't require you take any action over the rhythm.

billscores

Post by billscores »

Enter just '3' saves two keystrokes. That's much better. Thank you. Currently I'm editing music imported into Dorico from a MIDI file and many of the triplets did not translate. Which has led me to now understand why Dorico's triplet 'sticky' function is frequently interrupted for me. Apparently, if one enters a triplet and the caret auto-advances itself onto a pre-existing note, the stickiness of the triplet function is auto-turned off. Can someone else please confirm that this is consistent behavior?
billscores:

billscores

Post by billscores »

Correction - the sticky function is turning off for me because in the music I'm currently editing, I'm creating triplets with rests in them, and I'm using the right arrow key to advance through these rests -- apparently, when I press arrow key, the triplet stickiness turns off. It was my understanding that the arrow key was the preferred method to enter rests in Dorico. Is there a different way I should be doing this with rests in triplets? For example, if a triplet starts with a rest - how can I make the rest and keep stickiness on for a subsequent triplet?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-12-21 at 5.52.35 AM.png
(5.94 KiB) Not downloaded yet
billscores:

Return to “Dorico”