Stream Deck macro keypad

Discussions about our next-generation scoring application, Dorico.
Jazzisfaction

Re: Stream Deck macro keypad

Post by Jazzisfaction » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:40 am

Ah ok. I got it.
Thanx Marc.
Peer Baierlein
Mac Pro 2009, 2 x 2,93 Ghz Quad Core, 32 GB Ram, OS X 10.13.6

Philip R

Post by Philip R » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:59 am

Hi Peer! (And thanks Marc) You have mail. Thanks for your patience! It's a manual process as I have to look up your order and send you an individual discount code.

Jazzisfaction

Post by Jazzisfaction » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:56 pm

Andre wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:52 pm
I actually stopped using the app after a while, I felt it slowed me done more that it helped me. I like he colors though 😊.
Hey Andre,
I fully understand you, but I think if you build up the Stream Deck in a way which works smooth and logical for you it can be of great help and saves a lot of time.
Here is my Stream Deck XL:
Bildschirmfoto 2019-08-08 um 13.49.25.png
(75.72 KiB) Not downloaded yet
- The grey squares are the 'main' groups/folders in alphabetical order
- The yellows at the right side are my playing techniques for my spitfire plugIns
- The white ones are Expression Map, Playing Techniques and Percussion Map.....those 3 I need very often
- and the rest are some things I need regularly

within the groups I only keep the most important things and try to build them up in the way I handle 'structures' in my head: this is for example my 'dynamics' folder:
Bildschirmfoto 2019-08-08 um 13.54.09.png
(74.79 KiB) Not downloaded yet
* everything with a 'p' in the first row
* everything with a 'f' in the second row
* accents in the third row
* linking and grouping stuff in the fourth row
* and all graphical stuff on the right hand side

Maybe it helps you a bit or gives you some new ideas.
Cheers
Peer Baierlein

steveparker

Post by steveparker » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:36 pm

The profile I use the most has no folders at all. Just the 15 most useful shortcuts or macros.

Philip R

Post by Philip R » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:40 pm

Hey Peer, that's a really cool customization! Nice to see Notation Express out in the wild being used that way.

Jazzisfaction

Post by Jazzisfaction » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:59 am

Thanx Philip...You and Leo did a great job with Notation Express! I think using Stream Deck and Notation Express really differs a lot on what somebody is working on.....if I'd only write for jazz-quartet I'd have a completely other set-up. Working with string-plugIns and the necessity of a new playing technique for each articulation, makes the Stream Deck very useful !
Peer Baierlein

HeiPet

Post by HeiPet » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:12 pm

Pietzcker wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 5:58 am
A quick note: I have bought Notation Express and have adapted it to the German version of Dorico (for Windows). This involved a few changes to the keycommands_de.json file (where Dorico stores the user-defined key commands) and to the Stream Deck profile itself (because the German Dorico uses several different shortcuts like Ö instead of ; for triplets etc.). Philip R has a copy of these files, so if you're using Dorico on a German Windows installation and buy Notation Express, just ask him about them.

Cheers,
Tim
Hi Tim,
I use your German Version of Notation Express for Dorico. Thank's a lot! Reading the comments on Stream Deck XL, I'm thinking about buying one as well. Are you planning to create a German Version of Notation Express XL as well?

Heiko

pianoleo
Grand Senior Member

Post by pianoleo » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:16 pm

Tim, if you’re planning on adapting the revised JSON for German shortcuts, do let me know - I can send you a marked up copy of the JSON, labelled to show the additions. These mostly apply to noteheads, Jazz articulations and ornaments. With any luck you’ll then have a much quicker job adding to your existing JSON rather than having to start again from scratch with the new English one.

For that matter, if it’s a “no” from Tim, I’m happy to liaise with you, Heiko :)
Pianist/accompanist/engraver/arranger
2015 Macbook Pro 13" Retina 3.1ghz dual-core i7, 8gb RAM; running Sibelius Ultimate, Logic Pro X, Dorico 3 etc.
& 2017 HP ZBook Studio G3 15.6” UHD quad-i7, 16gb RAM, Windows 10 Pro
Sibelius user since Sibelius 7 (Acorn, 1997), Ex-Sibelius user since Dorico 1.0

Philip R

Post by Philip R » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:49 pm

Keyboard Maestro, just released yesterday, includes support for Stream Deck via a KM plug-in. So you can trigger KM macros via a USB device key and then have Keyboard Maestro report back to the Stream Deck to show visual alerts. Interesting…
IMG_6856.jpeg
(1.49 MiB) Not downloaded yet
https://wiki.keyboardmaestro.com/Stream_Deck

Romanos401

Post by Romanos401 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:35 pm

Apart from excitement about Philip's post above, I'd like to just reiterate how awesome the new XL profile is. Since I now have an XL and a regular unit, I've taken all my favorite things from the new profile and put them on the mini so that everything I typically need is immediately accessible, as well as copied a few things of Leo's around elsewhere on the XL. It's amazing. The icons are great too. This was very worth the investment!
🎵 Full-time Sacred Musician, Organist, Choral Conductor, Composer (Adjunct Organ Instructor, Goshen College)
💾 Dorico 3 pro, Noteperformer, Hauptwerk Advanced, On1, FinalCut Pro, Camtasia
🖥 iMac w/32gb ram, MacMini w/16gb ram, Stream Deck (& SDXL), SaffirePro40, NuForce uDAC
🎹 Alesis VI 61, 3m Organ Console

pianoleo
Grand Senior Member

Post by pianoleo » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:46 pm

Romanos, that is an excellent idea that hadn’t yet occurred to me. Thank you!
2015 Macbook Pro 13" Retina 3.1ghz dual-core i7, 8gb RAM; running Sibelius Ultimate, Logic Pro X, Dorico 3 etc.

Philip R

Post by Philip R » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:40 pm

That is an excellent idea! It's great that everything is customizable.

Pietzcker

Post by Pietzcker » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:26 am

I just came back from vacation and ordered my NotationExpress XL before reading this post. So yes, I will be updating the profiles :) My Stream Deck XL is not due until next week, though...

@pianoleo, thank you for the offer of the "marked-up" JSON file, but I have compared the two files and they were trivial to merge, so no need to send the annotated file.

Aside from this: Why does the installer need to run with elevated rights? If it only copies a file into the current user's profile directory, that should be possible without admin privileges, shouldn't it? The reason I'm asking is that my user profile doesn't have admin rights, which causes the installer to switch to the admin account, placing the JSON file in its profile directory and not mine :lol:
Windows 10, Dorico Pro 3, NotePerformer 3, Pianoteq 6, Wavelab Pro 9.5

Pietzcker

Post by Pietzcker » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:41 pm

Another question: I compared the Steam Deck (15-key version) profiles superficially and couldn't find a difference between the original profile and the current one. Has only the keycommands-en.json file changed, or are there other changes I have missed?
Windows 10, Dorico Pro 3, NotePerformer 3, Pianoteq 6, Wavelab Pro 9.5

pianoleo
Grand Senior Member

Post by pianoleo » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:46 pm

Pietzcker wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:41 pm
Another question: I compared the Steam Deck (15-key version) profiles superficially and couldn't find a difference between the original profile and the current one. Has only the keycommands-en.json file changed, or are there other changes I have missed?
I can't answer your question about the installer - that's one for Philip, I'm afraid. As to the profiles, the 15-key profile is identical to the previous version. The XL profile has various additions (noteheads, jazz articulations, ornaments etc.) and many of these rely on new shortcuts that are in the revised JSON file. All of the shortcuts that have been carried forward from the previous version are the same, meaning that you can theoretically use both a regular Stream Deck and an XL simultaneously (and at least one person does).

If you PM me your email address I'll happily send over the marked up JSON file I've just sent Marc Larcher.

Philip R

Post by Philip R » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:42 pm

Leo is correct on the json.

I’m not sure about the installer. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I haven’t bit the bullet and done a proper Windows code signing as a developer. Sorry for that!

Romanos401

Post by Romanos401 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:04 pm

On a side note, in case anyone is curious, I can confirm that the new sdk for keyboard maestro works perfectly as well.
🎵 Full-time Sacred Musician, Organist, Choral Conductor, Composer (Adjunct Organ Instructor, Goshen College)
🖥 iMac w/32gb ram, MacMini w/16gb ram, Stream Deck (& SDXL), SaffirePro40, NuForce uDAC

Saxer

Post by Saxer » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:45 am

Hi there!

I ordered Notation Express XL a while ago but didn't have the opportunity to install it yet.
Does it make sense to do it now or is it more effective to wait for the Notation Express update for Dorico 3?

I know it's a very subjective question but I have a bunch of custom key commands and there's probably some work to adapt NE to my settings. If there's an update available in the following days I'd better wait.

Thanks for info! Best, Saxer

MarcLarcher
Grand Senior Member

Post by MarcLarcher » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:55 am

Hi Saxer!
I am French and working on a French keyboard layout. And indeed I had some work to do to make it work (and if you ask my files to Philip Rothman, he will provide them). So if you're not using an English or american keyboard, expect some reworking on some keyboard bindings that might not work with your keyboard layout. Otherwise, it will work flawlessly and it is very easy to add your own shortcuts.
OS X 10.14.6, macbook pro retina Late 2013
Opera singer (lyric tenor), photographer, sound engineer, XeLaTeX user and music engraver (Dorico Pro 3.0.10, and Photoscore Ultimate 8.8.7)
French is my native language

Philip R

Post by Philip R » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:41 pm

Hi Saxer. We finished the Dorico 3 updates for both Notation Express and Notation Express XL and are just doing final testing on the installers. Expect an update within the next day or so. So hold off just a bit if you can.

MarcLarcher
Grand Senior Member

Post by MarcLarcher » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:34 pm

This is good news, Philip! Finally I did not have the time to deal with the French localization for Stream Deck XL (that I received two weeks ago but still not tried !), I'll wait for your XL version to make this porting.
OS X 10.14.6, macbook pro retina Late 2013
Opera singer (lyric tenor), photographer, sound engineer, XeLaTeX user and music engraver (Dorico Pro 3.0.10, and Photoscore Ultimate 8.8.7)
French is my native language

Romanos401

Post by Romanos401 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:56 pm

Philip, I just wanted to confirm (I mentioned this to Leo a while back) that the new version will include an option for a regular barline. It was missing from the XL update; I do a lot of chant transcriptions, hence, no meter, and suddenly a regular barline button becomes very important!

pianoleo
Grand Senior Member

Post by pianoleo » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:09 pm

Ach. I entirely forgot. I bet we can craft you one, though, even if it doesn’t make it into this update...

Philip R

Post by Philip R » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:06 pm

We will get the Normal barline in the forthcoming update. Thanks for the reminder!

Saxer

Post by Saxer » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:55 am

Thanks all for the answers! That are good news! So I'll wait for the update!

Return to “Dorico”