List of Keyboard Shortcuts and other things

Discussions about our next-generation scoring application, Dorico.
bequadro

List of Keyboard Shortcuts and other things

Post by bequadro » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:18 pm

Is there a list of keyboard shortcuts or other unknown shortcuts like

typing 3f to but three flats as your key signature or typing c,1 for common time with one quarter-note pick-up.

Thanks
Nick Farrell

Rinaldo

Re: List of Keyboard Shortcuts and other things

Post by Rinaldo » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:10 pm

I found several screens' worth of keyboard equivalents and shortcuts yesterday, though now I'm having trouble locating them again :? ....

It occurs to me that having a page or pages of keyboard shortcuts like this available, in a format that would be "printable" (i.e., is designed to format neatly for standard paper sizes), would be a most welcome element, hopefully not too hard to make available even at this early stage, and would go a long way to make up for the lack of a full manual -- it would be like the laminated cards that Finale used to include in its upgrade boxes decades ago, but we'd print it ourselves. I'm enjoying the process of getting to know Dorico, but I don't quite have all the keypresses memorized at this point (it gets harder with advancing years), and having a memory aid beside the monitor would certainly speed up the process.
Delaware, US       MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, early 2015) OS 10.14   8 GB       
Sibelius 2019 | Finale v25 | Dorico 3
[Retired] Associate Professor (music theory, history, & orchestration)       Editor of critical full-score editions

chaperoni

Post by chaperoni » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:15 pm

I found them under Help menu, although I think there were some minor display errors in the webpage.

Anthony at Steinberg
Steinberg Employee

Post by Anthony at Steinberg » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:22 pm

Yes, Dorico's keyboard shortcuts can be viewed by selecting Help > Key Commands. They can also be extensively configured in Preferences > Key Commands.

However, what I think you're really after Nick is a list of what you can type into the popovers in order to create all the various musical objects quickly. We're looking into ways that we could make that information more easily available.

bequadro

Post by bequadro » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:56 pm

Yes, That is what I am looking for. Coming from Sibelius I did everything with shortcuts and specialty keys. I am loving how I basically have to do nothing with the layout in Dorico. Just need to get use to the new layout and shortcuts, but it is worth the time for such a great program.

Is there a way to have the notes play in the score when selecting them with the arrows/mouse or when adding them during note input.

Nick

PaulWalmsley
Steinberg Employee

Post by PaulWalmsley » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:59 pm

Not currently, but this is on our list of things to do soon.
Architect & Developer - Steinberg London

chaperoni

Post by chaperoni » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:31 pm

The pop over feels a little bit like "code completion" from a code editor, little context sensitive predictions that adjust to what you are typing. Something like that would be nice, offering the most common suggestions and refining them as you give more options.

Derrek

Post by Derrek » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:48 pm

I'd love to see a list of shortcuts in RTF format so that I could (re)sort the functions alphabetically and create a one-page cheat sheet to avoid having to divert to the help screen while I work.
Dorico 3.0.10, Finale (v26), GPO, JABB3, GWI, NotePerformer 3, CuBase Pro 10.5 newbie
Windows 10 (also Mac Mojave as alternate)
US English Keyboard

RamblerL

Post by RamblerL » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:24 am

I found this to be pretty handy: http://localhost:61183/dorico/keycommands/

Rinaldo

Post by Rinaldo » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:56 pm

That link doesn't work for me ("can't connect to server localhost").

For the keyboard shortcuts in general, one mildly worrying element (again, on 2 days' acquaintance, so FWIW) is that despite all the assurances in advance and on the tutorial videos that only the standard keyboard will be needed, no numeric keypad etc., the key diagrams on the help pages, and the list of functions under them, consistently identify numeric keypad as essential. (I say "mildly worrying" because I do in fact have a USB keypad, so I can deal; but this sounds like the policy has changed.)
Last edited by Rinaldo on Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delaware, US       MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, early 2015) OS 10.14   8 GB       
Sibelius 2019 | Finale v25 | Dorico 3
[Retired] Associate Professor (music theory, history, & orchestration)       Editor of critical full-score editions

Rob Tuley

Post by Rob Tuley » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:31 pm

That help page looks wrong to me. I think the labels on the keypad should be on the corresponding keys on the main keyboard.

thefilmscore

Post by thefilmscore » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:34 pm

RamblerL wrote:I found this to be pretty handy: http://localhost:61183/dorico/keycommands/
Localhost is your computer, this html page is stored within Dorico.

Derrek

Post by Derrek » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:20 pm

I'd like to know if NUMPAD actually means the separate number pad (mine has no equals on it) or whether it just (or also) means the number row across the top of the keyboard.

I spent part of this morning transcribing the data into a spreadsheet so I can sort commands into a format more useful to me. When I get it done, I'll post a zip of the spreadsheet, if that's okay, so others can use and sort it to their specs.
Dorico 3.0.10, Finale (v26), GPO, JABB3, GWI, NotePerformer 3, CuBase Pro 10.5 newbie
US English Keyboard

islandmusicpro

Post by islandmusicpro » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:35 pm

Wouldn't it be cool if we had a graphical way of entering key commands, maybe even using that HTML sheet that comes with Dorico? Or even various templates for use with a laptop keyboard, a full size keyboard and a mouse keyboard combo?
As much as I understand where the "laptop keyboard only" thing is coming from, I feel limited with my larger setup...

Benji
Cubase Pro 10, Windows 10
Synthogy Ivory 2, UAD2 Duo PCIe 9.1,
Superior Drummer 2, PLAY 5,
Kontakt 5, Ozone 7 Advanced
Sibelius 7.5.1, Dorico Pro 3
i7 3770K Gigabyte Z77-UD5H 32GB
http://www.yourmusic.pro

ChrisW

Post by ChrisW » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:58 pm

Derrek wrote:I'd like to know if NUMPAD actually means the separate number pad (mine has no equals on it) or whether it just (or also) means the number row across the top of the keyboard.

I spent part of this morning transcribing the data into a spreadsheet so I can sort commands into a format more useful to me. When I get it done, I'll post a zip of the spreadsheet, if that's okay, so others can use and sort it to their specs.
Derrek, did you ever finish your spreadsheet? I for one would find it really useful.

Thanks

Chris
MacBook Pro 13" Intel Core i5 2.5Ghz 8GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.11.6, Steinberg UR12, Cubase 9.0.1, Dorico 1.0.20, Sibelius 7.5, Finale 2012c, Komplete 9, HALion 5.1.1.60

MarcLarcher
Grand Senior Member

Post by MarcLarcher » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:35 pm

I downloaded his spreadsheet and translated it into french… but that was a time when the help provided by Dorico was not accurate or missing lots of things. Since November, the keyboard help provided is good, so you should explore the help menu ;-)
OS X 10.14.6, macbook pro retina Late 2013
Opera singer (lyric tenor), photographer, sound engineer, XeLaTeX user and music engraver (Dorico Pro 3.0.10, and Photoscore Ultimate 8.8.7)
French is my native language

ChrisW

Post by ChrisW » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:38 pm

MarcLarcher wrote:I downloaded his spreadsheet and translated it into french… but that was a time when the help provided by Dorico was not accurate or missing lots of things. Since November, the keyboard help provided is good, so you should explore the help menu ;-)
Yes, the keyboard help is very good, but I can't find a way to access it from my iPad - so a separate list would be very useful. I guess though as you learn the shortcuts, there'll be less need to look things up.

EDIT I've just found the print summary button in the Key Command prefs - I've successfully saved the list to a PDF, which I can look at on my iPad.
MacBook Pro 13" Intel Core i5 2.5Ghz 8GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.11.6, Steinberg UR12, Cubase 9.0.1, Dorico 1.0.20, Sibelius 7.5, Finale 2012c, Komplete 9, HALion 5.1.1.60

Derrek

Post by Derrek » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:39 pm

This is the latest version I have. Enjoy, and modify if you wish.
doricoKeyCommands161225.zip
(13.37 KiB) Downloaded 681 times
US English Keyboard

ChrisW

Post by ChrisW » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:00 pm

Thanks Derrek, that looks excellent.

Stephen Taylor

Post by Stephen Taylor » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:38 am

On the html Dorico Key Commands page for the Mac, under English US keyboard, Command is listed properly as "Command"; but Option is listed as "Alt", and Control is listed as "Meta". The note durations are also listed as crotchet, minim etc.

At some point could you please change these to more standard Mac terminology, at least for the US?

It would also be nice to have a "laptop keyboard" option as well as the full keyboard which is shown in the illustration - maybe you already have this on your to do list.
Dorico Pro, Sibelius 7.5, Logic Pro, Max, Kyma; 2015 MacBook Pro
www.stephenandrewtaylor.net

th3ben

Re: List of Keyboard Shortcuts

Post by th3ben » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:05 pm

Hi!
In ordner to learn how Dorico works and to be faster with the keyboard I made myself a printable key command cheat-sheet. I used Derrek's excel-files as template and sorted the commands by category + added new commands from v1.1. Thank you @Derrek for sharing these files!

You can get it here, if you like:
PDF (4 pages): https://github.com/bbelius/notation/raw ... tSheet.pdf
Docx: https://github.com/bbelius/notation/raw ... Sheet.docx
Markdown: https://github.com/bbelius/notation/blo ... atSheet.md

Feel free to use and modify!

andgle

Post by andgle » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:16 pm

th3ben wrote:Hi!
In ordner to learn how Dorico works and to be faster with the keyboard I made myself a printable key command cheat-sheet. I used Derrek's excel-files as template and sorted the commands by category + added new commands from v1.1. Thank you @Derrek for sharing these files!

Thank you, this is great!
Anders

bobk

Post by bobk » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:57 pm

th3ben wrote:Hi!

Fantastic! A great help and it looks great too.

Thanks, th3ben!

Bob
Bob

Dorico Pro 3.0 | --- | Cubase 10 Pro | --- | Hackintosh i9-9900k | Mac OS 10.14.6 |---| MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) | 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 | Mac OS 10.14.6 |---| Metric Halo ULN-8 3d

nunocasteleira

Post by nunocasteleira » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:41 pm

I see you used markdown and git. Using pandoc it should be simple to implement a typesetting mechanic to produce a collaborative and always up-to-date cheatsheet. I'll see what I can do with it. If I'd be successful I'll do a pull request. Is that ok with you?

th3ben

Post by th3ben » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:51 am

Yes, feel free to do a pull request. I like the idea of collaborating.
Pandoc is new to me, but it looks fine.
Thank you!
Ben
Technical Support - Vienna Symphonic Library (since August 2019)

Return to “Dorico”