VCAs still broken

Post general topics related to Nuendo 10 here.
lovegames

Re: VCAs still broken

Post by lovegames » Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:25 am

Iftekharul Anam wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:48 pm
twelvetwelve wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:54 am
Good luck trying to get it fixed. I've been trying since they were introduced and it's not something that Steinberg seems to a) care about b) even understand how it should function.
Seemingly, In case of Cubase and at least 'VCA Destination' to be remembered correctly,

A) They care about it. Because, Cubase can remember VCA destinations from a disabled state of tracks.

B) Even understand how it should function.

It is the Nuendo team (not entirely Steinberg) that seems to be much more broken than even Cubase, in terms of VCA faders.
The Cubase VCAs have bugs as well.

https://imgur.com/a/IY8he3x
https://imgur.com/a/lPzwPrf

MattiasNYC
Grand Senior Member

Post by MattiasNYC » Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:31 pm

I thought those last two were Nuendo?

And are they still there as bugs? The video is a year+ old.
Nuendo 7.1.4 / Lynx TWO-B / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Ryzen 1700 3.7GHz (oc) / 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4@3200MHz / Radeon VII / ASUS x370-A mobo/ 500GB WD Blue system drive / Crucial BX100 250GB SSD media / spinners for library/backup ::::: iZotope RX 7/ Phoenixverb Surround / DaVinci Resolve / Faderport / Applied Acoustics UltraAnalog / my pet pony Frank

lovegames

Post by lovegames » Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:58 pm

MattiasNYC wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:31 pm
I thought those last two were Nuendo?

And are they still there as bugs? The video is a year+ old.
Confirmed, still here, both Cubase and Nuendo :oops:

cyrileg

Post by cyrileg » Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:02 pm

I don't know if anyone has already given this solution but It seems to me that these 2 bugs can be bypassed by creating an initial state of automation.
If you have volume automation before doing these manipulations, I believe these 2 problems do not appear.
Or create an initial state from the automation window but this affects all the parameters of the whole project.
Can someone confirm it?
i7-4770K, 32Go, SSD's Samsung Pro, W10
Nvidia GTX970 - Blackmagic Decklink Mini monitor -
Steinberg UR824 - Artist Mix & Control - CC121 - Nuage Master + Fader
Nuendo 10.2
Izotope RX7 - Waves Gold - Komplet Ultimate
Nuendo user since N1

lovegames

Post by lovegames » Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:32 pm

cyrileg wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:02 pm
I don't know if anyone has already given this solution but It seems to me that these 2 bugs can be bypassed by creating an initial state of automation.
If you have volume automation before doing these manipulations, I believe these 2 problems do not appear.
Or create an initial state from the automation window but this affects all the parameters of the whole project.
Can someone confirm it?
I think it's confirmed, but it's really just an unreasonable workaround for many people which sort of creates a headache later on.

I think my workaround is going to have to be to automate later, and to delete the VCAs or unlink the channels from them for any track I'm going to automate.

It's just so silly, how can these still exist? Why am I even having to think about this?

cyrileg

Post by cyrileg » Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:36 pm

I completely agree with you
i7-4770K, 32Go, SSD's Samsung Pro, W10
Nvidia GTX970 - Blackmagic Decklink Mini monitor -
Steinberg UR824 - Artist Mix & Control - CC121 - Nuage Master + Fader
Nuendo 10.2
Izotope RX7 - Waves Gold - Komplet Ultimate
Nuendo user since N1

lovegames

Post by lovegames » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:33 pm

Essentially I think what is going on here is two problems.

VCAs are acting as two things at once:

-Multiple channels fader link utility channel
and
-VCA Automation offset.

Without any automation, the VCA is nothing but a tangible fader link channel. Add an automation point and then it becomes an automation offset.

This is where they went wrong, was tying VCA faders into controlling the faders of the other channels its linked to. a VCA should be a control on a separate pre-fader gain trim that is not attached to the fader.

They tried to give us both in one, but it has just made things more complicated. They should have gave us another gain stage, represented by a rotary trim dial close to the faders, or a 'Small Fader' mixrack like an SSL console.

Or they just need to code it so that VCA offsets always begin at the point of adding automation but each channel/fader position is seen as "0db". ie, if it's at -6.3db and you add an automation point, the VCA reads that -6.3db as "0db".

lovegames

Post by lovegames » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:40 pm

Okay everyone, official workaround (or possibly, how it's supposed to be used) has been discovered.

If you have utilized VCA fader link to mix with, before you have automated, and you would then like to add automation to tracks that are VCA linked, you have to first 'Combine Automation of VCA and Linked Channels'"

Return to “General”