Stream Deck macro keypad

Discussions about our next-generation scoring application, Dorico.
tubagooba

Re: Stream Deck macro keypad

Post by tubagooba » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:48 am

Regarding icons, this is how I did it for anyone interested:

- create an illustrator template with lots of artboards in the correct size (I think I created one using one of the supplied graphics, then duplicated it).
- in Dorico, find the element that I want to turn into an icon
- print screen
- in IrfanView (quick and dirty photo editor) quickly crop the element to size
- paste into illustrator, then size and align onto a blank artboard
- export all the buttons from illustrator in one hit

It's tempting to create nice vector graphics, but the LCDs behind the buttons are pretty low DPI anyway, so a screen resolution is actually totally fine.

I've attached my illustrator file in case anyone's interested.

I still haven't had time to think through a comprehensive implementation of StreamDeck, but I did put it to pretty solid use while I transcribed a book of 50 or so leadsheet charts, and my general thoughts were:

- create button sets which are context dependent, not necessarily category dependent. It might be nice to have all your articulations in one place, but perhaps for most note input tasks you overwhelmingly only use three or four. So a 'note input' set might include those three or four and leave plenty of room for other note inputty things like changing the grid resolution and switching triplets on and off. It might make total sense for the same button to appear in lots of different folders, if it gets used in lots of different contexts. It's much much quicker than navigating through folders to find the button that you created in some other category. I have a "Score setup" folder which includes my most common time signatures and key signatures, and lets me add multiples of 8, 16, 32, 64 and -100 bars (the last one for deleting remaining, usually empty, bars at the end of a flow). But a couple of those I also have in my "Note input" folder, for when I find I've suddenly run out of bars at the end of a score, so I don't have to change folders.

- almost all my buttons are substitutes for popovers. If something can be accomplished using a one- or two-stroke key sequence, I'd rather learn the key sequence, not least because I work across two computers and the SD is only there for one of them. Popovers are great for accessing features which I seldom use, because they save me having to either remember a key sequence or dig through a menu, but for things I do repetitively, like add a repeat bar, there are just too many keystrokes. I think some popovers can be bypassed by programming a direct key sequence, but others can't. SD words well for turning 10 keystrokes into 1.

- It seems like it should be possible to get toggles working for things like rest input and tuplet input, but of course the SD can't interrogate Dorico to find out the current state of that button, so if it gets out of sync for some reason, it will stay out of sync.

- I've so far avoided using AHK, even though I'm pretty familiar with it and I could see how it could be tempting. As I get older, I'm finding that it's best if my workflow relies on a minimum of awkwardly bodged-on software of my own creation.

- I think perhaps with some head scratching, it might be possible to come up with a pretty fast and efficient means of note input using nothing but the Stream Deck (i.e. not even the computer keyboard). I could imagine it might be fun notating out in the park with a Surface Tablet and a StreamDeck and nothing else. Clearly, I haven't thought this through.
Attachments
Dan's Icons.zip
(88.1 KiB) Downloaded 113 times
Dan Gordon
Melbourne, Australia

MarcLarcher
Grand Senior Member

Post by MarcLarcher » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:36 pm

Thanks Dan.
This is a very nice addition to us Stream Deck users, I will study your workflow to see if it suits me. Your icons are very nice !
OS X 10.13.6, macbook pro retina Late 2013
Opera singer (lyric tenor), photographer, sound engineer, XeLaTeX user and music engraver (Dorico Pro 3, and Photoscore Ultimate)
French is my native language

Pieter Corten

Post by Pieter Corten » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:00 pm

In case anyone is interested:

I've created a set for my own purposes which I'm happy to share: https://goo.gl/YW8R7Z.

I will update this regularly, so check once in a while.

Enjoy!
Last edited by Pieter Corten on Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pieter Corten
Composer

ymu

Post by ymu » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:46 pm

Very nice, thank you!

MarcLarcher
Grand Senior Member

Post by MarcLarcher » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:38 am

Very elegant, Pieter! I'll use some of them when I take the time to optimize my commands in StreamDeck !
OS X 10.13.6, macbook pro retina Late 2013
Opera singer (lyric tenor), photographer, sound engineer, XeLaTeX user and music engraver (Dorico Pro 3, and Photoscore Ultimate)
French is my native language

SeeWhat

Post by SeeWhat » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:31 am

I have 4 SD Shorts that open: version history, Dorico manual, Tokens reference, PopOver reference

very handy
Win10 pro 64; Elitebook 1050; 16gb; RME multiface; Dorico 3; Cubase Pro 9.5. x64; Cubase Elements 9.5.; 2x Stream Decks; Melodyne; Amazing Slow Downer; Adam S2-A; Sibelius 2019 until end of subscription;
My native language is french, my english SoSo...

steveparker

Post by steveparker » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:32 am

Has anyone used the Infinitton macro keyboard?

Philip R

Post by Philip R » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:49 pm

Today at NYC Music Services we've just released Notation Express for Dorico, a fully customized Stream Deck profile with more than 300 commands. Leo Nicholson devised the Notation Express Dorico layout and key commands, and programmed the Stream Deck profile to make it work with Dorico.

http://notationexpress.com/

Romanos401

Post by Romanos401 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:52 pm

Thanks for posting this Philip. I finally broke down and purchased a stream deck. I've got a wonderful midi kb with a whole slew of extra midi keys (Alesis VI61) which I've set up for many things... but since the stream deck is running macros to activate some popovers AND type the desired response, it can do certain things that my kb can't yet do with simple MIDI commands. The videos are fascinating to watch as you are able to do so many things so quickly! I'm looking forward to this.
🎵 Full-time Church Musician, Organist, Composer, Choral Conductor
💾 Dorico 2.2, Noteperformer, Hauptwerk Advanced, On1, FinalCut Pro
🖥 iMac w/ 32gb ram, MacMini w/16gb ram, Stream Deck (& SDXL), SaffirePro40, NuForce uDAC
🎹 Alesis VI 61, Johannus 3m Organ Console

Robert Enns

Post by Robert Enns » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:27 pm

I’m away for a week but as soon as I get home I’m gettin me one of them there contraptions.
Actually it looks amazing with the macros.
Dorico V2.2.1

madsv

Post by madsv » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:23 pm

dankreider wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:53 am
If you want to try it, you can download the software for free and noodle with it, even without having the hardware. Here's a link to the Dorico macro profile I created: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xwbm7ehcra23a ... ofile?dl=0

When you download the software, go to settings-->Profiles-->Import, and you can pull in the entire profile, icons, and keystrokes and all.
Hi Dan,
I bought the unit and have it up and running. But I can't find Profile - import, - I only see duplicate, rename and export..?
Am I in the wrong place ?
TIA :-)
Mads
--
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R (rev. 1.0) Socket LGA1366
Core i7 I7-920 8 MB
Kingston 6 G RAM
ATI XFX Radeon HD 5770 1GB
RME Fireface 800, Windows 10 pro.
Cubase 10,0.10, Wavelab 9.5.35, Sibelius 7.5, Dorico 3

pianoleo
Grand Senior Member

Post by pianoleo » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:26 pm

Mads, you can just double-click the profile from wherever you've downloaded it to, and it'll load into the Stream Deck software. Same as if you opened a Dorico project off the desktop.
Pianist/accompanist/engraver/arranger
2015 Macbook Pro 13" Retina 3.1ghz dual-core i7, 8gb RAM; running Sibelius Ultimate, Logic Pro X, Dorico 3 etc.
& 2017 HP ZBook Studio G3 15.6” UHD quad-i7, 16gb RAM, Windows 10 Pro
Sibelius user since Sibelius 7 (Acorn, 1997), Ex-Sibelius user since Dorico 1.0

madsv

Post by madsv » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:42 pm

Wow - how incredibly easy!
Thank's pianoleo :-)
--
Core i7 I7-920 8 MB
Kingston 6 G RAM

lbuckley

Post by lbuckley » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:45 pm

Hello, All. To those who are interested in the Stream Deck, or even curious about it, this might be a motivation to buy one. https://www.scoringnotes.com/meta/notat ... or-dorico/

NYC Music Services, which released a whole Stream Deck set called Notation Express for Sibelius, has just released Notation Express for Dorico. I've bought it ($29.00 USD), and it's very thorough. It does raise the "how much is too much" issue, and I've already found that burrowing down three levels to find some things may take more time than whatever previous method I used; however, I've also found that it's a great repository for shortcuts I can never remember.

It's especially useful in situations where my workflow keeps me in one mode or another for a period of time, so that I"m on the same Stream Deck screen for a period of time. A good example of that is formatting a score or parts; all the frame or staff adjustments are literally at my finger tips.

It's ideal for the person who really can't remember shortcuts, or how has one particular area of work he/she doesn't use often enough to remember the appropriate shortcuts. For someone who has already set up a large number of Dorico Key Commands or a large number of Keyboard Maestro shortcuts (and uses them regularly enough that remembering them is not an issue), then Notation Express will have fewer areas of usefulness. I've found that my Keyboard Maestro shortcuts are, in some cases, quicker than reaching for the Stream Deck; entering dynamics comes to mind, because I have created a large set of easily-triggered comprehensive dynamics triggers.

But there are other areas where I'm already becoming comfortable with Notation Express on the Stream Deck (and I just bought it yesterday), so I'm glad I bought it. It's already making its way into my workflow.

I don't know if Notation Express alone will motivate someone to buy a Stream Deck; however, for those who already own a Stream Deck, it's certainly worth taking a look. There's a good quick-look video at the URL above, showing Notation Express for Dorico in a nutshell.

In the meantime, the screenshot below lets you see the Notation Express front screen, which is the top level of organization from which you dig down to the areas you want to work in.

NotationExpressTopScreen.png
(365.25 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Lew Buckley
Dorico Pro 3.0.0.10.38 (Sep 3 2019)
Late 2012 iMac
2.9 Ghz, 8G RAM
Mojave OS

pianoleo
Grand Senior Member

Post by pianoleo » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:52 pm

Lew, the beauty of the Stream Deck software is that it allows copying and pasting of existing functions. If there are 14 things you use on a very frequent basis, you might consider adding a folder somewhere and pasting those 14 things in there.
2015 Macbook Pro 13" Retina 3.1ghz dual-core i7, 8gb RAM; running Sibelius Ultimate, Logic Pro X, Dorico 3 etc.

pianoleo
Grand Senior Member

Post by pianoleo » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:57 pm

...talking of which, that screenshot looks wrong. Clefs and Octaves is in the top left button by default, and that “Default Profile” button shouldn’t be there at all. I’ll post a “correct” one in a few hours when I’m behind the computer...

dankreider
Grand Senior Member

Post by dankreider » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:05 pm

Lew, for me the beauty of Stream Deck is that the top layer is often changing based on the project I'm on. If I'm putting in bowings, or formatting musical exercises, or exploding orchestral parts... as Leo says, you can just copy-paste functions to the top layer as needed.

I keep all functions buried three layers deep so I don't accidentally erase them, and call them to the top as needed.
Dan Kreider

Orchestration, transcription, engraving
Dorico training for individuals and teams
www.dankreider.com
---
Dell Precision 7520, Xeon quad-core, 32 GB RAM, Windows 10

Philip R

Post by Philip R » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:15 pm

Lew, I really appreciate the kind words and I'm so glad that you're making use of it already.

As others have mentioned, it's great that you can customize it as you like; you're not locked down to using the Notation Express profile. Indeed, based on your screenshot, you've already modified it a bit :D

Here's the shipping home screen (dynamics are here):
notation-express-top-screen.png
(53.64 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Leo has done an amazing job of thinking it all through with 300+ commands, all the while keeping some general consistency with the Sibelius version, to appease both Dorico-only users and Sibelius/Dorico users.

Dan and Marc also provided some terrific advice, too.

lbuckley

Post by lbuckley » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:57 pm

You’re right, of course, Leo. And I had already done that on my own Dorico Stream Deck template. I was just talking about the Notation Express template “out of the box.”

And re: the screenshot I posted, you’re right again; I had already made the two changes you observed; I was just trying to show how comprehensive the tools are.

And Dan, are you saying you redesign the template every time you sit down to work, depending on what you’re working on that day? That sounds cumbersome to me. And re: your concern about erasing a shortcut, I’m sure you know about saving your profiles?

Anyway, the bottom line is, I’m a real fan of both Stream Deck and the new Notation Express Dorico layout.
Lew Buckley
Dorico Pro 3.0.0.10.38 (Sep 3 2019)
Late 2012 iMac
2.9 Ghz, 8G RAM
Mojave OS

dankreider
Grand Senior Member

Post by dankreider » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:09 pm

lbuckley wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:57 pm
And Dan, are you saying you redesign the template every time you sit down to work, depending on what you’re working on that day? That sounds cumbersome to me. And re: your concern about erasing a shortcut, I’m sure you know about saving your profiles?
No, I just mean I go into the sub-menus, click the particular function I want to bring to the top, and copy-paste it onto the "home" layer.
Dan Kreider

www.dankreider.com
---

Romanos401

Post by Romanos401 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:35 pm

Well, I ordered mine yesterday, and it arrived by lunch today. Amazon is really upping their game. I was shocked.

Suffice it to say, this is awfully slick. I wish I had purchased one of these a long time ago. I've set up other profiles for other programs I use and it's most expedient with repetitious tasks. This is my new favorite toy.
🎵 Full-time Church Musician, Organist, Composer, Choral Conductor
💾 Dorico 2.2, Noteperformer, Hauptwerk Advanced, On1, FinalCut Pro
🖥 iMac w/ 32gb ram, MacMini w/16gb ram, Stream Deck (& SDXL), SaffirePro40, NuForce uDAC
🎹 Alesis VI 61, Johannus 3m Organ Console

dankreider
Grand Senior Member

Post by dankreider » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:58 pm

Leo, I gave it a little spin.

Well done, truly. Congrats!
Dan Kreider

www.dankreider.com
---

pianoleo
Grand Senior Member

Post by pianoleo » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:14 pm

Thanks Dan!

madsv

Post by madsv » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:32 pm

madsv wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:23 pm
dankreider wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:53 am
If you want to try it, you can download the software for free and noodle with it, even without having the hardware. Here's a link to the Dorico macro profile I created: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xwbm7ehcra23a ... ofile?dl=0

When you download the software, go to settings-->Profiles-->Import, and you can pull in the entire profile, icons, and keystrokes and all.
Hi Dan,
I bought the unit and have it up and running. But I can't find Profile - import, - I only see duplicate, rename and export..?
Am I in the wrong place ?
Mads
--
Hi Dan,
I have your profile in the unit now (thank's to pianoleo..) and everything looks very nice :-)
But - although I've assigned Dorico as the application to load the Dorico profile nothing happens in Dorico. What am I missing ?
Also - I snatched your Macro script and Dorico shortcut list, but I don't know what to to with them.. :?
Mads
--
Core i7 I7-920 8 MB
Kingston 6 G RAM

dankreider
Grand Senior Member

Post by dankreider » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:36 pm

For starters, you need to install Auto Hot Key. That’s the program that runs the macros. Once you have AHK installed, you can double-click on the macro file to run it.

The macros themselves are just a text document; it’s AHK that binds the keystrokes to the macro commands.

Also, some of the key commands may not be assigned to your Dorico profile (like Ctrl-Alt-P to Propagate Properties... it’s not a default command, you need to add it to the Key Commands.
Dan Kreider

www.dankreider.com
---

Return to “Dorico”