Can I select MIDI instruments by changing MIDI channel

For users of legacy Steinberg Cubase software
EAE

Can I select MIDI instruments by changing MIDI channel

Post by EAE »

Hello,

Here's what I want - 16 midi tracks, each with a different instrument assigned, and each midi track has a distinct midi channel between 1 and 16. I change the midi channel on my keyboard, and a different instrument plays.

Here's what I've got - I play the keyboard, and have to select a midi track to hear an instrument play. If I select 2x midi tracks, 2 instruments play. There is no difference between different midi channels selected on the keyboard.

Please - how do I get what I want? :D

Thanks

Ben

Tacman7

Re: Can I select MIDI instruments by changing MIDI channel

Post by Tacman7 »

I don't know that I would do 16 of them but I have 5-7 instruments setup that I work with in every song.

Gets a consistent sound like a band used to be. Also easy to move parts from one song to another.

You just click on the track you want to work on and you're good to go.

Monitoring and record enable happens when you click on a track, changing incoming midi wouldn't do that unless you figure out some command that would do it with the generic remote.

You can send program changes and change the voice you're using but you'd still be on the same track.
Win10 i7 7700k 16gb ram 1TB SSD
AsusH270M-PLUS StudioKonnekt 48

-steve-
External Moderator

Post by -steve- »

One way to do this is:

Create one instrument track, and load it with the VST you want, and into it load the instruments you want.

Set the midi channel of the track to 'any'.

Now, when you set your keyboard to a channel the instrument, on that channel will sound.

Create the midi tracks and set them all to midi channel 'any' as well, and route them all to the Instrument track.

Now, when recording on those midi tracks only the instruments on the channel your keyboard is sending will sound, but you will have to take care that you record on the correct midi track.

Additionally, you could set up an input translator to filter out the unwanted channels for the midi tracks.
independent manufacturer rep (not a Steinberg employee)
[safe mode] [cubase manual] [score editor manual]

EAE

Post by EAE »

Hi Tacman,

I won't really be doing 16 instruments, this was just an example.

What you've suggested is what I already have, to change the instrument I have to change the Cubase track. I want to change instrument by changing the midi channel on the keyboard.

Thanks

Ben

Return to “Older Cubase versions”