UR interfaces audio drop outs (follow-up thread)

This section is about Steinberg's UR and UR-RT USB audio interfaces product range
Ed Doll
Site Admin

Re: UR interfaces audio drop outs (follow-up thread)

Post by Ed Doll » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:39 am

Thanks for the hint, tagomago! A faulty or even just insufficient power supply can be the reason for many errors and crashes on a system. Make sure to have a PSU with enough headroom.
Ed Doll, Support Manager
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany

Connect with Steinberg on Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram and SoundCloud!

Bomonganni

Post by Bomonganni » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:25 am

I just bought a ur22MKII, and Im having same issues with a Dell laptop, integrated Intel graphics, Win 10 64 bit, 8 gb ram. My previous interface was a cheap Samson usinG asio4ALL, but it worked fine. Now I cant watch youtube videos without repeated dropouts, and the dropouts also occur in Bias FX. The USB light blinks when the audio drops. Ive disabled everything I can, all power management, Speed boosts, etc. Tried all 3 USB ports. Tried old driver and new. Different USB cable. I cant disable my wifi, because i use it. And my internal sound card can play videos and music fine, so this one should at least be able to do that. Disappointed so far. I hope theres a solution,

chakkman

Post by chakkman » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:38 pm

Bomonganni wrote:I cant disable my wifi, because i use it.
You could at least try it, and see if it's working without dropouts then. Mind that you have to disable your wifi adapter, not your wifi.

kairos

Post by kairos » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:09 am

I've been researching/troubleshooting this audio dropout issue for hours, frustrated that I was getting the dropouts right out of the box. I was about to give up and get something else because I figure if you buy something that's "supposed" to be good, generally it should work properly and be good... and I'm obviously not the only one dealing with this issue. Anyway, I hope I'm not jumping the gun here but after about giving up I switched out the USB cable that came with the unit for the one I was using previously with my Line 6 UX1 (because I knew it worked at least)... and so far, after about 30-45 minutes of listening to audio I haven't had any dropouts. I seriously hope it stays this way. If that was the fix, it's good but very frustrating still, especially that something that seems so baffling could be so simple. Just throwing this out there to see if it helps anyone else.

NorthWood MediaWorks

Post by NorthWood MediaWorks » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:56 pm

kairos wrote:I've been researching/troubleshooting this audio dropout issue for hours, frustrated that I was getting the dropouts right out of the box. I was about to give up and get something else because I figure if you buy something that's "supposed" to be good, generally it should work properly and be good... and I'm obviously not the only one dealing with this issue. Anyway, I hope I'm not jumping the gun here but after about giving up I switched out the USB cable that came with the unit for the one I was using previously with my Line 6 UX1 (because I knew it worked at least)... and so far, after about 30-45 minutes of listening to audio I haven't had any dropouts. I seriously hope it stays this way. If that was the fix, it's good but very frustrating still, especially that something that seems so baffling could be so simple. Just throwing this out there to see if it helps anyone else.
Are you using the 22 or which model?

camthaman

Post by camthaman » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:45 am

Hi guys,

I decided to make an account to share my experience with the UR22mkii.

I purchased one last week, and out of the box, it was dropping out.
The USB light would flicker at the time of dropout and was exactly the issue that was being described in the previous thread and in this one.

Sometimes it will last 3 minutes, sometimes 5 seconds, then a dropout, intermittently for 1-2 seconds.

I tried just about everything I could.
I followed various ideas in the thread, I tried using a wall adapter for the power, I tried updating drivers and managed to crash my OS of Windows 10.
I spent 4-5 days trying to work it out, I almost returned it as DOA.
Then I tested it on an old mac laptop running Windows 10, and it worked without issue.

After trying just about everything software wise, I decided to try a new PSU for my PC.
Just like that, the dropouts are gone.
I had a 500W PSU in my system (a few years old now).
I bought a cheap, new 600W PSU for $40 AUD.
Fitted it and the interface is running flawlessly in Windows 10 now.

Seriously, if it's dropping out, try the power supply.
My machine was built in 2007, and it's still going strong.

Don't listen to anyone try to tell you it's software/buffering issue, no.
I had someone trying to tell me it was the AMD processor/buffering issue.
Go with your gut.

All the best.

Cam

Awaer

Post by Awaer » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:51 pm

Hello,

I just bought this soundcard. I also have random cuts sounds

My system :

Windows 10 Pro (clean install)
Intel i5 3570K (no overclock)
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G45 (last BIOS)
16 Go DDR3
SSD Intel 330 serie - 240 Go
2 HDD (1.5 To and 2.0 To)

Before buying the UR22 mk2, I listen my music on my integrated sound card to the motherboard (ACL892) with ASIO4All:
http://www.realtek.com.tw/products/prod ... ProdID=284

I've never had these cuts.

I followed the instructions on the first page but nothing changes. I tried changing the buffer as well as the sample rate. I also changed the USB cable that is bigger and has a ferrite around. The problem persists.

I just lost € 129 :evil:

hausmeister

Post by hausmeister » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:32 pm

Just had a weekend with audio dropouts (for smaller buffers <= 256) on my new UR22mk2, Optimizing Windows 7 improved things a little bit, but still too many dropouts. What really helped finally was to disable the "use multi-core" option in Ableton. This is on an i7-4600U. Now, with multi-core disabled, everything runs fine, down to 64 samples as buffer size.
I don't know if this is a problem with the Yamaha driver or with Ableton, but I thought I should let you know. Maybe someone else with problems can try this.

toni_garzon

Post by toni_garzon » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:54 pm

-------------------------
LatencyMon results:

REPORTED ISRs

Highest ISR routine execution time (µs): 43,981203
Driver with highest ISR routine execution time: USBPORT.SYS - Controlador de puertos USB 1.1 y

2.0, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total ISR routine time (%): 0,336272
Driver with highest ISR total time: USBPORT.SYS - Controlador de puertos USB 1.1 y

Total time spent in ISRs (%) 0,431453

REPORTED DPCs

Highest DPC routine execution time (µs): 168,454887
Driver with highest DPC routine execution time: ACPI.sys - Controlador ACPI para NT, Microsoft

Corporation

Highest reported total DPC routine time (%): 3,828749
Driver with highest DPC total execution time: USBPORT.SYS - Controlador de puertos USB 1.1 y

Total time spent in DPCs (%) 4,598727

PER CPU DATA
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

_
CPU 0 Interrupt cycle time (s): 1,041409
CPU 0 ISR highest execution time (µs): 32,778195
CPU 0 ISR total execution time (s): 0,086024
CPU 0 ISR count: 51867
CPU 0 DPC highest execution time (µs): 168,454887
CPU 0 DPC total execution time (s): 0,848781
CPU 0 DPC count: 118734
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

_
CPU 1 Interrupt cycle time (s): 0,831271
CPU 1 ISR highest execution time (µs): 43,981203
CPU 1 ISR total execution time (s): 0,063129
CPU 1 ISR count: 17735
CPU 1 DPC highest execution time (µs): 165,315789
CPU 1 DPC total execution time (s): 0,740999
CPU 1 DPC count: 43013
Last edited by toni_garzon on Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

toni_garzon

Post by toni_garzon » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:27 pm

Hello,

I have similar problems with my brand new UR22.

System description:

Dell Studio 1555 @2,13 Ghz - 4GB RAM - Windows7 SP1 64bits - Intel Mainboard - Yamaha driver 1.9.8

Things that I experienced:

- Random audio cuts with Ableton Live 9.6 or Cubase AI 8.
- Duration: 2 to 5 seconds, Rate: 1-3 per minute aprox @ 44100Hz, 1024bits. Sometimes they don't happen for minutes and sometimes I have 2 or 3 in a 10 seconds interval. Normally the sound is faded out and in (no hard cuts).
- Very rare audio cuts when using Winamp, Windows Media, VLC and other players.
- No sound cuts with internal audio (disconnecting the UR22).
- No CPU load problem: the VU meters are working and reproduction not stopped (with Ableton Live,
Winamp, etc), but the audio is not reproduced by the UR22.
- Same problem observed using the headphone output of the UR22.
- LatencyMon results: USBPORT.sys and ACPI.sys (see details below)
- I can't see any related events or processes taking more CPU or memory when the sound cuts happen.
- I can't really see any relation of the audio cuts with midi or key events, but they happen more often when the activity is higher (recording instruments, play-stop, etc).
- I can't see any dependency between the audio cut rate and the buffer size.
- There are lots of additional of audio cuts of different nature (shorter duration, with cracks and pops) if I activate multicore processor in Ableton CPU options.

Things that I already tried and didn't help:

- Loading the GPU (video acceleration) seems to prevent audio cuts for a while, but I'm still not sure how to reproduce it.
- Using different USB cables and USB ports (all 2.0)
- Updating drivers, BIOS, disabling unnecessary HW (wifi) and Windows services, antivirus, windows
update, etc.
- Changing windows energy options (processor minimum state at 100%), etc. Selecting "maximum performance" power mode didn't help.
- Changing Ableton process priority to high.
- Using 5V power source of UR22.
- Using laptop only with battery / AC adaptor.

Can someone help me, please? I am losing a lot of time with this issue!

Cheers.
Antonio

Merlin5

Post by Merlin5 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:03 pm

I'll join the thread. Just bought the UR22 mkII and when monitoring with headphones via the UR22 headphone jack I'm getting regular dropouts every few seconds, regardless of whether it's from my DAW, or youtube, or any sound file.

What I'm trying to do is play my Roland TD9 electric drums and record as midi, triggering EZ Drummer 2 software into Cubase LE AI Elements 8, on my laptop. My laptop is a Dell Vostro, 8GB DDR3 sdram, running 64 bit W7, dual core i5 2410M 2.3GHz with turbo speed up to 2.9GHz and onboard HD audio soundchip and IDT audio control panel.

The UR22 is unusable because as I record (or just listen) it cuts out randomly. I've tried with 5V power supply plugged into the wall. Used a different USB cable 28/24. Swapped between the built in Intel graphics and the AMD graphics in my laptop. Disabled the wi-fi network card. Closed down all browser windows. Don't know what else to do and if I should return it (I'm still within a 30 day return period) and buy something like a Focusrite 2i4, if that might make any difference?

Someone on another forum suggested I should upgrade to windows 8.1 or 10 as the architecture changed to handle sound differently.

However, when I use the ASIO4ALL driver, I don't get any dropouts. Sound quality seems about the same to me. But I can't monitor from the UR22 headphone jack, I have to monitor via my laptop jack, and also I have no control of volume without using the UR22 headphone jack. But by using ASIO4ALL, it means I'm just using the Steinberg as a midi interface, and I just returned a Roland UN-ONE midi interface to buy an audio interface, ie, the UR22.

igorb1

Post by igorb1 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:36 am

Ok, another one joining the club(Horrible dropouts every 5-10 seconds on UR22.
I had UR22 for more then a year and it was fantastic on my old computer I5-750, mb GB P55-UD3, 4gb ddr3 generic RAM, Corsair PSU. Just few days ago upgraded to i5-6600K, ASUS Z170-AR, Ripjaws 5 DDR4 3333Mhz 2X8GB.The rest is the same- same GPU, same harddrives (SSDs and HDDs)same Windows 7-64 sp1 (clean install after upgrade).And UR22
is just bad.Dropouts everywhere- in Cubase AI8, in browser...Tried everything- BIOS tricks described earlier here, different USB cables, unplug everything, disable everything, unable everything...I`m tired.Should I trow away UR22 or new motherboard?))) Hope, someone comes with solution to this nightmare.

igorb1

Post by igorb1 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:15 am

Hi there. Having lots of problems with UR22. I`ve sent my first post yesterday but for some reason it`s not here..well,I`ll try to be quick.
Had UR22 for more then a year with my old computer ( i5-750, GB P55-UD3, 4gb Generic ram) and it was fantastic.
Last week upgraded to i5-6600k, ASUS z170-AR, 2x8gb Ripjaws 5 DDR4, and having problems with UR22.Dropouts
every 3-5 seconds in any applications- Cubase AI8, Youtube and so on. After dping all the tricks and messing with drivers came to this- all usb2 and 3 sockets still have dropouts. Only when I connect UR22 to lan usb31-ea2 (supports usb 3.1 boost) I don`t have any dropouts, but have lots of crackling sounds. Don`t know what to do anymore.

Bertr

Post by Bertr » Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:44 pm

UR22Mk2 - Drops out randomly once every 5/10 minutes with windows media player or wavelab 9.

Mainboard: ASROCK N3700 ITX
16 GB Ram
Intel processor (4 core) 3700 1,60 GHZ
Win7 SP1 64 bits

I tried drivers 1,9,4 and 1,9,8, no change.
I tried different cables, external power supply (regulated 5V), different USB ports, usb2, usb3 of the mainboard.

The problem does not occur with the Realtek onboard audiointerface or with a Zoom R16 used as audio interface.

It´s going back to the shop tomorrow. Good luck.

igorb1

Post by igorb1 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:17 pm

Sorry, forgot to say- When I switch to motherboard`s Realtek sound- all sounds good. Cubase with generic low latency driver sounds good also trough Realtek. Obviously there are some problems with USB drivers.

yukele

Post by yukele » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:30 pm

Disabling my firewall worked as a temporary fix, but after waiting months for a fix from Steinberg I decided to get an Audient iD14. Now dropouts are a distant memory.

fatar7601

Post by fatar7601 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:38 pm

Having read all of this and the previous thread I must say how utterly disappointed I am at Steinberg's response to this issue.

I bought a UR22 MKII yesterday having read many favourable reviews.

I used the unit with my Lenovo Ideapad Z580 laptop (Intel Core i7 3520M 2.9GHz, 8Gb RAM, Windows 10 (64 bit)) without any issues.

Today I started using it with my Compaq SG3 350-UK desktop (AMD Athlon II x2 245 processor, 2.90 GHz, Windows 10 (64 bit), 8 GB RAM) and the drop out issue has started.

I've followed the advice previously listed. Exchanging USB cables hasn't worked, using different USB ports hasn't worked. Updating the drivers hasn't worked. Upping the buffer size hasn't worked.

The white USB light dims on the unit when the sound cuts out. This tells me it is a power issue although I see that has been disregarded previously.

The wattage on my desktop PSU is 180 Watts. I'm uncertain what power is going to my laptop.

This is NOT been an issue for my E-MU 0404 USB unit that I've used for 9 years now (and it's still working). It's worth noting that the E-MU has a separate power adaptor. Although my desktop is a slower machine there's no way I should be having these issues with simple programs like WMP or youtube.

There's no way I'm going to buy any other means of powering the unit - I believe that it should just work without issue.

Having read the issues that others have listed and the sheer length of time it's taking Steinberg to reply to this problem I shall be returning it to the shop if a solution isn't found soon. This is completely unacceptable.

igorb1

Post by igorb1 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:31 pm

It would be interesting how many of you guys switched from Steinberg UR-something to any other USB interfaces with success.Just to know, what other usb interfaces would be trouble free, not like UR. Thanks.

fatar7601

Post by fatar7601 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:57 pm

So I've managed to solve the problem!!!!

Simple really, and it'll work for ALL of you.

I bought a Focusrite Audio Interface (in exchange for the Ur 22) and it's solved ALL my drop-out issues.

Very happy :)

Steinberg <slow clap>

Tresfjording

Post by Tresfjording » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:45 pm

May be I have fixed sound dropout on my PC.
I have this homebuilt, with Windows 10, and UR22

Several months now there has been an very annoying dropout of sound. Irritating when me and Willie Nelson is working up a sweat.
But today I seem to have fixed it. Been playing for an hour now, with no abruptions.

I ran mmsys.cpl.
Open the tab Communication
Marked the bottom choice "Do nothing" under the field "When Windows detects communication activity" or what it's English name is.

(well, while writing this there was one hickup!) (only one, it seems) :-)

regards
Tresfjording
Perturbed Norwegian

voung

Post by voung » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:20 pm

This may also be a temporary fix:

Installed driver version 1.90. Have not experience a single dropouts in 2 days straight. Im using the latest Windows 10.

EDIT**

The dropouts is back. But it occurs much lesser than before (v.1.98)

igorb1

Post by igorb1 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:33 am

No, guys, I really don`t understand. I had 9 years old system ( i5-750, p55-ud3, generic ram 4gb) and it all worked perfectly with LAN, Avast, internet , even games at background- everything!I have just changed CPU to i56600k, motherboard to asus z170-ar, and ram to ripjaws 5 ddr4 3333. Now my system is much faster, much more power efficient, much more powerful (i`ve checked it with many other apps)- and I having dropouts. Why? CPU can`t be the reason-or UR22 is not compatible with Skylake? DDR4 the reason? No way. ASUS Z170-AR the reason? Maybe USB3 drivers for this motherboard weren`t made good enough? But why they work ok with all the VR devices that much more bus power hungry?PSU is a reason? But now it has less load then before.
Yeah. I can buy USB hub to check. Then I can buy PCI-E usb card. Then what?Buy new MB?CPU?RAM?
Maybe new interface? Wich one? I would buy UR44 because it s not USB bus powered. But if I ll have same problem?Maybe go with zoom uac-2 usb3? I don`t know what to do. Please, someone, give me some advise.

I ve tried everything. Even checking USB amps with regedit . Going to get couple of usb interfaces- one usb hub and one usb pci-e. Will see how I go.

fatar7601

Post by fatar7601 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:36 am

I've replaced mine with a Focusrite 6i6 and had no issues that the UR22 was showing.

My advice would be to get a Focusrite.

Awaer

Post by Awaer » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:28 am

Awaer wrote:Hello,

I just bought this soundcard. I also have random cuts sounds

My system :

Windows 10 Pro (clean install)
Intel i5 3570K (no overclock)
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G45 (last BIOS)
16 Go DDR3
SSD Intel 330 serie - 240 Go
2 HDD (1.5 To and 2.0 To)

Before buying the UR22 mk2, I listen my music on my integrated sound card to the motherboard (ACL892) with ASIO4All:
http://www.realtek.com.tw/products/prod ... ProdID=284

I've never had these cuts.

I followed the instructions on the first page but nothing changes. I tried changing the buffer as well as the sample rate. I also changed the USB cable that is bigger and has a ferrite around. The problem persists.

I just lost € 129 :evil:
I got a refund.

I buy an Audient ID14 and i have no drop outs with my system above.

You can buy an Audient ID4 if you do not want to spend too much in a sound card. Customer service responds quickly.

igorb1

Post by igorb1 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:01 pm

Looks like I`ve fixed the problem.
What I did- 1-updated BIOS on my ASUS Z170-AR. 2- did everything described at the beginning of this thread.
3- disabled all cpu throttling things in windows. 4- disabled overclock, CPU (i5-6600K) at default 3.5 Ghz, and RAM Ripjaws V ddr4 3333Mhz XMP profile on, but set to base frq 2133Mhz, default timing. Now UR22 works like before, absolutely no dropouts no scratchy sounds , all perfect. The moment I start overclocking anything- problem comes back. Btw, it works with avast on, LAN on, internet on, whatever on. Anyway, works now, but last 3 weeks were nightmare.

Return to “Steinberg UR Series”