Cubase 9 trial?

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 9, Cubase Artist 9 and Cubase Elements 9 here.
L.F.

Cubase 9 trial?

Post by L.F. »

When can we expect a trial version of v9?
I, for one, am not upgrading my v8.5 until I give v9 a good testing.
DAW: Cubase Pro 9 (x64)
CPU: Intel i7 930
MB: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
RAM: 3x 2GB DDR3
GPU: GF GTX 660 2048MB
Sound: E-mu 1212M, Traktor Audio 2
HDD: Intel 320 SSD, 3x Seagate SATA
Monitoring: Dynaudio BM6A Mk2 + BM9S Sub
DSP: UAD-2 Duo
USB: Virus Ti, BCF2000, Novation Remote SL...

shadowfax

Re: Cubase 9 trial?

Post by shadowfax »

L.F. wrote:When can we expect a trial version of v9?
Same here..can't think what's got into people buying something without testing it first...go figure :? :?
from what I'm reading on the forum it seems highly unlikely I'll be buying this 9 thingy..nothing there to interest me..
also cannot think why I'd buy something that's gonna blacklist plugins.. :roll: :roll:

interesting they never release the trial at the same time as you can give yer hard earned cash for it...
https://soundcloud.com/knmac ... Cubase 10.5..Windows 10..Intel Core i9 9900K Coffee Lake Refresh 3.6GHz Eight Core 1151 Socket Overclockable Processor, WD Black WDS250G3X0C SN750 - 250GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD, ASRock AMD Radeon RX580 8GB OC Phantom Gaming D Dual Fan Graphics Card,
Gigabyte Z390 GAMING X Intel Socket 1151 ATX HDMI DDR4 USB C 3.1 M.2 Motherboard, 32GB ram, 2x Team GX2 1TB SATA III SSD. Yamaha N8.

Grim
Grand Senior Member

Post by Grim »

Can't imagine why people would want to continue running rogue plugs, possibly causing stability or performance issues, without at least knowing what they were.
i7 5820k @3.7Ghz, 16Gb, W10Pro, Cubase 9.0x, Cubase 8.5.x, Audient iD22, Zoom UAC-2, Wavelab Elements 9.x, Nektar Impact GX61

-steve-
External Moderator

Post by -steve- »

shadowfax wrote:interesting they never release the trial at the same time as you can give yer hard earned cash for it...
What, you think there is some kind of underhanded deviousness going on? Your posts of innuendo like this leaves me scratching my head, (or shaking it)... what you're implying has no basis in fact.

L.F.

Post by L.F. »

SteveInChicago wrote:
shadowfax wrote:interesting they never release the trial at the same time as you can give yer hard earned cash for it...
What, you think there is some kind of underhanded deviousness going on? Your posts of innuendo like this leaves me scratching my head, (or shaking it)... what you're implying has no basis in fact.
Really? You're telling me your marketing/sales team never figured out that a lack of a trial version at launch boosts upgrade sales? That the same team who so masterfully crafted those "C9 new features" videos to boost C9 desirability didn't realize that more users will upgrade if that is the only way to check the new features?

Because if that's the case, you really need to hire a new marketing/sales team.

Perhaps instead of trying to convince people of your pure intentions, we could get back on the topic of the thread, and you could tell us when there's a trial version planned?
Thanks
DAW: Cubase Pro 9 (x64)
CPU: Intel i7 930
MB: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
RAM: 3x 2GB DDR3
GPU: GF GTX 660 2048MB
Sound: E-mu 1212M, Traktor Audio 2
HDD: Intel 320 SSD, 3x Seagate SATA
Monitoring: Dynaudio BM6A Mk2 + BM9S Sub
DSP: UAD-2 Duo
USB: Virus Ti, BCF2000, Novation Remote SL...

-steve-
External Moderator

Post by -steve- »

I'm an external moderator and I do not represent SB. But I can say like anyone else, that from past experience the trial versions come out about a month after the release. Also this question has been answered. A search for 'trial release' found a thread quickly.

planarchist

Post by planarchist »

Don't think Steve is a Steinberg employee..... (posting at the the same time as him I now see).

Leaving that aside, I'm sure more initial sales are generated by not releasing a trial at first release but whether they affect overall sales numbers is hard to tell.

Historically, the demo versions tend to be released at the same time as the first major update (IIRC a couple of months?).....some argue that this is to iron out bugs before a demo is released which sounds sensible and presumably if early users find major bugs or many minor bugs this timing can be affected.

FWIW I've already upgraded my copy of Elements to 9 for my Laptop without a demo and so far it looks good enough for me to want to upgrade my 8.5 Pro too.
Nic

Cubase Pro 10.5, Abs.Collec.3, i7 4770K 3.5GHz, 32 Gig RAM, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, RME Digiface, Behringer ADA8200, S'berg Midex 8.
Cubase Pro 10.5. Abs.Collec.3, i7 920 2.67Ghz , 24Gig RAM, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit , Steinberg CI2+.

Cubase Elements 9.40 on Windows 10 Laptop, i7-2760QM 8Gig RAM, Sonic Port VX.
Cubasis 2.5 iPad Mini 4 64GB

My Cubase recorded songs here (also on most other streaming services).... https://open.spotify.com/artist/6rHmZY1IPskvtYL1Zzw6Vy

jimmys69

Post by jimmys69 »

shadowfax wrote:
L.F. wrote:When can we expect a trial version of v9?
Same here..can't think what's got into people buying something without testing it first...go figure :? :?
from what I'm reading on the forum it seems highly unlikely I'll be buying this 9 thingy..nothing there to interest me..
also cannot think why I'd buy something that's gonna blacklist plugins.. :roll: :roll:

interesting they never release the trial at the same time as you can give yer hard earned cash for it...
You always seem so angry. Why?

And I do not understand why you would think that 'Plug-in Sentinel' is not a great thing. It tells you that certain plugs are not up to date and need addressing. WIN!

I have seen your posts regarding issues with Cubase. I can only guess, but I bet some of that was due to 3rd party/crappy written plugs. There is just no reason for Cubase to not run properly if you have a computer and plugs that run it. Cubase isn't the problem as I have never had an issue that was not VST plug or hardware related.

It is a different perspective for users of Cubase that have systems that run flawless with it. I myself have such a system and I updated immediately. That is because all updates and newer versions have always new features/updates that I find worth the cost. Obviously thousands did as well as it took a few times to get Elicenser to update.

I do not believe they hold off on the trial to look for bugs. I have never seen an update come before a release of trial version. But who knows. Either way, I am happy and do not have anything bad to say about the update. If $100 is too much for you to test it,, then chill until the trial comes out. Nobody twisting your arm...

It seems you (Shadowfax) are impatiently curious, but yet complaining before you have anything to complain about other than listening to those adamant in complaining.

I personally find it annoying (and ironically amusing) that this forum is filled with members incessant complaining about every update. There is other software if Cubase upsets you so much.
PC Win7-64-16G i7-4790k/Cubase 5-6-7 32 bit, Cubase 8-9 Pro 64-bit/2-Steinberg UR824's/ADAM A7X/Event TR8/SS Trigger Plat Deluxe/Melodyne Editor

jjvibes

Post by jjvibes »

oh man....I have to say from looking / reading other forums seem healthier ...Steinberg folks seem not happy...although I am sure there are MANY folks that ARE happy..it makes me sad as a new daw person to wonder about the community and product. I have a little time off during the holidays so I hope I get to trial it. if not I am going with cakewalk..
james m Johnson
windows 10
1 TB SSD, 24gb ram, roland duo capture ex

shadowfax

Post by shadowfax »

L.F. wrote:
SteveInChicago wrote:
Really? You're telling me your marketing/sales team never figured out that a lack of a trial version at launch boosts upgrade sales? That the same team who so masterfully crafted those "C9 new features" videos to boost C9 desirability didn't realize that more users will upgrade if that is the only way to check the new features?

Because if that's the case, you really need to hire a new marketing/sales team.

Perhaps instead of trying to convince people of your pure intentions, we could get back on the topic of the thread, and you could tell us when there's a trial version planned?
Thanks

What he/she said!!! it's clearly cynical business practice..no doubt about it..
https://soundcloud.com/knmac ... Cubase 10.5..Windows 10..Intel Core i9 9900K Coffee Lake Refresh 3.6GHz Eight Core 1151 Socket Overclockable Processor, WD Black WDS250G3X0C SN750 - 250GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD, ASRock AMD Radeon RX580 8GB OC Phantom Gaming D Dual Fan Graphics Card,
Gigabyte Z390 GAMING X Intel Socket 1151 ATX HDMI DDR4 USB C 3.1 M.2 Motherboard, 32GB ram, 2x Team GX2 1TB SATA III SSD. Yamaha N8.

shadowfax

Post by shadowfax »

Grim wrote:Can't imagine why people would want to continue running rogue plugs, possibly causing stability or performance issues, without at least knowing what they were.
I've used and am currently using Cubase 8.5 with all legal 64 bit plugs..and the perfonce meter keeps hitting the red..
also some peeps have said that sentinal has even blacklisted some of Steinbergs own plugs...
beyond crazy..

Grim
Grand Senior Member

Post by Grim »

I've used and am currently using Cubase 8.5 with all legal 64 bit plugs..and the perfonce meter keeps hitting the red..
All the more reason you should want to ascertain if any of them are causing problems....surely :?
i7 5820k @3.7Ghz, 16Gb, W10Pro, Cubase 9.0x, Cubase 8.5.x, Audient iD22, Zoom UAC-2, Wavelab Elements 9.x, Nektar Impact GX61

vinark

Post by vinark »

shadowfax wrote:
Didn't blacklist any (zero) here on windows. Only if you have lots of 32 bit plugs and don't want to use jbridge (using it for years), then you have an issue.
Mac is a little different as there was a bug in the OSX software that causes some to blacklist.

shadowfax

Post by shadowfax »

Grim wrote:
All the more reason you should want to ascertain if any of them are causing problems....surely :?
they don't cause problems in other DAW's...

shadowfax

Post by shadowfax »

vinark wrote:
shadowfax wrote:
Didn't blacklist any (zero) here on windows. Only if you have lots of 32 bit plugs and don't want to use jbridge (using it for years), then you have an issue.
Mac is a little different as there was a bug in the OSX software that causes some to blacklist.
Not using any 32bit plugs..and from the comments on the forum it isn't only 32 bit plugs that are being blacklisted..

shadowfax

Post by shadowfax »

SteveInChicago wrote:

If it's good enough to sell why is is it not good enough to try?

planarchist

Post by planarchist »

FWIW a quick search on the Forum showed these historical trial release dates (and in each case the version was released at the beginning of December the previous year):

8.5: Trial released 6th Jan
8.0: Trial released 7th April
7.5: Trial released 26th Feb
7.0: Trial released 28th Feb.

So looks like those waiting for a trial have got at least a month (as previously suggested by others....)

Share and Enjoy!
Nic

Cubase Pro 10.5, Abs.Collec.3, i7 4770K 3.5GHz, 32 Gig RAM, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, RME Digiface, Behringer ADA8200, S'berg Midex 8.
Cubase Pro 10.5. Abs.Collec.3, i7 920 2.67Ghz , 24Gig RAM, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit , Steinberg CI2+.

Cubase Elements 9.40 on Windows 10 Laptop, i7-2760QM 8Gig RAM, Sonic Port VX.
Cubasis 2.5 iPad Mini 4 64GB

My Cubase recorded songs here (also on most other streaming services).... https://open.spotify.com/artist/6rHmZY1IPskvtYL1Zzw6Vy

Thohi

Post by Thohi »

Hold the phone.. Blacklisting plugins?

I mean, I'm all for getting a heads-up if a plugin might be potentially problematic, but I have a whole bunch of plugins collected over time that I would like to use, even if they can be unstable. Why is that not my own decision?

shadowfax

Post by shadowfax »

Thohi wrote:Hold the phone.. Blacklisting plugins?

I mean, I'm all for getting a heads-up if a plugin might be potentially problematic, but I have a whole bunch of plugins collected over time that I would like to use, even if they can be unstable. Why is that not my own decision?
Seems to be the way of the future :( microsoft own your computer if you upgrade to ten and now Steinberg tell you can't use your 32 bit plugs..if you buy 9 that is...which I will not be doing :) Mixbus is my go to DAW now, it has everything i need (not being a power user) and the mixer is awesome..makes me realise what a mess the Cubase mixer is..just need Cubase for now to consolidate projects before moving them to Mixbus..

best, Kevin

vinark

Post by vinark »

They are blacklisted if they crash during start-up, not potentially crash. Only on mac it is a little different. There there is a plugin bug that crashed the host on exit. Those are blacklisted but you could work with them until you exit (or maybe unload them). But you can unblacklist them.
But the blacklist was also there in C8 and earlier, but invisible unless you open a xml file. It is more manageable now!

fuzzydude

Post by fuzzydude »

shadowfax wrote:

Seems to be the way of the future :( microsoft own your computer if you upgrade to ten and now Steinberg tell you can't use your 32 bit plugs..if you buy 9 that is...which I will not be doing :) Mixbus is my go to DAW now, it has everything i need (not being a power user) and the mixer is awesome..makes me realise what a mess the Cubase mixer is..just need Cubase for now to consolidate projects before moving them to Mixbus..

best, Kevin
shadowfax, why all the fuss? It seems your workflow is simple enough to warrant using a DAW like Mixbus. It's great you've been able to come to that conclusion. With the range of work that I do, it couldn't come close on its own to serving my needs. As for 32bit plugs, I migrated away and haven't purchased any in a long time for what must seem to most as blatantly obvious reasons. When it comes to older sessions, you can of course just load up an older version of Cubase. I understand the trial will be out in a month and personally I think its a great little update and am very happy with the plugin sentinel. Long overdue in my opinion. They needed to start heading down the AAX style route to help ensure stability moving forward by enforcing stricter standards.

On a side note, I use VE Pro and run all my instruments and some audio channels through it. I do a lot of orchestral stuff so the session templates are huge. If the 32 bit plugs you'll miss are mostly instruments you can load them into VE Pro without issue. It's a possible way of having your cake and eating it. As it runs separately from Cubase its frees up the audio engine. My experience of it from early V5 has been nothing but flawless e.g. Running 60 x Kontakt and 30 x other is not unusual with a buffer setting of 128, it doesn't break a sweat. The earlier bugs with Cubase have been fixed as far as I can tell. The VE pro session is saved with Cubase so a couple of clicks and your session is back up in full. It also means that should you wish, you can use the instruments created in the VE Pro session in another compatible DAW.
Comps+OS: PC's (Win 10 1903) - Mac Pro (Catalina) - MacBook Pro (Moave) I Nuendo 10 | Cubase Pro 10 I Wavelab 9.5 Pro

shadowfax

Post by shadowfax »

No fuss mate..just a discussion...what you call a simple workflow is what was used to produce every famous piece of music you can think of..(pre digital of course)...so why should it get more complicated?
I was getting carried away with the update frenzy but Mixbus has made me realise you just don't need it..
of course..updates to fix stuff yeah..but, you know what I mean.. :)
we are way past what any muso needs to produce music..IMHO..

best, Kevin :)

fuzzydude

Post by fuzzydude »

shadowfax wrote:No fuss mate..just a discussion...what you call a simple workflow is what was used to produce every famous piece of music you can think of..(pre digital of course)...so why should it get more complicated?
I was getting carried away with the update frenzy but Mixbus has made me realise you just don't need it..
of course..updates to fix stuff yeah..but, you know what I mean.. :)
we are way past what any muso needs to produce music..IMHO..

best, Kevin :)
I totally get it Kevin. Up until about 5 years ago I'd of said the same. But the way I work now with producers, agencies and post studios, including some of the more specialist stuff I do, there's no way the workflow and tools of old would be able to cut it. E.g. total recall of a complex 400+ track post session just to make a minor tweak, 5 mins before the feature goes live! It's not at all uncommon. I'd of needed that 5 mins back in the day just to make of cup of tea and enjoy a biscuit! I've guided many onto simpler workflows that just don't need the feature set of some of the major DAW's. I even had one client send me an EP he'd recorded and partially mixed on an iPad!! :shock: The thing is, it wasn't at all bad and better than some sessions sent to me recorded using one of the major DAW's. The iPad worked for him, he got creative with what he had and could easily get to grips with. So you're right, you don't need a mass of tech to make and record great music. But today's tech is really helping making it accessible to all. The fact that we now have a vast range of tools to suit almost everyone can't be a bad thing. Let's face it, who buys a hammer just to crack an egg? It makes sense as you seem to have done, to try out and choose your music making and production tools just as wisely, so you end up with something that helps rather than hinders. Cheers :)
Comps+OS: PC's (Win 10 1903) - Mac Pro (Catalina) - MacBook Pro (Moave) I Nuendo 10 | Cubase Pro 10 I Wavelab 9.5 Pro

srmusic

Post by srmusic »

Cubase 9 pro looks fantastic with all new functions,but i don't like the fact that trial version is limited within 30 days.It would be better Cubase 9 pro trial version to be like trial versions of Nuendo or Wavelab where they last 250 hours(without time limitation).

fuzzydude

Post by fuzzydude »

srmusic wrote:Cubase 9 pro looks fantastic with all new functions,but i don't like the fact that trial version is limited within 30 days.It would be better Cubase 9 pro trial version to be like trial versions of Nuendo or Wavelab where they last 250 hours(without time limitation).
Why do you feel this is necessary, warranted or possibly deserved?

Return to “General”