Disk Overload Error Audio Export?

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 8, Cubase Artist 8 and Cubase Elements 8 here.
krustyhabib

Re: Disk Overload Error Audio Export?

Post by krustyhabib »

I have had the same problem for a couple of days. Can't export anything from any of my projects either normally or real time.

Then I tried switching off the blue 'cycle' button on my transport bar and now I can export. I have never had this problem before - I always have my cycle button on when recording, mixing and editing.

Anyway, maybe there will be a bug fix for this soon.
Custom Studio desktop PC. Win 10 64 bit, i9, 16gb RAM, triple SSD's + 1 spinning hard drive (5Tb total).
Presonus Quantum 2626 thunderbolt 3 interface.
Cubase 10.5; WaveLab 10; Superior Drummer 3.

Swurveman

Post by Swurveman »

The problem is with Realtime Export.

I got a disk error during real time export with moderate VST Peformance levels when using 5 External FX, and got a disk error when I disabled all 5 of my External FX and had extremely low VST Performance. When I took off all my external FX and turned off real time export it exported fine.

Photos of the VST Performance meters with External FX- " VST Performance"- and without External FX- "VST Performance with 5 External FX Disabled" are attached. I've also attached what the VST Performance meter looks like when the export failure occurs, labelled "Export VST Performance".

I can't use Cubase 8 if it can't export audio in realtime with External FX. I'm working with Steinberg support. Hopefully they'll get this worked out for my system, and I'll check back to what the fix is if it is made.

Frank

http://www.songflowerrecording.com
Attachments
VST Performance.jpg
(11.3 KiB) Not downloaded yet
VST Performance with 5 Extermal FX Disabled.jpg
(11.96 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Export VST Performance.jpg
(11.68 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Cubase 10 Pro, Windows 10 , Intel Core i7 CPU, 950 @ 3.07 GHz, 16 GB RAM, , ATI RADEON 5450 Video Card 1GB - Dual DVI, 750GB SATA II 3.0Gb/s 64mb cache Hard Drive (OS), 2 x 1TB SATA II 3.0Gb/s 64mb cache Hard Drive (Media), Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R LGA1366 socket motherboard for Intel® Core™ i7 processor family. Lynx Aurora 16, RME HDSPe

Steve Helstrip

Post by Steve Helstrip »

This has been a problem for me for a few years. Seems a bit random, but only happens in larger projects. You'd have thought that if the project could play without hiccups, it could export without issues.
Hackintosh, 8700K / 4.8GHz, 16Gb, OSX10.14.4
MacBook Pro Retina (2015), i5, 8Gb, OSX10.14.4
Cubase Pro 10
Vienna Ensemble Pro 6
UAD-2 Octo, Focusrite Clarett Thunderbolt
Cubase user since 1989!

http://www.thethrillseekers.co.uk
http://www.twitter.com/stevehelstrip
http://www.facebook.com/thrillseekersofficial

indiescore

Post by indiescore »

Yes, ever since 8, and I think it's driven by CPU more than disk. However I was at the end of lifecycle on my last PC and now run the specs below, if it happens now with an M 2 drive ( basically thunderbolt bandwidth ) for projects and this CPU then I will post.......and it better not........anyhow , last time it happened I was delivering stems to post facility and timing could not have been worse.
Windows 10 w latest update
Cubase 10 pro w latest update
INTEL CORE I7-4790K 4.0 GHZ + 10 % over clock , water cooled.
32GB DDR3 2133 MHZ
GIGABYTE Z97X-GAMING 7 Motherboard
Project drive M.2. Form factor , SSD
2x internal SSD, 2x external SSD USB 3

daksha

Post by daksha »

One more info that maybe could be useful to Steinberg techs in resolving the issue:
-This NEVER happens when I bounce the entire track from position 1.1.1.0
-It happens when I export in every other point of a project: there, the real time export performs a kind of "preroll" where it jumps to a previous bar and starts recording, when it does, disk activity meter jumps to the top and...bang! Disk Overload Error.
-P6T Deluxe v2 + Xeon W3670 - Win 10 64bit
-Cubase 9 64bit + CC121 + iPad 4g (Lemur Controller)
-Steinberg MR816 CSX + Behringer ADA8200 + iConnectivity mio10
-Access Virus TI2 P0lar, Yamaha AN1x, Reface DX, Waldorf Pulse, Roland TB-3, Maschine Mikro MK2 + Nord Modular G1, Axoloti
-Adam A7X + Nanopatch+

mudseason

Post by mudseason »

daksha wrote:One more info that maybe could be useful to Steinberg techs in resolving the issue:
-This NEVER happens when I bounce the entire track from position 1.1.1.0
-It happens when I export in every other point of a project: there, the real time export performs a kind of "preroll" where it jumps to a previous bar and starts recording, when it does, disk activity meter jumps to the top and...bang! Disk Overload Error.
Great! this hint works for me too.
Cubase 8.
I had the overload issue within a project which was the smallest and the lowest quality I ever did (44Khz, 24bit) so it was really odd, but placing the left locator at the beginning worked as workaround.
Hope in a fix anyway.

krustyhabib

Post by krustyhabib »

OK. Two things I did that helped.

1. set ASIO protect to 'high'
2. went through all my projects and deleted Cubase chanel strip settings by inserting a blank strip in all tracks not needing one.

Seems to be working ok now.
Custom Studio desktop PC. Win 10 64 bit, i9, 16gb RAM, triple SSD's + 1 spinning hard drive (5Tb total).
Presonus Quantum 2626 thunderbolt 3 interface.
Cubase 10.5; WaveLab 10; Superior Drummer 3.

daksha

Post by daksha »

mudseason wrote:Great! this hint works for me too.
Cubase 8.
I had the overload issue within a project which was the smallest and the lowest quality I ever did (44Khz, 24bit) so it was really odd, but placing the left locator at the beginning worked as workaround.
Hope in a fix anyway.
I'm happy to see that this makes the difference not only to me. And I hope this means something to Steinberg in order to fix things. I'm working on a 12 minutes track and I need to render 8 bars of drums+bass located at 10 minutes: rendering from the beginning is really annoying, moving a small piece at the beginning is ok, but anyway this isn't the way it should work. "Render in place" isn't an option, bass is from a Virus TI and after 2 bars it simply quits rendering giving no errors and apparently without a cause. This stuff, all together, is a workflow killer.
-P6T Deluxe v2 + Xeon W3670 - Win 10 64bit
-Cubase 9 64bit + CC121 + iPad 4g (Lemur Controller)
-Steinberg MR816 CSX + Behringer ADA8200 + iConnectivity mio10
-Access Virus TI2 P0lar, Yamaha AN1x, Reface DX, Waldorf Pulse, Roland TB-3, Maschine Mikro MK2 + Nord Modular G1, Axoloti
-Adam A7X + Nanopatch+

Swurveman

Post by Swurveman »

I was able to solve the problem for my system. :D

I have an AMD/ATI Radeon HD 5450 Graphics Chipset with a Gigabyte X58a-UD3R motherboard.

I had been using Windows Device Manager to update the AMD HD5450 driver. Whenever I tried to update the driver in the WDM, it told me that I had the latest driver.

Then, I downloaded the AMD Catalyst Control Center. I was told there was a new driver. So, I downloaded the newest driver and immediately, I was able to export my mixes with no Disk Overload Error.

So, I've got my fingers crossed that that was the problem and that I'm good to go.

I'll report back if the problem resumes.
Cubase 10 Pro, Windows 10 , Intel Core i7 CPU, 950 @ 3.07 GHz, 16 GB RAM, , ATI RADEON 5450 Video Card 1GB - Dual DVI, 750GB SATA II 3.0Gb/s 64mb cache Hard Drive (OS), 2 x 1TB SATA II 3.0Gb/s 64mb cache Hard Drive (Media), Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R LGA1366 socket motherboard for Intel® Core™ i7 processor family. Lynx Aurora 16, RME HDSPe

jimmys69

Post by jimmys69 »

Swurveman wrote:I was able to solve the problem for my system. :D

I have an AMD/ATI Radeon HD 5450 Graphics Chipset with a Gigabyte X58a-UD3R motherboard.

I had been using Windows Device Manager to update the AMD HD5450 driver. Whenever I tried to update the driver in the WDM, it told me that I had the latest driver.

Then, I downloaded the AMD Catalyst Control Center. I was told there was a new driver. So, I downloaded the newest driver and immediately, I was able to export my mixes with no Disk Overload Error.

So, I've got my fingers crossed that that was the problem and that I'm good to go.

I'll report back if the problem resumes.
Well isn't that interesting. I just did the same thing for my Intel HD Driver and now I am also able to 'real time' export without DO Error.

:D

Thanks Swurveman!
PC Win7-64-16G i7-4790k/Cubase 5-6-7 32 bit, Cubase 8-9 Pro 64-bit/2-Steinberg UR824's/ADAM A7X/Event TR8/SS Trigger Plat Deluxe/Melodyne Editor

jimmys69

Post by jimmys69 »

Oh... It is nice to see Melodyne run during real-time export... :)
PC Win7-64-16G i7-4790k/Cubase 5-6-7 32 bit, Cubase 8-9 Pro 64-bit/2-Steinberg UR824's/ADAM A7X/Event TR8/SS Trigger Plat Deluxe/Melodyne Editor

rosesound

Post by rosesound »

I got the same thing here..

none of the abow fix worked for me..

but when I disabled real time bounce, it worked no problem.. hope for an update fix..
Best regards

Jens Kristian

Win10, I7-4770K, GTX760, 16Gb ram, Samsung EVO850 SSD's, WD Raptor. Wavlab 8,5, Cubase 8, Halion 5, SteveSlate drums, UAD duo, RME FF800, Genelec 8050.

Swurveman

Post by Swurveman »

Well, the problem's back.

Today, I successfully exported a 96Khz project. Then, I closed Cubase and reset my Aurora 16 to 44.1 Khz, because I needed to work on a project at that sample rate. When it came to export the 44.1 project, I got the Disk Overload error. I closed the project again and increased the buffer size, even though I'm hardly taxing my computer and it happened again. Rebooted - happened again.

Awful. :(
Last edited by Swurveman on Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sonik

Post by Sonik »

Lately I had this problem too. I've to try some times to get off the error... Sometimes it takes a lot to make it work... :(
Macbook Pro i9 32gb|Studio One 5|Protools 2020.5|Cubase Pro 10.5.20|Wavelab 10.0.40|Logic X|Apollo Quad|4xUAD-2 (24 core)
Manley Massive Passive|Thermionic Phoenix Mastering Plus|Maselec MLA-2|API 2500|Avalon 737sp|Summit TLA-100A|Distressor EL8-X|Apogee Symphony||Euphonix McMix x2|Dangerous Music 2 Bus LT|ATC SCM20 ASL Pro|Amphion One18|
Halion Sonic 3|Komplete12 Ultimate|Stylus RMX|Trilian|Omnisphere 2.6|VSL Strings|EW Pianos|ReFx Nexus 3|AirMusicTech|Sylenth|Predator|Kick 2|Serum|ANA2|Korg Collection 2
UAD|Waves|Soundtoys|Melodyne|Softube|Brainworx|PluginAlliance|Fabfilter|Sonnox|Eventide|Oeksound

kzarider

Post by kzarider »

I too have this error, Export Audio Mixdown shows 0% never moves. Can't hit cancel to get out of process. Sometimes process completes and I have mix after extended period of time. Was working in Logic today with another engineer and when he bounced tracks for me it was really fast and painless. I was extremely jealous :cry:

I will try the video card update as suggested and post if that helps
Kenny
PC i7-8770K Gigabyte 370 Win10 64bit -32gb ram; i7 2015 MackBook Pro; Cubase 9.5, Wavelab 8.5, Presonus 3, Digital Performer, Access Virus TI2, Vienna Instruments Cube-MIR-Pro 5, Imperial Grand, EastWest PlayComposer, UAD Quad, Baldwin L3, Hammond B3-Sk2, Rhodes, Wurlitzer 200, Hohner Clav, Waldorf, NI Komplete 10, Gretch Brooklyn, Omnisphere, Keyscape, Trillian, RMX, Superior Drums, BFD, etc. Antelope Orion 32HD, Antelope Goliath HD
http://zkeysmusic.com/
https://soundcloud.com/search?q=zkeysmusic
https://www.facebook.com/ZKeys-Studio-1608666072789495/

matjones

Post by matjones »

I've started to experience this too on projects of different sizes, also if i use offline export the gui does not update and i cannot cancel out of the mixdown, i have to wait for it to complete.
I also started getting a nag screen from my gpu that there is a driver update so i'll give that a go later on and report back... also this seem to work better if i export from the start of the track and leave a bar or two of pre roll....
Cubase 10.5.12 Asus Z390-Plus, i9 9900 @ (3.7) 5GHz, 64GB DDR4 3000Mhz RAM, RME Multiface II PCIe, SSL Alpha Channel/Fusion, UAD2 Octo/Solo/Quad, UA6176, Neve 8801/8803, Loads of plugs, WL10, Melodyne Studio 5, Arturia VC7, iZotope MPS, Eventide XI, Various toys, Telefunken, Neumann, AKG, Austrian Audio, Sontronics, Shure Mics, Adam A7X and Avantone monitors, AKG K702, ATH-M70x, Nektar P6, Warwick, Spector Basses, Gibson Les Paul Studio & loads of other junk.

Minds are like parachutes, they work best when they're open.

Mike001

Post by Mike001 »

Hi,
Just finished extensive test on this and am sure it is a BUG. :shock:
6 midi Steinberg product vst tracks 38 bars long.
Right locator on 39.
Left locator moving progressively from 1 to 38.
Set to 48k, 32bit float.
Real time export worked on some bar locations but not others.

Not working on :-

Worked on all other bar locations.
This must be a BUG.

Please could someone else try the same test.
Regards
Mike001
Never forget your ? . Cubase 9, Scan 3xs Windows7 i7 64bit 16Gig ram,Focusrite 18i6,Mackie HR824 Mk1,Komplete11,Korg Legacy Analog & Digital,Halion6,Sylenth1,Ace,Z3TA,Stutter Edit,Groove Agent4,Arturia V Collection
Yamaha Dx7 Mk1,Ensoniq Asr10,Juno106,Basstation,Super Basstation,Mikro Korg,Yamaha O1v Mk1,Shure SM58,etc,etc

barryfell

Post by barryfell »

Grrrrrr i'm getting so annoyed as this Disk Overload Error. :( It's really wrecking my workflow as I simply can't bounce any tracks that use hardware in them thus need a realtime bounce. I have to move the part to an empty part of the project, then bounce it, then go back and put it where I want.

I wish I could just bounce a whole track in realtime, never mind just parts in situ.

I'm bouncing to a 500mb/s Samsung SSD, so it's certainly not a drive speed issue, and my average-processing load meter is only about 50%. (i7 4790k @ 4.8ghz)

I really hope this issue gets looked at, there must be something wrong with C8 to generate this many issue reports.
Windows 10 / Cubase Pro 9.5 x64

kzarider

Post by kzarider »

Well after updating the Video driver the meter works. I still get overload errors using hardware but if I set latency very high I can usually get through a mix.
Kenny
PC i7-8770K Gigabyte 370 Win10 64bit -32gb ram; i7 2015 MackBook Pro; Cubase 9.5, Wavelab 8.5, Presonus 3, Digital Performer, Access Virus TI2, Vienna Instruments Cube-MIR-Pro 5, Imperial Grand, EastWest PlayComposer, UAD Quad, Baldwin L3, Hammond B3-Sk2, Rhodes, Wurlitzer 200, Hohner Clav, Waldorf, NI Komplete 10, Gretch Brooklyn, Omnisphere, Keyscape, Trillian, RMX, Superior Drums, BFD, etc. Antelope Orion 32HD, Antelope Goliath HD
http://zkeysmusic.com/
https://soundcloud.com/search?q=zkeysmusic
https://www.facebook.com/ZKeys-Studio-1608666072789495/

harryhirn

Post by harryhirn »

*push*

well...
i moved to windows 10 and have cubase in the latest version installed and a samsung ssd as well...

no chance to export in real time...
and i have to because of virus ti...

what i observed is that when your track is in stop and you just click somewhere on the timeline to move the playbar to that position, the disk cache load meter peaks for a short time. i think this has something to do with the overload at rendering start... anyone else can observe this?

i hope this problem get fixed by steinberg as soon as possible because i am working on a remix with a deadline at the end of the month :?

matjones

Post by matjones »

I've not had this issue for a few days now.... i've updated my gpu driver, iLok and eLC, something i did notice before though was the problem didn't seem to occur if i exported a couple of bars before any events in the project kick in...
If i tried to export from the start of the project proper, the play cursor would not jump back to the beginning of the project as it does if i left a few blank bars before it....
Might be worth people trying this if they haven't already....
Cubase 10.5.12 Asus Z390-Plus, i9 9900 @ (3.7) 5GHz, 64GB DDR4 3000Mhz RAM, RME Multiface II PCIe, SSL Alpha Channel/Fusion, UAD2 Octo/Solo/Quad, UA6176, Neve 8801/8803, Loads of plugs, WL10, Melodyne Studio 5, Arturia VC7, iZotope MPS, Eventide XI, Various toys, Telefunken, Neumann, AKG, Austrian Audio, Sontronics, Shure Mics, Adam A7X and Avantone monitors, AKG K702, ATH-M70x, Nektar P6, Warwick, Spector Basses, Gibson Les Paul Studio & loads of other junk.

Minds are like parachutes, they work best when they're open.

harryhirn

Post by harryhirn »

short update:

cubase 8.0.30 is out and solved the problem for me!

barryfell

Post by barryfell »

harryhirn wrote:short update:

cubase 8.0.30 is out and solved the problem for me!
It didn't for me. Exactly the same as always here.
Windows 10 / Cubase Pro 9.5 x64

Swurveman

Post by Swurveman »

kzarider wrote:Well after updating the Video driver the meter works. I still get overload errors using hardware but if I set latency very high I can usually get through a mix.
Kenny
I recently had success on an original 6.07 project that I was exporting in 8 Pro. I used the maximum buffer size for my RME interface, which is 4096. This turned off ASIO-GUARD and the export worked. So, if you have a high buffer interface try that. However, it is strange that a project that is running perfectly fine at a 256 buffer size needs a buffer size 16 times its size to successfully mix down a project.

Brian Roland

Post by Brian Roland »

I had something similar to this:

The short version:
Bad SSD drives!
If you have SSD, no matter what brand/model...check for firmware/driver updates and make sure your rig is optimized for them! (Cache sizes, over-provision area, proper AHCI drivers, OS indexing options, etc)

Persisted on two of my older AMD 2+ and Core Duo platforms with multiple audio devices...both PCI and USB, both ASIO and aggregated WDM drivers:

First I noticed many VSTi plugins that stream samples reporting 'disk loss' errors.

Later when I started doing more with audio tracks I ran into occasional problems here as well.

I ran all kinds of tests, on memory, cpu stability, disk drives, latency, etc...and everything passed with flying colors.

Installed on a friend's PC...even lower specced than mine, and it all worked well.

As a last ditch effort I moved all my streaming files to an old set of raided hard drives and CuBase started running like a top! I didn't hear anymore issues until I loaded up enough samples in my 8gig rig that the system started hitting the pagefile.

A few more weeks of moving things around (using xcopy and mklink junctions), and I finally NAILED my problem:
It was two SSD drives:
PNY SSD2SC120G5LC709B121-510
PNY SSD2SC240G3LC709B121-460P

Yep: Tried them on four different SATA hosts (both SATA3 and SATA2), new cables, verified power supply, etc...in two different motherboards (One AMD AM2+ and One Intel Core 2). Tried AHCI and IDE drivers. Hunted updates and such from PNY. They simply seem to HATE A/V streaming activity.

Tried with other DAWS, and they didn't do so well on those either (disk loss errors with the VSTi plugins, and intermittent pops and clicks when streaming straight up audio).

With some further testing, I discovered they introduce system interrupts (sometimes rather noticeable pauses) when hosting OS pagefiles. While they benchmark ok, and pass the latency tests recommended by Steinberg, there's just something about them that doesn't get along with streaming or memory swapping.

Until I could get some replacement SSD drives, I fell back to some rather old raided SATA2 raptors and all those nasty disk errors went away. Now I'm running a mix mash of Samsung model SSD drives (830 and 840) for the OS, pagefile, and any streaming VSTi content, and things work really well. The big audio files get scattered across whatever platter drives I can get my hands on.

Note: With the Samsung drives, I have them and the system optimized as recommended by the included SSD Magic software that came with them. There are quite a few options on setting up those drives, and since I've owned them at least three firmware and driver updates have been pushed through. In contrast, the PNY drives did NOT come with any OS/drive optimization software, and I haven't seen a single firmware or driver update on them in well over a year.

With 8.0.20, I could still see alot of spiky looking activity in the performance monitor, but it didn't effect the sound and workflow so I simply ignored it, and true OS CPU monitors never topped 20% (running about 40 tracks of VSTi plugins [Mostly Halion 5 and ARIA/sforzando/bidule), plus 8 to 12 audio tracks with about half a dozen VST effects. Now, with 8.0.30, the spiking activity seems to have gone away.

For what it's worth.....
Grab a different hard drive (even if it's an old SATA2 platter laying around in your closet), pull out all the SSD units, and see what happens with a fresh install with everything running from that. Wish I'd tried that, as it would have saved me many hours of moving stuff around to discover my 'bad drives'.

Return to “General”