What midi hardware do you use, works ?

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 8, Cubase Artist 8 and Cubase Elements 8 here.
indiescore

What midi hardware do you use, works ?

Post by indiescore »

Having a lot of trouble with cubase 8.5 and motu midi express 128 hardware, of which the driver had not been updated in years.

Upon start up about 50 % of the time one of these issues occur:
All channels frozen ( lit up on 128 device ) btw I tried a different 128 device I have 4.
128 Midi does not load in cubase, it's gone in the device window
OR
Midi shows in devices in cubase however if doesn't work, transmit to my gear.

A restart of cubase, or restart of the PC, or reloading drivers will fix it.....the solution is random
Windows 10 w latest update
Cubase 10 pro w latest update
INTEL CORE I7-4790K 4.0 GHZ + 10 % over clock , water cooled.
32GB DDR3 2133 MHZ
GIGABYTE Z97X-GAMING 7 Motherboard
Project drive M.2. Form factor , SSD
2x internal SSD, 2x external SSD USB 3

Martin.Jirsak
Forum Elder

Re: What midi hardware do you use, works ?

Post by Martin.Jirsak »

Hi,

I'm using the smaller MOTU Express version (5 MIDI Ports). No problem on Mac. MOTU is the most stable MIDI Device I ever have.
Martin Jirsak
How to show notes of the chord/scale only
Cubase Training

Cubase Pro (last officially supported version all the time)
macOS (last update)

indiescore

Post by indiescore »

Martin.Jirsak wrote:Hi,

I'm using the smaller MOTU Express version (5 MIDI Ports). No problem on Mac. MOTU is the most stable MIDI Device I ever have.

Thanks Martin I hope to hear from others, maybe it's a windows issue.
32GB DDR3 2133 MHZ

peakae
Grand Senior Member

Post by peakae »

Are you sure that its not a cable problem
Cubase Pro 10, Wavelab Elements 9, I7 3770K , win10x64, 16Gb Ram, RME Raydat, Steinberg MR816x, Motu 828mkII, Behringer ADA8200, Yamaha moXF6, Steinberg UR242, Yamaha THR 10, Grace Design m900, CMC TP, CMC CH.

indiescore

Post by indiescore »

peakae wrote:Are you sure that its not a cable problem
I wish...ruled that out. What works for you?
32GB DDR3 2133 MHZ

Mrhehon

Post by Mrhehon »

ESI - M8U XL
8x8 midi interface no problems windows 10.
Windows 10 pro
Cubase Pro 10
PC i7 920@2.67 GHz (10 years old but still doing it for me) 16GB ram
2xMR816 CSX FireWire Audio Interfaces
CC121 controller
Nektar P6

indiescore

Post by indiescore »

Mrhehon wrote:ESI - M8U XL
8x8 midi interface no problems windows 10.

It's NLA but still good to know , thx, I am looking at Iconnectivity midi online.......might go that route
32GB DDR3 2133 MHZ

peakae
Grand Senior Member

Post by peakae »

I doubt very much that is has anything to do with the Motu 128. More likely is that USB ports gets turned off to conserve power, look at advanced power settings.
Or that you are using a usb3 port or a hub ?
Cubase Pro 10, Wavelab Elements 9, I7 3770K , win10x64, 16Gb Ram, RME Raydat, Steinberg MR816x, Motu 828mkII, Behringer ADA8200, Yamaha moXF6, Steinberg UR242, Yamaha THR 10, Grace Design m900, CMC TP, CMC CH.

indiescore

Post by indiescore »

peakae wrote:I doubt very much that is has anything to do with the Motu 128. More likely is that USB ports gets turned off to conserve power, look at advanced power settings.
Or that you are using a usb3 port or a hub ?
Yes have a 10 port hub that is USB 3, I tried running the motu direct into PC and still had issues....i don't think it's a power setting since the issue only happens on boot up.....on occasion ...but I will take a look...

I think it's the motu drivers, because a driver reinstall restores it to normal, drivers haven't beeen updated in three years...that's a little suspect
32GB DDR3 2133 MHZ

matjones

Post by matjones »

I used to get a similar issue years ago and got round it by only plugging the motu unit in when it was actually needed, that way it would always pick up the driver with no issues.
Obviously though you need reasonable access to either end of the usb cable for it to be an easy workaround.
hope that's of some help.
Cubase 10.5.12 Asus Z390-Plus, i9 9900 @ (3.7) 5GHz, 64GB DDR4 3000Mhz RAM, RME Multiface II PCIe, SSL Alpha Channel/Fusion, UAD2 Octo/Solo/Quad, UA6176, Neve 8801/8803, Loads of plugs, WL10, Melodyne Studio 5, Arturia VC7, iZotope MPS, Eventide XI, Various toys, Telefunken, Neumann, AKG, Austrian Audio, Sontronics, Shure Mics, Adam A7X and Avantone monitors, AKG K702, ATH-M70x, Nektar P6, Warwick, Spector Basses, Gibson Les Paul Studio & loads of other junk.

Minds are like parachutes, they work best when they're open.

indiescore

Post by indiescore »

matjones wrote:I used to get a similar issue years ago and got round it by only plugging the motu unit in when it was actually needed, that way it would always pick up the driver with no issues.
Obviously though you need reasonable access to either end of the usb cable for it to be an easy workaround.
Thx.. I have a lot of external gear so it's needed ever time but maybe booting up first, then plug in the motu , then launch cubase will reduce the errors, is this what you did when needed? I do have easy access to the USB.
32GB DDR3 2133 MHZ

matjones

Post by matjones »

indiescore wrote:
matjones wrote:I used to get a similar issue years ago and got round it by only plugging the motu unit in when it was actually needed, that way it would always pick up the driver with no issues.
Thx.. I have a lot of external gear so it's needed ever time but maybe booting up first, then plug in the motu , then launch cubase will reduce the errors, is this what you did when needed? I do have easy access to the USB.
Yep that's exactly what i did, still do actually as i'm using external synths less and less these days, 9/10 times though i fire up cubase and THEN remember to fire the motu up.... unfortunately you have to quit cubase and fire the motu up first as cubase won't pick it up if you do it the other way round....
Cubase 10.5.12 Asus Z390-Plus, i9 9900 @ (3.7) 5GHz, 64GB DDR4 3000Mhz RAM, RME Multiface II PCIe, SSL Alpha Channel/Fusion, UAD2 Octo/Solo/Quad, UA6176, Neve 8801/8803, Loads of plugs, WL10, Melodyne Studio 5, Arturia VC7, iZotope MPS, Eventide XI, Various toys, Telefunken, Neumann, AKG, Austrian Audio, Sontronics, Shure Mics, Adam A7X and Avantone monitors, AKG K702, ATH-M70x, Nektar P6, Warwick, Spector Basses, Gibson Les Paul Studio & loads of other junk.

ZeroZero

Post by ZeroZero »

I have been having issues with an Akai Advance 25, a well built keyboard with good integration when it works. Frequently, MIDI vanishes

I have been told/heard that the quality of a SUB cable connection matters. I am not sure if its true, but should be ruled out

http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-xp-tips ... sb-device/

I shall try this
Cubase 9, 64 bit Intel 8700k, Asus Rog Strix z390 mobo, 64 gig RAM PC, Win10, Focusrite Liquid 56 Running in Surround 5.1 British Rail sandwich circa 1967, a singing fish and an inert K9.

http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Zero_Zero

peakae
Grand Senior Member

Post by peakae »

BTW I'm using a cheap miditech 4x4, it is class compliant and does not need drivers.

indiescore

Post by indiescore »

matjones wrote:
indiescore wrote:
Yep that's exactly what i did, still do actually as i'm using external synths less and less these days, 9/10 times though i fire up cubase and THEN remember to fire the motu up.... unfortunately you have to quit cubase and fire the motu up first as cubase won't pick it up if you do it the other way round....
You might have solved this.. 8-) ....so far it's working great if I boot up and then plug in motu midi......will test through the weekend.

But what does this tell us, I really think the motu drivers and windows do not work well together. I don't think it's cubase.

Also I was getting random Audio static as if my word clock was malfunctioning along with the midi issue, I have motu avb audio cards......that also seems to be gone now.
32GB DDR3 2133 MHZ

matjones

Post by matjones »

Nice one!

Glad to see it's working for you too, i've not had one failure in many years with this method.

uskiano

Post by uskiano »

Focusrite 2i4 virus ti, nordlead2x, cubase8. DOES NOT WORK!
They work separately but together they crash!
I have contacted all brands and they just send me to the other third party to fix it! :lol:

indiescore

Post by indiescore »

matjones wrote:Nice one!

Glad to see it's working for you too, i've not had one failure in many years with this method.
It's back , this method has reduced the error rate, but after a week of daily studio use, I am seeing the same issues.

Will call motu tech support Monday but I think I Am going to have to try another brand midi device. I doubt 3 year old drivers can be saved, it's too bad motu does not continue to support the express 128, I will post an update once this is sorted out.
32GB DDR3 2133 MHZ

Floris

Post by Floris »

fwiw, Motu Midi Timepiece works flawlessly here on win7. Never had any problems with it actually.
win 10 pro - 6800K, 64GB, Asus X99-AII
Rme Ufx, Motu Timepiece MTP, UAD2 Duo pcie
lots of plugins (soundtoys, waves, grm tools,
NI komplete 12, fabfilter, izotope etc)

jamescolah

Post by jamescolah »

I'm still using the Steinberg Midex 8, which is working great on the latest version of Windows 10. ;)

Kind regards

James Colah

http://www.jamescolahproductions.com/
http://www.facebook.com/jamescolahproductionsgb
http://www.twitter.com/jamescolah

greggybud

Post by greggybud »

Floris wrote:fwiw, Motu Midi Timepiece works flawlessly here on win7. Never had any problems with it actually.
I use 4 MOTU Midi Timepieces networked for a total of 32 in/outs. Windows 7 PC "sees" them in 2 groups of 16.

I have been using these with Cubase only since 1997 with rarely any issues.
The latest Cubase version, Wavelab 10, Intel Core i9 7920X @ 2.90GHz Windows 10 64bit, 64 gig all SSD drives (Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050ti, 2 34" LG ultra wides and 1 28" all @2560x1080) iCon QconPro, Metagrid, 4 MidiTimePiece's = 32in/outs, UAD-2, SoundToys, NI, Waves, Arturia, and lots of hardware synthesizers most of them controlled by MidiQuest 11.

indiescore

Post by indiescore »

greggybud wrote:
Floris wrote:fwiw, Motu Midi Timepiece works flawlessly here on win7. Never had any problems with it actually.
I use 4 MOTU Midi Timepieces networked for a total of 32 in/outs. Windows 7 PC "sees" them in 2 groups of 16.

I have been using these with Cubase only since 1997 with rarely any issues.
Greggybud thanks I see guitar center has one for sale $80......my slave PC is on the motu 2408 with 3 adat banks into my master PC, 24ai AVB adat in.

Where would I insert the timepiece in the chain would it simply run an adat loop with the slave 2408 ,

How does it lock to my 24ai?
32GB DDR3 2133 MHZ

indiescore

Post by indiescore »

I should clarify I also need to lock transport of slave PC....with VST system link.
32GB DDR3 2133 MHZ

greggybud

Post by greggybud »

indiescore wrote: Where would I insert the timepiece in the chain would it simply run an adat loop with the slave 2408 ,
How does it lock to my 24ai?
Sorry, I'm not using a slave or the gear you are using. I need 4 units mostly because of synthesizers and some outboard hardware. Maybe contact MOTU?

With 4 Midi Timepieces, at least 2 of them need to be usb. (you can network a usb to a old non-usb and save money because those old ones sell for very cheap) The network connection is on the back of each where it says rs-422 where you network 2 of them. Then network 2 more. Therefore you have 2 usb outputs coming from the 4 midi timepieces into the usb of your PC.

Windows 7 will see both usb inputs. Therefore you will have 2 midi timepiece windows open (2 sets of 16)where you can do appropriate patching. Keep in mind you can not patch something from the first set to the 2nd set.
The latest Cubase version, Wavelab 10, Intel Core i9 7920X @ 2.90GHz Windows 10 64bit, 64 gig all SSD drives (Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050ti, 2 34" LG ultra wides and 1 28" all @2560x1080) iCon QconPro, Metagrid, 4 MidiTimePiece's = 32in/outs, UAD-2, SoundToys, NI, Waves, Arturia, and lots of hardware synthesizers most of them controlled by MidiQuest 11.

indiescore

Post by indiescore »

I see , well motu support ( nice people ) had nothing to help other than try older drivers or log in as another user. It's gone from bad to worse now.

I appreciate all of the replies but I don't think I discovered anyone else using the 128 and Windows.

I have ordered iconnectivity midi 10, similar to the timepiece described however no drivers required, and 2 USB ports which will run two PC at once and share midi between them via usb.

This should allow a tight midi machine lock of transports so I can run film video on the Slave.....

Will update everyone once I set it up
32GB DDR3 2133 MHZ

Return to “General”