OSX Lion

For users of legacy Steinberg Cubase software
HugoJacquet

OSX Lion

Post by HugoJacquet »

Hello,

I know there is an announcement about it and there is a "list" with compatible applications.

However: this list is empty up to this date...I am a Cubase 6 user and made the transition to Mac a few weeks ago. I am entitled to a free upgrade to Lion which I should claim before 30 days after....??? Apple is unclear about when: after the release of Lion? after the purchase of the computer...?

Anyway: Lion is a big update that A LOT of people will like to do IMMEDIATELY (me included). For starters only available through the APP store. You can see it coming: a lot of impulsive upgrades...

So I think Cubase should be ready BEFORE Lion is released....And so I am getting a bit worried :-)...

Hugo
Macbook Pro 2011 15 inch I7 2.0 16 gig Ram 1Tb HDD. Cubase 6, 7.5, 8, Elements 6, 7. Toneport UX8, UX2. N.I. Komplete 8 etc...

curteye
External Moderator

Re: OSX Lion

Post by curteye »

Aloha H,
I totally get your point but most of us will not 'jump' to Lion right away.

This is because we (I) have learned this lesson the hard way.

Apple sometimes makes major product shifts and
musicians (because we use so many 3rd party
products) are typically last to benefit.
This is because we have to wait for other stuff/products to 'catch up'.

I think it will be the same situation with Lion.

Also when it comes to Steinberg/Yamaha,
how will they take advantage/use these new Lion features? [C7 anybody?]

Which brings up the question:
For Cubase to remain truly 'cross platform' will certain features (Mac or Win)
not be used in Cubase because the other platform does not support them?

Interesting times ahead.
{'-'}
If yer gear ain't breakin down, you aint workin' much.

iMac 5K 4.2Gz 16GB
MBP 3.0Gz......16GB

On the side of a volcano in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.

Chris Beuermann

Post by Chris Beuermann »

SirJoseph

Post by SirJoseph »

Apple is going mobile. :( Our desktop workhorses are soon to be iPaded. I for one am APPALLED by this! I wonder how our projects will hold up in an iOS...

I HATE the App store as well. Well, kinda. Its nice, but why is it soon to be the ONLY option? One more chain to lock us down.
15" Macbook Pro Retina Late 2013 2.6 10.9+ 16gb 500GB Flash
MOTU Ultralite (2) | Focusrite Scarlet 2i4 | Presonus Eureka
Motif XS6 + FW | Fantom X6 | NI Maschine MK2 | M-Audio 61 Keystation | Korg K25
Rode NT1 | Rode NT2a | Shure BETA 87A | Audix OM2
Cubase 9.5 | Logic Pro X | FL Studio | Reason 6.5 | Maschine 2
Halion 6 | NI Komplete 11 | Arturia V Collection | EWQL Symphonic Choirs | Waves
Shure SRH840 | Pioneer SC-57 | Various Monitor Audio Silver Speakers and sub

Post by Guest »

HugoJacquet wrote:... I am entitled to a free upgrade to Lion which I should claim before 30 days after....??? Apple is unclear about when: after the release of Lion? after the purchase of the computer...?

Anyway: Lion is a big update that A LOT of people will like to do IMMEDIATELY (me included). For starters only available through the APP store. You can see it coming: a lot of impulsive upgrades...

So I think Cubase should be ready BEFORE Lion is released....And so I am getting a bit worried :-)...

Hugo
You can burn a boot disc of the download before you install Lion.
Details are here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1189888

Supposedly,the files from the Mac App Store are downloaded to
/Users/<USERNAME>/Library/Application Support/AppStore/
and once complete moved to /Applications/
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1104397

So it looks like you can receive the Lion upgrade you're entitled to, then sit on it until Cubase and important third party plug-ins are Lion compatible.

HugoJacquet

Post by HugoJacquet »

Chris Beuermann wrote:1 July:

http://www.steinberg.net/en/newsandeven ... -1604.html

Cheers,

Chris
Hey Chris,

This I know as I am saying in my first post. Lion is in July and the article you are pointing to gives no timeframe for Cubase and the list with compatible software is empty...
Macbook Pro 2011 15 inch I7 2.0 16 gig Ram 1Tb HDD. Cubase 6, 7.5, 8, Elements 6, 7. Toneport UX8, UX2. N.I. Komplete 8 etc...

HugoJacquet

Post by HugoJacquet »

Dr. V wrote:
HugoJacquet wrote:... I am entitled to a free upgrade to Lion which I should claim before 30 days after....??? Apple is unclear about when: after the release of Lion? after the purchase of the computer...?

Hugo
You can burn a boot disc of the download before you install Lion.
Details are here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1189888

Supposedly,the files from the Mac App Store are downloaded to
/Users/<USERNAME>/Library/Application Support/AppStore/
and once complete moved to /Applications/
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1104397

So it looks like you can receive the Lion upgrade you're entitled to, then sit on it until Cubase and important third party plug-ins are Lion compatible.
Hey thanks. Propably just what I needed :-)

Hugo

freak4pc

Post by freak4pc »

I am still interested why isn't there a definite answer about whether or not its working or not.
There is already a GM (Gold Master) from a week ago (which is usually similar to the final version).

Some rumors say Cubase 6 doesn't work but i'd like to hear a definite answer before deciding to upgrade or not.

Much Appreciated,
Shai.

Chris Beuermann

Hello,

Please have a look here http://www.steinberg.net/forum/viewtopi ... 19&t=10086
We aim to release the 6.0.3 update for Cubase 6 and Cubase Artist 6 by the end of July.

Apart from a small issue with VST Connections (one time reconnecting of connections required for some USB interfaces) if updating from OS X 10.6 to 10.7, Cubase 6.0.3 is OS X 10.7 Lion compatible.
Cheers,

Chris

freak4pc

Post by freak4pc »

Hey Chris, thank you - that was the answer i looked for :)

So, 6.0.2 (the latest version) will currently not work , right? And if i bought 6 a month ago, the 6.0.3 update is free if i remember correctly?

Thanks again
Shai :)

HugoJacquet

Post by HugoJacquet »

Chris Beuermann wrote:Hello,

Please have a look here http://www.steinberg.net/forum/viewtopi ... 19&t=10086
We aim to release the 6.0.3 update for Cubase 6 and Cubase Artist 6 by the end of July.

Apart from a small issue with VST Connections (one time reconnecting of connections required for some USB interfaces) if updating from OS X 10.6 to 10.7, Cubase 6.0.3 is OS X 10.7 Lion compatible.
Cheers,

Chris
Hello Chris,

Thank you. Looking forward to it :P

Best install Cubase 6.0.3 first and then update to Lion?

Hugo

-steve-
External Moderator

Re: OSX Lion - anyone going to try with 6.0.2?

Post by -steve- »

I would bet that Cubase 6.0.2 would work fine in Lion, but I don't know if I want to be a guinea pig... Anybody out there planning on doing that on a non-mission critical machine? It'd be nice to have some of the advantages of the upgrade now. (instead of in two weeks, lol. I sound addicted to upgrades. Also I got a free copy of OS 10.7 due to having bought my new Macbook Pro after June 6)
independent manufacturer rep (not a Steinberg employee)
[safe mode] [cubase manual] [score editor manual]

freak4pc

Post by freak4pc »

Usually i wouldn't mind trying but i'm just in the middle of working on some stuff that are missing critical and i can't risk that with an upgrade :) I'd love to hear about compatibility for 6.0.2 and lion if any is available (:

HugoJacquet

Post by HugoJacquet »

freak4pc wrote:Usually i wouldn't mind trying but i'm just in the middle of working on some stuff that are missing critical and i can't risk that with an upgrade :) I'd love to hear about compatibility for 6.0.2 and lion if any is available (:
Hi, Lion is a fact as of now!

From what iv'e read, Lion does NOT run or allow the installatiion of Rosetta....And I remember Cubase needing to have this installed when I installed Cubase. I think there is some old code inside a few older VSTI's that require Rosetta. And Cubase will NOT install without installing these VSTI's.

Just guessing this would be the biggest culprit...I just think it would be wise to wait for the 6.0.3 update of Cubase...

Hugo

freak4pc

Post by freak4pc »

Im pretty sure Cubase 6 is a Universal Binary, as it never requested any Rosetta support from my system ...

Let's wait for chris to confirm :) I'm trying to be optimistic :)

-steve-
External Moderator

Post by -steve- »

Cubase does not require Rosetta to run itself per several threads on the forum.

Chris Beuermann

Hello,

We recommend to wait with Lion till the Cubase 6.0.3 update

Cheers,

Chris

freak4pc

Post by freak4pc »

Despite the recommendation, will it basically work? At least for basic features? (recording/editing)

-steve-
External Moderator

Post by -steve- »

Stop asking, Chris can only say the official word on this, as well he should.

If someone tries it we will know, if not it's only ten days till the target release of 6.0.3.

freak4pc

Post by freak4pc »

With all due respect a forum is for public discussion :) As long as my words don't harm anyone I see no reason for a problem :P

Those who look for answers must ask questions :)

HugoJacquet

Post by HugoJacquet »

freak4pc wrote:Im pretty sure Cubase 6 is a Universal Binary, as it never requested any Rosetta support from my system ...

Let's wait for chris to confirm :) I'm trying to be optimistic :)
It did on my system...And that is before installing any 3rd party plugins...

Read this, with official statements from Steinberg:

http://www.steinberg.net/forum/viewtopi ... =19&t=3211

Hugo

Post by Guest »

freak4pc wrote:Hey Chris, thank you - that was the answer i looked for :)

So, 6.0.2 (the latest version) will currently not work , right? And if i bought 6 a month ago, the 6.0.3 update is free if i remember correctly?

Thanks again
6.0.2 will work too. There are some minor issues and we will populate the mentioned KB article tomorrow with some more information. Currently, older HALion versions and its derivates and Nuendo 5.x won't work or won't work properly but it looks good for Cubase.

Post by Guest »

Thanks Chris and Eckhard for the excellent communication, much appreciated. 8-)

HugoJacquet

Post by HugoJacquet »

mashedmitten wrote:Thanks Chris and Eckhard for the excellent communication, much appreciated. 8-)
+1 (or 2)

Hugo

freak4pc

Post by freak4pc »

EdDoll wrote:
freak4pc wrote:Hey Chris, thank you - that was the answer i looked for :)

Thanks again
6.0.2 will work too. There are some minor issues and we will populate the mentioned KB article tomorrow with some more information. Currently, older HALion versions and its derivates and Nuendo 5.x won't work or won't work properly but it looks good for Cubase.
Perfect answer :)) Thank you!

Return to “Older Cubase versions”