Cubase on Atari ST

For users of legacy Steinberg Cubase software
dannyjlewis

Cubase on Atari ST

Post by dannyjlewis »

Who remembers it? I'll never forget those days in the early 90s - classic times. I remember working on some long sessions - 21 hours being the longest - and sometimes we'd get these mad moments where cubase would seem to compose on it's own with extra notes here and there that actually sounded great!

Any other memories?

matjones

Re: Cubase on Atari ST

Post by matjones »

OH YES!
Remember the big ole clunky block of a mouse the ST used to have too? The top of the ST was a real pain to keep clean too for some weird reason.
our guitarist and i were reminiscing about this only yesterday lol i would have killed for a falcon back then too.. crazy to think that your average smart phone has way more capability these days :o
Cubase 10.5.12 Asus Z390-Plus, i9 9900 @ (3.7) 5GHz, 64GB DDR4 3000Mhz RAM, RME Multiface II PCIe, SSL Alpha Channel/Fusion, UAD2 Octo/Solo/Quad, UA6176, Neve 8801/8803, Loads of plugs, WL10, Melodyne Studio 5, Arturia VC7, iZotope MPS, Eventide XI, Various toys, Telefunken, Neumann, AKG, Austrian Audio, Sontronics, Shure Mics, Adam A7X and Avantone monitors, AKG K702, ATH-M70x, Nektar P6, Warwick, Spector Basses, Gibson Les Paul Studio & loads of other junk.

Minds are like parachutes, they work best when they're open.

dannyjlewis

Post by dannyjlewis »

matjones wrote:OH YES!
Remember the big ole clunky block of a mouse the ST used to have too? The top of the ST was a real pain to keep clean too for some weird reason.
our guitarist and i were reminiscing about this only yesterday lol i would have killed for a falcon back then too.. crazy to think that your average smart phone has way more capability these days :o
Yep, and usually the studio mice would need a proper clean too - i lost count of the amount of times I had to do it myself when the studio had just left the poor things to fester! Falcon would have been handy in those days, certainly a lot easier than button pushing on the mixer to bounce the best vocal from 6 takes on tape!

matjones

Post by matjones »

I moved house a couple of years ago and was in TURMOIL!!!! lol whether to dump it or not.. i moved into a bungalow and there just wasn't enough space to to the tip it went....... shame really :(
Did you ever get that problem where the RAM decided to un-attach itself and you had to bodge it with solder? pretty common problem from what i heard.
Cubase 10.5.12 Asus Z390-Plus, i9 9900 @ (3.7) 5GHz, 64GB DDR4 3000Mhz RAM, RME Multiface II PCIe, SSL Alpha Channel/Fusion, UAD2 Octo/Solo/Quad, UA6176, Neve 8801/8803, Loads of plugs, WL10, Melodyne Studio 5, Arturia VC7, iZotope MPS, Eventide XI, Various toys, Telefunken, Neumann, AKG, Austrian Audio, Sontronics, Shure Mics, Adam A7X and Avantone monitors, AKG K702, ATH-M70x, Nektar P6, Warwick, Spector Basses, Gibson Les Paul Studio & loads of other junk.

ffg

Post by ffg »

It's easy to forget how fantastic Cubase was when it appeared in 1989 (or 88? can't remember). I did a review of it for one of the UK magazines and it was streets ahead of anything else, including its predecessor, Pro 24.

It's been a 21-year love/hate affair...
best wishes

David

I'm going to to let the situation mature...

Nuendo 10.3
Cubase 10.5
MacPro 3.3 6-core OSX 10.12
Macbook Pro OSX 10.14
RME Fireface 802
RME Fireface 800
Audient ID14

matjones

Post by matjones »

I used to use an Alesis MMT8 hardware sequencer for live stuff... still got it actually, that was a bloody marvellous bit of kit in it's day too, still pretty handy if you're into live sequencing too.
The tape based storage system and IIRC 60000 'note' capacity were a bit of a limitation though.

thinkingcap
Grand Senior Member

Post by thinkingcap »

And you think this belongs in the Cubase 5 forum, because...'?
Shouldn´t you rather take care of your fellow Mac users, who already have to take the unbearable burden of having to go through all those many windows posts, and post this somewhere it belongs to...?
Cubase 5.1.1 (32bit) | Win 7 Pro x64 SP1 | RME Fireface UFX | RME Fireface 800 | Cubase Essential 5 | Win 7 Home Premium x64
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just took off my thinkingcap, it got filled up with too much crap...

PMF

Post by PMF »

yes its a very OT Topic and it will be either closed or moved...
but its very interesting all the same :-)
the other day while tidying up my Studio all kinds of old memories turned up :-)

http://www.pmfoundation.ch/pics/misc/cubase_atari.jpg

its really been a long and very creative time with a really cool piece of Software....
Multitrack/Mastering HW: ASUS P87 Plus, i7 4790 3.6GHZ, 32GB RAM, Graphics: ATI Radeon HD7750, HD SYS C: 0.5TB, Samsung evo 850, VSTi F: Seagate ST2000DX001, Data E:3TB, Seagate ST3000DM008, Backup/Image: 4TB Seagate ST4000DM005 x2, RME RayDat, 3 Focusrite Clarett Octopre, GAP Prem73 Pre, RME Quadmic II, OS WIN10 64bit 1909, Cubase Pro 10.5.00, Sequel3 and Samplitude PRO-X4 15.2.2.388 64bit.

matjones

Post by matjones »

...... seeing as cubase 6 is out now and this section of the forum has been renamed 'cubase 5 and earlier' i think this post is completely legitimate... quite nice too to be having a civilised exchange between mac and pc owners too...... see we're not all children! well some of us aren't......
lol yeah a mate of mine still has his old steinberg hardware languishing in the back of his garage..... we were having a good laugh at it a few months back :D

arimus

Post by arimus »

I can never forget Cubase 2.01 for Atari, awesome graphics and phenomenal midi performance. And the excellent manual written by Ernst Nathorst-Böös!

.. It was back in '91 when I purchased my first and only full copy of Cubase. Since then, it's been upgrades only!

Split
Grand Senior Member

Post by Split »

Who was Mike Hunt anyway?
??????Split
Cubase 10|MOTU 16A
Still at it... just!

Laurence Payne

Post by Laurence Payne »

Remember hooking up an external PC power supply, 'cos the internal one was overstressed and always blew up? And those monochrome monitors that blew the Line Output Transformer - which was an unobtainable spare part? And having to return your new Falcon for a clock modification that enabled Cubase Audio? And the 3rd-party audio driver which was unstable until you made an undocumented change to the defailt settings? And...

ltf3

Post by ltf3 »

Yeah ... Pro 24 blew me away. Even though it was 'just' MIDI I couldn't believe what I was hearing ... and seeing!

It's been a L-O-N-G haul since then ... CDX D5 / Cubase Audio, Cubase VST, SX, and a couple of hardware multi trackers in there somewhere ... LOL.

Funnily enough I sold my Atari ST4 and an external HD (big as an LP) with the last Cubase Score (and believe it or not a copy of the Steinberg's sample editor Avalon) for 75% of what I had paid for it 15 years earlier! Try that with a beige box PC these days. 'Course now it's probably a 'Collectors Item'.

My Cubase 5.5.2 with the Steinberg 816csx interface is really the first time I've felt like it really is a studio in a box. It works great (along with a MIDI interface unfortunately) and runs all day every day ... I can't remember the last crash I had.

Hope V6 is just as good ... I'll make jump as soon as the current project is put to bed!

Best

Lee
Lee

Cubase 8.5, Nuendo 10, Cubasis ( gotta luv it ), Arturia Audio Fuse, OS 10.13.6, IMac Quad Core 3.2 GHz i7, 32GB RAM, Radeon Graphics 4GB

Post by Guest »

still got a st1040 e with 4 meg of ram ,cubase 2.1 ,sm124 monitor and the midex for the dongles :D i made the lid of the st removable as i had problems with the ram staying in place so i wedged it with matches , seems to have worked for the last 20 years like it so i just left it as it was , i think my longest session was 4 1/2 days , locking doors ,refusing to answer to anyone that called , i think on an average session id have to remove the mouse ball and clean it about 6 times lol , god i miss those days

actually iv'e still got 2x st520's as well with the replay 16 samplers , only with 1/2 a meg tho lol
old photo from 93 lol http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3 ... 1001227462

regards
freq

S4410

Post by S4410 »

filterfreak wrote:still got a st1040 e with 4 meg of ram ,cubase 2.1 ,sm124 monitor and the midex for the dongles :D
Ah yes, i also still have my Atari mega 4 and the red midex.And my cubase 3 disk and dongle!
It was all midi those days.But i was working with such enthusiasm! I miss that..
We are now complaining about the colors of our 128 channel mixer full of eqs,compressors,reverbs,automation etc..
Windows 10 Home | i7 3770k | Intel DZ77BH-55K | 32GB | Asus AMD 6450 | RME HDSPe AiO | Cubase Pro 10.5 | Wavelab Pro 9.5 | Dorico Pro 3 | iC| NI Komplete 11 | VSL Special Editions | Ableton Live Intro (rewired) | UAD-2 Quad

HP Elitebook| Cubase Elements

Post by Guest »

S4410 wrote: We are now complaining about the colors of our 128 channel mixer full of eqs,compressors,reverbs,automation etc..

aahhh yes , simple solution to that , dual monitor display , mixer open on one screen and go and buy insulation tape all different colours and stick on screen on the mixer channels as you require .... problem solved !

regards
freq

PMF

Post by PMF »

yeah the red midex..... that was a real dream... I only managed to buy the the key EX.....

how true about the complaining....
Wow, a MegaST4 used to be another dream of mine.... but I was still quite happy with my 1040ST which I sold with a tear shortly bevor Christmas.
Nowadays I'm complaining about my WIN-7 32Bit Quadcore because I can only access 3.75GB of the RAM....
the problems are somewhat the same but on a different level....

and when I switch over to WIN-7 64bit I'll surely find something to complain about too :-)
Multitrack/Mastering HW: ASUS P87 Plus, i7 4790 3.6GHZ, 32GB RAM, Graphics: ATI Radeon HD7750, HD SYS C: 0.5TB, Samsung evo 850, VSTi F: Seagate ST2000DX001, Data E:3TB, Seagate ST3000DM008, Backup/Image: 4TB Seagate ST4000DM005 x2, RME RayDat, 3 Focusrite Clarett Octopre, GAP Prem73 Pre, RME Quadmic II, OS WIN10 64bit 1909, Cubase Pro 10.5.00, Sequel3 and Samplitude PRO-X4 15.2.2.388 64bit.

Suprawill1

Post by Suprawill1 »

filterfreak wrote:still got a st1040 e with 4 meg of ram ,cubase 2.1 ,sm124 monitor and the midex for the dongles :D i made the lid of the st removable as i had problems with the ram staying in place so i wedged it with matches , seems to have worked for the last 20 years like it so i just left it as it was

Still have the ST1040 in the closet along with the 30mb hard drive the size of a turntable.
I have 2 working partners with the same gear. I remember those days well! :)

Home built Cooler Master tower - ASUS Prime Z270 MB - Intel Core i7 6700K@4.2G - 32G G.Skill Ripjaw V - Dual 24" Monitors - Cubase Pro 10 - Windows 10 & 7 Pro 64 - Samsung 970 EVO NVMe - Samsung 960 EVO NVMe - 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs - Roland Studio Capture Interface - X Touch Controller - Halion 6 - Addictive Drums 1&2 - Melodyne 4 - Serato

Split
Grand Senior Member

Post by Split »

Suprawill1 wrote:
filterfreak wrote:still got a st1040 e with 4 meg of ram ,cubase 2.1 ,sm124 monitor and the midex for the dongles :D i made the lid of the st removable as i had problems with the ram staying in place so i wedged it with matches , seems to have worked for the last 20 years like it so i just left it as it was

Still have the ST1040 in the closet along with the 30mb hard drive the size of a turntable.

Ooo you had a hard drive :ugeek:
We had to put up with floppys :cry:
But we did have a Midex+ box :geek:
??????Split
Cubase 10|MOTU 16A
Still at it... just!

Suprawill1

Post by Suprawill1 »

Got that after having to put up with the floppys. Wow! I forgot about those. :)
Home built Cooler Master tower - ASUS Prime Z270 MB - Intel Core i7 6700K@4.2G - 32G G.Skill Ripjaw V - Dual 24" Monitors - Cubase Pro 10 - Windows 10 & 7 Pro 64 - Samsung 970 EVO NVMe - Samsung 960 EVO NVMe - 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs - Roland Studio Capture Interface - X Touch Controller - Halion 6 - Addictive Drums 1&2 - Melodyne 4 - Serato

Zenda

Post by Zenda »

I remember the rush I felt as I upgraded the ram to 4meg. Much bigger rush, though, when I managed to get an old case, pull the keyboard section from my working rig, transfer it to the new case and extend the cable, so I'd have my Seperate keyboard. Heck ... the space age was here ... and I'd made it happen :lol: And Gawd, it looked a mess.

Installing a ramdisk, loading my programs on it, and keeping the computer on 14/7. Instant loading.

Using Score Edit to design and print my wedding invitations.

Years of simple workflow and cubase and Roland D110 just got on with the job. The very early stuff in my sig is all Atari.

Opening up my SM125, and finding how to amplify the deflectors [or something], so's to maximize the size of the picture on the screen :D
Accidentally throwing it away three years ago, because it was stacked with a couple of 15-inch PC monitors I was chucking. :( :evil:
Remembering now, how, back there then, it all looked like The LateST and The GreateST, and how geeking and tweaking were entrance requirements.

Oh ... And ST Club .... a magazine based community where the relationship with developers was not 'Gimme', but 'HowCanWe' :geek: :?: :ugeek: :?: :geek: :ugeek: :idea: :!: :mrgreen:
The Gypsy King
Music - out of date
Photos

i7930, OCZ Vertex2, Raptors, RME Multiface 2, 12gigRam, C5, Photoshop CS5, Unreal Tournament.

HowlingUlf

Post by HowlingUlf »

Split wrote:But we did have a Midex+ box :geek:
What was that? The black thingie that generated and received SMPTE? Or was that something else.

We had that to sync to two ADAT blackface. It was easier to make the SMPTE/Atari sync with the ADATS than to make the two freaking ADATs sync with each other haha! :evil: Alesis hardware crap!

And digital tape ... how wrong does that seem now? :o :lol:
Gothenburg, Sweden
Steinberg Cubase Pro 10.5 | Steinberg WaveLab 10 | Steinberg Absolute 4 | Steinberg SpectralLayers 6
Win10 63.5 Pro | ASUS ATX Z170-P | Intel Core i7-6700K Skylake | 32GB RAM |
Nektar Panorama P6 | | Steinberg Midex8 | Steinberg UR824 |

Suprawill1

Post by Suprawill1 »

Zenda wrote: Oh ... And ST Club .... a magazine based community where the relationship with developers was not 'Gimme', but 'HowCanWe' :geek: :?: :ugeek: :?: :geek: :ugeek: :idea: :!: :mrgreen:

A very important part of that era not easily passed down.

Suprawill1

Post by Suprawill1 »

HowlingUlf wrote:
We had that to sync to two ADAT blackface. It was easier to make the SMPTE/Atari sync with the ADATS than to make the two freaking ADATs sync with each other haha! :evil: Alesis hardware crap!

And digital tape ... how wrong does that seem now? :o :lol:

Wow. ADATs too. Got four of those using as doorstops now.

HornForHire

Post by HornForHire »

Split wrote:
Suprawill1 wrote:

Ooo you had a hard drive :ugeek:
We had to put up with floppys :cry:
But we did have a Midex+ box :geek:
Yes, I've also got an ST1040F with Cubase 1.0 and a 30 Mb hard drive in the attic! 8-)

Return to “Older Cubase versions”