Operation manual

Discussions about our next-generation scoring application, Dorico.
Flandes

Operation manual

Post by Flandes »

Hi,

I noticed that the current version of the operation manual does not cover all the new features implemented with the new releases.
Will there be an updated version of the manual soon?
Thanks

Daniel at Steinberg

Re: Operation manual

Post by Daniel at Steinberg »

We are in the process of hiring a new writer to join our team in London, and as soon as he or she has joined us, we will be able to accelerate the revision of the documentation.

msurrealist

Post by msurrealist »

How can I get a copy of the manual?

Mike 999

Post by Mike 999 »

I believe the manual is available only as an online document. I agree it would be beneficial for at least "old fogies" like me to have a hard paper copy available. However, with the software sill undergoing pretty regular changes, Steinberg may consider things are changing too rapidly to make a commercial hard copy a viable prospect(?) However, you could always print out the online pdf copy.
OS X 10.12.4, Intel i7 quad core, 16 GB RAM

Daniel at Steinberg

You can download a PDF file of the current state of the Dorico Operation Manual from Steinberg.help but there is no paper copy available.

Flandes

Post by Flandes »

Daniel, thank you for your reply.

guitarlos

Post by guitarlos »

Hello Daniel,

Thank you for the information. Could you please attach a link. I could not find the PDF file. I only found the online documentation.

Carlos
You can download a PDF file of the current state of the Dorico Operation Manual from Steinberg.help but there is no paper copy available.

Daniel at Steinberg

Try here, Carlos.

guitarlos

Post by guitarlos »

Hello Daniel,

Thank you very much.

notesetter

Post by notesetter »

Daniel, I realize it might be a little too soon to say, but will a third-party Dorico guide be somewhere in the pipeline? The advantages of this kind of guide are many, not the least that they are physical print products.

Thanks,
Bruce
Bruce

Dorico PRO 3.5
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.2
Mac mini, OSX 10.12.6

Never tell someone how to do something. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.
–General George S. Patton Jr

Daniel at Steinberg

At the moment I am not aware of any third party publishers considering any books on Dorico.

guitarlos

Post by guitarlos »

Hello Daniel,
Dorico is looking better and better, like I said before I can't wait to see the upcoming update.
Do you know if the update would come with an updated PDF manual?
I noticed that the one you sent me the link doesn't have a version/date reference so it is hard to know to what version refers.

Thank you for all the hard work.
Carlos

MarcLarcher
Grand Senior Member

Post by MarcLarcher »

Carlos,
I read on the forum that Dorico's team has just hired an author, and that his job could be decorrelated from Dorico's updates.
Marc Larcher

OS X 10.15.6, macbook pro 2019 16" (8 cores i9 @ 2.3GHz, 32GB, 1TB)
Opera singer (lyric tenor), photographer, sound engineer, XeLaTeX user and music engraver (Dorico Pro 3.5.10, and Photoscore Ultimate 2020.1.14(9.0.2))
French is my native language

Daniel at Steinberg

There will not be any update to the documentation that is published on Steinberg.help when Dorico 1.1 is released, but I have written up pretty extensive documentation for the new features in the update, which will be included in the version history document that you will be able to download from the same location as the update itself. This will certainly form the basis of documenting the new features in the main online help system in due course.

Puma0382

Post by Puma0382 »

Daniel at Steinberg wrote:There will not be any update to the documentation that is published on Steinberg.help when Dorico 1.1 is released
Ok, but can that document (it is the one most will click on to refer to) at least get a date/time/version 'stamp' added, now..? As @guitarlos points out in his post above, its confusing/frustrating - since that omission makes the info contained there, untrustworthy...

Was it written in Dec 2016, Jan 2017, last week, last month...? To what edition of the released software does it refer, etc, etc...
System 1:- Win10 64bit, Gigabyte H81M m/board, Intel i7 4790 3.6Ghz, 16Gb RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750 Ti, 2 x 22" HD monitors; Steinberg UR44; Cubase Pro v10.5.20, WaveLab Pro v10.0.40, Studio One v4.6.1, Dorico Elements v3.5.10, Addictive Drums 2, Komplete 12, StylusRMX

System 2:- Win10 32bit, Q6600 2.4 Ghz, 4Gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS, Delta 1010LT; Cubase Pro v8.0.40, WaveLab Pro v9.1.0, Komplete10, StylusRMX

Derrek
Grand Senior Member

Post by Derrek »

I agree that documentation and documentation updates (particularly in a rapidly changing/improving product like Dorico) should be time-and-date-stamped with its creation date.
Dorico Pro 3.5.10.1045, Finale (v26), GPO, JABB3, GWI, NotePerformer 3.3.1, CuBase Pro 10.5 newbie
Windows 10 (also Mac Catalina as alternate)
US English Keyboard

Daniel at Steinberg

I will ask the manuals team whether they would be happy to include this kind of information in the material published on Steinberg.help.

Rob Tuley
Grand Senior Member

Post by Rob Tuley »

If you don't want to put date and version information in the online help (it doesn't really belong there anyway - the online help is always the "latest version available" by definition) an alternative is to stick to a consistent document naming system for the PDF versions - e.g. "Dorico version [version-number] Operation Manual, [date created]".

But personally I tend to rename downloaded documents anyway, to give them consistent names that I can understand!

david-p

Post by david-p »

But personally I tend to rename downloaded documents anyway, to give them consistent names that I can understand!
I usually make the date part of that name, when it is a question of a document that will be updated in the future.

But the problem is to know whether the currently online version is later than the one you last downloaded. (It may not necessarily have more pages,)
David Pickett
Editor of orchestral and keyboard (early music) scores and occasional composer.
Conductor, audio producer and engineer.
Windows 10 Pro-64 & 10 Home-64, Samplitude Pro X4
www.fugato.com/pickett

ErnieMuse

Post by ErnieMuse »

I would appreciate a more complete reference manual. If there is one, I cannot seem to find it. I don't mind if the Manual is online, I don't mind if it is lacking time-stamping. What I do mind is that the indexing seems limited. For example, I wanted to Delete measures at the end of a Flow. I searched "delete" and found lots of things, but not what I wanted. I had to come to the Forum here to learn that what I wanted was "Trim Flow". Again, if the search feature was more robust, I might have found this. BTW, is there a document that shows every Menu item and Key Command, and what it does?

Oh, and by the way. I LOVE DORICO!! And I was a music engraver for many years!

MarkSealey

Post by MarkSealey »

Try this page.
ErnieMuse wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:52 pm
…BTW, is there a document that shows every Menu item and Key Command, and what it does?…
--
Mark Sealey
Dorico 3.5.10.1045/Ivory II/VSL/NotePerformer 3.3.1/(Sibelius Ultimate, 18.5.0…) on 'Late 2014' Retina 5K iMac; 4 GHz i7; 32 GB RAM; Mojave, 10.14.6

MarcLarcher
Grand Senior Member

Post by MarcLarcher »

First thing you should probably do, ErnieMuse, is watch all the little videos in Youtube Dorico's channel. Definetely worth the watch.
Marc Larcher

OS X 10.15.6, macbook pro 2019 16" (8 cores i9 @ 2.3GHz, 32GB, 1TB)
Opera singer (lyric tenor), photographer, sound engineer, XeLaTeX user and music engraver (Dorico Pro 3.5.10, and Photoscore Ultimate 2020.1.14(9.0.2))
French is my native language

ErnieMuse

Post by ErnieMuse »

<<First thing you should probably do, ErnieMuse, is watch all the little videos in Youtube Dorico's channel. Definetely worth the watch.>>
I have watched many of those, but a written manual is infinitely faster to read and reference than a video. Are there written transcriptions of the videos?

<<Try this page.>>
Thanks Mark, I know about that Dorico Document but it does not cover everything. Is there a document that explains every Menu command? I cannot find it.

Daniel at Steinberg

You might find it useful to be able to see, copy and select the automatic transcription of the videos in your browser. This definitely works in Chrome, but might also work in other browsers too.

First, go here:

https://rawgit.com/jerryasher/yt-transc ... ripts.html

Drag the blue link "YT Transcript Dialog" up onto your browser's bookmarks bar, so that it's always visible and you can click it.

Next, go to one of Ant's videos, e.g. this one.

In the YouTube video itself, click the little "closed captions" button so that the subtitles appear on top of the video.

Now, click the "YT Transcript Dialog" button you dragged onto the bookmarks bar. A window will appear, with all of the text from the video, ready for you to copy and paste into another application.

Unfortunately there's no punctuation in the text, because the text is created automatically by YouTube doing voice-to-text transcription on the voice-over, but hopefully it's better than nothing to get started.

Mike 999

Post by Mike 999 »

ErnieMuse wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:33 am
Is there a document that explains every Menu command? I cannot find it.
If you aren't already aware of it, go to Help-->Key Commands in Dorico to see a comprehensive list of shortcuts.
OS X 10.12.4, Intel i7 quad core, 16 GB RAM

Return to “Dorico”