Integration with Cubase

Discussions about our next-generation scoring application, Dorico.
MarcLarcher
Grand Senior Member

Re: Integration with Cubase

Post by MarcLarcher » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:37 am

Well, I suppose most of the folks who use Cubase without knowing it has a score editor would not like to pay an extra 500+ bucks to have Dorico inside...
The future promises better interactions between scoring apps (when we can do proper xml export from Dorico, it should be much better. And I read there are new standards coming), and nothing is more efficient than a very good tool, that does one thing but does it very well.
OS X 10.14.6, macbook pro retina Late 2013
Opera singer (lyric tenor), photographer, sound engineer, XeLaTeX user and music engraver (Dorico Pro 3.0.10, and Photoscore Ultimate 8.8.7)
French is my native language

Mike Dunn

Post by Mike Dunn » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:05 pm

pianoleo wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:34 am
There’s still no integration with Cubase, except that you can copy and paste note data directly from Cubase into Dorico (as MIDI).
Really ? You have been able to copy/paste notes directly from a MIDI editor in Cubase to a staff of music in Dorico ? Does not work for me - or do you mean midi import ? That works. If you know of a way to directly copy/paste from Cubase/Nuendo to Dorico I would love to know how !

Thanks,

Best wishes,

Mike
Dorico Pro 3, Nuendo 10, Intel i7, 32GIG RAM, Windows 10 pro 64bit, (2nd machine - Win10 64bit 6 Gig ram, VE Pro), (Also 3rd Machine - Windows Surface Pro for transcribing to Dorico, particularly), EWQLSQ, EWQLSO, VSL, VEPro, Sibelius 8.4, Kontakt, Absynth, Omnisphere 2, Trilian, Reaktor 6 etc etc.

http://www.mldunn.net

Daniel at Steinberg

Post by Daniel at Steinberg » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:09 pm

You can drag and drop a region from Cubase's arrange window into Play mode in Dorico.

pianoleo
Grand Senior Member

Post by pianoleo » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:14 pm

Mike Dunn wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:05 pm
pianoleo wrote:
There’s still no integration with Cubase, except that you can copy and paste note data directly from Cubase into Dorico (as MIDI).
Really ? You have been able to copy/paste notes directly from a MIDI editor in Cubase to a staff of music in Dorico ? Does not work for me - or do you mean midi import ? That works. If you know of a way to directly copy/paste from Cubase/Nuendo to Dorico I would love to know how !

Thanks,

Best wishes,

Mike
It's drag and drop, apparently. See John Barron's video here: https://www.facebook.com/thebarrondotne ... SEARCH_BOX
I'm not a Cubase user, so no, I haven't tried.
Pianist/accompanist/engraver/arranger
2015 Macbook Pro 13" Retina 3.1ghz dual-core i7, 8gb RAM; running Sibelius Ultimate, Logic Pro X, Dorico 3 etc.
& 2017 HP ZBook Studio G3 15.6” UHD quad-i7, 16gb RAM, Windows 10 Pro
Sibelius user since Sibelius 7 (Acorn, 1997), Ex-Sibelius user since Dorico 1.0

Mike Dunn

Post by Mike Dunn » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:39 pm

Daniel at Steinberg wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:09 pm
You can drag and drop a region from Cubase's arrange window into Play mode in Dorico.
Wow. How did I miss that ?! it is a little bit clunky (well it works fine but it would be nice to have a few options for how to paste what you have transferred from Cubase (or Nuendo in my case) ie how to interpret note lengths/ties, where to place notes on a grand staff etc but it definitely works !! To me that is actually quite a big thing - all those years ago when you were first starting to develop this app and we were all putting forward suggestions, that is one of the features I hoped for, together with graphical scoring (no rush on that one ;p ).

This can only get better with time, and judging by your record so far with feature implementation, could mean the title of this thread will become a reality. In fact, to a degree it already has.

It does need to be done in play mode in Dorico though, as you say Daniel, - in 'write' mode it turns into a midi import, also useful, but not quite so immediate, which is the key, for me. I have only just tried this out quickly so forgive me if I have missed out something further that can be done but have not realised.

Thanks so much for pointing that out Daniel :-)

Best wishes,

Mike
Last edited by Mike Dunn on Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dorico Pro 3, Nuendo 10, Intel i7, 32GIG RAM, Windows 10 pro 64bit, (2nd machine - Win10 64bit 6 Gig ram, VE Pro), (Also 3rd Machine - Windows Surface Pro for transcribing to Dorico, particularly), EWQLSQ, EWQLSO, VSL, VEPro, Sibelius 8.4, Kontakt, Absynth, Omnisphere 2, Trilian, Reaktor 6 etc etc.

Mike Dunn

Post by Mike Dunn » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:46 pm

pianoleo wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:14 pm
Mike Dunn wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:05 pm
pianoleo wrote:

Thanks,

Best wishes,

Mike
It's drag and drop, apparently. See John Barron's video here: https://www.facebook.com/thebarrondotne ... SEARCH_BOX
I'm not a Cubase user, so no, I haven't tried.
As Daniel says above, it works best in Play Mode. In Cubase, trim a section to a desired length in the arrange window and drag it across to a track you have set up, and that is showing in the track window in play mode. Then just move to write mode and tweak as required.

Works very well. Can't quite understand how I missed that, I try to keep abreast of all the new features as they come along, but they are plentiful, and I'm always busy :?

Thanks pianoleo !

Best wishes,

Mike

Return to “Dorico”