Direct offline processing barely usable...

Post general topics related to Nuendo 8 here.
Altiverb

Direct offline processing barely usable...

Post by Altiverb » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:44 pm

Hi everyone,

I started last week a sound editing for a Web-serie, and decided it was the perfect timing to try this new version that seems - as usual - innovative and promising. Here we go with Mac OSX 10.10.5.

But... Izotope RX6 (you already know about this one), Fabfilter v2.11, futzbox v6.3.15, reverse, stereo flip, pitch, nothing really works as expected with the Direct Offline Processing window :

- parameter changes don't apply (or after several tries).
- Old parameters are most of the time applied instead of what I configured, same for the presets.
- Sometimes the plugin goes off even before I can do anything.
- When I use keyboard shortcuts, the direct offline process doesn't understand anything half of the time.
- On the fabfilters, when I use the modifier keys, the plugin simply crashes.
- I am forced to close and re-open the DOP window so Nuendo understands I want to monitor what I'm doing, otherwise I have no signal at all.

I have about 2 hours of program to edit and can't think about working this way -> Rolling back to N7.
That's a shame because mixing with N8 is a real pleasure. I didn't have any problem with a 20' show I worked on last week (from various projects edited on N4, N5, N6 and N7, then dragged and dropped from a project to another). Even working with the Neyrinck V-control has been easy !

Do you have any sound editor as a beta-tester ? If you do, maybe you should consider working closely with him for the next update.

I hope the best for the next one so I'll be able to unleash the beast :twisted:

Oliver.Lucas

Re: Direct offline processing barely usable...

Post by Oliver.Lucas » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:01 pm

Unfortunately that's exactly what I think.
Main machine: Fireface UFX+ 64GB, 2TB Hecacore macmini 10.14.x, egpu
Avid ProTools Ulitimate and S3. A gazillion plugings

In_Stereo

Post by In_Stereo » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:26 pm

I had the same experience in my use of Nuendo 8 (GUI issues have kept me from continuing use until they're fixed). It's a fantastic concept but needs to be fully working -- it's inconsistent and buggy right now.
Last edited by In_Stereo on Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cubase 9.5, Trashcan Mac 6-core 3.7ghz, High Sierra 10.13.4 OS, AMD FirePro D300 Dual, 64 gig RAM, plugins galore, some hardware, a bunch of real instruments and synths, Apollo 8 TB, etc., etc., and two cats

OnBeat

Post by OnBeat » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:35 pm

Same here, I hope they fix it sooner than later as it's a feature I use all the time.
Oscar Zayas
Onbeat Studios
WPB, FL

Nuendo 10, Cubase 10, Wavelab 10
Windows 10 64 bit, Quad core Intel i7 - 67000K, 16gig ram

heisenberg9

Post by heisenberg9 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:58 pm

Trying to wrap my head around the real time processing engine. I have been using it with the plugins I have and no issues. It was mentioned that a FabFilter Plugin doesn't work, it crashes.

I am picking up some FabFilter plugins in the next couple of weeks and would like to know if all the common FabFilter plugins crash, which ones. If it matters with this issue, I am on WIndows 7 x64.

Has anyone come across a video that shows the workflow for using direct offline processing?

Thanks!

-Andrew

In_Stereo

Post by In_Stereo » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:49 pm

I had on-and-off issues with Fabfilter Pro-C2 and Volcano, but not MB or Pro-Q2.
Cubase 9.5, Trashcan Mac 6-core 3.7ghz, High Sierra 10.13.4 OS, AMD FirePro D300 Dual, 64 gig RAM, plugins galore, some hardware, a bunch of real instruments and synths, Apollo 8 TB, etc., etc., and two cats

Robin Walsh

Post by Robin Walsh » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:34 pm

Why does it drop the overall level while the Offline Processing window is open?
Nuendo 10.02 - Windows 10 - i9 9900K - nVidia GeForce 1060 - RME Raydat - Amphion

Xiste

Post by Xiste » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:59 pm

I have had 10 sudden shut-downs today, using the new and "improved" offline processing. In 5 out of 10 times Nuendo 8 just shuts down the instant I press "apply. According to the OSX error-log, it happens because I try to apply something to a "freed object" , whatever that means.

Another thing that happens constantly when I use new offline processor, is that it resets the preview listening slider in the media bay to 100%. And in the media bay I have found no way to adjust the preview level prior to the first preview. Well, I can of course adjust the overall listening level in the control room panel, and then turn down the preview slider once it appears in the media bay, ... but SERIOUSLY!... ; This is supposed to be a program "tailored to audio post-production workflows for film and TV".
In film production, the nominal audio level is -18db. So why is the preview level not defaulting to minus 18 (or even lower)?
When you are working in a calibrated mixing theatre, any sound played back at 100% is guaranteed to make your customers get *quiz* off regarding you an amateur – and you should be lucky if they don't sue you for damaging their hearing.

I can fully appreciate programmers need to show off their skills, but please: There are users out here, using Nuendo for professional work. Why change something that works perfectly well, when there are SO many other things that needs improvement in Nuendo?
Part from giving us a dedicated preview-level-fader, you could start with improving the navigation bar – or improving the search criteria in the media bay, so searching for "Rain" don't give us hundreds of results for "Train".

Well...just some steam blown off. Sorry!

Xiste

MattiasNYC
Grand Senior Member

Post by MattiasNYC » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:42 pm

The new forum needs "I like the post"-votes.....
Nuendo 7.1.4 / Lynx TWO-B / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Ryzen 1700 3.7GHz (oc) / 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4@3200MHz / Nvidia GTX 660 / ASUS x370-A mobo/ 500GB WD Blue system drive / Crucial BX100 250GB SSD media / spinners for library/backup ::::: iZotope RX / Phoenixverb Surround / DaVinci Resolve / Faderport / Applied Acoustics UltraAnalog / my pet pony Frank

fenderchris

Post by fenderchris » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:45 am

And why dump the nice thumbs-up/thanks feature?
Chris

The Archers - give it a rest already!

Windows-10 Pro 64-bit v.1903.

PC: i7 Quad core 2.66GHz, 24GB ram, SSD drives.

Screens: LG 4K 3440x1440, AG-Neovo 1280x1024 (x2).

Hardware: RME FireFace UFX, MR816CSX (x2), SmartAV Tango-1 + 12-fader expansion, MOTU Midi Express 128, UAD-2 Quad, Lexicon PCM-91, Lexicon MPX-550, TC-Fireworx, Roland V-Drums TD-20X, Nektar Panorama P1.

Software: Nuendo-8.1.10, Nuendo-10.2, Wavelab-Elements-9.5, Halion-6, Halion Sonic 3, Kontakt-5, Cubase iCPro for iPhone and Android (killed by its parents at birth), Omnisphere, Trillian.

Robin Walsh

Post by Robin Walsh » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:14 am

I'm really battling with the new offline processing. The new implementation will probably be good once it's sorted out - I hope sooner than later
Nuendo 10.02 - Windows 10 - i9 9900K - nVidia GeForce 1060 - RME Raydat - Amphion

mozizo

Post by mozizo » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:46 pm

mmm.. i used to use antares Auto tune on audio clips/events, now with the Direct Offline Processing something is wrong,its harder to access and the main issue is that Auto tune only makes effect when preview in DOP window,after apply(or auto apply mode) the event on project has not changed, even when "make all permanent" is done the auto tune does not apply to the event.
is there still a way to do the offline process in the "old" way in N8 ?
Last edited by mozizo on Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cubase Pro 9.5 64bit ,halion 6 GA4 HS2,HSO,Dark planet,neosoul keys.
Sony vaioF13 i7 CPU win10 redstone 64bit 8gb
Steinberg MR816csx ,MR816x ,UR44 ,CC121
Motif es6-Kawai Mp4-Korg PA4X-MOXF8
cubasis,cubase ic pro

Robin Walsh

Post by Robin Walsh » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:33 am

PLEASE!!!!!! This is ridiculous!! Try pitch shifting a piece of music - choose poly complex algorithm, apply and it jumps back to the basic algorithm! Useless..!!

Oliver.Lucas

Post by Oliver.Lucas » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:06 pm

Try reversing a sample by key command. Not possible anymore...

MattiasNYC
Grand Senior Member

Post by MattiasNYC » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:15 pm

I think you guys need to break out each issue and create a thread for each, and put [BUG] in the thread title. So far there's very little indication Steinberg is reading this, and you would help others by logging the bugs more clearly in the forum.

In my humble opinion anyway....
Nuendo 7.1.4 / Lynx TWO-B / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Ryzen 1700 3.7GHz (oc) / 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4@3200MHz / Nvidia GTX 660 / ASUS x370-A mobo/ 500GB WD Blue system drive / Crucial BX100 250GB SSD media / spinners for library/backup ::::: iZotope RX / Phoenixverb Surround / DaVinci Resolve / Faderport / Applied Acoustics UltraAnalog / my pet pony Frank

Robin Walsh

Post by Robin Walsh » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:43 pm

MattiasNYC wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:15 pm
I think you guys need to break out each issue and create a thread for each, and put [BUG] in the thread title. So far there's very little indication Steinberg is reading this, and you would help others by logging the bugs more clearly in the forum.

In my humble opinion anyway....
Good point

Max Stirner

Post by Max Stirner » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:28 am

Same here. Just updated to Nuendo 8 because I wanted to use it on a few upcoming projects. Offline processing is really not usable. And without it functioning, I cannot work in Nuendo 8. I might do the final mix in it, but otherwise I will have to stick with Nuendo 7 for now.
Mac Pro 2.66 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 8GB DDR3, Mac OS 10.11.6, Nuendo 8, Fireface 800

In_Stereo

Post by In_Stereo » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:04 pm

I know this probably a pointless question, but how does something get released with a new feature that is this broken? I don't get it, just want to understand how it happens! :)

MattiasNYC
Grand Senior Member

Post by MattiasNYC » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:25 pm

In_Stereo wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:04 pm
I know this probably a pointless question, but how does something get released with a new feature that is this broken? I don't get it, just want to understand how it happens! :)
Did you pay for this upgrade?

In_Stereo

Post by In_Stereo » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:28 pm

MattiasNYC wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:25 pm
In_Stereo wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:04 pm
Did you pay for this upgrade?
Yes I did. It was a major mistake...I should have waited for the trial but was antsy to get some features that I miss from Pro Tools being on Cubase. My mistake there, for sure. I didn't own Nuendo before -- it was a crossgrade from Cubase.

MattiasNYC
Grand Senior Member

Post by MattiasNYC » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:39 pm

So now you know why Steinberg and others release software that doesn't work properly. Because "we" pay for it anyway. I thought VCAs worked in version 7 and paid for that. Took a looooooooong time to get that working properly. Hopefully this won't be as bad as that was, because that was horribly unethical.

I've learned my lesson.

fenderchris

Post by fenderchris » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:56 pm

Yes, I always used to buy the updates as soon they were released, but the N7 VCA release was such a disaster that I've become very nervous of updating to the first release of a new version. I have installed the N8 Trial but it will not load my latest project so I have lost heart and given up. Add to that all of the bad reports on this forum and I'm staying with N7.
Chris

The Archers - give it a rest already!

Windows-10 Pro 64-bit v.1903.

PC: i7 Quad core 2.66GHz, 24GB ram, SSD drives.

Screens: LG 4K 3440x1440, AG-Neovo 1280x1024 (x2).

Hardware: RME FireFace UFX, MR816CSX (x2), SmartAV Tango-1 + 12-fader expansion, MOTU Midi Express 128, UAD-2 Quad, Lexicon PCM-91, Lexicon MPX-550, TC-Fireworx, Roland V-Drums TD-20X, Nektar Panorama P1.

Software: Nuendo-8.1.10, Nuendo-10.2, Wavelab-Elements-9.5, Halion-6, Halion Sonic 3, Kontakt-5, Cubase iCPro for iPhone and Android (killed by its parents at birth), Omnisphere, Trillian.

In_Stereo

Post by In_Stereo » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:06 pm

MattiasNYC wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:39 pm
So now you know why Steinberg and others release software that doesn't work properly. Because "we" pay for it anyway. I thought VCAs worked in version 7 and paid for that. Took a looooooooong time to get that working properly. Hopefully this won't be as bad as that was, because that was horribly unethical.

I've learned my lesson.
You're right. I learned my lesson the hard way, too. :( Well, if things like this and the Mac GUI situation aren't remedied fairly soon I'll sell my Nuendo license and not look back. I've never been so frustrated with a software company as I am right now with Steinberg, both Cubase and Nuendo, and I've only been with them for about a year and a half, coming from years on Pro Tools and a few stints with Reaper.

I don't want to start a rant thread -- I've just been getting rightfully angry about all of this.

Oliver.Lucas

Post by Oliver.Lucas » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:37 pm

I collected some bits from comments users have posted from 3 or 4 threads on this forum. Not in context and yes it focusses on the bad things, but anyway - here we go:

Altiverb
can't think about working this way -> Rolling back to N7.

seriallabstudios
this is really holding up my work.

MarcusStaffel
I thought Nuendo8 could handle video better

Davinzzie
I cannot recommend the installation of N8 just yet

In_Stereo
it's inconsistent and buggy

OnBeat
I hope they fix it sooner than later

heisenberg9
would like to know if all the common FabFilter plugins crash,

Xiste
I have had 10 sudden shut-downs today, using the new and "improved" offline processing

mozizo
now with the Direct Offline Processing something is wrong

Max Stirner
I will have to stick with Nuendo 7 for now.

robdeaner
It is really unusable in this state

Robbie Ost
N8 is choking on my system too

Niekbeem
I've tried to use N8 for serious jobs but the poor Offline Processing combined with RX, strange EuCon hiccups and these instabilities made me decide it has to wait for a proper release.......

linzevalk
It's the first time I have had serious issues (not usable professionally, not usable period) with a Nuendo release

Audiomangler
very disappointed,

KMT333
I’m having a lot of trouble

ju
not acceptable at all in the long term.

Oliver.Lucas
Very unhappy customer!

hendrix97
I have not found a workaround as of now.

MattiasNYC
it's something that just isn't justifiable any longer.

fuzzydude
I'll be holding off upgrading

ChrisPolus
For me the workaround process doesn't work reliably

Looks like Steinberg got this wrong in a very big way. My disappointment with this release is beyond anything I have ever witnessed with "pro" software.
Why do I post all this?
Because I want to know when this beta will finally turn into something useable.

In_Stereo

Post by In_Stereo » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:50 pm

Man. the Nuendo forum is quite small, and that's a good amount of people here. It's unusable for me, as well, due mostly to the Direct Processing and Mac GUI fiasco.

Maybe this can console you just the tiniest bit: You'd be even more disappointed if you spent $1400 for it. :(

Return to “General”