What is up with Apple? The past 2 years, seems like they are adamant to remove themselves from the pro audio/DAW market

Find topics on computers, studios and music-related hardware.
lovegames

What is up with Apple? The past 2 years, seems like they are adamant to remove themselves from the pro audio/DAW market

Post by lovegames »

All I see are constant problems. Every DAW update, problems. Every OS update, problems.

Glad I stuck with Windows, never fell for the Apple marketing. The problems people have on mac - I never have that kind of issue on PC - never.

It's a travesty that Apple/Macs became the popular DAW computer. A real audio engineer should be custom spec'ing and building their own Windows PC and never look back.

dr

Re: What is up with Apple? The past 2 years, seems like they are adamant to remove themselves from the pro audio/DAW mar

Post by dr »

Apple give approximately 0% f*cks about the DAW community - it accounts for approximately 0% of their annual revenue.

You may as well say "Why don't Apple care about the professional Bee Keeper community - we use mac software to track our Bee movements and honey production" - it has as much relevance to Apple as music production.

There isn't a problem with MacOS as such - in many (some!) ways it's superior to Windows - but they do like to change the rules whenever it suits them and this often catch developers on the hoof. SB have been caught napping ...yet again.

lovegames

Re: What is up with Apple? The past 2 years, seems like they are adamant to remove themselves from the pro audio/DAW mar

Post by lovegames »

dr wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:34 pm
Apple give approximately 0% f*cks about the DAW community - it accounts for approximately 0% of their annual revenue.

You may as well say "Why don't Apple care about the professional Bee Keeper community - we use mac software to track our Bee movements and honey production" - it has as much relevance to Apple as music production.

There isn't a problem with MacOS as such - in many (some!) ways it's superior to Windows - but they do like to change the rules whenever it suits them and this often catch developers on the hoof. SB have been caught napping ...yet again.
I don't think your logic is entirely sound - the DAW market makes up for even less of Windows user base and Microsoft made intentional direct communications to the audio community to figure out what was needed when making WIndows 10, including beta testing, feature/protocol requests, user experiences, etc.

You're also overlooking the fact that the world has become a world of creating content - who isn't creating content. Every other person is a musician running DAW, your a YouTuber, or whatever.

Third, it's professional users who are buying the $5,000 - $20,000 systems, sometimes in multiple quantities, in addition to software, upgrades, paid support services, as well as even just straight up buying new machines ever major tech cycle. Those profit margins aren't something to scoff at.

dr

Post by dr »

I don’t think I’m overlooking anything - but I suggest you write to TIm Cook to explain your point of view. I willing to bet he won’t lose too much sleep.

wpostma

Post by wpostma »

Apple should care about the DAW marketplace, that's an opinion lots of us share. But as DR says, Apple doesn't care.

Apple frankly doesn't care about the Mac product line PERIOD. Remove all the ports. Put the worlds worst keyboards on the things. Design in very fast obsolescence (non replaceable anything, everything soldered on) and completely impossible to repair products.

And profit on services, and on phone sales.

I have a buncha macs and PCs that I run cubase, and lots of other music software one. I won't buy another Mac until Apple starts to make products that are worth buying for professional use.

W P

Return to “Computer/Studio Hardware & Setup”