Colors Limitation for customization in 9,5

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 9, Cubase Artist 9 and Cubase Elements 9 here.
pgstudio

Colors Limitation for customization in 9,5

Post by pgstudio » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:02 am

Hi guys,

Why we cannot select "Any" color for the user interface options in preferences ??
There is a range that we can select, but i'm not free to set any Hue, Saturation, Brightness I want.
For instance, I want the focus border color to be black, but I cannot select black because my lowest brightness is 51.

What's the logic behind this limitation ??

raino
Grand Senior Member

Re: Colors Limitation for customization in 9,5

Post by raino » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:51 pm

Yeah, I find this restriction pretty annoying. The range of colors available for backgrounds are all way too dark for my taste.

Your question is right - why do this in the first place?
rodger

Cubase Pro 10.5, Win10 Home, Halion6, BFD3, GPO, Komplete Ultimate 9, Waves Gold, Misc. other

i7 4771 Haswell Processor 3.5GHz, ADK LGA1150, 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX970, RME Fireface 400, 2x UAD-2

In_Stereo

Post by In_Stereo » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:27 pm

I would like to see Cubase have a fully customizable colors with the GUI individually/separately for all the main sections (including borders...and including button brightness level like they used to have!), as well as custom colors for automation lines (when you use brighter backgrounds, the automation lines sometimes nearly disappear).
Cubase 9.5, Trashcan Mac 6-core 3.7ghz, Mojave 10.14.5, AMD FirePro D300 Dual, 64 gig RAM, plugins galore, some hardware, a bunch of real instruments and synths, Apollo 8 TB, etc., etc., and two cats

raino
Grand Senior Member

Post by raino » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:07 am

Turns out you can get more flexibility in color choices. First in Color Schemes select the Custom color box. When you do this a color selector box will open that only allows you to select a limited range of colors - pick one close to what you like. Now in the Custom Colors section you can change the color of individual elements such as Project Area Background. The color selector that this opens lets you adjust the color across the entire range for Saturation & Brightness, but it does not let you adjust the Hue at all.

So it seems the process is to set the Hue in Color Schemes and set Saturation & Brightness in Custom Colors. While this doesn't let you set any element to any color, it does give a lot more possibilities.

While I'm glad to have some additional flexibility this seems an odd design choice. Kind of like putting a steering wheel in the car's trunk.
rodger

Cubase Pro 10.5, Win10 Home, Halion6, BFD3, GPO, Komplete Ultimate 9, Waves Gold, Misc. other

i7 4771 Haswell Processor 3.5GHz, ADK LGA1150, 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX970, RME Fireface 400, 2x UAD-2

Kwackman

Post by Kwackman » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:25 pm

I was really hoping this was a bug rather than a planned feature.
I don't see how there are more possibilities than before, and to my thinking, it's not flexible at all?
If I select a blue-ish theme in the "Colour Schemes" box, I'm stuck to various shades of blue.
I might be doing this wrong, but I can't see how to get a similar colour scheme that I had in V9 (Cycle was a pale red, active cycle was a purple, main background was pale blue - that type of thing).
I like some of the new features in 9.5, but this colour thing doesn't work for me at all.
I'll go back to V9 for now (nice and easy on the eyes!) and check in here to see if I'm doing something stupid and 9.5 will allow more colours!
Cubase 10 on Mac Pro 6 core

pgstudio

Post by pgstudio » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:27 pm

Kwackman wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:25 pm
I was really hoping this was a bug rather than a planned feature.
I don't see how there are more possibilities than before, and to my thinking, it's not flexible at all?
If I select a blue-ish theme in the "Colour Schemes" box, I'm stuck to various shades of blue.
I might be doing this wrong, but I can't see how to get a similar colour scheme that I had in V9 (Cycle was a pale red, active cycle was a purple, main background was pale blue - that type of thing).
I like some of the new features in 9.5, but this colour thing doesn't work for me at all.
I'll go back to V9 for now (nice and easy on the eyes!) and check in here to see if I'm doing something stupid and 9.5 will allow more colours!
Exact! It is really annoying! I still didn't find the logic behind this "feature". It doesn't make any sense to me :/

JoPo

Post by JoPo » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:36 pm

:evil: :twisted: But !! One's I choose a theme colors, let's say... purple, for all other customizable color parts "personnalzed" colors ! :lol: :lol: , I ONLY have the choice betxeen dark purple or bright purpule !!!! :shock: :shock:

How developers thought this stupid feature would please to users ??? I WANT REAL PERSONNALIZABLE COLORS !! One has EVEN less possibilities than before !! How can Steinberg be so idiot ?? They are mental defective ?? Are they affraid users use bad colors ?? Can't they let us have just a little choice ? All the gui have the same sad color, now !

:shock: :shock: :shock: I can't believe to see how much steinberg choice are at that level idiot ! Unbelievable ! :shock: :shock: :shock:

People who have sight problem are going to be very very happy !! I hardly hold back very bad words for those who decided that ! :twisted: :twisted:

And we had to pay for that !!! :evil: :twisted:

Mais je dirai quand même qu'on a à faire à une sacrée bande de connards ! Qu'on leur greffe des lunettes qui rendent malvoyant, qu'on rigole à notre tour !
____________________________________________________________________________________

> > > > > > > > > > > > Musica --> here ! < < < < < < < < < < < <
____________________________________________________________________________________

JoPo

Post by JoPo » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:55 pm

Maybe cubase 10.0 will be only in black & white ... And grey !

lordExtra

Post by lordExtra » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:37 pm

Ugh. Ugh. Ugh. Thanks for making the colours settings less flexibe, much appreciated. What a downgrade, doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

Also, the new plugin menu is such a strain to the eyes, the text is full burning white, and with that bold font totally fecks me in the head tbh. The "old style explorer" lines and boxed crosses for hierarchy indication were superb, as were the dots for visibility - these "tick marks" totally break the visual code.

Edit: forgot to mention that there's still no option to set colours between the audio and note editor separately . I simply don't get it, two entirely different data types have to share the same editor colour configuration? Who in gods name would ever come up with this?

Please note, this is a pretty good update otherwise. I don't enjoy ranting at all, the software is on a brilliant path. ( Apart the aforementioned colour thing and the right hand zone Media Bay, which has become a complete disaster in 9.5, but more on that in another thread )
HP z820, dual 6core Xeon 2643v3 3.5GHz, 64GB, AMD FirePro 5100, Samsung 850pro, UAD Octo PCIe, 2x RME Raydat, Cubase Pro 9.5.41, Windows 10 LTSB N

theRoyal1

Post by theRoyal1 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:42 pm

It's decisions like this that gets users upset...
the wasted man hours on "developing" this abhorrent way of "customization" is what our $60 upgrade partly paid for...

Meanwhile, we can't get our CMC's updated because they have no time...
Sometimes you have to just symfh.

:geek:
Custom WS: i7 3930k | Corsair H100 | Sapphire HD7950 Dual X | 64GB Patriot Viper III DDR3 1866 | MSI BigBang XPower II | 8xSamsung EVO=12TB + 2xWD4001=8TB HDD | Enermax 1200w 80+ Platinum | CM Cosmos II
Cubits : Cubase 10.5
CMC-TP | CMC-CH | CMC-PD | CMC-AI | 2xCMC-FD | CMC-QC

Main Gear: Access Virus Ti + Virus C | Maschine Studio + Jam | Korg Triton pro 76 | Novation SL MKII | Roland XV-5080 + JV-2080 | Goliath HD | Barefoot MicroMain27 Gen2 | Mackie HR824 | Yamaha AW4416 | MOTU MidiXT | Roland TR-8, TB-3, VT-3 | Seiki SE50UY04

lordExtra

Post by lordExtra » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:58 pm

I'd pay - and this is no joke - 500€ right away to get full access to all gui colours.
HP z820, dual 6core Xeon 2643v3 3.5GHz, 64GB, AMD FirePro 5100, Samsung 850pro, UAD Octo PCIe, 2x RME Raydat, Cubase Pro 9.5.41, Windows 10 LTSB N

ulesto

Post by ulesto » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:07 pm

lordExtra wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:37 pm

Also, the new plugin menu is such a strain to the eyes, the text is full burning white, and with that bold font totally fecks me in the head tbh.
Yeah, opening that was pretty jarring. Hope it was an oversight and not the new fall colour(less).
Mac Pro, OSX 10.11.6, MR816CSX, Cubase Pro 9.5, Wavelab Pro 9.5, Halion 6, Halion Sonic, HSO, Waves, UAD...

JoPo

Post by JoPo » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:30 pm

Maybe they did this to present a full customisable colors feature as a major next update ! :lol:
People from marketing could have that much stupid idea and some lobotomised by marketing users could applause ! :roll:

lordExtra

Post by lordExtra » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:46 pm

JoPo wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:55 pm
Maybe cubase 10.0 will be only in black & white ... And grey !
+1, let's do 100% white for everything, apart from the gorgeous steinberg logo obviously.

raino
Grand Senior Member

Post by raino » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:16 pm

ulesto wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:07 pm
lordExtra wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:37 pm

Also, the new plugin menu is such a strain to the eyes, the text is full burning white, and with that bold font totally fecks me in the head tbh.
Yeah, opening that was pretty jarring. Hope it was an oversight and not the new fall colour(less).
Can't be an oversight. They had to go out of their way to actively limit the choices we can make in the color picker.

Why? Why? Why? Why?
rodger

abject39

Post by abject39 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:23 pm

I personally love the new way. It prevents lots of design issues when it comes to customization and makes the entire process easier.
My vision is uncompromising: to transcend my clients dreams by mesmerizing their audience with the world's finest audio arrangements and products.

lordExtra

Post by lordExtra » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:40 pm

abject39 wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:23 pm
I personally love the new way. It prevents lots of design issues when it comes to customization and makes the entire process easier.
There's nothing to say agains ease of use, unless it comes at the expense of flexibility. This is the pro version, and thus needs more of the latter. I've fiddled with this the whole day, and since 9.5 it's absolutely impossible to get it decent looking if you're after a dark look that suits low light conditions in the studio. The approach is fully flawed, both for those who want it pretty dark and those who want it pretty bright, an absolute disaster. Everything is grey in grey, rendering the GUI less accessible. This is just so incredibly frustrating as it takes away important settings, and in the same time introduces the much needed performance optimisations. I can only hope Steinberg is going to at least revert this back, or alternatively bring back the options previously available. Same goes for plugin-menu - this is just mind bending and painful to look at. I hate paid downgrades, I really do...and the GUI is naturally extra important, because that's eventually what you get to be looking at ALL the time. Show stopper.

abject39

Post by abject39 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:15 pm

Got it dark here by just lowering the brightness. Works fine here.
My vision is uncompromising: to transcend my clients dreams by mesmerizing their audience with the world's finest audio arrangements and products.

lordExtra

Post by lordExtra » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:34 pm

OK, because I simply cannot let go off it, here's the caps. I am not saying this or that one is better for anyone, but it visualises why I prefer the 9.03 one- due to its higher contrast. It simply lets you spot things quicker, again it does it for me. Compare for yourself:

9.03 - high contrast setting :

https://ibb.co/hQtEoR

9.5 - highest possible contrast ( lowest possible GUI luminance )

https://ibb.co/hA9R2m

Everything is just one grey goo in the new version, really looking forward to the headaches.

Edit: mind the selected track...clearly sets itself apart in 9.03
Last edited by lordExtra on Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lordExtra

Post by lordExtra » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:36 pm

abject39 wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:15 pm
Got it dark here by just lowering the brightness. Works fine here.
Problem is, you cannot set the brightness lower than something around ten, plus there's GUI parameters missing that were previously available - for instance Desktop cover or whatever that was called...there's a few other ones missing, too.

JoPo

Post by JoPo » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:51 pm

abject39 wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:15 pm
What did I say ?? I was sure there is happy people !

Abject39 (what a name !), maybe you can loose yourself in too much customizable colors, nobody forces you to change apparence settings. Can't you understand that other users know how to get a nice colored interface without loosing themself ? The 9.5 is SAD ! Ugly to cry ! My 9.0 colors were so joyful !
If you like a interface with only one color and its ton shifts, it can be possible by letting users customize. The problem is when users don't have any choice.. If I want a crazy color daw, with fluorescent yellow & green ? Have a try with 9.5 !

I hope you'll never have any sight problems !
Last edited by JoPo on Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

djw

Post by djw » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:57 pm

abject39 wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:23 pm
I never could get the dark Cubases to look right until now. It does some color mixing for you.

However, I'm on board with more color options like separate key and audio editor colors.

fretthefret

Post by fretthefret » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:14 pm

They should just make a Configuration wizard that you can launch from the File menu that steps through the config applies customizations and makes it easy for everyone (and save to profile on Pro).
Cubase Pro 10.0.5, FL Studio 20, Ableton Live Suite 10, Harrison Mixbus 32c, UAD Apollo x series, UR28m, SSL, Native Instruments Komplete ultimate, NI Maschine Studio, Xfer Records Serum, Lennar Digital Sylenth1, reFx Nexus2, Reveal Sound Spire, FabFilter, Soundtoys, Lexicon PCM, Sonarworks, Slate Digital, Izotope, Brainworx, SPL, Waves, Cableguys, Cytomic, MeldaProductions, AOM, IK Multimedia, SynchroArts Revoice Pro, DDMF, Boz Digital, Antares Autotune, a bunch of other obscure stuff, TBs of samples, too much hardware to list... PC Windows 10 Pro 1803 64bit, i7-5960x (8 core), Asus x99 Deluxe ii, GeForce 1070 strix, Fractal Design Silent RL2 case, Noctua NH-d15s, 64 GB DDR4 g,Skillz Trident Z 3200 RAM, 512gb Samsung 950 m.2, 3TB segate Ironwolf NAS HDD, 4TB WDRed, 2TB WD Black, Laptop: MSI Ghost pro GS60 6QE i7-6700 Skylake Win 10 64bit, Storage: 32 TB QNAP NAS Raid 50, 12 TB QNAP RAID 1

lordExtra

Post by lordExtra » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:30 pm

The thing is pretty easy: a standard plus an additional expert mode accessible via the prefs. Just like now, but more parameters than 9.03. Using the latter, the online community will create a wealth of choices for every personal taste and, more importantly, requirement. Everything you see in a GUI can be propagated the frontend ( prefs). The infrastructure is there already, but instead of opening it up to make it more flexible, the opposite happens. I have spent at least a week to tweak the *flower* out of the available options in C9; it's been a massive pain due to its previous inflexibilities but eventually I found a viable look, one that serves my purpose, works on my screen, and doesn't annoy me after looking at it for more than a day. Days of tweaking for nothing, I just can't get this to look right anymore. What I couldn't fix for a dark theme is the more than weird inverted logics for selections being darkened (e.g. shaded regions in the sequencer). Cubase is intended to look like a candy shop and not meant to be configured towards a monochromatic, dark feel, which, and I guess I am not alone with this opinion, is not exactly an attribute to pro software. Look at Autodesk Flame 2018, which is living proof to that. Also, Avid Media Composer is beautiful, and guess what - both are NLE softwares. This assertion thus cannot be too far fetched.

Just give us all the options, and end of story. For as light as one wants and pitch black the like. No more clever "the-software-knows-better-what-looks-good"-mechanisms. Candy shop or military software, whatever supports your creativity. The former is so repelling to me, as I need to my brain to process audible information. The laser show happens on stage, not in the studio.

The 9.5 colour customisation is indeed so hideously screwed and curtailed that I am beginning to wonder if it's actually the final intended version, or if they simply didn't have time to finish this for the (early?) release, given the new graphics subsystem. Yes, the one that Steinberg representatives claimed to be totally sound in the first place and would not require a rewrite not so long ago on this forum. But that's a different story, thank god it's finally fixed now.

Has anyone ever complained about the plugin menu? Or the visibility list? Or the workflow of Media Bay, apart from it's notorious sluggishness? Not to my knowledge. So please, hands off the bits that apparently are good as is.

raino
Grand Senior Member

Post by raino » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:47 pm

lordExtra wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:30 pm
Just give us all the options, and end of story. For as light as one wants and pitch black the like. No more clever "the-software-knows-better-what-looks-good"-mechanisms.
This is key. Different folks have very different ideas about what looks best to them. But beyond that there are lots of people with a variety of vision problems. When Steinberg places limits on color choices it doesn't just affect the aesthetics it also limits the functionality.
rodger

Return to “General”