Simplest way to add drums in Cubase AI

All about our Cubase LE and Cubase AI OEM bundle software.
silver_mica

Simplest way to add drums in Cubase AI

Post by silver_mica »

Okay, I've done this before - but I have no clue how I did it. And, it looks like I didn't document how I achieved adding a MIDI drum track using the built in synth facilities in Cubase AI.

I have previous projects with drums (possibly imported MIDI) - so maybe I can copy an entire track from one project to another. That's a clunky way of doing it so I'd like to document a clean way to add drums for next time.

I like a pretty simple full drum set. I might have used something labeled as a jazz acoustic drum set from the choices - but not sure if that was from Cubase or not - but I think you get the idea.

So, to kick this off - first question: Do I want to add a MIDI track or an Instrument track? And, what next after that?

svennilenni
Grand Senior Member

Re: Simplest way to add drums in Cubase AI

Post by svennilenni »

silver_mica wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:04 pm
So, to kick this off - first question: Do I want to add a MIDI track or an Instrument track? And, what next after that?
That depends solely on your personal preference.
After that you choose a VSTi that has the drum sounds you want
Then you create or Import or play the desired rhythm.
And during all that, you start reading in the manual a bit.

joolstacho

Post by joolstacho »

Well, I've been reading the manual "a bit" but I can't find out how to simply add a simple drum track into a project.
There's many clever youtube videos showing how to CREATE a new drum track, but they all seem to miss the final most important part... where you can actually add the drum track into your project!
Apologies if I sound a shade annoyed! -Just spent a few hours trying to do it, without luck.
(I'm just assuming we have a selection of 'stock' drum tracks we can use)
I've opened 'Groove agent and double-clicked 'Brothers in need" (that's me!!!) and it's added a new track in the project. But what then? How can I actually play that drum track?

"Then you create or Import or play the desired rhythm".
- Yes, but actually HOW?
THX for your help, I know it'll be something basic and simple I've overlooked. (Don't call me stoopid!!! - or maybe DO!)
(Elements ver10)

svennilenni
Grand Senior Member

Post by svennilenni »

joolstacho wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:12 am
Well, I've been reading the manual "a bit" but I can't find out how to simply add a simple drum track into a project.
There's many clever youtube videos showing how to CREATE a new drum track, but they all seem to miss the final most important part... where you can actually add the drum track into your project!
Apologies if I sound a shade annoyed! -Just spent a few hours trying to do it, without luck.
(I'm just assuming we have a selection of 'stock' drum tracks we can use)
I've opened 'Groove agent and double-clicked 'Brothers in need" (that's me!!!) and it's added a new track in the project. But what then? How can I actually play that drum track?

"Then you create or Import or play the desired rhythm".
- Yes, but actually HOW?
With an eDrum, a MIDI keyboard, the on-screen Keyboard, or you draw the MIDI info with the pencil into a MIDI part, which you have to create for example with the pencil tool (click on the MIDI track).

joolstacho

Post by joolstacho »

Thanks mate. I've now found that to get a drum track down I can use 'Loops', that works for me. Good! Find a good track and just drag it onto the project... Boom-bang-bash! Too easy when you know how! (But I'll also give the MIDI / pencil a try as you advise).
I'm still trying to resolve a few issues. I'm not confident that my Studio setup 'ins & outs' are right. Using my H4n as a USB mic, I want to monitor from my computer headphones, - it seems I can monitor out of the H4n, but not out of the computer sound card.
Thx again.
(Call me stoopid! :-)

svennilenni
Grand Senior Member

Post by svennilenni »

joolstacho wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:40 am
my H4n as a USB mic, I want to monitor from my computer headphones, - it seems I can monitor out of the H4n, but not out of the computer sound card.
Thx again.
(Call me stoopid! :-)
Yes that´s how it is. You could change this by using ASIO4all (Win) or "Aggregate device" (Mac). Plenty of posts here on the forums and info on google.

Return to “Cubase LE and Cubase AI”