Activation of Cubase 8 deleted my Cubase 5 licence! HELP!

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 8, Cubase Artist 8 and Cubase Elements 8 here.
robakstudio

Activation of Cubase 8 deleted my Cubase 5 licence! HELP!

Post by robakstudio » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:57 pm

I have just activated my Cubase 8 and the upgrade caused that Cubase 5 and 6 on my computer in the studio cannot be loaded. eLicencer says I have no valid licence! I can't express how BIG that problem is for me now. We are working in the studio on our client's album and all the mixes done so far cannot be accesed! I bought new Cubase 8 to run it on a new computer in near future but we still work on my older offline computer with Windows XP and Cubase 5. My income depends on it. Now I'm terrified. I need to get back my Cubase 5 licence on that XP computer now! Please help me!!!

I tried to find an older version of eLicencer but it cannot be dowloaded: http://www.elicenser.net/de/download_archiv.html - I get this screen:
"Hostname not configured
The hostname you requested is not currently configured."

MrSoundman

Re: Activation of Cubase 8 deleted my Cubase 5 licence! HELP

Post by MrSoundman » Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:52 am

It sounds like you bought an upgrade license which converted your existing Cubase 6 license to Cubase 8. The bottom line is XP has not been supported for a long time. The link you have is correct for the newest version of the eLicenser that will still work on XP, however I don't know if that will work with Cubase 8, so you'll just have to try it.

That error message is to do with your internet connection, not Cubase. Try the link from another computer or use a different internet connection.
Windows 10 • Cubase 10.5.0 • WaveLab 10.0.0 • SpectraLayers 6.0.20 • HALion 6.3.1 • Groove Agent 5.0.20 • Midex

Romantique Tp
External Moderator

Post by Romantique Tp » Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:07 am

You have to update the license database on your XP computer. Connect it to the internet and run the eLicenser software. The issue here is that the eLicenser software in that computer has an outdated database, so it doesn't see your Cubase 8 license, which does work with Cubase 5.
Every time someone says "it must be easy to add/fix", a programmer dies.

Cubase Pro and Wavelab Pro (latest), Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, MSI Z87-G45 GAMING, i5 4690k, GeForce GTX 760, almost every Steinberg plugin and expansion, Trilian, Komplete 10, etc etc etc etc

robakstudio

Post by robakstudio » Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:26 am

Thank you. Problem solved. The link to archival eLicencer started working again. I downloaded the older, XP compatible version. I had to take my studio computer home to connect it to the internet. Database was updated and my licence is now ok.
It was the first time I had to connect my daw to internet. I don't have the internet in the studio and I know at least a few other studios located in places with no direct internet connection. We have lots of plugins that we update regularly but all I have to do in worst case is to take my dongle or ilok home. It should be the same with elicencer as it is the dongle afterall... Anyway I'm glad it's ok now. It was a lot of stress for me but I still think Cubase is the best daw out there. Especially the old Cubase 5 ;)

MrSoundman

Post by MrSoundman » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:25 am

Good to know you got this sorted!

It is however worrying to think that there is a component of this protection system (the "licence database") that can only be updated by connecting to the internet. I'm just about to build a mobile rig with a stripped-down XP which doesn't even have the networking components installed (NLite customised) so this information is very useful and has potentially saved me a lot of time.
Windows 10 • Cubase 10.5.0 • WaveLab 10.0.0 • SpectraLayers 6.0.20 • HALion 6.3.1 • Groove Agent 5.0.20 • Midex

Romantique Tp
External Moderator

Post by Romantique Tp » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:20 pm

To clarify, you only need to connect to the internet if you have a heavily outdated OS. If you download the latest version of the software from elicenser.net, it always comes with an updated license database, so you can update the database by putting the latest installer in an USB flash drive and connecting it to your offline DAW.
Every time someone says "it must be easy to add/fix", a programmer dies.

Cubase Pro and Wavelab Pro (latest), Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, MSI Z87-G45 GAMING, i5 4690k, GeForce GTX 760, almost every Steinberg plugin and expansion, Trilian, Komplete 10, etc etc etc etc

MrSoundman

Post by MrSoundman » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:54 pm

Romantique Tp wrote:If you download the latest version of the software from elicenser.net, it always comes with an updated license database
OK excellent, that got me a little bit worried there for a moment!

robakstudio

Post by robakstudio » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:29 pm

Yes, but the latest version of eLicenser will not run on XP.

MrSoundman

Post by MrSoundman » Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:18 am

robakstudio wrote:Yes, but the latest version of eLicenser will not run on XP.
Now I'm worried again .... :lol:

Dirk Stegemann
Steinberg Employee

Post by Dirk Stegemann » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:58 am

All of your descriptions are correct:
  • The latest eLicenser License Database needs to be installed in order for the system to recognize the latest and greatest licenses.
  • The latest eLicenser Control installer always includes the latest eLicenser License Database.
  • The latest eLicenser Control installer cannot be installed on very old operating systems (XP, Vista).
  • To install the latest eLicenser License Database on an outdated system with a discontinued eLicenser Control, just make eLCC download the latest version of the eLicenser License Database, by using "Support" -> "Update eLicenser License Database...", or "Actions" -> "Maintenance..."
Additionally, if your outdated system with the discontinued eLicenser Control is completely offline, there is another way to install the latest eLicenser License Database, without connecting your offline computer to the Internet:
It is possible to manually copy the eLicenser License Database files from one computer to another.
  • Install the latest eLicenser License Database on a networked computer.
  • Manually copy the eLD files to the offline computer. The files are located here:
  • Windows: %ProgramData%\eLicenser\eLD\
  • OS X: /Library/Application Support/eLicenser/eLD/
Dirk Stegemann
Software Developer & QA
SMTG Digital Unit - Services

Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany

Check out Steinberg on Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram, SoundCloud and Google+!

MrSoundman

Post by MrSoundman » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:23 am

Dirk Stegemann wrote: It is possible to manually copy the eLicenser License Database files from one computer to another.
  • Install the latest eLicenser License Database on a networked computer.
  • Manually copy the eLD files to the offline computer. The files are located here:
  • Windows: %ProgramData%\eLicenser\eLD\
  • OS X: /Library/Application Support/eLicenser/eLD/
Excellent! Thank you for this gem of informaion! :D

WillLarsen

Re: Activation of Cubase 8 deleted my Cubase 5 licence! HELP!

Post by WillLarsen » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:42 am

I can confirm this works! I recently upgraded to Cubase 9.5 on my Mac but I still have Cubase 4 on my old PC because I have a few TB of samples there. My PC could no longer see my Cubase license when I upgraded to 9.5, but it was all working again as soon as I had run the eLicenser Control Centre.

Thanks so much!!

Return to “General”