Dorico keeps automatically changing my notes

Discussions about our next-generation scoring application, Dorico.
jamozart1

Dorico keeps automatically changing my notes

Post by jamozart1 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:30 am

Whenever I enter a note in Write Mode, the program will automatically change my note values. So if I enter a whole note, the program will automatically change the whole note to a half note tied to a dotted quarter note. Does anyone know how I can disable this behaviour so that I can enter any note I want without having the program automatically changing my note values? Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MarcLarcher
Grand Senior Member

Re: Dorico keeps automatically changing my notes

Post by MarcLarcher » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:29 am

This looks like a bug… and the kind I do not remember having read about in this forum. Have you tried to restart Dorico to make sure this goes on ? If so, send here a little dorico project (that you will zip in order to send it) that displays that behavior, for Dorico's team to have a look at it.
OS X 10.14.6, macbook pro retina Late 2013
Opera singer (lyric tenor), photographer, sound engineer, XeLaTeX user and music engraver (Dorico Pro 3.1, and Photoscore Ultimate 2020.1.14(9.0.2))
French is my native language

jamozart1

Post by jamozart1 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:56 am

How do I post the file to this thread and can I send a video of the problem, too?

Daniel at Steinberg

Post by Daniel at Steinberg » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:38 pm

It doesn't sound like a bug to me: it sounds like your expectation of how the prevailing meter should be subdivided rhythmically and Dorico's are at odds with one another. When you input notes in Dorico, you're inputting notes that are of the specified length, but they are not guaranteed to be notated using a single notehead. For example, if you input a note of a quarter (crotchet) in duration but do so on the third 8th (quaver) of 6/8, it will be notated as two eighths tied together, because it crosses the compound beat boundary.

You can force Dorico to use only the notations you specify by switching on Force Durations (key command O) but I would advise against it. It would be better to figure out how to work with Dorico's features for setting out the music clearly according to the meter. Can you tell us what meter you are trying to write in?

jamozart1

Post by jamozart1 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:42 pm

Here is the file.
note changing problem.zip
Here is the file that is showing the note changing problem
(644.66 KiB) Downloaded 63 times

jamozart1

Post by jamozart1 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:47 pm

I'm using 4/4 meter in the file above.

jamozart1

Post by jamozart1 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:56 pm

I am trying to enter whole notes in 4/4 meter using the violin. What I notice is that when I enter small notes like eighth notes, everything works. But when I try to enter whole notes, the notes are changed. What exactly should I be doing?

MarcLarcher
Grand Senior Member

Post by MarcLarcher » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:30 pm

Dear jamozart1,

When I answered your first post, I understood the value you entered was changed — if I count properly, there is one 8th missing in your whole note description. This is where the bug lies ^^
Now that I see your file, I see that Daniel has forseen your problem, even if you did not describe it in an accurate manner.
Dorico is doing its job fine, and if you need it to display another kind of rhythmic association, do as Daniel suggests. ;-)
OS X 10.14.6, macbook pro retina Late 2013
Opera singer (lyric tenor), photographer, sound engineer, XeLaTeX user and music engraver (Dorico Pro 3.1, and Photoscore Ultimate 2020.1.14(9.0.2))
French is my native language

Daniel at Steinberg

Post by Daniel at Steinberg » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:20 pm

Are you using mouse input, jamozart1? If so, try to make sure that you are clicking close to the start of the bar. It looks like you must be missing and clicking too far to the right.

Take a look at the videos introducing note input on the YouTube channel – I think a few minutes spent there could save you a lot of time overall: Write mode in Dorico.

Return to “Dorico”