Cubase 9.5 Features in Nuendo 8 - When?

Post general topics related to Nuendo 8 here.
umfufu

Cubase 9.5 Features in Nuendo 8 - When?

Post by umfufu » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:54 pm

Cubase 9.5 looks like a great update. Bezier curves (!!), more plugin slots, metronome options, lots of workflow enhancements, etc.

When can we expect them in Nuendo?

A moderator on this thread also said that 9.5 is built on a new "graphics sub-system" that should make it snappier. If this is true then there will be a lot of Nuendo users wanting this update ASAP.

viewtopic.php?f=250&t=126283&start=25

Thanks.

Oliver.Lucas

Re: Cubase 9.5 Features in Nuendo 8 - When?

Post by Oliver.Lucas » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:22 pm

I expect to see the graphics fix VERY soon. I actually can not understand why they released N8.1 without it. Also, I think this Cubase/Nuendo feature competition should end. Nuendo should be everything a Cubase release is + post features.
Main machine: Hexacore 3.3 Cheese grater with USB3 and RME Raydat, 48GB RAM, Radeon HD 7970, Caldigit FASTA USB C, Intensity Pro, macOS 10.14
Avid ProTools S3

umfufu

Post by umfufu » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:02 pm

Agreed.
I can't imagine waiting 6 months to a year to get these features, then only to have new ones appear a few months after that. It makes no sense.
iMacPro 10 Cores, 64 Gigs Ram. High Sierra 10.13.6. CubasePro 10 and Nuendo 8 (latests). Universal Audio Interfaces.

MattiasNYC
Grand Senior Member

Post by MattiasNYC » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:43 pm

Actually the leap-frogging does make sense in a couple of ways:

1. There are two types of features; the ones specific to Nuendo, and the ones shared by both. In order to get all features obviously the new features that are shared by both have to be coded. Also, the ones specific to Nuendo. So, the question becomes why would you want to code everything and release everything at once when you could code the new features both share first, and release Cubase first, and then "add" the Nuendo-specific ones and release Nuendo.....?

2. By releasing Cubase first with those features, those features can be 'tried in the wild' and bug reports can yield fixes meaning we should get more stable upgrades on Nuendo.

------

However:

- 1 - Of course Steinberg could release Cubase and Nuendo almost at the same time with the new features the both share, and then release Nuendo ('again') with Nuendo-specific features... but they don't do that... and we also have to wonder how their development works and what the options really are.... Steinberg could also simply delay the Cubase release because we're paying a fair amount more and 'deserve' our update first. But of course Cubase users would go nuts.

- 2 - Doesn't seem to work. Big issues slip through the cracks anyway, or are part of a known cost-benefit analysis.

------

Users have said for years to fix bugs and release new features later, and here we are again asking for new features after a pretty darn buggy v8 release (that you paid for). Will "we" ever learn???
Nuendo 7.1.4 / Lynx TWO-B / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Ryzen 1700 3.7GHz (oc) / 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4@3200MHz / Nvidia GTX 660 / ASUS x370-A mobo/ 500GB WD Blue system drive / Crucial BX100 250GB SSD media / spinners for library/backup ::::: iZotope RX / Phoenixverb Surround / DaVinci Resolve / Faderport / Applied Acoustics UltraAnalog / my pet pony Frank

twelvetwelve

Post by twelvetwelve » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:52 pm

The leapfrogging makes no sense. You are also effectively developing two feature sets for what should be common features across both programs (e.g. VCAs). Do what seems to work well for everyone else and release the one main program with different feature sets being unlocked depending on the license.

umfufu

Post by umfufu » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:02 pm

MattiasNYC wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:43 pm
Users have said for years to fix bugs and release new features later, and here we are again asking for new features after a pretty darn buggy v8 release (that you paid for). Will "we" ever learn???
Yeah exactly, and we JUST got the Cubase features a few months ago... Now we need to wait what, another 8 months? It feels like punishment while we are paying way more than Cubase users.

Also, I've said this before, but at this point, Nuendo should just be "Cubase Post"; all of the features of Cubase Pro plus the extra post features. Same development and release cycle. I know some people would be upset at the perceived devaluation of the name or whatever, but it is the same program already.
iMacPro 10 Cores, 64 Gigs Ram. High Sierra 10.13.6. CubasePro 10 and Nuendo 8 (latests). Universal Audio Interfaces.

tepa

Post by tepa » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:40 pm

The Offline Processing was released first in Nuendo, and the 9.5 update is release by more than 3 weeks before it supposed to be in december. It looks like that maybe something is changing, but that's maybe means nothing.

Sure that waiting 6 months or more is a lot, let's hope that Steinberg will be able to reduce the delay schedule between the 2 product. Some very good feature in that 9.5 it looks like a nice update, can't wait :mrgreen:
Nuendo 10 (last version) / Cubase 9 / Win Pro 10 / i9-9900K 4.8 Ghz / RAM 32G / RME UFX / RME FF800 / UAD 2 (1 Octo & 1 Quad) / SSD / nVIDIA

umfufu

Post by umfufu » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:52 pm

Me too... Some official word would be great if you're reading this Steiny.

Thx!

ChrisPolus

Post by ChrisPolus » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:01 pm

Oliver.Lucas wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:22 pm
Also, I think this Cubase/Nuendo feature competition should end. Nuendo should be everything a Cubase release is + post features.
I don't understand why SB has separate code bases for Cubase and Nuendo. Both programs are available on Win and Mac. Both have mostly similar UI and layout, yet Nuendo seemlingly has different implementations for some features. I think VCA was such a story. Cubase had different VCA code and was not bitten by the long-standing VCA bug. Why would Cubase need a separate VCA implementation? I think window layout is or was separate until N8, too. Maybe that was useful at some point, but now that these programs are more and more alike in most parts and NEK is no longer, to me it only makes sense merging as much code as possible so it only has to be developed once and more resources could work on useful stuff instead of duplicating work of the other team.

Yes, Nuendo should be everything Cubase Pro + Post Features. Then we could also stop these discussions ;)
Handmade Win10 x64 Machine, Intel 6 Core CPU, ASUS Prime Board, 16GB RAM, 1080 GTX
MacBook Pro 15" Late 2016 with Touchbar, latest macOS, 16GB RAM
Latest Nuendo version, Logic Pro X, Reaper, UAD Apollo Duo + Twin MK2 via Thunderbolt

DaniDonadi

Post by DaniDonadi » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:05 pm

Oliver.Lucas wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:22 pm
I expect to see the graphics fix VERY soon. I actually can not understand why they released N8.1 without it. Also, I think this Cubase/Nuendo feature competition should end. Nuendo should be everything a Cubase release is + post features.
Completely agree, I would even go further and have ONE PRODUCT ONLY, one Regular and one "HD". Same files, same interface, same key command .... is it too radical?

D.
Dani Donadi
Composer/Producer
Donadi Media DBA Donadi Music Productions LLC
Music & Sounds for Film/TV/Video Games & Themed Attractions
WWW.DONADI.COM
Latest: Nuendo - Cubase Pro - WaveLab Pro - Dorico| MAC OS

umfufu

Post by umfufu » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:07 pm

DaniDonadi wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:05 pm
Completely agree, I would even go further and have ONE PRODUCT ONLY, one Regular and one "HD". Same files, same interface, same key command .... is it too radical?
Yup! "Cubase Pro" for music, as it is now, and "Cubase Post" for what Nuendo is now (all of Cubase Pro plus the post features), but all on the same cycle.

deneverstudio

Post by deneverstudio » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:07 pm

"Completely agree, I would even go further and have ONE PRODUCT ONLY, one Regular and one "HD". Same files, same interface, same key command .... is it too radical?"

+10

JBF

Post by JBF » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:02 pm

No it's not too radical!
These UI/Graphic differences even moved me to cubase. Strange enough in cubase are much more options for altering the appearence of events/waveforms.
More than that - While moving events in nuendo on pc you see the event on the old position and semi-transparent event on the new position at the same time. While moving the event the waveform outline dissapears. So it is impossible for me to see the peaks. You can not turn it off.
That makes music editing in nuendo unbearable for me.
Steinberg - why all these differences? It's time to consolidate
Add the post features to the cubase ( you already started with offline processing) - implement the UI differences such as red outline for selected event as an option.
+10000
Win8.1/64bit / Core i7-3930K 6*3,20 GHz /GA-X79-UP4/4*16 gb/NVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Palit > Cubase 9.0.4 Pro

umfufu

Post by umfufu » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:57 pm

Steinberg let us know!

OnBeat

Post by OnBeat » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:37 pm

The only thing I'm missing in Cubase 9.5 that Nuendo 8.1 has is the auto align function. I do mostly music and can use Cubase 98% of the time now. I too wish that a nuendo license could open cubase with all this leapfrogging going on.
Oscar Zayas
Onbeat Studios
WPB, FL

Nuendo 10, Cubase 10, Wavelab 9.5 (64 bit)
Windows 10 64 bit, Quad core Intel i7 - 67000K, 16gig ram

umfufu

Post by umfufu » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:09 am

The main thing that I would miss is "Edit Mode", where the handles and fades make the video move with them... I'm correct that Cubase doesn't have that right? I'm sure I could get use to not having this but I resent Steinberg for making me have to make that decision (and it seems insane to need to stay in Nuendo just for that feature).

At the very least a Nuendo dongle should be able to open up Cubase. If they're not going to update both programs at the same time then it seems like the least they could do.

B

Starsprinkler

Post by Starsprinkler » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:53 am

umfufu wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:09 am
The main thing that I would miss is "Edit Mode", where the handles and fades make the video move with them... I'm correct that Cubase doesn't have that right?
That is correct. But there's a Feature Request to have Edit Mode included in Cubase too, you could chime in for that here: viewtopic.php?f=252&t=111077

umfufu

Post by umfufu » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:28 am

Starsprinkler wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:53 am
umfufu wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:09 am
The main thing that I would miss is "Edit Mode", where the handles and fades make the video move with them... I'm correct that Cubase doesn't have that right?
That is correct. But there's a Feature Request to have Edit Mode included in Cubase too, you could chime in for that here: viewtopic.php?f=252&t=111077
K... Will do. Even though I don't own it (yet), haha.

umfufu

Post by umfufu » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:30 am

PS: Even better yet though, Steinberg, give me 9.5 features please! ;)

umfufu

Post by umfufu » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:33 pm

Timo?

Fredo
External Moderator

Post by Fredo » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:27 pm

ChrisPolus wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:01 pm
Why would Cubase need a separate VCA implementation?
Because the Cubase users WANTED it like that.
The first implementation of the automation system caused a big uproar on the Cubase forums because they simply didn't understand it.
The forums were on fire, and after a series of polls, the users voted *on masse* for the old automation system, no matter how much we tried to explain that it was identical to using "write to end".

Same for VCA's. The new grouping feature set was very good, and was covering everything that was needed for music production., ut it wasn't correct and good enough for audio post. Cubase users didn't want the extra layer of complexity, so the request was granted to not change anything for the Cubase users.

I really don't want to go into discussion about that, I have had my share of sh** trying to explain the differences.
I have learned that explaining stuff just makes things worse.
People want things the way they want them, and they tell you when they want them.

Anyway, the answer is: Because Steinberg has listened to their users.

Fredo

ChrisPolus

Post by ChrisPolus » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:08 pm

Fredo wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:27 pm
Because the Cubase users WANTED it like that.
Well, lucky for them as they didn't get the broken Nuendo VCA ;)

(Nice to see you back here, I thought you'd be annoyed by what's currently going on here and choose to stay away for good reason. Understandable.)
Handmade Win10 x64 Machine, Intel 6 Core CPU, ASUS Prime Board, 16GB RAM, 1080 GTX
MacBook Pro 15" Late 2016 with Touchbar, latest macOS, 16GB RAM
Latest Nuendo version, Logic Pro X, Reaper, UAD Apollo Duo + Twin MK2 via Thunderbolt

Fredo
External Moderator

Post by Fredo » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:14 pm

You know, I sometimes wonder how I can keep my company alive.
Since we are a Nuendo-only facility, we must be unable to get any work done with all these useless and totally broken features.

Fredo

MattiasNYC
Grand Senior Member

Post by MattiasNYC » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:56 pm

Fredo wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:14 pm
Since we are a Nuendo-only facility, we must be unable to get any work done with all these useless and totally broken features.

Fredo
At least you understand that the best thing to do at this point is to exaggerate criticism and thereby kind of belittle the people that are issuing the critique.

Maybe that too was irony. I don't know.

I'd explain the point of that if I had more time.
Nuendo 7.1.4 / Lynx TWO-B / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Ryzen 1700 3.7GHz (oc) / 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4@3200MHz / Nvidia GTX 660 / ASUS x370-A mobo/ 500GB WD Blue system drive / Crucial BX100 250GB SSD media / spinners for library/backup ::::: iZotope RX / Phoenixverb Surround / DaVinci Resolve / Faderport / Applied Acoustics UltraAnalog / my pet pony Frank

umfufu

Post by umfufu » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:01 pm

MattiasNYC wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:56 pm
Fredo wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:14 pm

Fredo
At least you understand that the best thing to do at this point is to exaggerate criticism and thereby kind of belittle the people that are issuing the critique.

Maybe that too was irony. I don't know.

I'd explain the point of that if I had more time.
Agreed. Really not a good look at this point.

What would be helpful though is some communication about the central topics of this thread.

Return to “General”