When is WL 9 coming out?

All topics on WaveLab 8 and WaveLab Elements 8
panatrope

Re: When is WL 9 coming out?

Post by panatrope » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:19 am

"8 weeks"from the initial post would sort of co-incide with Winter NAMM.

But we all know that NAMM stands for "Not Available - Maybe 'Messe!"
De gustibus - et sonus - non disputandum est

Oliver.Lucas

Post by Oliver.Lucas » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:33 am

TimoWildenhain wrote:Hello,

thanks for your interest in the upcoming WaveLab! PG and Steinberg are still working on it.
You can expect a MAJOR step forward in terms of user interface, features and workflow!
It might become the most remarkable WaveLab release for a very long time.

More information on WaveLab Pro 9 and WaveLab Elements 9 will be available in about 8 weeks.

Thanks,
Timo
That self-imposed date is coming closer...
I'm excited and like the way MAJOR is spelled with capital letters. :mrgreen:
Main machine: Fireface UFX+ 64GB, 2TB Hecacore macmini 10.14.x, egpu
Avid ProTools Ulitimate and S3. A gazillion plugings

Oliver.Lucas

Post by Oliver.Lucas » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:05 pm

HA!
They've got a teaser video up on the site. It's really looking like the WLGUI has finally arrived in our millennium.
Also there was a new multiplugin quite similar to Ozone with a dynamic EQ.

Looking forward to this.

Oliver

StudioCompyfox

Post by StudioCompyfox » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:27 pm

The video states "Spring 2016".

But "what" does Steinberg consider as Spring?

US/Canada Groundhog Day Spring (2nd February = Mild => Spring)
The Astronomical/solar reckoning Spring (19 and 21 March)
The Meteorological Spring (March to May)
Or Musikmesse 2016? (7th April to 10th April)?
Win7 64bit SP1/Convenience Rollup on Intel Core i7 920, 3,6GHz | Cubase 10.0.20 | Wavelab 9.1.x
Steinberg user since mid 1990s

Oliver.Lucas

Post by Oliver.Lucas » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:43 pm

StudioCompyfox wrote:The video states "Spring 2016".

But "what" does Steinberg consider as Spring?

US/Canada Groundhog Day Spring (2nd February = Mild => Spring)
The Astronomical/solar reckoning Spring (19 and 21 March)
The Meteorological Spring (March to May)
Or Musikmesse 2016? (7th April to 10th April)?
As soon as it's spring in Hamburg I'm going to throw some money at them, that's for sure :roll:

Vocalpoint

Post by Vocalpoint » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:38 pm

StudioCompyfox wrote:Musikmesse 2016? (7th April to 10th April)?
This is definition of "spring" to Steinberg in Germany.

VP
Bruce McDonald
Vocalpoint Studios
Calgary, AB Canada

TimoWildenhain

Post by TimoWildenhain » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:40 pm

Vocalpoint wrote:

VP
Earlier! :)
Timo Wildenhain - Head of Business Unit
Professional Audio Unit
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany
Checkout Steinberg on YouTube, Twitter, Facebook and MySpace!

Vocalpoint

Post by Vocalpoint » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:43 pm

TimoWildenhain wrote:Earlier! :)
Ah - a reply from an insider!

Earlier is better by me. Look forward to seeing this.

VP
Bruce McDonald
Vocalpoint Studios
Calgary, AB Canada

random_windows

Post by random_windows » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:08 pm

I'm still on WL7 and cannot wait for this update. i wish there was some grace period information because i am very keen to upgrade to WL8.5 but don't want to be paying twice when WL9 is released.

Vocalpoint

Post by Vocalpoint » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:20 pm

random_windows wrote:I'm still on WL7 and cannot wait for this update. i wish there was some grace period information because i am very keen to upgrade to WL8.5 but don't want to be paying twice when WL9 is released.
If I were you - I would hang tight with WL7 for now.

I would wait until at least March 1 (probably longer) - as it's highly likely that we will have much more info in a month.

As Timo has alluded to - seems WL9 is not coming during MusikMesse (april) - but actually earlier!

My guesstamate now is mid to late March.

VP
Bruce McDonald
Vocalpoint Studios
Calgary, AB Canada

Mljung

Post by Mljung » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:21 pm

random_windows wrote:I'm still on WL7 and cannot wait for this update. i wish there was some grace period information because i am very keen to upgrade to WL8.5 but don't want to be paying twice when WL9 is released.
I wonder the same (I'm on WL 8.0.4) :roll:

::
Mads

StudioCompyfox

Post by StudioCompyfox » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:18 pm

TimoWildenhain wrote:
Vocalpoint wrote:

VP
Earlier! :)
I don't want to bring up comparisons with telecommunication or electronics companies, but could you please narrow down the time frame a bit?

You know, so that I can plan my days a bit better?
So which "Spring type" from the upper mentioned is it?

We can now rule out Musikmesse 2016 (though it will be a topic there). And the next AES is later as well.
Can we also rule out the North American Groundhog Day?

(btw - last WL .0 release was mid May 2013, with a usual 2-month Grace Period down to March of the same year // WL8.5 dropped June 2015 -- I like that particular release cycle - more so than Cubase)
Last edited by StudioCompyfox on Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Win7 64bit SP1/Convenience Rollup on Intel Core i7 920, 3,6GHz | Cubase 10.0.20 | Wavelab 9.1.x

Justin P

Post by Justin P » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:37 pm

I think there are two things that would be good for WL users to know:

1) When is it safe to purchase or upgrade to 8.5 and be in the grace period to qualify for free WaveLab 9 upgrade?

2) Will there be a maintenance update to 8.5 at some point?
https://www.mysteryroommastering.com/https://www.justincarlperkins.com/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/WaveLab/

iMac Pro 3.0GHz 10-Core • 64GB RAM • SSD for OS and audio • MacOS 10.14.6
Mac Mini 3.2 GHz Intel Core i7 (6-Core) • 32GB RAM • SSD for OS and audio • MacOS 10.14.6

RME AES HDSPe, MUTEC MC-3+ Smart Clock USB, Grace m905, Grace m900

Grundman

Post by Grundman » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:46 pm

In my country, Spain, Spring comes on March 21 and knowing MusikMesse is from 7 April on, I believe Timo has narrowed very well the dates, isn't it?

Of course, Spring can come earlier in some countries...

StudioCompyfox

Post by StudioCompyfox » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:13 pm

More important to me, would be to know if the "Batch Analyzer" got a RMS or better VU value readout with custom time frames (300ms bar minimum).

And an actual screenshot of the GUI would be nice. The teaser video was a bit too frantic IMO

random_windows

Post by random_windows » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:18 pm

Vocalpoint wrote:
If I were you - I would hang tight with WL7 for now.

I would wait until at least March 1 (probably longer) - as it's highly likely that we will have much more info in a month.

As Timo has alluded to - seems WL9 is not coming during MusikMesse (april) - but actually earlier!

My guesstamate now is mid to late March.

VP
thanks for the advice VP. i have been with WL7 for so long another month or two is not going to be too bad of a wait!

Vocalpoint

Post by Vocalpoint » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:37 pm

StudioCompyfox wrote:And an actual screenshot of the GUI would be nice. The teaser video was a bit too frantic IMO
I think that's the point of calling it a teaser:) I love what I see in there already - frantic or otherwise.

If they were going to spill all the beans - they would have. And they will - in due time.

But then of course the complaints will start immediately about how the new GUI is lame, or too dark, or too this or too that :)

My favorite will be this one - (that I am 100% certain will be asked right away)

"Will it be possible to change the WL9 new GUI back to the WL6 GUI. I miss the old look and feel"

Poor ole PG just can't win...

VP
Bruce McDonald
Vocalpoint Studios
Calgary, AB Canada

Lasso

Post by Lasso » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:18 pm

StudioCompyfox wrote:
And an actual screenshot of the GUI would be nice. The teaser video was a bit too frantic IMO
Some careful pausing in the teaser shows a very cubase'ish look - dark, black, blue, metallic, way better than what we have now.

Anybody notice the strange square shaped thing around 00:26? Wonder what that is.

Look slick - hope they got rid of the sluggish 8.5 graphics as well
2015 MBP Retina @ 2,8 gHz, High Sierra, Cubase Pro 10, WaveLab Pro 9, UAD Apollo Twin, UAD Apollo Satellite Quad TB

StudioCompyfox

Post by StudioCompyfox » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:40 pm

Well, at 0:17, we see the "Audio Editor" (or what looks to be the montage!), which does have some GUI ideas taken from the likes of other hosts that do freely attachable/detachable windows. So we will(!) see a full GUI overhaul after all. Not too sure if I'll like it though. Then again, everything is better than WL7/8's sometimes confusing windows and window handling (I hate clicking outside of WL and all my plugin GUI's vanishing/closing).

At 0:20, we'll see a new plugin called "Master Rig", which looks like a combined concept that a lot of developers currently do as well. Think Ozone "lite", or IK Multimedia with the Lurssen Mastering Module. I actually kind of like the look on that thing. Has something from current Native Instruments GUI's. I'm curious what this will be about, and how good it will actually sound/perform (and if we can load it in Cubase as well if we copy over the VST3 files - please say yes). I don't see this as a main selling point, but I'm sure (like CubEndo) that it will be made to be one. Though is the creation of this tool to counteract the 10 insert limit?

At 0:23, we see one new window - a "Wave Scope". I do hope we can configure that to show smaller time frames, etc. Overall, this looks like a more "cleaned up GUI", also different metering. And here is my biggest concern - can we fully configure the meters to our needs? Like: ballistics, color codes, reference levels? (please, please say yes!)

That big blocky thing at 0:25/0:26 looks like something for "easier positioning"? I sure hope this won't be advertised as... *cough - old Steinberg cats will get this...* ... er... "Groundbreaking".

At 0:29, we seem to get a MASSIVE update on the routing. We can now use INSERTS and SEND, in Stereo, L, R, Mid/Side. Here is hope for proper multi-track recording capabilities in WL9!

At 0:32 - we get a new file handler

At least this is what I get out of the video.

My main concerns are still:
- will we get an update in the Batch Analyzer?
- can we fully configure metering tools?
- (my biggest concern) was the VST3 SDK better implemented? (I'm a beta tester for various - what works in CubEndo doesn't work in WL and the other way around)

And I really, really hope that the Fraunhofer ProCodec inclusion wasn't dropped, but rather overhauled slightly (better GUI - I do like the Sonnox plugin concept!), not to mention rendering of SURROUND tracks (discrete WAV, setup to a 5.1 to 9.1 mix) - not just stereo ones.

A bonus surprise would be, if Wavelab can now load WAV files, slice them, and generate REX. But... I think this is wishful thinking. Just like creating very, very basic Pure Audio Blu-Rays.

Actually - there is an AES "Conference" end of this week. Would this already count as "spring"?
(considering North American Groundhog Day and all)

Thomas W. Bethel

Post by Thomas W. Bethel » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:47 pm

Two questions. How much is it going to cost for current WL owners and what studio is that in the "teaser" ? It looks like mission control for a Mars landing.

Oh well just have to wait and see on the release date. I would rather they wait longer and get all the bugs out than sooner and have problems.

The GUI looks good in fact VERY GOOD now if it will only solve all the crashing problems I will be ecstatic.

MTCW
Thomas W. Bethel
Managing Director
Acoustik Musik, Ltd.
Room With a View Productions
http://www.acoustikmusik.com/

Doing what you love is freedom.
Loving what you do is happiness.

Celebrating 24 years in business in 2019

Mljung

Post by Mljung » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:02 pm

Thomas W. Bethel wrote:Two questions. How much is it going to cost for current WL owners and what studio is that in the "teaser" ? It looks like mission control for a Mars landing.

Oh well just have to wait and see on the release date. I would rather they wait longer and get all the bugs out than sooner and have problems.

The GUI looks good in fact VERY GOOD now if it will only solve all the crashing problems I will be ecstatic.

MTCW
Oh yes - it's nice with new features and GUI - but if the bugs don't go away, it won't give any real meaning!
Hope it's solid, a Wavelab release to be proud of - both from a developer standpoint and of course for us users!

::
Mads

Vocalpoint

Post by Vocalpoint » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:06 pm

Mljung wrote:Oh yes - it's nice with new features and GUI - but if the bugs don't go away, it won't give any real meaning!
As per normal protocol - PG is usually on the case right away with a maintenance release or two - but in my usage - WL never really gets strong until about the third or fourth release.

In the case of V8 - I was not really comfortable with it until we hit 8.5.

As far as an upgrade price - it was 99 bucks last time. Cannot see why it would be more this time.

VP
Bruce McDonald
Vocalpoint Studios
Calgary, AB Canada

StudioCompyfox

Post by StudioCompyfox » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:59 pm

Thomas W. Bethel wrote:...now if it will only solve all the crashing problems I will be ecstatic.
Definitely hoping for the same...
(see my comment on VST3 implementaion)

nkf

Post by nkf » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:36 pm

Will WL 9 have complete, non restricted support for interleaved surround/multichannel files, surround plug ins and external multi channel inserts? This is what I need.

Return to “WaveLab 8 | WaveLab Elements 8”