Hearing VST Amps while playing

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 9, Cubase Artist 9 and Cubase Elements 9 here.
Shaunpak

Hearing VST Amps while playing

Post by Shaunpak »

Hi all,

I would love to hear the amp effects while playing. In the past, I have recorded (and while recording, I hear the clean guitar). As soon as I hit "stop," and play it back, I can hear the amp effects. But I can never hear the effects when I am actually playing.

I watched this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rq-L0Pw52q4 and at 2:06, he mentions briefly something about setting it to "monitor the door," but try as I did, I could not figure out how to accomplish this.

So grateful for guidance. Thank you kindly!!

Shaun

svennilenni
Grand Senior Member

Re: Hearing VST Amps while playing

Post by svennilenni »

Shaunpak wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:32 am
Hi all,

I would love to hear the amp effects while playing. In the past, I have recorded (and while recording, I hear the clean guitar). As soon as I hit "stop," and play it back, I can hear the amp effects. But I can never hear the effects when I am actually playing.

I watched this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rq-L0Pw52q4 and at 2:06, he mentions briefly something about setting it to "monitor the door," but try as I did, I could not figure out how to accomplish this.

So grateful for guidance. Thank you kindly!!

Shaun
He is saying "monitor the DAW" not the "door". And as he also say: Disable direct monitoring. Since you are not giving any useful info on what that is: Refer to you audio hatdware's and software's manual.

Shaunpak

Post by Shaunpak »

I am using a Scarlett 2i2.

When I switch off Direct monitoring, I can hear nothing.

Is there some setting in Cubase 9.5 elements I am missing to be able to hear this VST amp rack while playing?

I am desperate and just can't figure it out.

svennilenni
Grand Senior Member

Post by svennilenni »

Shaunpak wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:17 pm
Is there some setting in Cubase 9.5 elements I am missing to be able to hear this VST amp rack while playing?
As said, disable direct monitoring!
Shaunpak wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:17 pm
When I switch off direct monitoring, I can hear nothing
Direct monitoring is not the orange speaker button by the way

Shaunpak

Post by Shaunpak »

As I said, I hear nothing when I switch off direct monitoring. Not even my clean guitar.

svennilenni
Grand Senior Member

Post by svennilenni »

Shaunpak wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:15 pm
As I said, I hear nothing when I switch off direct monitoring. Not even my clean guitar.
Then you are doing something wrong.
Set the track you are recording to to output to the bus you are monitoring in Cubase.

hasliwa

Post by hasliwa »

I have the same problem, I can hear my guitar but can't hear the different amp sounds. After recording the guitar I can hear the different amp sounds. What do I do wrong?

svennilenni
Grand Senior Member

Post by svennilenni »

hasliwa wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:17 pm
I have the same problem, I can hear my guitar but can't hear the different amp sounds. After recording the guitar I can hear the different amp sounds. What do I do wrong?
As I wrote several times before already… :roll:

Return to “General”