MIDI Control of Cubasis

soundog

MIDI Control of Cubasis

Post by soundog » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:52 pm

I use Cubasis for live performance. Does Cubasis recognize any MIDI control messages (CC, PC, or Note info)? If so, where can I find a summary of what it recognizes and responds to?

crohde

Re: MIDI Control of Cubasis

Post by crohde » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:38 am

Hi soundog,

Yes, you can record and edit MIDI CC's and PC's.
You can check the manual here:
http://www.steinberg.net/fileadmin/file ... Index.html
Best regards,

Carlos Rohde - Product Marketing Manager Cubase & Apps
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany
Check out Steinberg on YouTube, Twitter and Facebook

soundog

Post by soundog » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:25 am

Maybe I wasn't clear, sorry. I mean remote MIDI control of Cubasis, not just recording MIDI info to pass to external devices. An obvious example would be sending a CC message to control the volume of a track. This is typical in a DAW such as Logic Pro or Cubase.

Why? I use Cubasis for live performance. It is awkward to use the iPad for control, but I have foot controllers and MIDI controllers with easily-accessed faders and knobs. I would like to be able to assign map controllers to Cubasis control.

Not possible?

Philippe Bono
Steinberg Employee

Post by Philippe Bono » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:52 pm

Hi soundog,

controller support is not a main focus at the moment since Cubasis explores the touchscreen as an interface.
Of course we have this request on our list and you are not the first one asking for it ;)

All the best,

Phil
Philippe Bono, Technical Support Advisor
Hamburg, Germany

Check out Steinberg on YouTube, Twitter and Facebook!

soundog

Post by soundog » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:38 am

Thanks, Phil (and Carlos).... that makes perfect sense. BTW, I used Cubasis for my first live gig this weekend, and it performed without a hitch. I really appreciate the InterApp capabilities, and the ability to run everything in the background. Its pretty amazing how much processing I could squeeze out of an iPad 3.

cardiax

Post by cardiax » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:29 am

+1 for controlling the app via a midi controller. The touch interface makes absolute sense on the go, but having the ability to connect to my mixer controls at the home studio setup. That would be amazing.

Richmn

Post by Richmn » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:20 am

I'd love to be able to use my iRig Blueboard to control Cubasis for rapid draft sessions. For example, I'd assign to 4 foot buttons to start/stop, rewind, undo, and record! Hands free!

BrandMo

Post by BrandMo » Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:07 pm

Have there been no updates in this regard? I love how easily I can plug in my mpd32 and start jamming with some kits I've put together, but surprised that I can't use the sliders to control the mixer. With an iPad and mpd I can literally replace my laptop for live performing, put using the touchscreen in this set up is not ideal. Looking up solutions this thread is still the first thing that shows up on google.

jmlrtn

Post by jmlrtn » Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:43 am

Glad you brought this topic up again because that makes at least two of us who are interested in the future of MIDI-controlling Cubasis in the iPad.

Could one of the Cubasis developers please give us an update on your thinking?

Robertm78

Post by Robertm78 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:13 am

Add me too! Actually I wonder if there might be a large market opening for getting Cubasis creations directly onto stage using an iPad instead of a laptop?

NB At the moment I can do what I want in a Laptop DAW by defining named regions on tracks, and assigning MIDI to those regions (chorus, ending, solo's etc) and launch / loop them with a foot pedal. It's nice, but but staying with one app on an iPad not a laptop would be very appealing to me, especially as the Cubasis interface is so fantastically usable.

AndyPlankton

Post by AndyPlankton » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:08 pm

And Me ! Where I understand that touch may be the interface being focused on, it is actually quite fiddly using the mixer on an iPad Mini, having hardware control via MIDI would alleviate this. If MIDI is a definite no then perhaps a full screen portrait mode for the mixer which would allow longer faders.

Thanks
iPad Air 2 64GB ,
Main Apps - Cubasis, AUM, blocs wave, Groovebox, Launchpad, Rozeta suite, Lumbeat Drum Apps, various AU Synths and FX
Hardware - Novation Circuit, Novation Mininova, Novation BassStation 2, Korg Electribe Sampler 2, Line 6 Amplifi TT

LSlowak
Steinberg Employee

Post by LSlowak » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:12 pm

Hi all,

The feature is on our list, but it might take some time until it becomes available.

Thanks,
Lars
Lars Slowak - Project Management & Team lead Cubasis
Hamburg, Germany

chris3chris

Post by chris3chris » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:11 pm

Same request from me - using Midi CC to control switches like volume and so on is an absolutely must. Since today I own Cubasis - I was really shocked when I saw this is not supported yet - hopefully this will change soon. It would be also great to have the possibility to add patch scripts like its possible with cubase. Integration with my Korg Kronos is nearly perfect - but this missing features slow down my workflow of producing music with Cubasis.

neilcw303

Post by neilcw303 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:50 pm

And me - Just bought into this yesterday . I have an M-audio Oxygen 88 and want to make use of this mainly for Live performance. If at the moment it does not have midi 'Learn ' capability (which I think should be on the roadmap ) is there a way of identifying midi so altering the midi controller to send the correct cc into Cubasis ?

Even if all I could do was assign volume sliders to different tracks it would help massively for live performance ...

Any thoughts on whats possible now ? and how long before we get proper midi learn capability .

Ps - it is an awesome app - just looking to make it even better ...

I was driving with my PC and now using an ipad air - with cubasis, igrand , sampletank etc - so so so much better

LSlowak
Steinberg Employee

Post by LSlowak » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:43 am

Hi neilcw303,

Thanks for the update.
The feature is on our list but will still take some time to make it in the version.

Best,
Lars
Hamburg, Germany

Samer

Post by Samer » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:41 am

Add me too, very important feature

jayfehr

Post by jayfehr » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:54 pm

Add me to the list of wanting this feature. I just bought the app and just assumed from how powerful it was I assumed it would have this feature. I was extremely disappointed it isn't a part of the app.

soundog

Post by soundog » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:26 am

Welllll ... here I am again after making my original post nearly two years ago.

Still no MIDI control of Cubasis? All I need to be able to do is use CC#s to mix track (or instrument) volumes!

Bitte schön?????

LSlowak
Steinberg Employee

Post by LSlowak » Mon May 02, 2016 10:29 am

Hi soundog,

We hear you ... :)

Cubasis gets constantly updated with new features and we try to fulfil user requests best possible.
As stated earlier, MIDI Control is on our list but we're not able to provide a release date for it as of yet.

Best,
Lars
Hamburg, Germany

soundog

Post by soundog » Tue May 03, 2016 3:55 pm

Thanks, thats reassuring. Its just been such a long wait!

Cubasis is the best iOS DAW on the market.

MIDI control support would open up a new realm of possibilities and applications.

642carl

Post by 642carl » Thu May 12, 2016 6:22 pm

+1000 for external controller support(MIDI CC/PC/Transport controls), it's long overdue and really the only thing I'm missing (I own the full version of Cubasis)

Would be so nice to tweak synths or control a mixdown or automation from my Akai MPK25 mini or Axiom49.

I also own the full version (with 8-track studio) of Amplitube iOS and I love how I can long-press on any button/slider/knob and have the app go into "learning mode", then I just tweak a controller and I'm done, control of my amp/pedal sims from the external controller!

jimknopf

Post by jimknopf » Sat May 21, 2016 1:33 pm

I second that request.

I use Cubasis with an Akai MPK 249 Controller, and it's just a pity not to be able to use all the available pads, knobs, sliders and DAW transport controls with Cubasis, which only receives note and velocity values.

Touch screen of course is the first and most important Cubasis controller. But easily transportable remote control can be a very welcome option as well: there's lots of such controllers out there, which would make on the fly recording with Cubasis even more comfortable than it already is.

banjo1

Post by banjo1 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:50 pm

Yeah...I'll add to this wishfest! Two related things I would love to see! Not only MIDI CC but maybe MIDI clock! I see that it it acts as master, but it isn't obvious to me how to make the clock a slave. I can't make it work...and I keep noodling with it...thinking I'll find the magic button! Maybe it will work with Interapp but so far I HATE Interapp...its krap! With a K! I would LOVE to see it work with ableton Link! Is there any snowball in hell chance Steinberg will add link to cubasis? (I bet they would make a whole lot of people really happy!). I try to use Cubasis with Audiobus but it it feels like such a boondoggle trying to get other Audiobus apps to sync with the clock!
PC: 8 core AMD Windows 10 Mac: Mini (Sierra) Cubase Pro 9.0.20 (Also Live 9.7, Reason 9.5 .. I cannot decide which I like best! )

damir65

Post by damir65 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:00 pm

Hi everybody!

I am using Yamaha UD-WL01 USB Wireless LAN Adaptor with my Yamaha DGX 660 Electric Piano. It works seamlessly with Yamaha Apps where it is possible to send audio and stream audio from iPad to my keyboard speakers and to record my keyboard performance.
I was wondering would it be possible to send and record audio in Cubasis over this adapter.
It is, however, possible to send and record audio performance over this adaptor to the ChordTracker from Yamaha. This makes me think that it would be possible to use the same Adaptor with Cubasis as well to record audio. Should this be a case, I would purchase Cubasis DAW in a blink.
If anybody has some answer to this question please let me know. It would be really appreciated.

numinosum

Post by numinosum » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:35 am

Hello everyone!
Just to offer my vote for midi controls in Cubasis. It is a great DAW, this feature would make it THE choice for live performances with iPad! Right now I need a workaround with Audiobus and MiMiX but it is very limited, crashes a lot... definitely a compromise.
So I cannot wait to see it implemented, Cubasis developers, all eyes are on you now :)
Regards, Num

Return to “Cubasis”